or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Saddam To Be Hanged in 48 Hours.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Saddam To Be Hanged in 48 Hours. - Page 2

post #41 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

So by your logic someone can kidnap a 9 your old girl (Jessica Lunsford), rape her multiple times, and then kill her by suffocation and we should not demand vengeance?!?

Well, we must agree to disagree any monster that would pleasure himself multiple times with a 9 year old girl and then slowly bleed the life from her MUST DIE.

Im saddened you would rather give them a life long time out with free medical care instead. Personally, Ill cheer when the bastard, or any other persons that takes anothers life, is put to death.

Vengeance doesn't bring that girl back or undo the pain he caused. Vengeance isn't for the victim. Vengeance is to satisfy your own bloodlust and your own anger and nothing more. If you can lock the perpetrator up so he can never cause that kind of pain again, that is enough to protect society.

I find you to be a sick bastard, quite frankly.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

Most likely claims to be a christian too. The Killing of Saddam is a great way to get this Civil War in Iraq going for real. Bush the "Christian" still never caught the real guy who did 911. Bush had a big opportunity here to help mend Iraq but like everything else he is involved with he didnt get it. Get ready for some real violence in Iraq after Saddam is Hung and Bush will be clueless and dumbfounded once again. Then he will point to Iraq's mess and say see we need more troops in Iraq. Stay the course though the rudder is broken.

Leadership isnt something we have seen from Bush on 911,Iraq, war on terror, containing our own Border,Ports, etc. Leadership is a distant dream for him but if he repeats the word 1 millions times perhaps the neocons will buy it. Real "leaders" dont have to talk about leadership. I have seen better leadership at Burger King.

It's as if you just cut and paste your previous posts. Do you ever have anything to say that isn't an hysterical, anti-Bush rant?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #43 of 93
Asking for vengeance and justice are two different things, Bacillus.

On another note, every report I've seen so far has raised the idea of Iraqis getting some sort of psychological relief and closure from this event.

Closure I get - Saddam can't hurt anyone else - but I think any relief they feel will be relatively brief, and largely unsatisfying.

Death simply doesn't have the power to heal those kinds of wounds.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #44 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Asking for vengeance and justice are two different things, Bacillus.

On another note, every report I've seen so far has raised the idea of Iraqis getting some sort of psychological relief and closure from this event.

Closure I get - Saddam can't hurt anyone else - but I think any relief they feel will be relatively brief, and largely unsatisfying.

Death simply doesn't have the power to heal those kinds of wounds.

.QFT.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #45 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

So by your logic someone can kidnap a 9 your old girl (Jessica Lunsford), rape her multiple times, and then kill her by suffocation and we should not demand vengeance?!?

Well, we must agree to disagree any monster that would pleasure himself multiple times with a 9 year old girl and then slowly bleed the life from her MUST DIE.

Im saddened you would rather give them a life long time out with free medical care instead. Personally, Ill cheer when the bastard, or any other persons that takes anothers life, is put to death.



No I say let live under the following conditions;

1) Sensory deprevation (permanently remove their 5 senses (sight, taste, hearing, touch, and smell)).
2) Cut out tongue (no speech).
3) Cut off arms, legs, and sex organs.
4) Set them "free," so that the bleeding hearts can care for them.

Works for me!

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Vengeance doesn't bring that girl back or undo the pain he caused. Vengeance isn't for the victim. Vengeance is to satisfy your own bloodlust and your own anger and nothing more. If you can lock the perpetrator up so he can never cause that kind of pain again, that is enough to protect society.

I find you to be a sick bastard, quite frankly.

I just love the ad hominem attack - nice…real nice.

Back to the example I gave – what punishment if fitting a monster that kidnaps a 9 year old child, rapes her multiple times and then suffocates her? Crimes like this demand no less than death; not a life long stint in a nice climate controlled cell.


I put to everyone – think about this specific example I have mentioned. The sheer fear of being kidnapped, sexually assaulted multiple times, and then leaving this life by affixation by a monster… its unimaginable. Now ask yourself; does someone capable of such crimes deserve to be among us? You have the following choices...

a. A full life of free medical care in a nice climate controlled room
b. Death

Is a life locked in a nice heated/cooled room punishment enough or has that person forfeited their right to life? Its my opinion when someone kills another willing and with premeditation, they have forfeited their right to life, and the only just penalty is that of death.

If thoughts like this classifies me as a “sick bastard”, then I wear the moniker with pride.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #47 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

So by your logic – someone can kidnap a 9 your old girl (Jessica Lunsford), rape her multiple times, and then kill her by suffocation …and we should not demand vengeance?!?

Well, we must agree to disagree – any monster that would pleasure himself multiple times with a 9 year old girl and then slowly bleed the life from her MUST DIE.

I’m saddened you would rather give them a life long time out with free medical care instead. Personally, I’ll cheer when the bastard, or any other persons that takes anothers life, is put to death.

Would you be bothered if a relative of yours was sentenced to death because he couldn't afford to pay for justice, and ended up with an incompetent public defender who regularly fell asleep during the trial, or some other variety of professional misconduct? Would you be bothered if you knew that your relative was innocent of all charges, and it was only his financial status that kept him separated from real justice? If a plainly guilty person, such as OJ Simpson can get away with (double) murder purely because of his wealth (ie the ability to retain Johnny Cochrane and his "dream team"), then we know for sure that the justice system in this country (let alone Iraq, FFS), is a sick charade. That an unknown number of innocent people have been murdered by the state because they couldn't afford justice is one very glaringly obvious reason that the "death penalty" (pardon the weasly euphemism) is singularly inappropriate in a civilized society. Re. Iraq, Myannmar, China, North Korea, etc etc., it is unrealistic to expect any more from kangaroo courts in totalitarian nations... but in the US?

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #48 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Re. Iraq, Myannmar, China, North Korea, etc etc., it is unrealistic to expect any more from kangaroo courts in totalitarian nations... but in the US?


Funnily enough, I was just reading Saddam's history and it seems it was he who brought civilization to Iraq and abolished the Sharia.

Interesting \
post #49 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

I just love the ad hominem attack - nice…real nice.

Back to the example I gave – what punishment if fitting a monster that kidnaps a 9 year old child, rapes her multiple times and then suffocates her? Crimes like this demand no less than death; not a life long stint in a nice climate controlled cell.


I put to everyone – think about this specific example I have mentioned. The sheer fear of being kidnapped, sexually assaulted multiple times, and then leaving this life by affixation by a monster… its unimaginable. Now ask yourself; does someone capable of such crimes deserve to be among us? You have the following choices...

a. A full life of free medical care in a nice climate controlled room
b. Death

Is a life locked in a nice heated/cooled room punishment enough or has that person forfeited their right to life? Its my opinion when someone kills another willing and with premeditation, they have forfeited their right to life, and the only just penalty is that of death.

If thoughts like this classifies me as a “sick bastard”, then I wear the moniker with pride.

See, it should be less about punishment and more about keeping society safe. The latter should be the only thing that matters. Satisfying your bloodlust does nothing but perpetuate a barbaric institution and teach our children that violence is OK.

And in your disgusting pride we see a bleak future for humanity.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #50 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Vengeance doesn't bring that girl back or undo the pain he caused. Vengeance isn't for the victim. Vengeance is to satisfy your own bloodlust and your own anger and nothing more. If you can lock the perpetrator up so he can never cause that kind of pain again, that is enough to protect society.

I find you to be a sick bastard, quite frankly.

He obviously never saw Mystic River.
post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

He obviously never saw Mystic River.

Neither have I.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #52 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

Would you be bothered if a relative of yours was sentenced to death because he couldn't afford to pay for justice, and ended up with an incompetent public defender who regularly fell asleep during the trial, or some other variety of professional misconduct? Would you be bothered if you knew that your relative was innocent of all charges, and it was only his financial status that kept him separated from real justice? If a plainly guilty person, such as OJ Simpson can get away with (double) murder purely because of his wealth (ie the ability to retain Johnny Cochrane and his "dream team"), then we know for sure that the justice system in this country (let alone Iraq, FFS), is a sick charade. That an unknown number of innocent people have been murdered by the state because they couldn't afford justice is one very glaringly obvious reason that the "death penalty" (pardon the weasly euphemism) is singularly inappropriate in a civilized society. Re. Iraq, Myannmar, China, North Korea, etc etc., it is unrealistic to expect any more from kangaroo courts in totalitarian nations... but in the US?


The classical argument against the death penalty it sometimes kills the innocent. Is it true that innocent people die? Inevitably yes. Im the first to stand up and say more should be done to make sure its as rare as possible. However, given the proper safeguards, I do not see this as a compelling enough of a reason to completely ban the practice. Let me give you some other examples, to better explain my position

Nosocomial infections (hospital acquired infections) kill thousands of Americans every year that go to hospitals from otherwise minor conditions. Yet no one suggest closing down all hospitals or only making them available only to the critically ill, because patients who otherwise may have minor conditions, die needlessly from the infections given to them many times by the careless actions of healthcare providers.

With the consumption of alcohol beverages, thousands of innocent people die every year, from DUI and violence from drunken individuals. However, do we ban alcohol beverages? No.

In short
- Should more be done to ensure the innocent are not executed YES!!!
- Should more be done to prevent deaths from nosocomal infections YES!!!
- Should more be done to prevent deaths of innocent people from the consumption of alcohol YES!!!


However
- Should the death penalty be abolished because a few innocent people inadvertently die NO!!!
- Should hospitals/medical procedures be closed/banned because otherwise healthy individuals inadvertently die from hospital acquired infections NO!!!
- Should the consumption of alcoholic beverages be abolished because innocent people inadvertently die as a direst result of its availability NO!!!

The point; dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. All three things Ive mentioned have risk and rewards, and the rewards for society outweigh the risk. Lets as a society do the best we can to prevent its misuse, and not to outright ban the practice.

To answer your question - of couse I would feel horriable if a relative was excuted when they were innocent. However, would also feel equally bad if a relative died of a nosocomal infection (which my father did three years ago) or was killied by a DUI driver. Do I think the practices should be banned - no, just more regulated.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #53 of 93
So... we know the rewards of hospitals and alcohol, but what are the rewards of the death penalty?
post #54 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

See, it should be less about punishment and more about keeping society safe.

With the death penalty you get BOTH. The scum bucket is punished and society is kept safer becase they are no longer around. Its what we call a win win situation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

And in your disgusting pride we see a bleak future for humanity.

Please tell me your not an American male.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #55 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Neither have I.

You'll appreciate it given your understanding of vengeance.
post #56 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post

So... we know the rewards of hospitals and alcohol, but are the rewards of the death penalty?

1. Punishment for the crime
2. Closure for the family*
3. The perp will no longer bother society

*However, with that said – I do think it should be up to the family how to proceed. If a family member was murdered and they object to the death penalty, then it should not be sought by the prosecutor. It’s my understanding it’s commonly done this way, but not codified into law.

Returning to my previous and unfortunate ‘real world’ example, if my nine year old daughter was kidnapped, raped multiple times, and then suffocated – I would want the death penalty. Don’t you think the option should be given to family? I think so. To me that is a good thing - giving them the option and hence a reward/benefit for society.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #57 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

With the death penalty you get BOTH. The scum bucket is punished and society is kept safer becase they are no longer around. Its what we call a win win situation.

Please tell me your not an American male.

I am an American male and if you have seen my posts in many of Trumpet's threads you'd see I am very much against the pussification of America. However, it takes a real man to overcome bloodlust and behave in a civilized manner. You sir just lack the testicles to move on with your life knowing a criminal will never harm another again. No, you can't live with that. You want blood. It gives you pleasure. This is exactly why you are a sick, cowardly, son of a bitch and quite frankly there are far too many American males just like you.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #58 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

1. Punishment for the crime
2. Closure for the family*
3. The perp will no longer bother society

*However, with that said I do think it should be up to the family how to proceed. If a family member was murdered and they object to the death penalty, then it should not be sought by the prosecutor. Its my understanding its commonly done this way, but not codified into law.

Returning to my previous and unfortunate real world example, if my nine year old daughter was kidnapped, raped multiple times, and then suffocated I would want the death penalty. Dont you think the option should be given to family? I think so. To me that is a good thing - giving them the option and hence a reward/benefit for society.

Closure is just your fancied up term for vengeance and bloodlust. Admit it. Frankly, it's not the family of the victim who you should ask because they certainly are not in any kind of emotional state to make a rational decision. I'm not denying that if it happened to a family member of mine that my base instincts might take over and I might desire vengeance. That doesn't make it right. What you *want* isn't always what is *right*.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #59 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

You'll appreciate it given your understanding of vengeance.

Into the Netflix Queue you go!

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #60 of 93
Once again let me invoke the wise words of one Marquis deSade.

"To kill a man in a paroxysm of passion is understandable, but to have him killed by someone else after calm and serious meditation and on the pretext of duty honourably discharged is incomprehensible."

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #61 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Once again let me invoke the wise words of one Marquis deSade.

"To kill a man in a paroxysm of passion is understandable, but to have him killed by someone else after calm and serious meditation and on the pretext of duty honourably discharged is incomprehensible."

See that's where my thoughts lie on the subject of having ones daughter kidnapped, raped, and killed. If somebody did that to my daughter*, I would find the person and kill them myself (yes, I know, I've seen Mystic River).

If the authorities were able to get to them first, I don't think I'd feel any better with them being executed as opposed to incarcerated for life. It wouldn't bring my daughter back or satisfy my bloodlust.

*Disclosure: I don't actually have any children so this is speculation.
post #62 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post

See that's where my thoughts lie on the subject of having ones daughter kidnapped, raped, and killed. If somebody did that to my daughter*, I would find the person and kill them myself (yes, I know, I've seen Mystic River).

So you admit to still believing in revenge?
post #63 of 93
Good fucking riddance.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #64 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

So you admit to still believing in revenge?

Yes, I think so, taken in the context of against someone kidnapping, raping, and murdering my daughter.

But if my daughter were killed by a drunk driver, or in a hospital accident, I don't think I'd be looking for that same revenge.

I also don't consider the state executing someone on my behalf revenge but I'm a pretty big guy, maybe people less capable than myself might consider it a viable substitute.

Personally, I'm undecided on the death penalty. I think it's certainly uncivilized, but then again, the USA isn't exactly the model of civilization.

In a Utopian society, people who perpetrate crimes would be studied and the knowledge gained would be used to prevent that behavior from occurring again.
post #65 of 93
When does revenge stop? It's a cycle.
post #66 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

When does revenge stop? It's a cycle.

I'm no fan of the death penalty, but I'll bite: why is execution revenge?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #67 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I'm no fan of the death penalty, but I'll bite: why is execution revenge?

If execution is response to someone responsible for killing people (which is certainly the case here), then it arguably is: you're responding to murder with murder. Revenge.
post #68 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I'm no fan of the death penalty, but I'll bite: why is execution revenge?

Because the offender can be prevented from harming others without it.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #69 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

If execution is response to someone responsible for killing people (which is certainly the case here), then it arguably is: you're responding to murder with murder. Revenge.


Again, I'm no fan of the death penalty, but by that same logic couldn't you say that any penalty for a breach of the law is "revenge" of some sort?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #70 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Because the offender can be prevented from harming others without it.

Sure, but those other means would be revenge, too.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Sure, but those other means would be revenge, too.

No. Preventing someone from hurting others isn't revenge. Going above and beyond that protection and killing someone is.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #72 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

No. Preventing someone from hurting others isn't revenge. Going above and beyond that protection and killing someone is.

So if we lock someone away in a cell for the rest of his life and make sure that he has no contact with others (because he might murder again), that's not revenge?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #73 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

So if we lock someone away in a cell for the rest of his life and make sure that he has no contact with others (because he might murder again), that's not revenge?

Now why would we lock someone away in a cell for the rest of his life? Could it be that he was an extreme danger to society?

revenge (n)
The act of taking vengeance for injuries or wrongs; retaliation.
Something done in vengeance; a retaliatory measure.
A desire for revenge; spite or vindictiveness.
An opportunity to retaliate, as by a return sports match after a defeat.

See, protecting society isn't retaliation. I'm sorry if you can't see the difference.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #74 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Now why would we lock someone away in a cell for the rest of his life? Could it be that he was an extreme danger to society?

revenge (n)
The act of taking vengeance for injuries or wrongs; retaliation.
Something done in vengeance; a retaliatory measure.
A desire for revenge; spite or vindictiveness.
An opportunity to retaliate, as by a return sports match after a defeat.

See, protecting society isn't retaliation. I'm sorry if you can't see the difference.

OK. So let me get this straight:

It's OK to imprison people for some time when they do bad things.
It's OK to imprison people for the rest of their natural lives.
It's OK to imprison people for the rest of their lives if they're "an extreme danger to society."

Do I have it right? If I do, I'm not sure where I see "an extreme danger to society" listed in your dictionary quotation.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #75 of 93
I'm much more into the removing a danger to society and rehab thing than the vindictive punishment thing. There is a difference. In extreme cases where rehab just isn't a possibility, it's best to just remove them from society without killing them.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #76 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

In extreme cases where rehab just isn't a possibility, it's best to just remove them from society without killing them.

So a lifetime of torture is better than killing?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #77 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

So a lifetime of torture is better than killing?

We do need prison reform, but I would ask the inmates themselves if they'd rather die than spend life in prison.

*It's a little presumptuous there on your part.
post #78 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

We do need prison reform, but I would ask the inmates themselves if they'd rather die than spend life in prison.

Wait. So you're saying we can take away their right to be in society. We can take away their freedom of movement. We can take away when they sleep and wake and eat and shower and shit and piss. We can take away their ability to be in society. We can take away their ability to even be within the society of people who are taken away from society.

But now we let them choose?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #79 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Wait. So you're saying we can take away their right to be in society. We can take away their freedom of movement. We can take away when they sleep and wake and eat and shower and shit and piss. We can take away their ability to be in society. We can take away their ability to even be within the society of people who are taken away from society.

But now we let them choose?

I don't see any problem with letting people choose to be euthanized.
post #80 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsLan^ View Post

I don't see any problem with letting people choose to be euthanized.

You don't find it ironic that we don't let them choose anything else? I mean, it's sort of "cake or death" without the cake.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Saddam To Be Hanged in 48 Hours.