or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM do you have? - Page 2

post #41 of 73
2GBs in the MBP, 2GBs in the desktop.
15" MBP 2.53GHz Mid 2009, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, sux0rz GF9400, 10.6.x...wish I had the money for a new 15" with the 1680x1050 display...sigh.
15" MBP 2.53GHz Mid 2009, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, sux0rz GF9400, 10.6.x...wish I had the money for a new 15" with the 1680x1050 display...sigh.
post #42 of 73
2GB BIAAAAAATCH!!!11!!!!! (just won Macbook on eBay.......................
Not conf1rm3d y3t until I check out that eveyrthing is as it should be upon pickup

Crossing fingers.... See how things go, will report somewhere around if things check out alright.
2GB. MAXXED OUT. Damn. 2GB is massive. Can't wrap my head around it now. Only way I'm thinking of it is pefect windows+mac osx for now - 1GB to each OS. Or, 1.25GB to OSX since 64MB of that goes to GMA950... Windoze XP2Pro on 750MB... Well the beauty of Parallels is that if I'm doing more intense WIndoze work I can slot it for 1GB or more and let Tiger slide back to 700MB or so.

Got (well going to get, fingers crossed still), Macbook at good price, so if I need to sell it off in a year's time, residual costing is about $100AUD per month that I've "rented" the MacBook for this year.

Well, we'll see. Thank you divine universe for your blessings and happy Macworld to all, and to all, a Happy Macworld / MacLIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!1!!!
post #43 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

2GB BIAAAAAATCH!!!11!!!!! (just won Macbook on eBay.......................
Not conf1rm3d y3t until I check out that eveyrthing is as it should be upon pickup

Crossing fingers.... See how things go, will report somewhere around if things check out alright.
2GB. MAXXED OUT. Damn. 2GB is massive. Can't wrap my head around it now. Only way I'm thinking of it is pefect windows+mac osx for now - 1GB to each OS. Or, 1.25GB to OSX since 64MB of that goes to GMA950... Windoze XP2Pro on 750MB... Well the beauty of Parallels is that if I'm doing more intense WIndoze work I can slot it for 1GB or more and let Tiger slide back to 700MB or so.

Got (well going to get, fingers crossed still), Macbook at good price, so if I need to sell it off in a year's time, residual costing is about $100AUD per month that I've "rented" the MacBook for this year.

Well, we'll see. Thank you divine universe for your blessings and happy Macworld to all, and to all, a Happy Macworld / MacLIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!1!!!

You're not temporarily Insane, you are truly insane.

First, you are talking in a Mix of 1337, insanity, and English.
Second, you are planning to install Windows... ARE YOU INSANE!?! (yes)
Oh well, congrats I guess

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
post #44 of 73
I purchased a MBP 15" two months ago as CBO with 3 GB ram and 160 GB 7200rpm HD. It's fast but had a lot of kernal panics. On new years eve, Apple replaced the logic board (an expensive service) but still had kernal panics and then they just replaced both ram modules. I just picked it up and it is happy now.

All in all this laptop has rung up a price to about $6000.00. Not a good start for Apple on this laptop. I am hoping that it has settled in. I do use the 3 GB ram. I also have Menumeter guage and shows the C2D processors working but they rather work more independently than in conjunction...perhaps because not all the apps are Universal B. yet.
post #45 of 73
I forgot to mention...anyone planning on purchasing MBP with 3 GB ram, it is actually cheaper to purchase it from Apple as it is $575.00 vs other vendors at around $615.00 and up.
post #46 of 73
16 gig with newly ordered pro oh yep
5g iPod White 60gb (v.1:broken, v.2:broken, v.3:stolen)

1g iPod Shuffle 512mb (broken)

2g iPod Shuffle 512mb

Airport Express

14800 songs.

C2D MacBook Pro - 2.33ghz - 160gb HD - 2gb RAM (v.1:...
5g iPod White 60gb (v.1:broken, v.2:broken, v.3:stolen)

1g iPod Shuffle 512mb (broken)

2g iPod Shuffle 512mb

Airport Express

14800 songs.

C2D MacBook Pro - 2.33ghz - 160gb HD - 2gb RAM (v.1:...
post #47 of 73
I have a MBP with 2.16 ghz C2D and 2 gbs of RAM. I might have been able to get by with 1 gb but I'm glad I've got 2. Most of the time I seem to use about 1 gb according to my iStat nano. That will probably change as I'm looking to get photoshop or ps elements(if it ever makes it to market).
post #48 of 73
512 in the Mini... It works
post #49 of 73
2.5 in my Dual Processor 2ghz G5 - all 8 ram slots full

2.5 in my Dual Core 2ghz G5 - 4/8 full, so room to add
post #50 of 73
3GB in my work PowerMac G5 Dual, 1.25 GB in my personal PowerBook G4, 1GB in the house Intel MacMini, and 2GB coming in my new work MacBook Pro (whenever the PO goes through). The Mini has three users almost always logged in concurrently, and it definitely slogs under the load. At this point, I wouldn't get anything less than 2G if I could help it. Then again, I'm pretty demanding on my machines.

The work PowerMac was upgraded recently from 1GB to 3GB and it made all the difference.
post #51 of 73
2 gig in my Black MacBook C2D
Old Mac: 12-inch PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz 80GB HD 1.25GB RAM.
New Mac: Black MacBook 2GHz C2D 2GB RAM 160GB HD
Old Mac: 12-inch PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz 80GB HD 1.25GB RAM.
New Mac: Black MacBook 2GHz C2D 2GB RAM 160GB HD
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I miss my Plus! Mine had 1MB, I think, and an external HD with, get this, a whopping 20MB!!

Hehe... I got you beat. I used mine with a ZIP drive.
post #53 of 73
I have 2 GB installed on my MacBook Pro and it still gets full of inactive memory and runs awfully slow. Crap!
-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

-Aayush Arya
Macworld and Apple Matters Author

post #54 of 73
I just bought a MBP with 2gb. If apple didn't charge so much for ram I would have gotten 3 just to have it for the future. But I suppose that upgrading ram as you need it is a better route than to buy initially buy with to much ram. Since ram prices always fall you'll be able to get more ram at a later date for cheaper than you can now.
Apple Switcher!
365 Days of my experience with Apple at Keynote 2 Keynote
Join the 100 Apple Users and Switchers Project
Apple Switcher!
365 Days of my experience with Apple at Keynote 2 Keynote
Join the 100 Apple Users and Switchers Project
post #55 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

I have 2 GB installed on my MacBook Pro and it still gets full of inactive memory and runs awfully slow. Crap!

What apps are you running?
post #56 of 73
2GB and i yearn for 3 now.
post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm maxed out at 4MB on my Mac Plus.

I remember maxing out my original Mac LC to 10MB, then finding out the MacOS could only see 8MB.

Good times.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by duzledwarf View Post

256MB in my 800mhz G4, and man does it ever have some snap!

Dude! get yourself a 512 MB Dimm, for that box, it should be about $35 on newegg...and the performance, even if you replace it 4-6 months from now, will be worth it.

I use 512 and can take a nap during beach ball sessions when I am doing serious work (10 tabs in FF, a 2nd FF window for Sirius, MS Word with 2-3 docs open and address book) As soon as I get a full-time job, I am getting a gig for this, then in 6 months or so, I am going to get another mini, this time with 2 gig!
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #59 of 73
3 GB in my 24" iMac 2.33 Ghz
2 GB in MBP CD and Mini CD
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #60 of 73
I'm getting a MacMini in few weeks - first Mac ever. Initially I was going to stick 1GB into it but now I'm thinking 2GB would be better.

Do Macs need so much RAM simply because of different usage pattern (to the windows users that is - keeping all the apps open etc.) or is it a Mac OS X thing?

What do you think the performance would be like with 1GB while doing stuff like video conferencing, listening to music, browsing ... (all at the same time)?

Thanx
post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroza View Post

I'm getting a MacMini in few weeks - first Mac ever. Initially I was going to stick 1GB into it but now I'm thinking 2GB would be better.

Do Macs need so much RAM simply because of different usage pattern (to the windows users that is - keeping all the apps open etc.) or is it a Mac OS X thing?

What do you think the performance would be like with 1GB while doing stuff like video conferencing, listening to music, browsing ... (all at the same time)?

Thanx

The short answer is no. The long answer is "everyone here is a raving lunatic fanatic and we don't want the other guy out doing us."

I do a product catalog (InDesign) and video editing on my iMac, MBP CD, and Intel Mini.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekMate View Post

I find 1 gig to be good for most OSs although if given the chance I certainly will go for more.

However, if you are running Vista, note I am testing it here at work, with a 1 gig of DDR, Vista rates it at 3.6 our of 5 . . . . 1 gig of ram is good for most Macintosh Operating Systems at least 8)

-iGrant
MacBook: 2.0 Ghz 2048 ram, 80gig HDD, OS 10.5 . . . wow
MacBook: 2.0 Ghz 2048 ram, 80gig HDD, OS 10.5 . . . wow
post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

The short answer is no. The long answer is "everyone here is a raving lunatic fanatic and we don't want the other guy out doing us."

I do a product catalog (InDesign) and video editing on my iMac, MBP CD, and Intel Mini.

I don't think your assesment is fair or accurate.

How much memory needed is really dependent on how many programs you keep running. A lot of people might do well with 1GB but the size of many OSX programs and the number of programs running often uses more memory. If I add FCE work to the mix, I find I need 2.5GB or have to shut down other software to keep it from hitting the hard drive too much. Sometimes I end up killing Dashboard because the widgets are bloated for what little they do. I can generally do well with about half as much memory on my Windows computers as I would with my Macs.
post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think your assesment is fair or accurate.

How much memory needed is really dependent on how many programs you keep running. A lot of people might do well with 1GB but the size of many OSX programs and the number of programs running often uses more memory. If I add FCE work to the mix, I find I need 2.5GB or have to shut down other software to keep it from hitting the hard drive too much. Sometimes I end up killing Dashboard because the widgets are bloated for what little they do. I can generally do well with about half as much memory on my Windows computers as I would with my Macs.

Of course. I was being funny.

Funny you need 2.5GB ram for FCE work when 2 GB does me fine with other programs running (MS Word, etc.).

Also, my windows computers do not do well with less than 1 GB ram but I don't do anything but ACAD and some large print jobs on them.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Of course. I was being funny.

Funny you need 2.5GB ram for FCE work when 2 GB does me fine with other programs running (MS Word, etc.).

Also, my windows computers do not do well with less than 1 GB ram but I don't do anything but ACAD and some large print jobs on them.

I do run AutoCAD + CorelDRAW + Firefox + a microcontroller development environment and I usually can get away with 1/2 gig, including system cache. A little more if I add Photoshop, a word processor and spreadsheet, still slides in under 3/4ths of a gig including system cache. As such, I've never had the need or desire to add more memory to them.

I can do FCE ( + Livetype) with just 2GB with other programs running but I find it works with less lag due to swapping if I kill a half dozen programs.
post #66 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by __mø View Post

2gb on mbp, will push up to 3 if and when necessary

One Joe Drago posted this on slashdot.com. Any comments?

"I purchased a Mac Pro within the first week that they were available, and immediately upgraded to 3GB of RAM (knowing that OSX loves memory). When playing 3D games (World of Warcraft mainly), the game would Kernel Panic the machine if I had played it for a few hours, or if I swapped in and out of the game a few times, etc. I eventually found out (from an official Blizzard poster) that NVidia has a bug in their drivers that kernel panics a Mac Pro if any memory past the 2GB boundary is addressed in the driver. After waiting months for a resolution to this, I decided to post on Apple's support site. Here is an image of my post.. Within a few hours, they removed it from the site, placing it under 'Posts Removed by Administration.' What's going on here? Is Apple trying to hide this bug, or is there something more serious going on between Apple and NVidia?"

post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Peters View Post

If this is true, hopefully 10.4.9 fixes it. ATI wasn't discussed, but a Mac Pro /w ATI or the MBPs should be safe. Buying the 24" iMac with max memory might be a trouble spot.
post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If this is true, hopefully 10.4.9 fixes it. ATI wasn't discussed, but a Mac Pro /w ATI or the MBPs should be safe. Buying the 24" iMac with max memory might be a trouble spot.

Looks like I'll have to hold my build-to-order 3GB iMac24 until Apple themselves respond.
post #69 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

I have 1GB in my May 2005 Dual 2.0 G5, but that is starting to feel awfully cramped. Once the coffers regain themselves, I would like an upgrade. Should I go for 2 or 3GB?

4GB in my mac pro
post #70 of 73
FYI regarding this bug and ATI, games on my macpro are perfect with the ATI1900XT and i have 4GB of RAM (4x1GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Peters View Post

"I purchased a Mac Pro within the first week that they were available, and immediately upgraded to 3GB of RAM (knowing that OSX loves memory). When playing 3D games (World of Warcraft mainly), the game would Kernel Panic the machine if I had played it for a few hours, or if I swapped in and out of the game a few times, etc. I eventually found out (from an official Blizzard poster) that NVidia has a bug in their drivers that kernel panics a Mac Pro if any memory past the 2GB boundary is addressed in the driver. After waiting months for a resolution to this, I decided to post on Apple's support site. Here is an image of my post.. Within a few hours, they removed it from the site, placing it under 'Posts Removed by Administration.' What's going on here? Is Apple trying to hide this bug, or is there something more serious going on between Apple and NVidia?"

post #71 of 73
I've 2 gbs of ram in my MBP. Today I opened all the apps I commonly use and left them open. (I've this bad habit left over from my windows days where I usually close Apps I'm not working with. Some old habits die hard.) I have open Excel, Pages, Safari, preview, iTunes, ical, and iPhoto. I still have 1.1 gb of memory free according to my trusty iStat nano. I glad I 've got it but I don't see how non-pros need more than 2 gbs of ram.
post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

256MB in my iBook G4. Need more...

Ouch! I have 640 MB and my Powerbook every day begs for more. As it is too old now I don't know if I will finally give it what it asks.
post #73 of 73
I've just ordered 8GB for my new Power Mac G5.

Oooh yeah!
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › How much RAM do you have?