or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Product Name Guess Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Product Name Guess Roundup

post #1 of 56
Thread Starter 
Okay, so people all around the interweb are coming up with all these ideas for names of what Apple's new products will be. I wanted to create one thread that everyone here can put their final guesses for what these products will ACTUALLY be called (if released).

IMPORTANT: It's not a prediction on whether it will be released, just what it'll be called if it is.

Reply the list below, changing your guesses. Add whatever products you think I missed.

"iPhone": iPod chat
"iTV": Airport Theater
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod theater
Tablet: MacPod
30th Anniv. Mac: Mac 30
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Cells
Database app in iWork: Data
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #2 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Okay, so people all around the interweb are coming up with all these ideas for names of what Apple's new products will be. I wanted to create one thread that everyone here can put their final guesses for what these products will ACTUALLY be called (if released).

IMPORTANT: It's not a prediction on whether it will be released, just what it'll be called if it is.

Copy and paste the list below, changing your guesses. Add whatever products you think I missed.

"iPhone": iPod chat
"iTV": Airport Theater
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod theater
Tablet: MacPod
30th Anniv. Mac: Mac 30
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Cells
Database app in iWork: Data

- Apple's spreadsheet app will simply be called either Numbers or Spreadsheet. Fact!

- 30th Anniv. Mac: "Apple's Most Expensive Computer You'll Ever Own", or AMECYEO!

- Levitating networked carpet: "iFloat"

This is fun, yet fruitless.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Okay, so people all around the interweb are coming up with all these ideas for names of what Apple's new products will be. I wanted to create one thread that everyone here can put their final guesses for what these products will ACTUALLY be called (if released).

IMPORTANT: It's not a prediction on whether it will be released, just what it'll be called if it is.

Reply the list below, changing your guesses. Add whatever products you think I missed.

"iPhone": iPod chat
"iTV": Airport Theater
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod theater
Tablet: MacPod
30th Anniv. Mac: Mac 30
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Cells
Database app in iWork: Data

spreadsheet - iSum
Pro word processor - iBeforeE
gourmet coffee maker - iSwideopen
electric stove - iBurnttheroastagainhoney
30th anniverary Mac -iNconceivable
whistling keychain - iKnowileftthemheresomewheredammit
side-by-side refrigerator with integrated iPod dock - iMchillin
always top-down automatic toilet paper dispenser - iPoop
Simpson's model iMac - iCarumba
Soy and Olive oil based margarine - iCan'tbelieveit'snotbutter
One of the fork and spoon operators from Sector 7-G
Reply
One of the fork and spoon operators from Sector 7-G
Reply
post #4 of 56




"How fortunate are you and I.."
Reply
"How fortunate are you and I.."
Reply
post #5 of 56
ha ha, good stuff
post #6 of 56
Thread Starter 
I was kind of intending that this thread would be taken seriously. Silly kids.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #7 of 56
"iPhone": MacPhone
"iTV": Airport HD
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod Pro
x
x
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Cells
x
post #8 of 56
"Music phone:" iPod Phone®
"Smart phone:" iPod SmartPhone®
"iTV:" Teleport® or Showtime®
Fullscreen iPod: iPod Movie®
Tablet: Mac Tablet®

30th Anniv. Mac: Not gonna happen. (But If it did it would be a 25" Black iMac with LED LCD screen, and 2.66 Core 2 Duo with Up to 4 Gig of RAM, a hefty graphics card, and a 30Watt internal digital amp)

Spreadsheet app: Somehow this will still be still called Numbers®
Database app: iData®

And if they want to give us an app. solely for the purpose of making charts, we all know what that will be called: Very light-weight app. called Charts®
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"Music phone:" iPod Phone®
"Smart phone:" iPod SmartPhone®
"iTV:" Teleport® or Showtime®
Fullscreen iPod: iPod Movie®
Tablet: Mac Tablet®

They're good, but need to be lower case. Apple is anal about that!

I'm still holding out for iPod communicator® for the phone. (For reasons, see this thread.)

Quote:
30th Anniv. Mac: Not gonna happen. (But If it did it would be a 25" Black iMac with LED LCD screen, and 2.66 Core 2 Duo with Up to 4 Gig of RAM, a hefty graphics card, and a 30Watt internal digital amp)

Drool. 8)

But an anniversary Mac would have to be made of metal rather than plastic, wouldn't it? Metal has far more class.

Quote:
Spreadsheet app: Somehow this will still be still called Numbers®

That makes sense, although I also heard the name "Lasso" around.

Quote:
Database app: iData®

I don't if Apple would make a database. Filemaker, Inc is a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple, and Filemaker has a decade long reputation as a very Mac-like, easy to use database. Why not just bundle that?

Quote:
And if they what to give us an app. solely for the purpose of making charts, we all know what that will be called: Very light-weight app. called Charts®

I hope this functionality will be included in Numbers®.
post #10 of 56
Apple Phone: MacPhone
"iTV": Showtime
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod
Tablet: Newton
30th Anniv. Mac: iMac Special Edition
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Cells
Database app in iWork: MacSQL
post #11 of 56
[QUOTE=Ireland;1017788]"Music phone:" iPod Phone®

yep just about exactly right IF they bring one out

althought would there be the variation iPod Phone and iPod nano Phone ?? i doubt it, more likely to be something else we havent heard yet
post #12 of 56
iTV = Frontrow
post #13 of 56
not knocking you just some more suggestions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Apple Phone: MacPhone
"iTV": Showtime
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod
Tablet: Newton
30th Anniv. Mac: iMac Special Edition
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Cells (this reminds of science -not sreadsheets) MacAdder?
Database app in iWork: MacSQL

Apple Phone: MacPhone -doable- Maybe iCall, MacTunes?
"iTV": Showtime (trademark infringement on the TV network?) Maybe Primetime?
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod (why mess with a good name?) anyway-- 16:9Pod, WidePod?
Tablet: Newton (perhaps legacy baggage to overcome?) Isaac, son_of_newton, iPad, MacPad??
Spreadsheet app in iWork: MacAdder?
Database app in iWork: maybe MuSQL? (since it'd be light and powerful ~muscle/muscular)

bleh....
post #14 of 56
What about Hello for the iphone?

It fits with the original mac ads

Say hello again!

post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkwürdigeliebe View Post

Apple Phone: MacPhone -doable- Maybe iCall, MacTunes?
"iTV": Showtime (trademark infringement on the TV network?) Maybe Primetime?
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod (why mess with a good name?) anyway-- 16:9Pod, WidePod?
Tablet: Newton (perhaps legacy baggage to overcome?) Isaac, son_of_newton, iPad, MacPad??
Spreadsheet app in iWork: MacAdder?
Database app in iWork: maybe MuSQL? (since it'd be light and powerful ~muscle/muscular)

I don't think you have a chance of being right with any one of those suggestions. Try again.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #16 of 56
"iPhone": iPod with phone
"iTV": Eclipse
Wide-touchscreen iPod: videoPod
Tablet: Einstein
30th Anniv. Mac: iMac SE
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Numbers
Database app in iWork: DatabaseMaker
Multimedia creation tool: Hypercard 3.0 (Ok this one is wishful thinking)
post #17 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

What about Hello for the iphone?

It fits with the original mac ads

Say hello again!

[/IMG]

Or "shay hello to ma leeddle friend!" under a caption of a once bitten Apple gunning down a paper clip.
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

"iPhone": iPod with phone
"iTV": Eclipse
Wide-touchscreen iPod: videoPod
Tablet: Einstein
30th Anniv. Mac: iMac SE
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Numbers
Database app in iWork: DatabaseMaker

DatabaseMaker is the lamest product name I've ever heard for an Apple product. Eclipse doesn't make any sense, videoPod is wholly unoriginal, iMac SE doesn't have the Apple spark, Numbers is probably right.
post #19 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter View Post

DatabaseMaker is the lamest product name I've ever heard for an Apple product. Eclipse doesn't make any sense, videoPod is wholly unoriginal, iMac SE doesn't have the Apple spark, Numbers is probably right.

Tore him a new one.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #20 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

They're good, but need to be lower case. Apple is anal about that!

..but they are lower case i?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #21 of 56
I guess, perhaps more appropriate names should be:

iPhone: iChat Mobile/iPod Chat/iChat
iTV: Showtime
Widescreen iPod: iPod
Tablet: Will never happen, so it doesn't matter but maybe something like "Canvas" or just MacBook/MacBook Pro
30th Anniv. Mac: I don't think this would happen either, can't even think of a naming scheme for this.
Spreadsheet: Numbers
Database: Matrix
Multimedia creation tool: Phenomenon/Magic
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter View Post

iMac SE doesn't have the Apple spark

Are you sure about that? It's been used before...iMac DV SE.
post #23 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Are you sure about that? It's been used before...iMac DV SE.

Yeah, but it's old, especially with recent product names like Nano, Aperture, Motion, Keynote, Shuffle, and Shuffle...

Simple, elegant, and wholly obvious names that just define the product in a simple word. They don't call the black MacBook the MacBook SE, though you could argue it is a "special edition".
post #24 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

I hope this functionality will be included in Numbers®.

That functionality is already included in Keynote. I'm talking about a light-weight dedicated Chart-making-app. If a teacher needed to make a chart for class, wasn't doing a presentation, and didn't need any of the functionality in Pages, she/he could use Charts®. Simple little app., opens in a snap, bang out the chart, boom your done!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That functionality is already included in Keynote. I'm talking about a light-weight dedicated Chart-making-app. If a teacher needed to make a chart for class, wasn't doing a presentation, and didn't need any of the functionality in Pages, she/he could use Charts®. Simple little app., opens in a snap, bang out the chart, boom your done!

That almost sounds like something Apple would just include in OS X. A basic app like text edit or calculator or even something like iCal.
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter View Post

DatabaseMaker is the lamest product name I've ever heard for an Apple product. Eclipse doesn't make any sense, videoPod is wholly unoriginal, iMac SE doesn't have the Apple spark, Numbers is probably right.

I know CosmoNut wants this to be a serious thread, but some of my guesses weren't that serious.

DatabaseMaker is a play on FileMaker, whose main task is not to make files, but databases.

Eclipse sounds good to me, it doesn't have to make much sense, much like iPod didn't scream "mp3 player". But it was just a wild guess, based on the Apple home page teaser image. The iTV could "eclipse" other means of having entertainment on your TV (well except gaming of course).

As for iMac SE, I don't think it needs a wild catchy name, the look and features would be what would distinguish it from other Macs. The Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh didn't have a very original name either. The Mac SE was very popular, it would be a nostalgic reference.

Anyway I don't understand how posts in this thread warrant such harsh criticism, as people are simply taking wild guesses, that's how a brainstorming session works. Most of the obvious and better names already have been discussed.
post #27 of 56
It's not a personal attack, merely a critique on your choices of names. I don't know how your brain storming sessions work, but in the creative world, among my colleagues, if an idea sucks, we say so, always with a smile on our face and humor in our tone, but we say so. Besides, I decided to take a Jobsonian approach to your ideas.
post #28 of 56
Apple should have continued with naming things after apples. The Apples I and II, the Macintosh, the Newton... That is playful and yet makes sense at the same time.
"How fortunate are you and I.."
Reply
"How fortunate are you and I.."
Reply
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter View Post

It's not a personal attack, merely a critique on your choices of names. I don't know how your brain storming sessions work, but in the creative world, among my colleagues, if an idea sucks, we say so, always with a smile on our face and humor in our tone, but we say so. Besides, I decided to take a Jobsonian approach to your ideas.

Oh well it's ok, maybe I overreacted, maybe I'm too sensitive
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

..but they are lower case i?

The i's fine, but the suffix names need to be lower case. The official names are iPod, iPod nano, iPod shuffle.

Thus, to correct your suggestions:

Music phone: iPod phone
Smart phone: iPod smartphone
Fullscreen iPod: iPod movie

Now, that's much more Apple-like!

But I think it's more likely to be something like:

Music phone: iPod communicator
Smart phone: n/a
Fullscreen iPod: iPod


Why?

A name like iPod communicator or iPod talker or something else on the "communicate with each other theme" is more Apple's style. Leave the plain "Zune Phone Edition" for Microsoft.

The smart phone won't be a separate product, rather it's what the phone will eventually become, the same way the original iPod picked up calendars, games, etc.

And the fullscreen, movie capable iPod won't need a suffix as it will be the sixth generation, 100GB model, so just the iPod.

Sadly, I don't think we'll see either of them of them on Tuesday. Instead, Steve will say, "Hi guys, this is a Mac show, and we've got some great things for your Mac to show you."
post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That functionality is already included in Keynote. I'm talking about a light-weight dedicated Chart-making-app. If a teacher needed to make a chart for class, wasn't doing a presentation, and didn't need any of the functionality in Pages, she/he could use Charts®. Simple little app., opens in a snap, bang out the chart, boom your done!

Good suggestion.

Although, most charts are based on data, which is probably going to have been collated in Numbers. If there is going to be a spreadsheet, including the charting features in that software would be the natural place.

I know Apple likes to use separate apps instead of rolling everything into one big app (eg, Entourage's email & addresses & scheduling, vs. Mail, Address Book, iCal), but I think having too many apps for the same data and constantly swapping between them could be a bad thing.
post #32 of 56
despite finding the endless iThis and iThat rather repetitive...

ive just been hit by an idea for the iTV name

The Apple Retina. What do you think?

i personally think its about as unlikely as all the others, but i thought it sounded good enough to share
post #33 of 56
"iPhone": iPod Talk
"iTV": iStation, Apple Media Station, iStream
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod Video WS
Tablet: x
30th Anniv. Mac: 30th Anniv. iMac
Spreadsheet app in iWork: Cells or Numbers
Database app in iWork: Data, Organize or Relate

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
Reply
post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

The smart phone won't be a separate product, rather it's what the phone will eventually become, the same way the original iPod picked up calendars, games, etc.

part of me agrees with that, but then part of me says that Apple have to have a BIG HORSE out thru the gate to start with... well fairly big...well...bigish...

well just a damn PHONE FOR FECK SAKE!


would do.... dont you think
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Database app in iWork: Relate

isnt Relate a marriage guidance service? oh thats funny... tears in my eyes laughing as Steve announces that one
post #36 of 56
"iPhone": mobiliti (get gone)
"iTV": iScreen (with two scoops please)
Wide-touchscreen iPod: iPod Touchi (watch movies through the smudged fingerprints)
Tablet: iDontThinkSo (what the heck is OWC thinking???)
30th Anniv. Mac: iMac pudge (a little thicker around the middle, but still cute)
Spreadsheet app in iWork: iXcel (what's another lawsuit?)
Database app in iWork: iLL getIt (what you want?)
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #37 of 56
iPhone=callPod
iTV=iVideo
Tablet=Macpad Pro
Widescreen iPod=telePod


That's what I think, not exactly revolutionary, but it sorta keeps with the current names
post #38 of 56
Apple phone will be called "Aloha"
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
Reply
post #39 of 56
I highly doubt the iPhone will be called the "iPod Phone" You think people want to use a 2 word name for something when...macphone (just as example) is much easier to say?
post #40 of 56
iPhone - The Apple Core
iTV - Apple Media Center
"True video iPod" just becomes - iPod
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › New Product Name Guess Roundup