or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Macworld: Apple reportedly working on "large-screen technologies"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Macworld: Apple reportedly working on "large-screen technologies"

post #1 of 83
Thread Starter 
Apple Computer may hold ambitions of taking its living room digital media strategy to the big screen -- literally.

According to a research note released by American Technology analyst Shaw Wu on Monday, the company is working on "large-screen" technologies within its development labs.

"We are not certain on timing but our analysis indicates that AAPL is beyond prototype on large-screen technologies (for a larger monitor or possibly Apple-branded HDTV)," the analyst told his clients.

Wu maintained his Buy rating on shares of Apple with a $99 price target, recommending that clients buy the stock on dips.
post #2 of 83
Gee, this sounds familiar.
post #3 of 83
It would be cool 'cause they could have the iTV built in
post #4 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Gee, this sounds familiar.

vague rehashing of old rumors familiar?
post #5 of 83
I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. I've been saying this for a while now.
post #6 of 83
I think Jobs sees reality... that TVs are just big monitors... so this makes sense.
iTV will have a cable receiver and Tivo-like software (if they don't just buy Tivo) and a hardrive.
...iTunes music plays on your 5.1 TV system, if you wish, and movies from your hard drive wirelessly.

The iMac may get an iTV update so college kids have just one screen!
It's all rather obvious that HDTV is just a computer monitor anyway.
But Jobs will keep it all Mac-centric - using iTunes to connect it all, as with the iPod/Nano/Shuffle.
The phone will be "a la carte" too... load into it what you need that day.
Keep it simple!
post #7 of 83
I sure hope we some larger 1920 x 1200 Cinema Displays; ViewSonic has announced a 28-incher for $879 with a plethora of inputs including HDMI.
post #8 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Gee, this sounds familiar.

Give that man a SANDWICH!!

post #9 of 83
Hehe, I was thinking cinema when I read this...
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
Reply
post #10 of 83
What was the address of that shop?

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #11 of 83
I still don't see the advantage of selling the big display themselves. The big screen market is pretty cut throat - unless they can come up with some wacky new display technology, or some way of undercutting everyone else, there's no real market to be had here.

OTOH, an add-on iTV box that works with any screen out there, *that* would be a big hit, IMO.

I mean, maybe they'll pull it off, but my nose says no.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #12 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I still don't see the advantage of selling the big display themselves. The big screen market is pretty cut throat - unless they can come up with some wacky new display technology, or some way of undercutting everyone else, there's no real market to be had here.

OTOH, an add-on iTV box that works with any screen out there, *that* would be a big hit, IMO.

I mean, maybe they'll pull it off, but my nose says no.

Solipsism found a relevant link in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Will Apple release a TV with built in media extender (iTV)?

If this new all-in-one HP TV & Vista media extender (note the Front Row-like interface) is any indication of things to come, then I'd say most definitely.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/h...nter-extender/

It looks pretty. I'd buy a 30+" LCD HDTV from Apple with iTV built in if it were vaguely sensibly priced (ie passes the WAF barrier).

Vinea
post #13 of 83
Adding an iSight to the TV would be interesting for video conferencing. That said, I already have a 42" HDTV and I suspect the wife will never allow me to purchase another TV again as long as she lives (which is likely to be longer than me).
-- Jason
Reply
-- Jason
Reply
post #14 of 83
It's hard to see the upside of Apple selling 'home appliances'. The market is saturated and margins are thin. It's always been Apple's philosophy that unless sufficient 'Appleness' can be added to make the product unique then they just won't bother...HOWEVER...
...what we are (probably) going to see tomorrow is the declaration of a new strategy that's been brewing for a while; essentially the push to become the new Sony. Diverging 'Appleness' throughout a whole range of home and portable media products without loosing (as Sony did) the core focus on design and ease of use. It's quite possibly one of those 'bet the company' moments that's required every now and then and undoubtedly a risky move. Accepting lower margins whilst investing greater amounts in R&D and maintaining core values is a bit of a change in culture and will require some experienced managers.
post #15 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


OTOH, an add-on iTV box that works with any screen out there, *that* would be a big hit, IMO.

I mean, maybe they'll pull it off, but my nose says no.

The iTV box works with ANY screen. They pulled that off already
post #16 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post

Adding an iSight to the TV would be interesting for video conferencing. That said, I already have a 42" HDTV and I suspect the wife will never allow me to purchase another TV again as long as she lives (which is likely to be longer than me).


 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #17 of 83
Well, at least this time, you didn't get it from me or Sandwich Man.

If Apple wants to compete in the LR, it has to go beyond what we've seen with iTV but I don't think it's essential to have an AIO set since an iTV can be used with any set. Apple could just offer a list of recommended flat panel sets. Of course, having an AIO HDTV would take the worry out of buying for lots of consumers.

Maybe that rumor I picked up on a year ago wasn't so bogus after all. It came from within Apple. It mentioned a 42" flat panel display with integrated Intel Viiv platform, Front Row 2.0, and a new remote. Sounds a lot like that HP thing mentioned above. It also sounds a lot like iTV except for the display.

I have no idea if Apple will indeed come out with an AIO HDTV but I'd be a happy buyer if it did. No telling when it'd come out, if ever.
post #18 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Solipsism found a relevant link in another thread:

It looks pretty. I'd buy a 30+" LCD HDTV from Apple with iTV built in if it were vaguely sensibly priced (ie passes the WAF barrier).

While that is a proof that *some* company will go for the gusto here, I don't see it as a strong indicator that *Apple* will. I mean, they *might*, but right now I think it's just wishful thinking.

After all, Dell sells cheapo stripped down boxes for a couple hundred bucks, but you don't see Apple doing it. Just because *a* company will produce the product, doesn't mean *Apple* will produce the product.

I dunno, I mean, if they can pull something out of their hat that makes it an OMG different beast, then yeah, they might go for it. But I don't see them doing it if they're going to be Just Another Company in that market. It's just not the Apple way of doing things.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #19 of 83
post #20 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Well, at least this time, you didn't get it from me or Sandwich Man.

Who's Sandwich Man?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Gee, this sounds familiar.

Exactly.. guess which two people will be having the last laugh.

Now please guys, the idea of a mock-up is that it should be done before the actual product is finished.. please someone make one, show us your skills. I've given instructions on what I think it will look like. Anyone fancy taken it on here?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #22 of 83
Jobs and Ives?
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #23 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

While that is a proof that *some* company will go for the gusto here, I don't see it as a strong indicator that *Apple* will. I mean, they *might*, but right now I think it's just wishful thinking.

After all, Dell sells cheapo stripped down boxes for a couple hundred bucks, but you don't see Apple doing it. Just because *a* company will produce the product, doesn't mean *Apple* will produce the product.

I dunno, I mean, if they can pull something out of their hat that makes it an OMG different beast, then yeah, they might go for it. But I don't see them doing it if they're going to be Just Another Company in that market. It's just not the Apple way of doing things.

The pro and con for Apple is that while MS has Dell/Gateway/HP to build MCE and MCXs Apple has to do it all itself. If Apple is making a play for the living room, and there's little reason to have an iTV otherwise, then if anyone is building a AIO then it has to be Apple.

The pro is that they control the entire ecosystem. The con is they have to build it themselves (at least this kind of integration). An Apple HDTV with iSight and iTV built in is a good thing for Apple to have in addition to standalone iSights and iTVs.

Given they have relationships with glass makers then building an Apple branded HDTV is no different than building Apple branded cinema displays. The reason to build a AIO HDTV with iTV built in is for the same reason they build monitors...to have the entire solution available.

Vinea
post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I still don't see the advantage of selling the big display themselves. The big screen market is pretty cut throat - unless they can come up with some wacky new display technology, or some way of undercutting everyone else, there's no real market to be had here.

OTOH, an add-on iTV box that works with any screen out there, *that* would be a big hit, IMO.

I mean, maybe they'll pull it off, but my nose says no.

Both the Times and the WSJ stated that wide screen hi def Tv's were one of the biggest selling categories of products, and that the numbers would continue to rise.

That's enough reason for Apple to sell at least one or two.

I'm always amazed at how people on forums think they are the average consumer. We aren't.

The time for a company to move to other product categories is when both it, as a brand, and the category, are hot. Both of those two prescriptions are true now.

When I buy my next hi def set, I would carefully consider an Apple branded model, if they had one that fit my needs, before other brands. I' know I'm not the only one, because I've asked others that question.

There are commodity brands, mid priced brands, and lines, and hi end brands, and lines. ALL are selling well.

There is no reason to assume that Apple couldn't pick one or more areas to sell into, and be successful.

The tens of millions of iPod users who are looking forward to a new set would certainly consider one. After we credit them for selling more Mac's, a MUCH more difficult decision to make. An Apple Tv would be simple. People switch brands all the time. After all, they are all compatible, not like the situation with computer platforms.

And what about those Mac owners who have spent $1,000 or more for a new computer? If they are happy with their purchase, you can be sure they would consider one as well.

People like to stick with brands they like. If they don't like them they will switch easily. Unless everyone is happy with their current models, moving to an Apple model, which they already perceive as being better, would not be such a difficult decision.
post #25 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The pro and con for Apple is that while MS has Dell/Gateway/HP to build MCE and MCXs Apple has to do it all itself. If Apple is making a play for the living room, and there's little reason to have an iTV otherwise, then if anyone is building a AIO then it has to be Apple.

The pro is that they control the entire ecosystem. The con is they have to build it themselves (at least this kind of integration). An Apple HDTV with iSight and iTV built in is a good thing for Apple to have in addition to standalone iSights and iTVs.

Given they have relationships with glass makers then building an Apple branded HDTV is no different than building Apple branded cinema displays. The reason to build a AIO HDTV with iTV built in is for the same reason they build monitors...to have the entire solution available.

Vinea

Hell, I can actually completely agree with you on this one.
post #26 of 83
What does this thread have to do with Macworld? Shouldn't it be "Wu: Apple reportedly..."
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Who's Sandwich Man?

Sandwich Man was a character in a story written by Jason O'Grady a year ago. Here's the story: Apple Plasma Displays to Rock MWSF
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I still don't see the advantage of selling the big display themselves. The big screen market is pretty cut throat - unless they can come up with some wacky new display technology, or some way of undercutting everyone else, there's no real market to be had here.

OTOH, an add-on iTV box that works with any screen out there, *that* would be a big hit, IMO.

I mean, maybe they'll pull it off, but my nose says no.

That's what I think. Current Apple displays aren't cheap enough compared to other LCDs to expect that a TV would be. If on the other hand they had access to some nice new technology like SED or Laser then that's a whole other ballgame but I highly doubt it.
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Both the Times and the WSJ stated that wide screen hi def Tv's were one of the biggest selling categories of products, and that the numbers would continue to rise.

That's enough reason for Apple to sell at least one or two.

The *only* thing I'd point out here, since I have no idea whether they will, or they won't, is that this same reasoning has been used to state why Apple *MUST* jump into the econobox computer market, ala Dell. After all, it's a best selling category, so that alone would be enough reason... but we know that's not true.

I dunno. They may come out with one that's the Lexus end of things, but then they risk the same "Apple is expensive!" perception problem they have with the Macs. It just seems... not exactly *wrong* to my gut, but at least unright.

My guess is still that the iTV will be an inexpensive (relatively) add-on box for the average consumer to plop into their existing home theatre system, and *extend* the Mac experience. It won't be a full computer, it'll be just a gateway to the computer they already have. If it's Windows, it'll offer iTunes (music and video) integration. If it's a Mac, it'll offer a lot more, including, hopefully, the VNC-ish feature you mentioned.

Tying it into a $$$ display, however... doesn't feel right.

Now, if they do that projection display idea I threw around a couple years ago...
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

What does this thread have to do with Macworld? Shouldn't it be "Wu: Apple reportedly..."

ha ha, totally. Unless it's a possibility it'll be announced tomorrow.

I really hope I'm not let down after this event like I was at "Showtime". People expect too much from Apple and just end up disappointed.
post #31 of 83
It's a 60" HD iPhone! I know it!
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
We were once so close to heaven
Peter came out and gave us medals
Declaring us the nicest of the damned -- They Might Be Giants          See the stars at skyviewcafe.com
Reply
post #32 of 83
I think the iPod, iPhone, and iTV and any other surprises prove that Apple is moving to the consumer digital electronics model and using Mac as it''s base but in time will NOT be it's biggest business.

Cheers
post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

The *only* thing I'd point out here, since I have no idea whether they will, or they won't, is that this same reasoning has been used to state why Apple *MUST* jump into the econobox computer market, ala Dell. After all, it's a best selling category, so that alone would be enough reason... but we know that's not true.

I dunno. They may come out with one that's the Lexus end of things, but then they risk the same "Apple is expensive!" perception problem they have with the Macs. It just seems... not exactly *wrong* to my gut, but at least unright.

My guess is still that the iTV will be an inexpensive (relatively) add-on box for the average consumer to plop into their existing home theatre system, and *extend* the Mac experience. It won't be a full computer, it'll be just a gateway to the computer they already have. If it's Windows, it'll offer iTunes (music and video) integration. If it's a Mac, it'll offer a lot more, including, hopefully, the VNC-ish feature you mentioned.

Tying it into a $$$ display, however... doesn't feel right.

I don't see a problem with Apple coming out with "Lexus" pricing. It's what people expect, after all.

Companies have a history of first coming out with a premium product line. Once that line is established, and the agreement is that it is indeed premium, they then move to the next lower level, using the same branding. Then they move it still lower.

People will always associate the brand with the premium product line, and eye the less expensive versions as being of the same quality. Lexus itself has gone that way, as has Mercedes, and BMW.

It's more difficult to move the other way, as numerous brands have discovered. Cheap is going to be perceived as cheap for a long time.
post #34 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't see a problem with Apple coming out with "Lexus" pricing. It's what people expect, after all.

I still don't see how this translates to Apple entering the high-end home display market, but... whatevva. I'm still perfectly willing to be surprised on this one.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #35 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Exactly.. guess which two people will be having the last laugh.

who??

//AAPL is beyond prototype on large-screen technologies (for a larger monitor or possibly Apple-branded HDTV),"//

well, there you go, if true, i was wrong, but i said as much elsewhere.

still, im not going to run out and replace my 50" with a 47" am i?
post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datadawn View Post

I think Jobs sees reality... that TVs are just big monitors... so this makes sense.
...

No, they're not. A 23" Apple Cinema Display can display a 1920 x 1080 HD image at full resolution with room to spare. A 30" ACD can display four (4) 1280 x 720 HD images at full resolution simultaneously with room to space. These is a feat which no HD monitor in this size category can match. As a computer monitor, the best consumer HDTV is a poor substitute. As TV sets, Apple Cinema Displays are at once too expensive and too small.

Several posters have already said this, but it bears repeating. Apple's entry into the TV market makes no economic sense. The price of flat panel displays is dropping like a stone. A lot of them are being sold, but the supply continues to outstrip demand by a wide margin. In addition to the usual consumer electronic stories, I can now walk into Wal-Mart, Office Depot, or CompUSA and walk out with an integrated LCD HDTV for about $600. I can get a 42" plasma screen integrated HDTV for about $1300. This represents a substantial drop from just 6 months ago.

The likes of Dell and HP entered this market because they have already saturated their primary customer base. They needed markets to expand into. OTOH, Apple's primary customer base is expanding. Entering the TV market is a desparate move that it does not need.
post #37 of 83
I don't see why Apple has to make big screen displays. Let the TV people do it! All Apple has to do is make things that shoot video out an HDMI port, then let us hook it to our TVs and stereos, no?

Mike from myallo.com
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

"I still don't see the advantage of selling the big display themselves. The big screen market is pretty cut throat - unless they can come up with some wacky new display technology, or some way of undercutting everyone else, there's no real market to be had here."

Both the Times and the WSJ stated that wide screen hi def Tv's were one of the biggest selling categories of products, and that the numbers would continue to rise.

That's enough reason for Apple to sell at least one or two.

Note that you just state the wide screen hi-defs a big sellers. The original quote is talking 'big screen' market. They aren't mutually inclusive. The sub-$1000 20-30" wide screens are extremely popular. But I don't know who'd call those 'Big-screen'.

Of course, for a company that espoused years ago about "the year of HD", you'd think they would've had ONE monitor that was HDTV compatible (i.e. HDMI port, or component video port, or something that would allow you to view HD content).
post #39 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Note that you just state the wide screen hi-defs a big sellers. The original quote is talking 'big screen' market. They aren't mutually inclusive. The sub-$1000 20-30" wide screens are extremely popular. But I don't know who'd call those 'Big-screen'.

Of course, for a company that espoused years ago about "the year of HD", you'd think they would've had ONE monitor that was HDTV compatible (i.e. HDMI port, or component video port, or something that would allow you to view HD content).

They do. The computer. I don't think Apple is interested in people using their displays as a TV.
post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepton View Post

I don't see why Apple has to make big screen displays. Let the TV people do it! All Apple has to do is make things that shoot video out an HDMI port, then let us hook it to our TVs and stereos, no?

Mike from myallo.com

I think perhaps iTV is a tad too close to the AirPort Express which didn't exactly set the world on fire. A HDTV with iTV intergrated into it coupled with iTunes has a more iPodish potential. Not that Apple is going to corner the market on HDTVs but in terms of capturing mindshare a HDTV that only needs to be plugged into the power outlet that can do HD wirelessly has a level of panache that the rest of the market doesn't currently enjoy.

Vinea
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Macworld: Apple reportedly working on "large-screen technologies"