or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Still Against Private Schools? Think Again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Still Against Private Schools? Think Again. - Page 3

post #81 of 90
CC scares the fuck out of me.
post #82 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

That's right. Public education is so ineffective that America is on the verge of collapsing under the sheer weight of the ignorant people the schools are producing. It's horrible. Horrible, I say!

Well I'm guessing it produced Spam Sandwich and Chris. Oh the beautiful paradox that creates.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #83 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Well I'm guessing it produced Spam Sandwich and Chris. Oh the beautiful paradox that creates.

It produced the vast majority of Americans with any formal education whatsoever.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Probably because you were focused on other things earlier in this thread. Or maybe you just don't have that sense of going right for the jugular like me.

Yeah... The jugular... I think I like the slow bleeding death a little too much for my own good...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #85 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post


That's all well and fine...if the schools are willing to do it. What you described is just fine and I suspect would happen in most cases in a free-market arrangement. But I don't think this as minor a point as you do. If they are not willing to do such things, they you have a problem, and because of the granularity of the "voucher" (it pays for a year of school at some particular place), then you are restricted/limited/stuck.


Okay, I see your point, and this is the kind of situation where, I am saying, the government must be involved in to keep the system fair and equitable. A school must allow students to take a class elsewhere, when it is not offered by them, and there needs to be regulation on the financial arrangement between schools for these situations.

It puts an extra burden on parents if they have to negotiate such things, and arrange to have tuition split between schools. True, if the parents paid their own cash to each school it would make it a little simpler, but there can still be inequities without regulation. What if a school insists on full tuition, even when a student takes some of the classes elsewhere? Then a poor family must pay more, full tuition plus extra tuition for the other school. The government could insist that schools have an equitable way of handling these kinds of issues. so it is fair for all parties.


Quote:

Well, they are paying these taxes...even if they are renters.


It is naive to think a rental property owner is going to give the tenant all the money he or she saves on taxes.


Quote:

OK...but again...there are solutions that can cover this shortfall that do not require a full, government-funded, government-controlled school system. That is my key point.


There will always be debates about how much government regulation and funding there should be, for anything. We do not have a true free enterprise economy now, and likely never will. Such freedoms lead to abuse and it had to be regulated. However, I think I agree with you that today's educational system is too much in the hands of government. Free enterprise could be what it takes to cure its ills. Yet it will take regulation to keep it equitable and fair. But it would take no more regulation than we might expect in other parts of the business world today. Some businesses are highly regulated now, to protect those whom the business serves. It's not unreasonable to have the same degree of regulation in the business of education.


Quote:

Anyway...goodbye, farewell and amen.


Are you going somewhere?

post #86 of 90
I've read this thread with interest, as educating our young should be our most important task as 'responsible adults'. This is an assumption I make, as I have no children, and other than my 'trip' thru the educational system, I have no direct facts. I do have a large basket of complaints from my sisters and their children as the recent 'state of affair' in public schools.

Most of the ideas bandy'ed about by Chris and Snoop could very well be applicable to the CITY educational environment. However, if I had children in my own locale, my only option of 'choice', or what to do with this voucher thingy, is nil and moot. We have one school. Period.

Of course, one does have the choice to 'home school', but that carries an economic burden about the size/cost of private school. Yes there is a local holy-roller school, but enough said about that.

Not just by default, I will side with Hardee. Unless you all can get some shit to work better than what we got, public schools, and the government monopoly that maintains them is the way to go.

Now, at what time will Chris and Hardee duel? I wish to attend.

Paz
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
Reply
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
Reply
post #87 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Well I'm guessing it produced Spam Sandwich and Chris. Oh the beautiful paradox that creates.

...and all this time I thought BR and BRussel were the same person.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #88 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...and all this time I thought BR and BRussel were the same person.

<snippy comment about SpamSandwich and how the public education system failed him>

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #89 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

<snippy comment about SpamSandwich and how the public education system failed him>


<pile-on about horses and water />
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #90 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

<snippy comment about SpamSandwich and how the public education system failed him>

If you want to make your comments or attacks personal, why don't you take the time to get to actually know something about someone... instead of pretending you know something?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Still Against Private Schools? Think Again.