or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › "First 30 years just the beginning..."

"First 30 years just the beginning..." - Page 4

post #121 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Hmm, it occurs to me that if Apple is only putting this teaser page up in certain countries like the US, Canada, and the UK, it's a teaser for a new product that won't see widespread distribution right away.

This speaks movie service. Rather expansion of the existing one from Apple.
post #122 of 160
Apple have removed the 'first 30 years' from their UK homepage - does this mean what ever is going to be launched we'll have to wait for months after the launch in US, just like we did with iTMS - don't let that happen again - me and my Christmas bonus are waiting for you!!!
post #123 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibs View Post

Apple have removed the 'first 30 years' from their UK homepage - does this mean what ever is going to be launched we'll have to wait for months after the launch in US...

Few know what this means. We just speculate here. And, by the way, welcome to AppleInsider!
post #124 of 160
iPray that sumthin GRRRREAT is released.

After the release, I go to bank and iBeg for money to buy it.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #125 of 160
bibs, welcome to AI and to Temporary Insanity, where we have lots of fun wasting all out time and energy spekulatin' 'bout what's a comin', with absoultely little or no evidence to support our reasoning.8)

If Apple releases soething big, there may be a chance that it is only for th euS market temporarily. HOwever, the Keynote would not be solely US-centric, so for those of us living outside the US, there will be something nice.

This one is gonna be big, but what it's gonna be is anybody's guess.

post #126 of 160
Yes, I think the iMac will be the next big thing from Apple.

No chin. Just the LCD and get this..... NO BORDERS AROUND THE SCREEN.
The image will be plastic borderless.

real cool.
post #127 of 160
Hmm, as bibs pointed out, that image is gone from the UK, Canada, and Europe sites. Only up in the US so I wonder if it'll disappear tonight,
post #128 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Hmm, as bibs pointed out, that image is gone from the UK, Canada, and Europe sites. Only up in the US so I wonder if it'll disappear tonight,

There's a good chance that it was never intended for any of the other Apple pages. As MW is a US fair the teaser was likely only intended for the US website. It might have slipped onto the other pages as all Apple web sites are controlled and updated from the US, which was promptly corrected.

We probably read way too much into this.

In any case be aware that Apple usually disappoints when they allude to something 'huge'. In the end it's probably just a teaser for Mac OS X 10.5 - being the best Mac OS ever (TM).
I wouldn't be surprised if MW SF is merely about Leopard - and that's that.
post #129 of 160
Tweened from Calvin and Hobbes: "The key to happiness is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met."

Not in this case.

I don't think this is going to be a small year for Apple, and think that we will all be pretty surprised at what is coming.

post #130 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by European guy View Post

real cool.

Some people like the chin... for post-its and stuff :-)
post #131 of 160
Quote:

real cool.

A nice dream here. Unfortunately, I had a different one last night.
post #132 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

My wife was surprised when I asked her whether she liked the chin on her iMac 17. It was so thickly covered with post-its she couldn't actually see it!

Personally, I like the big Apple smiling at me every day. Keeps me company.

post #133 of 160
the greatest advice ive gotten on these forums thus far is to put stickies on my imac's chin. my effeciency will go way up!
at present:
20" 2GHz 2GB iMac Core Duo X.4 & Super Drive

next year:
27" 2.7GHz 4GB iMac Core Duo 3 X.5 & Ultimate Drive
at present:
20" 2GHz 2GB iMac Core Duo X.4 & Super Drive

next year:
27" 2.7GHz 4GB iMac Core Duo 3 X.5 & Ultimate Drive
post #134 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Sounds like one sticky situation
post #135 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdstudios View Post

the greatest advice ive gotten on these forums thus far is to put stickies on my imac's chin. my effeciency will go way up!

Yep, beats the alternatives of keeping nice, neat, and organized notes in a Text Editor or something.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #136 of 160
Isn't a computer just a big paper weight anyways?

You can't always help how others give you memos. Often times, people choose paper.

post #137 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Isn't a computer just a big paper weight anyways?

You can't always help how others give you memos. Often times, people choose paper.

Fair Enough

Tip off Greenpeace about all the people wasting Paper by not sending documents to you in digital form.

Sebastian
post #138 of 160
Maybe they could surround our island in their litle boats and spiffy outfits and hold up a sign printed on.... PAPER!!

4 days 7 hours 58 minutes

plus about 2 hours of iChat

post #139 of 160
Quote:

real cool.

oh if only it were true
post #140 of 160
Yeah i think leopard is coming too but have you noticed that you cant buy isight cams from apple.com any more so theres another thing that is going to happen at mwsf...
Mac For Life =))
Mac For Life =))
post #141 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Maybe they could surround our island in their litle boats and spiffy outfits and hold up a sign printed on.... PAPER!!

4 days 7 hours 58 minutes

plus about 2 hours of iChat

Nah, Greenpeace has more style then that.

They'll bring a big Gigantic Plasma (that is likely full of toxic chemicals) blaring the Words (in green) "Apple T3H SuX0Rz for making a handy spot to waste TREES in the form of Post It notes on their iMac Lines, oh and give us your $Green!$ to help take down Apple"

At the bottom will be a tiny disclaimer nobody can read without a Highe Powered Telescope up close to the screen saying "Apple is a Proud Supporter of the PDF Standard having based an OS using it for it's Rendering Engine and placing a Print to PDF option in every Application"

---------------------
If you're lucky you'll get the Paper Sign though

Sebastian
post #142 of 160
What bothers me about this is that Apple is giving up a prime piece of web real estate for more than a week for a really vague teaser. There has to be a good reason why they're not using the space to promote a product.

The only thing I can get out of this is that they want people to know that they're 30 years old. Why? Not sure. Maybe it's just to remind people they have staying power, iPod/Mac is not just a fad. Less likely, maybe they want to scare up studio support for the movie store; "you don't want to be left out of the great new stuff we have coming."

A thirtieth anniversary Mac or iPod seems unlikely, but I can't get the idea out of my head that they're priming people with the "30".

It's unclear, but I think there's a reason here beyond a teaser.
post #143 of 160
30 Frames Per Second?
post #144 of 160
Quote:

Come on! There's Dashboard for that! Just a 'click' and it's there! It's hard to break old PC/Windows habits, but it's worth it.
post #145 of 160
That graphic on Apple's homepage is also a banner at Moscone, it seems. What does it mean? I think it has to do with Apple morphing beyond a computer company. It has become a consumer electronics company, the next Sony, but Sony isn't doing well these days. Apple is into digital music, digital video, sound, portable players and is about to get into the living room with iTV and into another pocket with a phone. All of these things are and will be well integrated, offering an unparalleled user experience.

So, the graphic represents the dawning of a new era for Apple. Macworld is also when Steve sets the tone for the year. Not everything will come out at once. I hope the phone gets at least a mention or the stock could drop. Of course, the stock could also go up if Steve mentions how many iPods and Macs were sold last quarter.
post #146 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Come on! There's Dashboard for that! Just a 'click' and it's there! It's hard to break old PC/Windows habits, but it's worth it.

There is also a dedicated Application

Sebastian
post #147 of 160
Quote:

real cool.

I love the chin on the iMac, and I would never think of putting post-its on it. Some of us just like the look. It has a classic monitor look but it's floating.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #148 of 160
just something i noticed when looking through the balance sheets of dell, apple and others. apple has increased their R&D spending by about 40% from 2005 to 2006. in fact the spending was pretty stable at about 500 million per year up till 2005, then jumped to 712 million in 2006. i wonder if we'll see a similar jump in 2007.

knowing how efficient apple is today with its R&D money, this sortof spending increase would only coincide with new, real products happening. some of which i'm sure we've seen already and some we have yet to see.

interestingly if you look at competitors like MSFT and DELL, their R&D budgets have either flatlined or retreated slightly in recent years. MS was spending more 3 years ago than they did last year.
post #149 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post

...There has to be a good reason why they're not using the space to promote a product....

They are using the space to promote a product, its just that we don't know what the product is yet!
post #150 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypopped View Post

just something i noticed when looking through the balance sheets of dell, apple and others. apple has increased their R&D spending by about 40% from 2005 to 2006. in fact the spending was pretty stable at about 500 million per year up till 2005, then jumped to 712 million in 2006. i wonder if we'll see a similar jump in 2007.

They were also granted quite a few patents this year

Sebastian
post #151 of 160
Well it is notable that Apple was founded in 1976, but they did not release the Apple II until 1977. I think that expansion into other product lines and fields is what Stevie has planned. And maybe a visit by Woz. Just a thought, but Jobs seems like a man more interested in action than important dates.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"

post #152 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Well it is notable that Apple was founded in 1976, but they did not release the Apple II until 1977. I think that expansion into other product lines and fields is what Stevie has planned. And maybe a visit by Woz. Just a thought, but Jobs seems like a man more interested in action than important dates.

That's because they were too busy building and Selling Apple I's by hand to their local hardware/computer/something shop.

Sebastian
post #153 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

That's because they were too busy building and Selling Apple I's by hand to their local hardware/computer/something shop.

Sebastian

Don't forget the whole "development" thing.

But that does not change my point.

What is the corporate info boilerplate?

"Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and ..."
Steve had his hands on that and he had his hands on the teaser.

post #154 of 160
See the new Macworld Setup thread.. an Italian site got some good pics.. looks like the 30th Anniversary theme is prevalent several of those banners including right in the front windows..
post #155 of 160
Yes, it is very interesting that Apple is playing up this angle so much, hopefully pointing more toward the "future" than reflecting on the past, and very hopefully pointing toward some paradigm shift (into overdrive) with whatever new product release(s) they pop out.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #156 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Sounds like one sticky situation

Actually, it's more likely a multitude stickies situation
post #157 of 160
Check the other post with the Italian sites photos: It's the theme of MacWorld Expo. Not a New Year's message. A message about the coming year's big changes.
post #158 of 160
I wouldn't expect a major overhaul of the UI in Leopard. There will be some colour shifts and refinement but that has always occurred as part of a major "dot" release. If you're expecting something completely new and different I'd be prepared to be disappointed. iTunes 7 is the best indication of what we're likely to see in Leopard. Be careful not to get swept up in the reality distortion field!
post #159 of 160
I may be crazy, but after seeing the banners in the web photos and in person, I've gotta say this looks like an ad campaign theme, with "Welcome to 2007" as the tagline.
post #160 of 160
btw...TOMORROW IS THNE DAY...it will dawn
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › "First 30 years just the beginning..."