or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Sony Cyber-shot S-series digital cams revealed

New Sony Cyber-shot S-series digital cams revealed - Page 2

post #41 of 107
This article has no business being here. The fact that Sony is not making an appearance at the same tradeshow as Apple is NOT Apple news. Seriously, wtf?
pe@ce
pe@ce
post #42 of 107
Quote:
Well, after reading the posts on this site for over a year, THIS was the one that got me to register.

Wow, so registering doesn't take a month now?
post #43 of 107
If this is a joke... I don't get it. Is it a fake story/advertisement?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 107
When I read this article I was like "jigga wha?!"
But I guess it is a good distraction to scandal rumors that are flying around, and the iTunes store crashing. To the people who are leaving to go to MacRumors, forever, I just don't understand how one article can sway a change that drastic. I wold understand if AI made "buyout" posts a common thing, but to leave forever because of one post is just ridiculous.

FYI I read AppleInsider, MacRumors, and ThinkSecret.
Your "Cult of Personality in a Vain Effort to Alleviate the Deep Emptiness Living in a Harsh, Cruel Universe" (CPVEADELHCU) continues to grow.
Your "Cult of Personality in a Vain Effort to Alleviate the Deep Emptiness Living in a Harsh, Cruel Universe" (CPVEADELHCU) continues to grow.
post #45 of 107
You guys are extremely harsh and, to some extent, down right insulting. The images and information turned up in a filing with the FCC. It's an unreleased Sony camera in which we thought some readers might be interested. There's no 'payoff' or other incentive behind the article.

The last time we checked, a lot of our readers owned digital cameras. Considering Apple authors applications like iPhoto and Aperture but does not manufacturer a digital camera, we figured some people may own or be looking into a Sony.

If you don't care about Sony cameras then don't read the article. The title was clear. It was not misleading. If you think the information we publish here is 'dumb' and 'irrelevant' then don't read it. If you feel another publication offers a better experience, then, by all means, go there. It's simple. We don't hold our readers to anything.

We'll have something more 'relevant' for you guys real soon.

Happy New Year,

Kasper
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #46 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

What a bunch of fucking candy-asses!

Wahhh! I'm going to MacRumors! Wahh!

I heard MacRumors was brown. Like poo.
post #47 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

You guys are extremely harsh and, to some extent, down right insulting. The images and information turned up in a filing with the FCC. It's an unreleased Sony camera in which we thought some readers might be interested. There's no 'payoff' or other incentive behind the article.

The last time we checked, a lot of our readers owned digital cameras. Considering Apple authors applications like iPhoto and Aperture but does not manufacturer a digital camera, we figured some people may own or be looking into a Sony.

If you don't care about Sony cameras then don't read the article. The title was clear. It was not misleading. If you think the information we publish here is 'dumb' and 'irrelevant' then don't read it. If you feel another publication offers a better experience, then, by all means, go there. It's simple. We don't hold our readers to anything.

Happy New Year,

Kasper

Kasper, thank you for the work you do and the website.

I don't mean to be cheesy or anything, but I don't think it's often said: AppleInsider's a great community, the news bits are usually interesting (and the fact that you seem to be one of the more accurate rumor sites helps too), and I always enjoy coming here (duh, I waste all my time here... ) This really is a great site and most people here do really appreciate what you do, even if there are one to many iPhone or SEC articles

I just feel like that needs to be said, since anonymous internet weirdo's only seem to be able to talk trash.
post #48 of 107
I think non-Apple news and rumors would be better off on another section of the website. It was just weird to suddenly see a story about a Sony camera with absolutely no connection to Apple whatsoever. Also, Engadget reported on this last week. It's a boring camera that shows how little Sony inovates nowadays.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #49 of 107
Quote:

Happy New Year,

Kasper

I think the "problem" with the article was that it seemed very out of character. AI hasn't historically broken news stories regarding non-Apple hardware unless it was directly related to some sort of Apple strategy. Of-course we can look at the headline ignore the article, but you have a forum attached to these stories and obviously people who find something to question, they will, and unless you are changing the direction of AI without mentioning it to your readers, then this topic should be expected.
post #50 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

...shows how little Sony inovates nowadays.

'tis true.
post #51 of 107
Kasper, instead of being insulted, you should feel flattered... reason is that your readership holds this site to a high standard. I wouldn't bother writing or criticising just any old site - but AppleInsider is such a great site and community that I took it personally when I saw something bad happening that might lead to a deterioration of the site.

We complain, because we care. This was not a good story. And I'll let you in on a small secret, which several posters pointed out: if you were to address the foto fans here, Sony would be the last camera to highlight - think Canon or Nikon or even Pentax or Olympus... but Sony???

Just because Apple puts out FCP, does it mean that you'll start pimping for video camera manufacturers? You know, this way there is nothing you can stop at.

Please don't do this. This was a very bad misjudgment.

I love this site. Please keep it wonderful and amazing.
post #52 of 107
...and?

I can't believe this article was even written.

It's nothing personal against the staff of AI, this is purely critique.
post #53 of 107
Quote:

Happy New Year,

Kasper

It did seem a little odd to see something that had little or nothing to do with Apple posted as a news item where all news is Apple news, but I agree, it was to some extent interesting for some readers at this site.

Perhaps any future non apple articles should be designated someway?
post #54 of 107
Quote:

Happy New Year,

Kasper

I'm a great fan of AI, it's the only mac rumor site I read. I'm not about to switch because of one out of place article. But I think you have to admit to yourself a misjudgment was made as indicated by the responses here.

keep up the (otherwise ) good work
post #55 of 107
This is not only a lame article (who cares about Sony's entry level camera??) it looks like a lame camera. I just bought a Canon with 7.1MP and a 4x zoom for $169 for Xmas. Actually, I bought two. And they use SD and not memory stick.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of what APPLE will be bringing out next month.
post #56 of 107
Quote:

If you don't care about [FILL IN WHATEVER] then don't read the article. The title was clear. It was not misleading. If you think the information we publish here is 'dumb' and 'irrelevant' then don't read it. If you feel another publication offers a better experience, then, by all means, go there. It's simple. We don't hold our readers to anything........

Well said, Kasper.

I am struck by how much perfection people expect from things in life that are essentially -- or perhaps because they are -- free.
post #57 of 107
This is my first append too. I "assume" that this was a mistake. The only mention of Apple in the article is to say that they're NOT going to be present at Macworld.

Surely this can't be serious. This must be removed otherwise the legitimacy of this site will have been called into question. Why a Sony sounding board on an Apple website?????

And Sony (yuck, pyuck) of all companies?
post #58 of 107
Quote:

The title is misleading. The website says "AppleInsider". All posts so far have somehow been related to Apple. Seeing a title about Sony the reader assumes on faith that the article must somehow have something to do with Apple, otherwise it wouldn't be posted as news on an AppleInsider website.
You can post it somewhere else, or flag that its not Apple related. I think the irritation is that folks read it assuming its Apple news and are confused as to why its been posted there. Having random posts with nothing to do with Apple will diminish the value of the site.
post #59 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Also, Engadget reported on this last week.

I just found it.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/23/s...-fcc-go-ahead/

Dec 23.

Not as many photos, they didn't see fit to show off the charger cable.
post #60 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

This is my first append too. I "assume" that this was a mistake. The only mention of Apple in the article is to say that they're NOT going to be present at Macworld.

Surely this can't be serious. This must be removed otherwise the legitimacy of this site will have been called into question. Why a Sony sounding board on an Apple website?????

And Sony (yuck, pyuck) of all companies?

You guys are being WAY too harsh on AI! I dont see any of you putting fingers to keyboard to bring info to the world. To do what AI does takes alot of hard work im sure and i for one take my hats off to them! I put up with banner ads for crap i dont want, so reading the odd post that is of no interest to me is VERY little to pay. I pay my TV licence in the UK and get all of the BBC stuff for the fee - and well worth it is too; but the bastards keep putting sports on the tv, radio and websites... i have no interest in that crap either but they have to satisfy a wide range of 'customers' all with different tastes... erm.... yeah... Hmmm... ok, so ive forgotten my point...

Sausage rolls rule!
post #61 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton View Post

How about a TV made by Nokia?

Actually, Nokia used to make quite good TVs, but they sold their television division in 1996

Otherwise: I have to agree with you guys, this article was completely Apple-irrelevant, and the cameras look so boring that they wouldn't have deserved any mentioning if this was "GadgetInsider" either (heck, my almost 1 year old P&S camera has similar specs but can be used under water).

Hey, AppleInsider, today is an important day for Apple, please keep that christmas intern guy busy cleaning dust - we don't need his bogus articles
post #62 of 107
Quote:

And I don't understand why anyone would buy a camera from Sony anyway. Would you buy a computer made by Toyota?

They would if Toyota bought Apple. Which is basically what happened when Sony bought Minolta... or did you miss that detail?

And who on earth would buy a music player made by a computer company!!???

Oh... and Sony has Zeiss lenses too... Though not sure if the lens on this camera is... and not interested in checking.

There is an entire community that thinks Sony's A100 is the best consumer level DSLR on the market. I'm certainly happy with mine (and no, I don't use Memory Stick, the A100 takes CF).

I hope Kasper will release a story on the A10 (replacement for the Minolta D7) when it's released... hopefully next month.

The only problem with the Sony Alpha is that the lenses... though fantastic... are a bit too expensive, especially the CZ lenses. Easily more than the whole camera with two entry-level lens kit. And used Minolta lenses are much more expensive than used Nikon or Canon glass...

Try this site... http://www.dyxum.com

Oh... and Samsung and Casio and Panasonic are selling a shitload of digital cameras, if you didn't notice.
post #63 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

They would if Toyota bought Apple. Which is basically what happened when Sony bought Minolta... or did you miss that detail?

That's for DSLRs (the Sony Alpha brand). This camera is compact, and Sony's compact cameras (Cybershot) are completely unrelated to KonicaMinolta.
post #64 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

That's for DSLRs (the Sony Alpha brand). This camera is compact, and Sony's compact cameras (Cybershot) are completely unrelated to KonicaMinolta.

So far.

Did you forget that KM made compact cameras too? Mightn't Sony benefit from that technology?

And the CyberShots have been using Zeiss glass for a long time. Not to mention that the CCDs in your Nikons and Canons are made by... that's right... Sony.
post #65 of 107
Quote:

So far.

Did you forget that KM made compact cameras too? Mightn't Sony benefit from that technology?

No, they "mightn't", because they didn't buy that R&D.

KM ceased production, but they didn't sell their knowledge.

Quote:
And the CyberShots have been using Zeiss glass for a long time. Not to mention that the CCDs in your Nikons and Canons are made by... that's right... Sony.

Your point being

I didn't bash Sony; I merely pointed out that there is no correlation whatsoever between this Cybershot S700 and KonicaMinolta. The Alpha is a wholly different product line. The CCDs are a wholly different production area.
post #66 of 107
Quote:

Kasper

Well Appleinsider, I think the reason for our 'reactions' is that the post felt very off-topic for an otherwise strictly Apple site. Us readers hold You in high regard for only posting news that are directly to Apple. There are many other websites that post news in a mix of Apple and other brands, but we visit Appleinsider so that we get the 'creme de la creme' and don't have to worry about being exposed to uninteresting news (considering our primary interest lies in Apple). Yes I own a digital camera, but also a printer, LCD-screen, walkman-phone, external harddrives etc. That doesn't mean I'm interested in reading about it/them here. Many of the harsch reactions our probably based on fear of Appleinsider turning into one of those sites that we have learned to avoid. You ain't broke, so don't fix yourself! Keep in doing what you have been doing and we'll keep on visiting as we have been doing!

PS. Yes the connection with MacWorld was really lame, you have to admit at least that...
post #67 of 107
Quote:

No, they "mightn't", because they didn't buy that R&D.

Really? It doesn't really matter much to me, and I'm not a Sony "Fanboy" (though I love my Alpha), but I was under the impression that Sony bought the entire KM camera division, leaving mainly just the copiers. As I understand it, that "camera division" would include all photography related products. KM didn't have two camera divisions...

Sony didn't just buy the A-Mount system. They bought the whole shebang.

And although I am not a Sony fanboy, I am a Minolta fanboy, though honestly, I always thought Sony compact digital cameras were way better than the Minolta crap...

Sony actually makes pretty good digital cameras. Read the reviews of the S600 (the predecessor to the one this story is about)! Some even say it was the best $200 camera of 2006.
post #68 of 107
Quote:

Really? It doesn't really matter much to me, and I'm not a Sony "Fanboy" (though I love my Alpha), but I was under the impression that Sony bought the entire KM camera division, leaving mainly just the copiers. As I understand it, that "camera division" would include all photography related products. KM didn't have two camera divisions...

Hmm

Press Release
Quote:
Partial Transfer of Certain Assets Related to Digital SLR cameras

I think that headline says it all.

Quote:
they have decided to transfer a certain portion of Konica Minolta PI s assets related to digital SLR cameras to Sony

Quote:
Sony will receive certain assets from Konica Minolta PI that are necessary for the development, design, production and so forth of digital SLR cameras compatible with Konica Minolta PIs Maxxum/Dynax lens mount system

Quote:
Konica Minolta Group will concentrate on its core business technologies field and its strategic optics and display devices field and withdraw from camera business*** as of March 31, 2006. At the same time, Konica Minolta PI will partially transfer certain assets related to digital SLR cameras to Sony.

From April 1 2006, Konica Minolta PI will consign the customer service operations for Konica Minolta cameras and related products* to Sony, and Sony will implement service operations from that date onward.

So I understand Sony will handle support for all Konica Minolta cameras, but has only received R&D related to their DSLR ones.

Quote:
Sony didn't just buy the A-Mount system. They bought the whole shebang.

The press release seems to contradict that.

Quote:
Sony actually makes pretty good digital cameras. Read the reviews of the S600 (the predecessor to the one this story is about)! Some even say it was the best $200 camera of 2006.

Honestly, I have nothing against their digital cameras, nor am I trying to be argumentative; just curious.
post #69 of 107
Quote:

So, really, this has nothing to do with Apple at all. Appleinsider is really clutching at straws for stories applicable to Apple if they are talking about another trade show that just happens to be in the same week as Macworld.

And I don't understand why anyone would buy a camera from Sony anyway. Would you buy a computer made by Toyota? How about a TV made by Nokia? Then if you're going to buy a camera, buy one from a camera maker: Nikon, Canon, etc. It's their business to make cameras, so you can be sure that they make good ones!

Sony is one of world's largest camera sensor manufacturers. They provide CCD chips to Nikon and Pentax. Kodak may be the only company to rival their volume.

Edit:

Sony has been making CCDs well before their purchase of Konica-Minolta.
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

from Jabberwocky, excerpt from Alice through the looking...
"Beware the Jabberwock , my son! The jaws that bite, the claw that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the the frumious Bandersnatch!"

post #70 of 107
I've read the article, I've read this thread and Kaspers post, and I'm as confused as anyone. This is an Apple related site, it says so in the name. If this was on a general tech site like Engadget, no problem, but this has no relevance to Apple or Mac users, apart from the very tenuous link stated that we have computers and some of us have Sony cameras. I'll still read this site and I'm not going to boycott the place and tell everybody its evil, but if you want to post this stuff then maybe have an Off Topic or Other News section, but leave it off the main links.

In other news, I'm a Mac user, and Mac users eat food, so I'm going to get some dinner now .
post #71 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidR View Post

Sony is one of world's largest camera sensor manufacturers. They provide CCD chips to Nikon and Pentax. Kodak may be the only company to rival their volume.

Edit:

Sony has been making CCDs well before their purchase of Konica-Minolta.

Nobody is disputing any of that.
post #72 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

In other news, I'm a Mac user, and Mac users eat food, so I'm going to get some dinner now .

At nine in the morning?
edit: oops i realized you live in the uk.
post #73 of 107
Quote:

Denton's original post seemed to be ignorant of Sony's involvment in the digital camera industry. All the subseqeunt posts seemed to imply that Sony bought their CCD tech from KM.

post #74 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post

This could be an 'April fool's joke' since 28th of dec is the date for pranks in the hispanic community (or something like that). Appleinsider may very well be sitting and laughing at this thread as we speak.

nahh, while dec 28 IS dia de los santos inocentes, i think this just has more to do with apple insider editors being sony camera fanboys.
post #75 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The C3/64 thing is reasonably relevant. It would seem that Adobe is too risk-averse for its own good.

That Article pissed me off and it should be the type of thing Ai should be writing about... Love the part about how Adobe thinks Mac OS X isn't fully 64-bit.. it's been 64 bit for 2 yrs now, and with Leopard on the horizon, where is Adobe's head!??

http://news.com.com/2061-10791_3-6146229.html?tag=tb
post #76 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

That Article pissed me off and it should be the type of thing Ai should be writing about... Love the part about how Adobe thinks Mac OS X isn't fully 64-bit.. it's been 64 bit for 2 yrs now, and with Leopard on the horizon, where is Adobe's head!??

My understanding is that Tiger has 64 bit available as a back end, but not for the front end. It was mainly useful for scientific computing and such. Leopard is supposed to complete the loop.
post #77 of 107
If we're talking cameras, why not talk pretty ones, like the NV10;

(my baby)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #78 of 107
If a new member had posted this story, he would have been suspected of spamming and stealth marketing. That this comes from AI is shocking. You should ban yourself. With the reasoning you gave, one could justify posting a press release for autos. After all, iPods are big sellers and people will want to listen to them in their cars. Apple makes many portable devices and almost everyone who uses them also drives a car. Why not post on the latest in active wear since many iPod nano users are into running and exercise. Sure, I like to be informed about the latest technology breakthroughs. But how is this camera series a breakthrough? What about these cameras makes them newsworthy?

In short, you need to explain the relevance of the story or lock it. Blaming your readers for pointing this out is a good way to lose credibility and members. If you do not care about that, then by all means, do nothing.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #79 of 107
Quote:

Canon is, by far, the largest maker and seller of digital cameras. They make most of their own chips, despite an ill advised foray into Sony chips a few years ago.

Therefore, they are also one of the largest sensor makers.
post #80 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by domerdel View Post

http://news.com.com/2061-10791_3-6146229.html?tag=tb

Adobe is right. OS version 10.4 is not completely 64 bt, only parts are. 10.5 will be far more complete.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › New Sony Cyber-shot S-series digital cams revealed