or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: S&P ups Apple to "Strong Buy", Apple posts teaser
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: S&P ups Apple to "Strong Buy", Apple posts teaser

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
Standard and Poor's have upgraded Apple Computer to a 5-start stock. Meanwhile, one security analyst has officially kicked-off the "Month of Apple Bugs." And over at Apple.com, the company is having some fun with its faithful -- posting its first pre-Macworld teaser in five years.

S&P upgrades Apple

Standard and Poor's analyst Richard Stice on Friday upgraded shares of Apple from a 4-star "Buy" to a 5-star "Strong Buy," saying the most recent formal disclosures surrounding its stock-option issues are helping to alleviate lingering uncertainty for the company.

"While the entire scenario is cause for concern, we believe these formal disclosures will help alleviate lingering uncertainty for the company," he wrote. "Moreover, we think fundamental business drivers remain intact."

Stice maintained his 12-month target price of $110 on shares of Apple.

Month of Apple Bugs tips-off

A security analyst who vowed that January would be the "Month of Apple Bugs," is making good on his promise this week with an inaugural bug listing titled "Apple Quicktime rtsp URL Handler Stack-based Buffer Overflow."

"A vulnerability exists in the handling of the rtsp:// URL handler," the analyst wrote. "By supplying a specially crafted string (rtsp:// [random] + semicolon + [299 bytes padding + payload]), an attacker could overflow a stack-based buffer, using either HTML, Javascript or a QTL file as attack vector, leading to an exploitable remote arbitrary code execution condition."

The issue has been successfully exploited in QuickTime Version 7.1.3 and Player Version 7.1.3, according to the report. Previous versions should also be vulnerable on both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.

Apple posts teaser on website

Apple this week updated the landing page of Apple.com with a new graphic and teaser for the new year. "The first 30 years were just the beginning," the company wrote. "Welcome to 2007."

As noted by MacRumors, the last time Apple posted pre-Macworld teasers was in 2002. In that instance, the company changed its teaser text daily in the week leading up to Macworld San Francisco 2002.

Graphic teaser appearing at Apple.com | Source: Apple Computer, Inc.

"This one is big. Even by our standards," read one message. "Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond," said another.

The 2002 conference eventually gave way to the flat-panel iMac, a 14-inch iBook, iPhoto and the first Macs to ship with Mac OS X as the default operating system.
post #2 of 42
I think I just dropped a deuce in my pants! Can't wait!
post #3 of 42
Clean your shorts, babies! Must look presentable for MWSF! ...the insanity is really ramping up now...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Holy rigatoni!

Haven't enough of your posts been deleted? Are you going for a record or something?
post #5 of 42
Tying this image to a previous MacWorld teaser is an incorrect assumption behind the intent of it. It doesn't say "Welcome to MacWorld" but to 2007, implying the whole year and not the upcoming event next week. This is along the same lines as when S.J. said the previous year will be "the year of HD", just this year will be more than just HD. I'm sure MacWorld will usher in some new products and insight on Apple's direction for the year but will no way be the whole ball of wax.
post #6 of 42
Good news for me, as I have invested in a considerable amount of Apple stock already. Even though I'm young

I turned out to be an early investor.
~jvb
Reply
~jvb
Reply
post #7 of 42
A lucky '07 to everyone!

I hope .mac will finally rock with a living community of creative pros! I sincerely hope they will abandon the awkward iWeb idea in favour of an advanced homepage with straightfwd navigation and networking facilities! Yes! Kinda MySpace but alotmore user friendly!!

Also in 2007, the Cover Browser (introduced in iTunes) finds its way into Finder, the Address Book and iPhoto!


Yes! It's definitely gonna be the year of the Leopard!
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Haven't enough of your posts been deleted? Are you going for a record or something?

Don't playa hate...congratulate!
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by crees! View Post

This is along the same lines as when S.J. said the previous year will be "the year of HD",

And we all know how that turned out.
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

And we all know how that turned out.

just smashing
post #11 of 42
can't...

fooking...

wait!!!
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
Reply
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
Reply
post #12 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

can't...

fooking...

wait!!!

How are you going to manage that?
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Holy rigatoni!

Wilco,

No offense, dude. But this is getting real old and lame. Please stop with the pointless replies. They'll be deleted from here on out.

Thanks,

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
Reply
post #14 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Wilco,

No offense, dude. But this is getting real old and lame. Please stop with the pointless replies. They'll be deleted from here on out.

Thanks,

K

THANK YOU! The dumb replies are bad enough, but quoting the entire article just to reply with an exclamation involving pasta drives me up the wall. I really want to ripe this kid a new one.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 42
"Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond,"

Wow, we can come up with some pretty out there crap on these rumor sites. I am even more excited for the year now... can Apple really out do evenour greatest hopes?
~Tokolosh
Reply
~Tokolosh
Reply
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post

"Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond,"

Wow, we can come up with some pretty out there crap on these rumor sites. I am even more excited for the year now... can Apple really out do evenour greatest hopes?

I think you misread the badly constructed article. The "Way Beyond" crap was what apple pontificated leading up to the macworld expo in 2002. And it was so not even close to the rumor sites that they were ridiculed.

Let's hope for more of the same this year!
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

just smashing

Yeah, just great. Except it was a couple of years later then he'd hope, to the point that perhaps we might get there in 2007. Or maybe it turned out that HD was just a fad, and as such, Apple decided not to bother using it for any of their video stuff.
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

just smashing

Really? What HD innovations did Apple produce that year?
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Really? What HD innovations did Apple produce that year?

The market decides when it makes economic sense to adopt, not a marketing slogan.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Wilco,

No offense, dude. But this is getting real old and lame. Please stop with the pointless replies. They'll be deleted from here on out.

Thanks,

K

Aaaaaaaw...... poor Wilco. \

I'll admit to initially being one of the VERY irritated members (in fact, I originally signed on to AI to respond to him).

But I have to say that it has, for me, acquired that "crazy aunt-in-the-cellar" quaility. I will miss it TERRIBLY if his queerness (I am using it in the traditional English sense of the term) were censored.

Just my 2¢.
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Really? What HD innovations did Apple produce that year?

Apple did get FCP set for HD. Both they and Panasonic got their act together, as they did with Sony.

That WAS a big dealin the video/Tv industry. No so much for home users.

Affordable HD cams just came out in the latter of 2006. So they were a year off with that.

But 2007 might be the year for HD all around.
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple did get FCP set for HD. Both they and Panasonic got their act together, as they did with Sony.

That WAS a big dealin the video/Tv industry. No so much for home users.

Affordable HD cams just came out in the latter of 2006. So they were a year off with that.

But 2007 might be the year for HD all around.

I believe they also introduced HD support for iMovie in iLife 06.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Aaaaaaaw...... poor Wilco. \

I'll admit to initially being one of the VERY irritated members (in fact, I originally signed on to AI to respond to him).

But I have to say that it has, for me, acquired that "crazy aunt-in-the-cellar" quaility. I will miss it TERRIBLY if his queerness (I am using it in the traditional English sense of the term) were censored.

Just my 2¢.

Thanks for the semi-kind words. My "italian noodles" first post on threads was originally a response to silly members like Ireland, who seemingly have never had a thought that he didn't turn into a thread.

But perhaps it's time retire the noodle posts -- although I can guarantee a "The Zune is brown!!!11 Like poo!!11" post anytime I see someone write something comparing the Zune to poo.
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Thanks for the semi-kind words. My "italian noodles" first post on threads was originally a response to silly members like Ireland, who seemingly have never had a thought that he didn't turn into a thread.

But perhaps it's time retire the noodle posts -- although I can guarantee a "The Zune is brown!!!11 Like poo!!11" post anytime I see someone write something comparing the Zune to poo.

You're semi-welcome.

Could you please explain one thing before your retire this for good: What's with the "11" after ..."brown!!!" and "...poo!!"? I don't get it. (Also, is there any significance to the fact that there are three exclamation points after the first sentence, but only two after the second.)
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I believe they also introduced HD support for iMovie in iLife 06.

And perhaps Apple had lots of HD things cooking in the labs (iTV), so it was the year of HD inside Apple, but this year we get to see more fruits of those labors.

If Apple DOESN'T announce the iPhone (or iChat Mobile or whatever) at MacWorld, look for the stock to take a big dip even if they release Leopard, lower the price of iPods to $10, and announce a 64 core MacBook.

- Jasen.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I believe they also introduced HD support for iMovie in iLife 06.

That sounds about right.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

And perhaps Apple had lots of HD things cooking in the labs (iTV), so it was the year of HD inside Apple, but this year we get to see more fruits of those labors.

If Apple DOESN'T announce the iPhone (or iChat Mobile or whatever) at MacWorld, look for the stock to take a big dip even if they release Leopard, lower the price of iPods to $10, and announce a 64 core MacBook.

- Jasen.

I think I can guarantee one thing for sure.

My prediction:

They WON'T announce an "iPhone"!
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think I can guarantee one thing for sure.

My prediction:

They WON'T announce an "iPhone"!

I believe you are correct. The whole ApplePhone/iPhone meme has been like a pesky Internet virus, but that just don't make it so... I doubt AAPL will take a hit on an imaginary introduction that won't happen, but in case it does, time to load up on more.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I believe you are correct. The whole ApplePhone/iPhone meme has been like a pesky Internet virus, but that just don't make it so... I doubt AAPL will take a hit on an imaginary introduction that won't happen, but in case it does, time to load up on more.

Well, whatever they might choose to introduce, it won't be called the "iPhone".
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, whatever they might choose to introduce, it won't be called the "iPhone".

What's your best guess... a phone, or something less spectacular?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What's your best guess... a phone, or something less spectacular?

We can just go by what we read. All the accounts say that Apple has already been manufacturing two different models. One without an OS, basically a music phone, and one witha smartphone.

If they don't say something about it people will be selling short.

The problem is that the speculation was so high for this "iPhone" that when Cisco introduced aa "iPhone" familly, Apple's stock dropped 5 points. Turns out Cisco had the copyright on the name for over 10 years!

This is a pretty good article on what to expect, or not.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...tion/index.php
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We can just go by what we read. All the accounts say that Apple has already been manufacturing two different models. One without an OS, basically a music phone, and one witha smartphone.

If they don't say something about it people will be selling short.

The problem is that the speculation was so high for this "iPhone" that when Cisco introduced aa "iPhone" familly, Apple's stock dropped 5 points. Turns out Cisco had the copyright on the name for over 10 years!

This is a pretty good article on what to expect, or not.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...tion/index.php

Nice theories in the article... 30th Anniversary Mac, huh? If price is no object, they could really go for broke with this one.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #33 of 42
Some of you guys don't seem to realize how much the dribble you post dilutes these threads. It's hardly worth reading the comments anymore.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Some of you guys don't seem to realize how much the dribble you post dilutes these threads. It's hardly worth reading the comments anymore.

Good, don't bother then.

You don't HAVE to post either.
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Good, don't bother then.

You don't HAVE to post either.

Thanks for proving my point and showing such maturity.
post #36 of 42
Oh stop arguing over posts. I find Wilco's posts highly amusing and actually he brings the balance to these forums. Of course they'll delete his threads, but I'm going to miss them too. Can't imaging what makes people crazy over that. You people need a purgatory course on OSNews forums. Really.
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Thanks for proving my point and showing such maturity.

Your point could have been left to yourself. That was the problem.

We do what we want to. If you don't like it you don't have to be here.

That pretty simple, and is less childish that your inane comment.
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Oh stop arguing over posts. I find Wilco's posts highly amusing and actually he brings the balance to these forums. Of course they'll delete his threads, but I'm going to miss them too. Can't imaging what makes people crazy over that. You people need a purgatory course on OSNews forums. Really.

Perhaps we need a "Permanent Insanity" forum.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

We can just go by what we read. All the accounts say that Apple has already been manufacturing two different models. One without an OS, basically a music phone, and one witha smartphone.

And from what I hear through the 'grapevine', they're being produced with Apple's new PDA, the iWalk, and their new tablet computer, the MacTabBook. So it looks like MWSF is going to ROCK!

And since the iTV is finally proof of the rumors of that set-top box Apple was making back in 1998 (Columbus is its name) was real! The rumor sites were right!
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You're semi-welcome.

Could you please explain one thing before your retire this for good: What's with the "11" after ..."brown!!!" and "...poo!!"? I don't get it. (Also, is there any significance to the fact that there are three exclamation points after the first sentence, but only two after the second.)

A Parent's Primer to L33t Spe4k
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: S&P ups Apple to "Strong Buy", Apple posts teaser