or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Saddam To Be Hanged in 48 Hours.

Saddam To Be Hanged in 48 Hours.

post #1 of 93
Here's the story.

Whom on these boards will wail and gnash their teeth at the impending death of this wretched specimen of homo sapiens?

I will not.

Will you?

V/R,

Aries 1B

PS: Happy Eid ul-Adha to the Iraqi People.
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #2 of 93
I'm certainly no pro-Saddamist, but the whole trial certainly smelled funny, plus why wasn't he charged with crimes related to invading Kuwait?

It's pretty clear his trial was rushed and now he's being thrown to the mob. I'm for trying Saddam, but in a clear, legal way, not the Iraqi kangaroo court we've seen.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm certainly no pro-Saddamist, but the whole trial certainly smelled funny, plus why wasn't he charged with crimes related to invading Kuwait?

It's pretty clear his trial was rushed and now he's being thrown to the mob. I'm for trying Saddam, but in a clear, legal way, not the Iraqi kangaroo court we've seen.

Saddam is an Iraqi, his crimes were against the Iraqis, it's only just that he be tried by the Iraqis.

Hope he enjoys Hell.

The SouthPark Movie comes to life....
"Heyyyy, Satan!"

V/R,

Aries 1B
post #4 of 93
I will. The death penalty is barbaric for anyone.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #5 of 93
I can imagine there are plenty of people seeking Saddam's blood right now, and they will have it, but it certainly does nothing to elevate the Iraqi people's condition right now, and it won't get the electricity flowing any quicker.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #6 of 93
Before I can agree with BR, I need to have a better intellectual construction for why the death penalty is implicitly wrong. My view point depend upon the fact that in most cases prosecuted in the US (and elsewhere) the rates of people put to death mistakenly are beyond the pail (which I set at none since the state should not be responsible for ending ANY innocent people's lives). There are some cases, however, that this intellectual motivation for my dislike of the death penalty where it is well within reason that the person actually committed the crime -- say with a video tape of the individual killing someone, or in the case of Saddam a pile of evidence waist deep.

What I am looking for is a sort of intellectual segue into an idea that the reason Saddam ordered those people murdered is partially due to his belief that that was a legitimate act... Or perhaps something a little more cunning, like societal responsibility for the acts of individuals -- most murderers don't get there alone...

Anyone? BR?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #7 of 93

Gallows Tailgate Party Checklist

Tickets
Grill
Baggo Game, Frisbee, Rope (for making party nooses), Cards etc.
Charcoal
Wood Chips (hickory, mesquite or other)
Lighter Fluid
Matches
Spatula
Tongs
Food (don't bother going without food!)
Condiments (hot sauce, mustard, ketchup, mayo etc.)
Salt & Pepper
Buns/Bread
Plates, spoons, forks, knives
Bottle Opener/Corkscrew
Napkins/Paper Towels
Chairs
Camping table or Card table
Cooler
Ice
Oven mitts
Soda, Beer, or other refreshments
Blender
Generator
TV and or Radio
Favorite Tailgatin' Tunes
Aluminum Foil
Camera
Binoculars
Radio Headphones
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Rain Poncho
First Aid gear...aspirin, bandages, alcohol, etc.
Trash Bag
Gallon of Water (to put out the hot coals after you dump 'em)
Pop Up Shelter
Container(s) for any left over food
Victory cigar
HDV camcorder for subsequent YouTube broadcast

Are you ready for some hanging?

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #8 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

beyond the pail

How far beyond depends entirely on how hard he kicks the bucket.

"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #9 of 93

post #10 of 93
I will.

Not for the sucker himself, but for the principle. And for the f*cked up chain of prior events the proves the cure can be worse than the disease. And espacially because some people will actually feel good about all this.
It's Better To Be Hated For What You Are Than To Be Loved For What You Are Not
post #11 of 93
I have no sympathy for him, but I don't see any good coming from this. His hanging will be another black mark on the new Iraq.
post #12 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

Saddam is an Iraqi, his crimes were against the Iraqis, it's only just that he be tried by the Iraqis.

As if. www.foxnews.com
Saddam Hussein remained in U.S. custody as of Friday morning ahead of his pending execution
post #13 of 93
Iraq will explode after this.
post #14 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac on a Mac View Post

I have no sympathy for him, but I don't see any good coming from this. His hanging will be another black mark on the new Iraq.

Now there's a realistic attitude! I'm sure Bush will crow about this but what has it got us?

Did we get the man behind 911? Certainly not. If it was Bin Lauden I could understand crowing. But it's kind of like a stand in. Or like Bush's personal vendetta ( " They tried to kill my daddy " ).
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #15 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpcMs View Post

As if. www.foxnews.com
Saddam Hussein remained in U.S. custody as of Friday morning ahead of his pending execution

Yeah, I don't get it, I mean, like the Iraqi police are just so honest, so trustworthy, so above reproach, they would never take a bribe to set him free, they would never kill him out of spite, because we all know that they are just so civil, so honest, ...

post #16 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Before I can agree with BR, I need to have a better intellectual construction for why the death penalty is implicitly wrong. My view point depend upon the fact that in most cases prosecuted in the US (and elsewhere) the rates of people put to death mistakenly are beyond the pail (which I set at none since the state should not be responsible for ending ANY innocent people's lives). There are some cases, however, that this intellectual motivation for my dislike of the death penalty where it is well within reason that the person actually committed the crime -- say with a video tape of the individual killing someone, or in the case of Saddam a pile of evidence waist deep.

What I am looking for is a sort of intellectual segue into an idea that the reason Saddam ordered those people murdered is partially due to his belief that that was a legitimate act... Or perhaps something a little more cunning, like societal responsibility for the acts of individuals -- most murderers don't get there alone...

Anyone? BR?

The death penalty isn't about justice. It's about vengeance. That's the problem. If you lock him away in some facility somewhere for the rest of his life he can't harm others again either.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #17 of 93
When will those who enabled and financed Saddam's crimes, and those who were accessory (before and after the fact) to Saddam's crimes, get charged with similar crimes?

When will we see extraditions, so the accused parties will face Iraqi courts?

Re. the death penalty, or state sanctioned murder....
The BushCorp authorized invasion of Iraq is the direct cause of over half a million people being murdered in some way or another. BushCorp is responsible for bringing about genocide, based on lies. There has been too many deaths of innocents to be concerned about mourning the questionable death of one of our old allies.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #18 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Now there's a realistic attitude! I'm sure Bush will crow about this but what has it got us?

Did we get the man behind 911? Certainly not. If it was Bin Lauden I could understand crowing. But it's kind of like a stand in. Or like Bush's personal vendetta ( " They tried to kill my daddy " ).

You bet he will crow about it, but it means nothing. This will be hailed as another milestone in the war on evil, but will be as worthless as each before it. We are down to measuring victory by the body count rather than conditions in Iraq. As long as we kill more of them than they do of us, progress is being made.
post #19 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

When will those who enabled and financed Saddam's crimes, and those who were accessory (before and after the fact) to Saddam's crimes, get charged with similar crimes?

When will we see extraditions, so the accused parties will face Iraqi courts?

Re. the death penalty, or state sanctioned murder....
The BushCorp authorized invasion of Iraq is the direct cause of over half a million people being murdered in some way or another. BushCorp is responsible for bringing about genocide, based on lies. There has been too many deaths of innocents to be concerned about mourning the questionable death of one of our old allies.

You don't think that will ever happen do you?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. Thomas Jefferson
post #20 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo View Post

You don't think that will ever happen do you?

I have no idea! I hope not, of course. But in these days of "heavy manners", now that habeas corpus is quaint item from the past, and the administration can permanently remove anyone from society by arbitrarily accusing them of being an "enemy combatant", without a trial by their peers, access to legal counsel... etc etc. ... who knows?

You don't have to be a "terrorist". All it takes now, is to "wear the wrong colors"..... and you might be accused of being one.

Who really knows?
post #21 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Gallows Tailgate Party Checklist

Tickets
Grill
Baggo Game, Frisbee, Rope (for making party nooses), Cards etc.
Charcoal
Wood Chips (hickory, mesquite or other)
Lighter Fluid
Matches
Spatula
Tongs
Food (don't bother going without food!)
Condiments (hot sauce, mustard, ketchup, mayo etc.)
Salt & Pepper
Buns/Bread
Plates, spoons, forks, knives
Bottle Opener/Corkscrew
Napkins/Paper Towels
Chairs
Camping table or Card table
Cooler
Ice
Oven mitts
Soda, Beer, or other refreshments
Blender
Generator
TV and or Radio
Favorite Tailgatin' Tunes
Aluminum Foil
Camera
Binoculars
Radio Headphones
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Rain Poncho
First Aid gear...aspirin, bandages, alcohol, etc.
Trash Bag
Gallon of Water (to put out the hot coals after you dump 'em)
Pop Up Shelter
Container(s) for any left over food
Victory cigar
HDV camcorder for subsequent YouTube broadcast

Are you ready for some hanging?

You should be hanged for that post.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #22 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You should be hanged for that post.

That's hung!
post #23 of 93
Most likely claims to be a christian too. The Killing of Saddam is a great way to get this Civil War in Iraq going for real. Bush the "Christian" still never caught the real guy who did 911. Bush had a big opportunity here to help mend Iraq but like everything else he is involved with he didnt get it. Get ready for some real violence in Iraq after Saddam is Hung and Bush will be clueless and dumbfounded once again. Then he will point to Iraq's mess and say see we need more troops in Iraq. Stay the course though the rudder is broken.

Leadership isnt something we have seen from Bush on 911,Iraq, war on terror, containing our own Border,Ports, etc. Leadership is a distant dream for him but if he repeats the word 1 millions times perhaps the neocons will buy it. Real "leaders" dont have to talk about leadership. I have seen better leadership at Burger King.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
VOTE OUT ALL INCUMBENTS! Its the only way we can clean up Congress.
post #24 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

That's hung!

Either one is right.
post #25 of 93

Hey, Bush! You know what you are? Just the greatest son-of-a-b-
post #26 of 93
Hey, Ireland! Where's the widget for this event?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

Either one is right.

Erm, actually no. Hanged is correct in respect to capital punishment, hung is the correct form for all other uses.
post #28 of 93
I think Saddam should be forced to actually make himself useful. Like the world's little bitch. United Nations need some clerical work? Saddam can alphabetized mailing address with millions of recipients by hand.
post #29 of 93
post #30 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

As a Christian, I recognize that God does allow the State to practice Capital Punishment for murderous crimes, which by definition are an assault on the image of God.

However, just because things are permissible, does not mean they are helpful (I Cor. 6:12).

Our society has developed systems and resources that allow the worst offenders to be kept from hurting the public while offering a chance of rehabilitation to the others.

Vengeance should be left to the Lord.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #31 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

Either one is right.

What do you know you're actually right about something!

According to Webster's 9th both can be used.

So let the useless hanging of Saddam continue!
post #32 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Erm, actually no. ‘Hanged’ is correct in respect to capital punishment, ‘hung’ is the correct form for all other uses.

Hung ( it surprised me ) is less formal. You're right ( sorry Chris but it seems SDW was right all along )!

Let the useless hanging continue!
post #33 of 93

post #34 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

As a Christian, I recognize that God does allow the State to practice Capital Punishment for murderous crimes, which by definition are an assault on the image of God.

However, just because things are permissible, does not mean they are helpful (I Cor. 6:12).

Our society has developed systems and resources that allow the worst offenders to be kept from hurting the public while offering a chance of rehabilitation to the others.

Vengeance should be left to the Lord.

For once, and for two entirely different reasons, we agree on something. When that happens you KNOW it must be right.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #35 of 93
10:15PM EST

Saddam Hussein has been executed
post #36 of 93
Perhaps hell is Iraq tomorrow...
post #37 of 93
The US could learn a lot from Iraqi jurisprudence. Its unconscionable that our system routinely delays justice for the scumb buckets on death row. One appeal and then off to the death chamber...oh and rot in Hell. Its too bad that Florida did away with Old Sparky, and went with the pansy lethal injection.

Back on Saddam I hope the noose was done wrong and he chocked in extreme agony.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
post #38 of 93
Many officials within the Bush Administration will be heaving sighs of relief, including ex Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and others. Saddam Hussein, if he had been tried for the illegal invasion of Kuwait (amongst other crimes) could have caused a huge amount of trouble for numerous US and European officials and corporate executives, by calling witnesses pertaining to the sales of chemical and biological weapons throughout the 1980s, in its war against Iran.

He might also have called into evidence of the Bush Sr. administration's complicity in the brutal suppression of the anti-Saddam revolt shortly after the conclusion of the Gulf War.

Finally, it could have also brought into public light illicit manipulations of international oil prices by Kuwait and other OPEC nations, which forced the then bankrupt Iraq to sell oil at a loss, leaving Hussein with no choice but to take military action, on the US assurance that there would no repercussions as a result of taking such actions.

It's hardly a wonder that Saddam was tried specifically for a rather obscure event for which there was no easy connection with figures of current international standing, rather than the numerous, far more visible atrocities, with which (Saddam) was linked.
post #39 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

The US could learn a lot from Iraqi jurisprudence. Its unconscionable that our system routinely delays justice for the scumb buckets on death row. One appeal and then off to the death chamber...oh and rot in Hell. Its too bad that Florida did away with Old Sparky, and went with the pansy lethal injection.

Back on Saddam I hope the noose was done wrong and he chocked in extreme agony.

Even if many are innocent?

Do you honestly believe it is ok for the state to execute even one innocent person?

Just answer yes or no -- I don't want a discussion.
post #40 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

So by your logic – someone can kidnap a 9 your old girl (Jessica Lunsford), rape her multiple times, and then kill her by suffocation …and we should not demand vengeance?!?

Well, we must agree to disagree – any monster that would pleasure himself multiple times with a 9 year old girl and then slowly bleed the life from her MUST DIE.

I’m saddened you would rather give them a life long time out with free medical care instead. Personally, I’ll cheer when the bastard, or any other persons that takes anothers life, is put to death.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Saddam To Be Hanged in 48 Hours.