or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › One Thing

One Thing

post #1 of 67
The idea is simple: post one thing about you that may not be detectable upon first glance.

For instance: I was born with Achilles tendons that were too short. As a result, I learned to walk on my toes. I still walk, often, without my heels touching the ground.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 67
I am double-jointed in my thumbs. I cannot roll my tongue.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #3 of 67
I cut off the tip of the middle finger on my right hand with a Skil saw.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

post #4 of 67
I don't drink coffee.
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I don't drink coffee.

Freak!
post #6 of 67
I have an absolutely stunning ass.
post #7 of 67
I can attest to the stunningness of BRussell's ass. The tattoo in the small of his back is very cute as well.

Nick

post #8 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I can attest to the stunningness of BRussell's ass. The tattoo in the small of his back is very cute as well.

Nick

It is a tribal pattern? I hope it is. Those are totally awesome!
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

It is a tribal pattern? I hope it is. Those are totally awesome!

And oh so classy!
post #10 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I have an absolutely stunning ass.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 67
I have a scorpion tattoo on my right hip. Also, I can't turn my left arm so that my palm is straight up.
post #12 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Nick

You must have seen the pictures currently making the rounds on the internet.
post #13 of 67
The hair on my upper arms rotates counterclockwise around a point three or so inches above my elbow...

(and midwinter walks like a velociraptor)
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

You must have seen the pictures currently making the rounds on the internet.

They don't ask... I won't tell.

Nick

post #15 of 67
Whenever a doctor looks in my ears, they go "wow, never seen that before!" - everything in there is twisted and unusual in some way, but it still seems to work.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Whenever a doctor looks in my ears, they go "wow, never seen that before!" - everything in there is twisted and unusual in some way, but it still seems to work.

I don't know if I would have gotten it at first glance, but it's absolutely no surprise to me that things inside your head are twisted and unusual in some way.
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

My ear canals are funky, too. Loads of ear infections as a kid because they apparently drain the wrong way. Or something.
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I don't drink coffee.

I drink coffee, and brew it with 4 to 6 Ayurvedic herbs mixed in the basket.

post #19 of 67
I have 3 bollocks!

no seriously....the operation to put my gut back in its rightful place is in 3 weeks and I get a month or so off work to boot. I did ask if they could make the normal side the same enlarged size, but they weren't impressed.

ive never been in hospital before...im going under general anaesthetic, I hear thats a nice euphoric experience. And reading the literature they sent me today..."You will wake up in the recovery ward area and a nurse will accompany you back to your bed area"...Bring it on, this sounds like fun!
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

I have 3 bollocks!

Photos!
Cat: the other white meat
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

ive never been in hospital before...im going under general anaesthetic, I hear thats a nice euphoric experience. And reading the literature they sent me today..."You will wake up in the recovery ward area and a nurse will accompany you back to your bed area"...Bring it on, this sounds like fun!

I've had my tonsils out and two sinus operation under general anesthesia. Neither of those were fun -- a monster sore throat from the first, something feeling like a terrible cold with a nasty sinus headache for a week after each of the sinus procedures -- but still, nothing quite had me prepared for how miserable I'd feel for the first 3-4 days after getting a 4-inch wide abdominal incision.

It's not so much that I was in terrible pain or anything, it's just that what pain there was was very incapacitating -- it was very hard to walk, change from reclining or sitting to standing and vice versa, or even just to reach for a book on my nightstand. The pain sends you this very clear (and probably accurate) message, "Do the wrong thing and you'll experience searing pain as your gut splits open". Plus my whole digestive tract backed up for a full week -- a result of anesthesia, pain medication (which I quit taking after three days), and general stress.

What was really annoying was that my abdomen was so swollen that I could barely button my jeans, and doing so put uncomfortable pressure on my incision. I mostly stayed home for about ten days, lounging around in sweatpants.

It's been sixteen days now, and today is my first day back at work. I got the staples taken out yesterday. I'm still a little sore, and still under doctor's orders not to lift anything heavy or otherwise exert myself very hard for a few more weeks, but I'm feeling great now, and pretty much felt I was out of the woods after seven days.

As for the anesthesia... it's a pleasant experience, at least to the extent that it's an experience at all. For me, it's like the time I'm under just disappears. This last time, I was being wheeled into the OR, and the next thing I was aware of was feeling spacey while being wheeled out. I vaguely remember that I might have tried to speak a few words of Spanish to my Venezuelan doctor, but I'm not sure if I just imagined that in a half-dreaming state.

I sincerely doubt that you'll be entertaining many lascivious thoughts about nurses after you wake up. You'll simply go from being way too floaty and sleepy to even consider such things to being too miserable to consider such things in fairly short order.
post #22 of 67
I had two surgeries on my right leg after a nasty break. The guy giving me the drugs (no way I'm spelling anaesthesiologistxlqyz) said "OK. YOu're goign to taste garlic and your arm will get warm. When that happens, count backwards from 10"

A few seconds later, I tasted garlic and my arm got warm. I counted "10, 9..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
post #23 of 67
I can pop both of my shoulders out. 4 Dislocations and 2 surgeries on the left shoulder - 2 Dislocations and 1 surgery on the right shoulder. Good times, and I'm only 18.
~jvb
~jvb
post #24 of 67
I had an unusually large appendix... 10 inches... it is normally just over an inch...
post #25 of 67
I have hairless areas on my shins for about 5 inches just above both ankles.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #26 of 67
"You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me, but I can run really fast." -Jerry Seinfeld

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I have hairless areas on my shins for about 5 inches just above both ankles.

Huh. Me too. What's up with that?
post #28 of 67
I am double jointed, and CAN roll my tongue! Take that Nick!
post #29 of 67
I'm surprised no one's claimed they have an 11" penis yet.
post #30 of 67
....and lo...

I have 11 penises.

There - did I done good?
post #31 of 67
But the good news is, thanks to the Beijing Penis Emporium, YOU can have even more:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/5371500.stm
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

The idea is simple: post one thing about you that may not be detectable upon first glance.

For instance: I was born with Achilles tendons that were too short. As a result, I learned to walk on my toes. I still walk, often, without my heels touching the ground.

Hmmm, I wonder if I have that too. I learned to walk on my toes and I'm not flexible at all ( I cannot bend over and touch my toes without bending my knees).

Just about the only interesting thing that I can come up with is that I can play 6 different instruments. All brass, I haven't tried anything else yet.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" ~ Vroomfondel
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder if I have that too. I learned to walk on my toes and I'm not flexible at all ( I cannot bend over and touch my toes without bending my knees).

Hmmm. Sounds like you might have Tibes dorsalis (he says - pretending to be all knowledgeable after looking up goodle

Besides, my cat walks like that and it's really cute. At least for a cat.
Quote:
Just about the only interesting thing that I can come up with is that I can play 6 different instruments. All brass, I haven't tried anything else yet.

You could try bending over whilst playing? Or perhaps, try playing with those toes to get them to flex
post #34 of 67
I have 8 porcelin veneers. At 30 yrs of age and looking a 2 yrs of braces, I opted to have it fixed in 3 weeks.

Now in meetings, I feel much more confident. <-see
post #35 of 67
I only have one thing to say about this thread...

"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I only have one thing to say about this thread...

Are you just upset because you don't have anything to contribute?
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

Are you just upset because you don't have anything to contribute?

Just grumpy I suspect.
post #38 of 67
Back to seriousness: as far as stupid party tricks go, I can touch both elbows behind my back.
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I am double jointed, and CAN roll my tongue! Take that Nick!

Yes, but you have to be double jointed in the special way that I happen to be for BRussell to show you his tattoo.

Nick

post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Just grumpy I suspect.

Ok Ok...I give in.

I have an 11" inch penis... 8)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › One Thing