or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › "First 30 years just the beginning..."

"First 30 years just the beginning..." - Page 2

post #41 of 160
There haven't been 30 years of George Bush, thankfully, but I think we should be prepared for 2007!

---

This is a big, big teaser. Quick, Ireland: post your widget image. I need to know how little sleep I will get until we know the answer.

Arrrrgghhhh! Off the the bank to rearrange my portfolio so I can spend more money! Another loan won't hurt...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #42 of 160
It's a projector.

CONFIRMED!!!!

post #43 of 160
well, i think the apple is only black to have a contrast with the beam of bright, white light coming out from behind it. But I believe the background is the color it is because that will have to have something to do with the new UI. It HAS to have SOMETHING to do with it; even if it doesn't have the lead part, it will be a neccesary extra in the musical that is Leopard.
@Ireland: i wouldn't doubt that in the LEAST.
post #44 of 160
It signals SOMETHING is on the horizon. Many people have said that it's nothing more than a "Happy New Year"/30th anniversary message from Apple. I would agree, were it not for the clear visual of the sun coming up over the Apple horizon, or the Apple eclipsing a soon to be revealed 'light'. That visual definitely suggests that there is something in store for us.

Just like the curtains for "one more thing" or the Spotlights for "It's Showtime", Apple doesn't use a graphic without meaning.

You could argue that it's just meant to be the dawn of the next 30 years of innovation, but it explicitly calls out 2007, and does so days before the biggest Apple event of the year.

Whether it means a MONUMENTAL new product or service, or simply a refinement that brings the ends 'together' is open for debate. Either way, it's clear Steve plans to outline the dawn of a new Apple next week.
post #45 of 160
Good one! Great bit of Photoshoppery.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #46 of 160
there is another thread that I think most people missed about Apple attending CES, and on the info page the address listed is not their address but the address for Sling Media, and the booth that should be listed for Apple is marked Slingbox, which I see as a sign of something big with these two companies.

I think Apple's masterplan is that they bought Slingbox and incorporated the technology into the iTV (it has all the connections needed and more), and created an easy way for you to access your entire home theater (cable, digital cable, satalite, tivo recordings, DVD's, and all the media from your mac) from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD via the internet on your laptop or possibly even the iPod Phone. How's that for digital convergence? This is the most Apple-like move I can think of and the evidence is there.

I think the part about being able to beam your media from your mac to your TV was just the smaller part of the functionality, and looking back on it I don't feel like they really hyped it up so that's what makes me think there is another huge part of the iTV puzzle and I think the Slingbox thing fits in perfectly.
post #47 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobass213 View Post

there is another thread that I think most people missed about Apple attending CES, and on the info page the address listed is not their address but the address for Sling Media, and the booth that should be listed for Apple is marked Slingbox, which I see as a sign of something big with these two companies.

I think Apple's masterplan is that they bought Slingbox and incorporated the technology into the iTV (it has all the connections needed and more), and created an easy way for you to access your entire home theater (cable, digital cable, satalite, tivo recordings, DVD's, and all the media from your mac) from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD via the internet on your laptop or possibly even the iPod Phone. How's that for digital convergence? This is the most Apple-like move I can think of and the evidence is there.

I think the part about being able to beam your media from your mac to your TV was just the smaller part of the functionality, and looking back on it I don't feel like they really hyped it up so that's what makes me think there is another huge part of the iTV puzzle and I think the Slingbox thing fits in perfectly.

Holy Crap!! That would be frickin HUGE!!

I can't wait!!! I'm going to CES!!!! wOOT!!

/breathes into brown paper bag
post #48 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobass213 View Post

The iTV, as shown, has no video inputs whatsoever. That would leave it somewhat lacking in terms of becoming a SlingBox (which takes video IN and distributes it through the web). While I would love to see a union between Apple and Sling, I don't think it's likely. Apple isn't interested in 'slinging' media around the globe to ANY device you want; they don't get paid for that. They get paid to sell you Macs, iPods and (to a lesser extent) content for those devices via the iTMS. Sling circumvents the iTMS by serving up (for free) the shows you might miss while away from home; Apple would prefer you BUY that show from the iTMS to watch on your Mac, iPod, or through your MAC to the iTV.
post #49 of 160
"Beyond the Rumor Sites... Way Beyond"

"Full Speed ahead, warp factor 5"

yadda yadda

For us old schoolers, this is Apple just setting themselves up for another huge fall...
post #50 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

There haven't been 30 years of George Bush, thankfully, but I think we should be prepared for 2007!

---

This is a big, big teaser. Quick, Ireland: post your widget image. I need to know how little sleep I will get until we know the answer.

Arrrrgghhhh! Off the the bank to rearrange my portfolio so I can spend more money! Another loan won't hurt...

Oh.. that damn Bush guy!

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #51 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

The iTV, as shown, has no video inputs whatsoever. That would leave it somewhat lacking in terms of becoming a SlingBox.

Huh? Yes it does.
post #52 of 160
Huh? No it doesn't.
post #53 of 160
Huh, I think it does.....

post #54 of 160
Well, over at Ars they happen to have a somewhat different explanation:
Quote:
perhaps Apple is blocking out the sun in order to have more darkness to doctor their financial documents.

Quote:

It signals SOMETHING is on the horizon. Many people have said that it's nothing more than a "Happy New Year"/30th anniversary message from Apple. I would agree, were it not for the clear visual of the sun coming up over the Apple horizon, or the Apple eclipsing a soon to be revealed 'light'. That visual definitely suggests that there is something in store for us.

Just like the curtains for "one more thing" or the Spotlights for "It's Showtime", Apple doesn't use a graphic without meaning.

You could argue that it's just meant to be the dawn of the next 30 years of innovation, but it explicitly calls out 2007, and does so days before the biggest Apple event of the year.

Whether it means a MONUMENTAL new product or service, or simply a refinement that brings the ends 'together' is open for debate. Either way, it's clear Steve plans to outline the dawn of a new Apple next week.
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
post #55 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post

"Beyond the Rumor Sites... Way Beyond"

"Full Speed ahead, warp factor 5"

yadda yadda

For us old schoolers, this is Apple just setting themselves up for another huge fall...

co-signed. I'm not getting all that excited.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #56 of 160
Even if they do not announce many new products, if they reveal a new UI for Leopard, that will be plenty. We will get the iTV soon, there isn't any doubt about that.
~jvb
~jvb
post #57 of 160
Youre, like, all forgetting one thing. The reality distortion field. Lets face it, most people on this board will think that whatevers released will be great. Even if its, like, you know, Windows ME.
post #58 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Huh, I think it does.....

If it has ingoing ports, where's the space for the outgoing ones?

post #59 of 160
Haha, I was starting to think about the image being Pepto for investors, then the Ars post, LOL
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
post #60 of 160
Quote:

The iTV, as shown, has no video inputs whatsoever. That would leave it somewhat lacking in terms of becoming a SlingBox (which takes video IN and distributes it through the web). While I would love to see a union between Apple and Sling, I don't think it's likely. Apple isn't interested in 'slinging' media around the globe to ANY device you want; they don't get paid for that. They get paid to sell you Macs, iPods and (to a lesser extent) content for those devices via the iTMS. Sling circumvents the iTMS by serving up (for free) the shows you might miss while away from home; Apple would prefer you BUY that show from the iTMS to watch on your Mac, iPod, or through your MAC to the iTV.

Ahh that is true. But this is also a prototype box, weren't there rumors of a bigger box? And maybe they could make 2 different boxes for those who didn't want the slingbox funtionality.

It is true that they wouldn't make any money through this, but it would expand their product line into the average person's home, another halo effect. If they were the first to make a truly practical unit like this, easy enough for my mom to use, they could dominate this market as well, and have a hold on digital music AND most other forms of media. They wouldn't be making any money on the TV aspect, but the funtionality alone would fly the iTV box off the shelves. And they're obviously going to make it super easy to buy content from the iTMS, so the iPod would be to digital music what the iTV will be to video, in a way.
post #61 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

I predict that this graphic will disappear at the stroke of midnight (PST) ... nothing more than a hyperbolic 'Happy New Year' message; the filename denoting only that it's to be posted on 01/01 2007.

Well, it appears you were wrong. It was initially on the US and Canada sites but is now on the UK and Europe sites. Macbooks on just about all other sites except Japan where there's a shuffle. I think this is more than a Happy New Year message. When has Apple ever done that?

This means something. This is important.

post #62 of 160
6 days, 18 hours, 59 minutes until we find out if its important.
~jvb
~jvb
post #63 of 160
I love that new image!!
post #64 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

HDMI

or there is more, fed by the usb port. And/or there is something else with an airport express/airport base station that connects to the cable and streams.

Content can be streamed in both directions.
post #65 of 160
Let me take a guess, from the info provided in the image.

What was Apple's first product, 30 years ago? The Apple I, of course.

The Apple I was a fully assembled motherboard but with no case and no keyboard...

Maybe Apple will surprise us by starting to sell cheap bare-bone Mac motherboards?

It'd be the "cheap tower" some people have been clamoring for. That way they could tap into the market of people that only upgrade their PC motherboards, keeping their cases and HDDs. They could reach geeks that like to "build their own PC" and small street corner PC shops by providing volume discount. The whole argument of "But I can build my own PC for X dollars" would be lessened.

But nahhh it won't happen, it's just a wild guess, and personally, I'm not sure I want it to happen either. Here are the main reasons why it shouldn't happen:

It could negatively affect the sales of their already-built Macs, cannibalizing sales. Small PC shops could sell custom Macs with incompatible parts that only work on Windows, worse some PC shops would sell them as Windows PCs (Eeewww that means Dvorak would've been right when he said Apple would sell Windows PCs). Some Macs would end up in ugly beige cases and Macs could lose their "cachet".

I guess you guys could find many other reasons why it would be a bad thing...
post #66 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

I was under the impression that all ports were outputs. The content would be streamed wired/wirelessly from a Mac.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #67 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Let me take a guess, from the info provided in the image...

A more revolutionary strategy, at least for home use, would be to create a Home Main Frame. A single computer based on a blade server with a fast enough back plane to allow for future proofing the system for 5 years or more. Have enough "blade" sockets for 4 to 8 blades, each capable of holding 2 processors, which would give you a maximum of up to 64 cores on the system based on chips that are soon to be released by Intel.

The system would need to be cheep enough to be sold with one lower end blade, and user servicable to add in a new blade every year for the next 3 years or to replace older blades with newer more powerfull blades. It would need a large case and a lot of room for hard drives to expand with the system as the needs of the home grow.

Pair this with a good operating system capable of utilizing and maintaining the highly parallel system and innexpensive terminals (both specialized like the iTV and generic like an iMac reworked into a terminal) to add on as the needs of the user and technology grow and you have the basis for a system which would encourage long term commitment from the consumer and award it with a unified home computer capable of growing with the needs of the user.

Not going to happen...
post #68 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Let me take a guess, from the info provided in the image.

What was Apple's first product, 30 years ago? The Apple I, of course.

The Apple I was a fully assembled motherboard but with no case and no keyboard...

Maybe Apple will surprise us by starting to sell cheap bare-bone Mac motherboards?

It'd be the "cheap tower" some people have been clamoring for. That way they could tap into the market of people that only upgrade their PC motherboards, keeping their cases and HDDs. They could reach geeks that like to "build their own PC" and small street corner PC shops by providing volume discount. The whole argument of "But I can build my own PC for X dollars" would be lessened.

But nahhh it won't happen, it's just a wild guess, and personally, I'm not sure I want it to happen either. Here are the main reasons why it shouldn't happen:

It could negatively affect the sales of their already-built Macs, cannibalizing sales. Small PC shops could sell custom Macs with incompatible parts that only work on Windows, worse some PC shops would sell them as Windows PCs (Eeewww that means Dvorak would've been right when he said Apple would sell Windows PCs). Some Macs would end up in ugly beige cases and Macs could lose their "cachet".

I guess you guys could find many other reasons why it would be a bad thing...

Any HDD should work apple just needs to open to any video card.
post #69 of 160
Quote:

It's a projector.

CONFIRMED!!!!

Are you making a subtle joke that I am not aware of, or are you serious?

How do you have that kind of information?
post #70 of 160
Hmm, it occurs to me that if Apple is only putting this teaser page up in certain countries like the US, Canada, and the UK, it's a teaser for a new product that won't see widespread distribution right away. If it were just a New Year's greeting from Apple, it'd be up on all of Apple's international sites.

Let that be a clue unto you.
post #71 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

If there were a prime number of exclamation marks that would have been true.
post #72 of 160
It's the Thirtieth Anniversary Mac!
post #73 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Hmm, it occurs to me that if Apple is only putting this teaser page up in certain countries like the US, Canada, and the UK, it's a teaser for a new product that won't see widespread distribution right away. If it were just a New Year's greeting from Apple, it'd be up on all of Apple's international sites.

I've often seen different images on various Apple sites that don't necessarily lead to varying product availability or promotion. Being in Canada I regularly check both the Canadian site and US one. They often differ slightly, especially in the 4 boxes below the primary graphic, but 9 times out of time 10 the product offerings are the same in both countries. I do notice with new product announcements that there is a time delay with Apple Canada posting news, well past the physcial time zone differences. \
post #74 of 160
Apple's 30th anniv. was April 1, 2006. The 20th anniv. of the Mac was Jan., 2004.

What Apple seems to be saying is that the first 30 years was the warmup so get ready for the pitch.
post #75 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-thinker View Post

It's the Thirtieth Anniversary Mac!

The taMAC!!

uh... no
post #76 of 160
Quote:

Let that be a clue unto you.

Either that, or they never wrote it in any other language. However, I never checked Australia, so I could be way off.
post #77 of 160
Quote:

Sorry about replying to myself but I just thought of something. Since the teaser is only on a few sites, maybe it's a product localization issue. What would be the most difficult thing to localize, production-wise? My guess would be the iPod phone if it has a physical keypad. Some rumors say it does. Apple would do English keys first and others would follow.

Apple's graphic seems to denote a whole new platform and the phone would do it. Other things like a video iPod or an iTV box would be easy to localize in software.
post #78 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post

Welcome to Ai, Martin C, and especially to Temporary Insanity!

CONFIRMED!!! is a little joke that we have around here, so don't worry; I have no idea nor inside infor on specific products. Was just looking at the image on Apple's site again and noticed a projector-like flare.

Rolo might have a point: if the teaser is not up o but a few sites, then it might be a localization issue. It could also be that they want to start one place and then move to others later (ie., if it is a video pod, they need movie download rights first, and they ain't got 'em in Japan, that's for sure)).

Just the same, I don't think that Apple would only focus on the US market, as a large portion of their sales come from the international market (namely: me).

post #79 of 160
Quote:

It's a projector.

CONFIRMED!!!!

That...would...be unexpected... \

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #80 of 160
I think the folks at Ars got it right. The image looks like and ECLIPSE to me...the sun coming back from behing the moon..with the Apple just being in silhouette. What could that mean?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › "First 30 years just the beginning..."