or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM do you have?

post #1 of 73
I have 1GB in my May 2005 Dual 2.0 G5, but that is starting to feel awfully cramped. Once the coffers regain themselves, I would like an upgrade. Should I go for 2 or 3GB?
post #2 of 73
I have 1 GB on my MacBook Pro. I shall one day double it.
post #3 of 73
I just doubled my memory to 2 gigs on my Macbook Pro.
post #4 of 73
I find 1 gig to be good for most OSs although if given the chance I certainly will go for more.
post #5 of 73
I've got 1 GB in my MacPro, but I plan on adding another 4 GB soon as the price comes down.

Noah
post #6 of 73
iMac Core Duo 2 Gigs.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #7 of 73
2 gigs. I'm always debating as to whether or not I should have gone with 3...
~jvb
~jvb
post #8 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb View Post

2 gigs. I'm always debating as to whether or not I should have gone with 3...

Back in my day, we didn't HAVE that option. :P
post #9 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by smax View Post

Back in my day, we didn't HAVE that option. :P

Yeah, and now we have to pay $500 to get it.
~jvb
~jvb
post #10 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I have 1GB in my May 2005 Dual 2.0 G5, but that is starting to feel awfully cramped. Once the coffers regain themselves, I would like an upgrade. Should I go for 2 or 3GB?

It depends on what you do with it. I have the original dual 2.0 and 2.5GB did very nicely. On other Macs, 2.0GB wasn't quite enough for me so I added 2GB to the PowerMac, from 512. If you can afford it, I suggest a total of 3.0GB. I used it for video and some basic photo work. The more programs you can keep in memory, the less time is spent waiting for for them to swap in and out and the more data can be kept in memory too.
post #11 of 73
I have two in my Macbook and will have two in my MacPro.
post #12 of 73
A Gig for now, but I easily Tap out a Full Gig, or come really close until I Save everything, and restart so I can clear away anything I don't need open and empty my RAM a bit. It's faster then debating with myself about whether or not I need any given application open. I just open up the one I'm going to use and then anymore after that.

So basically I need 2 Gigs... eventually.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #13 of 73
Two in MB and MBP, 4.5 in PM Quad.
post #14 of 73
2 Gigs in my MacBook.
post #15 of 73

8GB Quad G5.

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #16 of 73
256MB in my 800mhz G4, and man does it ever have some snap!
Aluminum Macbook: 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Nvidia 9400M.
Aluminum Macbook: 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Nvidia 9400M.
post #17 of 73
I've got 1.5 gb in my work machine because that's all it'll hold. I can't keep open all the apps I'd like to, or it bogs down. At home, I've got 3.5 gb in my G5, and that seems to be plenty enough to run a browser, iTunes, Mail some widgets & utilities, and a couple of the Adobe CS apps without putting the hurt on.

Do what you will, but harm none.

Do what you will, but harm none.

post #18 of 73
256MB in my iBook G4. Need more...
"How fortunate are you and I.."
"How fortunate are you and I.."
post #19 of 73
2 gigs in my Macbook and it does everything I want.
post #20 of 73
I've got 1.25G on my Macbook, waiting for another paycheck to get my other 1 Gig Stick. Really bogs down when I run Photoshop, especially on 10MP 16-bit RAW files.
post #21 of 73
4GB in my dual 2.0 G5 and 2GB in my G4 17.
post #22 of 73
640mb. As such as can be carried by an iBook.
post #23 of 73
Maxed out at 1Gb on my blue and white.
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #24 of 73
2.5GB in an iMac. . .

We with above configuration are a small crowd. And yes, I would recommend getting more RAM, but beyond 2GB is usually kind of superfluous since a lot of apps can't access more than 2GB. 3GB would probably let you run simulations, or whatever, in the lower 2GB while the OS stays in the upper 1GB, providing the OS is smart enough to do this for you. Going beyond 3GB is silly for sure, since the big memory hog applications (Adobe) I don't think can utilize more than 2GB, and CS3 seems to be 32bit as well.

I may be wrong about Adobe, but as far as I know it's the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #25 of 73
2gb on mbp, will push up to 3 if and when necessary
post #26 of 73
Mac OS X version 10.2.8

Memory 640 MB

Processor: 466 MHz PowerPC G4 Digital Audio
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
2009 Quad 2.66 Mac Pro, 12 GB OWC RAM, ATI 4870, Wi-Fi Card 802.11n, AppleCare, 4 WD Caviar Black 1TB HD's, 2 SuperDrives, 24" Apple LED Display.
post #27 of 73
1.25 GB in an iMac G4 1Ghz.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
post #28 of 73
2 gb in my Mac Pro. 1gb in G4 Powerbook.
cylon
cylon
post #29 of 73
Is everyone else finding that 2gb is sufficient for the most part?
~jvb
~jvb
post #30 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb View Post

Is everyone else finding that 2gb is sufficient for the most part?

yep. it's definitely roomier than 1gb. there might be times when i wished i had 4gb or more, but i can live without that much ram.
post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisa View Post

yep. it's definitely roomier than 1gb. there might be times when i wished i had 4gb or more, but i can live without that much ram.

After 2 gb it seems to me as if all you need to do is cut down on the number of running applications and you'll be fine. It isn't like I'm trying to play a game, run Aperture, and Final Cut Express all at the same time.
~jvb
~jvb
post #32 of 73
I have 2GB in my iMac and my MacBook still has the stock 512MB. At some point I'll upgrade RAM on the MacBook but I haven't decided whether I'll go to 1 or 2GB.
post #33 of 73
2GB in my november 2004 20" iMacG5
2GB in my november 2006 15" MacBook Pro 2,33Ghz C2D

It's enough for the work I do.
Both on the iMac and the MacBook Pro the HD is the bottleneck.
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #34 of 73
I'm maxed out at 4MB on my Mac Plus.
post #35 of 73
Dual core 2.0 G5 with 2GB

Feels good

1GB was slow

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #36 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm maxed out at 4MB on my Mac Plus.

I miss my Plus! Mine had 1MB, I think, and an external HD with, get this, a whopping 20MB!!

post #37 of 73
I have 4 GB in my Dual 2.66 Mac Pro :P
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
Mac Pro - 2 x 2.66 - 250GB HDD - 500GB HDD - 4GB Ram - 2x Super Drives - Bluetooth/Airport Extreme - ATI Radeon x1900 512MB - 23" HD Cinema Display
post #38 of 73
I just got a MacBook from my dad for college. Do you think Mushkin is a good brand for mac memory. I know they use to do it in the past and their stuff is now at Mac Mall. I know they have a great reputation for performance ram? Im considering this.....

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...181130&Redir=1

Thanks
post #39 of 73
I have 2,5GB on my G5 2*2,7
A positive attitude may not solve all your
problems, but it will annoy enough people to
make it worth the effort.
Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
A positive attitude may not solve all your
problems, but it will annoy enough people to
make it worth the effort.
Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
post #40 of 73
Ive got 2GB in my MacBook White 2ghz

Makes SO much difference when using rosetta!

Best £200 i ever spent!

This is a signature..

This is a signature..

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › How much RAM do you have?