or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Macworld: Activist plan 'dramatic' greening of Apple Store SF at 6:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Macworld: Activist plan 'dramatic' greening of Apple Store SF at 6:00pm

post #1 of 162
Thread Starter 
Greenpeace, a group of activist lobbying for more environmental friendly manufacturing processes amongst electronics makers, is planning to 'green the Apple Store San Francisco' this evening at 6:00pm local time.

The organization has been on Apple's case for months, challenging the company and several other top electronics makers to use clean components in all of their products and to provide a free take-back program to reuse and recycle those products wherever they are sold.

Greenpeace in August issued a report which gave the iPod maker a 2.7 out of 10 environmental-friendly rating, awarding it low scores in almost all criteria, including the use of toxic chemicals, recycling, and the quality of its take-back programs.

During a press conference on Monday, representatives for the group said they plan to be outside this week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco, handing out flyers that present their views on Apple's environmental savviness -- or lack there of -- to conference attendees.

Although Greenpeace had wished to be amongst the paid exhibitors at Macworld, their requests to do so were repeatedly denied by show organizer IDG (apparently under the influence of Apple).

The blacklisting follows a controversial exhibition by the organization during the October Mac Expo in London, which drew several complaints from Apple and ultimately resulted the group being ejected from the show.

Greenpeace's Rick Hind speaks to journalists during a press conference on Monday.

Unwilling to relent in its campaign, Greenpeace later 'greened' Apple's flagship store on Fifth Avenue New York City, shining green spotlights into the location's 32-foot glass cube in protest.

Rick Hind, Legislative Director of Greenpeace USA's Toxics campaign, said the group is organizing a similar demonstration at 6:00pm pacific time today outside Apple's flagship store in San Francisco at 1 Stockton Street.

"We used green floodlights on the New York City store -- that was a symbolic screening," Hind said during Monday's press conference. He added that this evening's demonstration would "be different, and probably more dramatic."

Greenpeace activists demonstrate with "green" light at the 5th Avenue Apple store in Manhattan.

Greenpeace said its GreenMyApple.org website has been the highest trafficked website in the organization's history, attracting about half a million users thus far.

Although Greenpeace admits placing Apple under more scrutiny than any other electronics manufacturer, it says it is doing so because the company is seen as the "signature innovative company" in today's market.

If Apple does not lead the charge to go green, the organization argues, the rest of the industry will be reluctant to follow.
post #2 of 162
Greenpeace, piss off!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 162
I care about the enviroment and all, but Greenpeace is a mob of lunatics.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
Reply
post #4 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Greenpeace, piss off!

I'll deliver your message Personally

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #5 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I'll deliver your message Personally

Sebastian

Thank you.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Thank you.

Welcome

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #7 of 162
Apple's notebooks are the most environmentally friendly according to a recent EPA study...

Read about how Apple's laptops made the top grade at the EPA here: http://arstechnica.com//journals/app.../2007/1/6/6507
post #8 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I care about the enviroment and all, but Greenpeace is a mob of lunatics.

-Clive

Totally agree with ya there.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #9 of 162
I just remembered, I think my Algebra Teacher is part of Greenpeace... I saw a Greenpeace sticker on the classroom door anyways....

My Mum had me stay home because we were having a repairman come in to fix the whole in the wall that had been there for a couple of weeks since someone upstairs clogged the pipes for 4 apartments.

This is an oppurutnity not to be resisted... Just as long as no one is questioning me

Sebastian

EDIT
I just found this on their site
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #10 of 162
Everybody hates you, so just go away!

I love the environment, I care about the environment, but Greenpeace's tactics are just too extreme and cultic.

I don't remember seeing them doing this to Microsoft or Sony... what's their deal?

I would bring a nice cream pie to MacWorld and throw in the face to the first Greenpeace person that gave me a green paper. I suggest everyone attending MacWorld to bring a cream pie and throw in their faces.

Ok, i'm being dramatic but they said they were going to be more dramatic too, so there!
post #11 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

I care about the enviroment and all, but Greenpeace is a mob of lunatics.

-Clive

I totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Greenpeace, piss off!

Well said!
post #12 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I would bring a nice cream pie to MacWorld and throw in the face to the first Greenpeace person that gave me a green paper. I suggest everyone attending MacWorld to bring a cream pie and throw in their faces.

Ok, i'm being dramatic but they said they were going to be more dramatic too, so there!

I'd recommend against doing that... constitutes assault. Just express yourself verbally, they can't take away your freedom of speech... can they? \

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

Everybody hates you, so just go away!
I would bring a nice cream pie to MacWorld and throw in the face to the first Greenpeace person that gave me a green paper. I suggest everyone attending MacWorld to bring a cream pie and throw in their faces.

That would just be spending money for an unworthy cause!
post #14 of 162
Greenies doing something more dramatic? Like heaving cans of green paint on the store? Somehow I think Apple will ensure there are sufficient police in the area to cuff anyone attempting (or doing) that. Of course it will be biodegradable paint . . .
Ken
Reply
Ken
Reply
post #15 of 162
Although Apple are being scape-goated, something needs to be done globally about the environment. Picking on a 'trendy' company especially one so concerned about its image may result in an effective campaign for Greenpeace. The way they are going about it is less than desirable but their concerns are quite valid.
post #16 of 162
Greenpeace is just singling out Apple and picking on them in a sensationalist way because doing so gets a lot of attention for their cause. (And not just negative forum comments, but actual traffic to their sites.) In short, Greenpeace is smart to do this. They are NOT smart when they use rhetoric in place of actual facts. Wait a minute--the public laps up rhetoric in place of actual facts. OK, so Greenpeace IS being pretty smart!

So I'll ask myself what harm they are doing, vs. what good they are doing.

The harm:
They are hurting the feelings of people (like me) who tend to be loyal to the Apple brand. (But they are not actually threatening Apple's business or future.) They are being annoying to some people (like me). In addition they make people think about things that people would rather ignore (human nature). Nobody enjoys that.

The good:
They actually do accelerate some changes that help all of us... and hurt nobody. These are not minor issues, much as we'd like to ignore them--they really are vital and real issues. Apple may not be a huge offender, but generating Apple-related hype helps with issues that go beyond Apple. What Greenpeace is doing is an effective tool for good. It could be even MORE effective--and less annoying--and I wish they'd change some of their practices (like the way they oversimplify their facts--just like world leaders do). But that doesn't change the fact that their efforts are a whole lot better than nothing, and benefit us all.

Apple and other companies HAVE improved, and they DO need to improve much more, and public pressure/bad publicity DOES help make that happen.

So I've decided I can tolerate the harm Greenpeace does, find a way to keep in living in spite of the pain they cause me... and still benefit from the results they bring

And I can also hope people keep criticizing them. They need it. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that Greenpeace only does harm, and that corporations never do any. Greenpeace does do some good, and if environmental problems annoy people, that doesn't make them less real, and vital to fix.
post #17 of 162
I'm still trying to figure out if I want to show up or not. It might be fun, but I think I'll at least go check it out for a good laugh or something...

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #18 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Greenpeace is just singling out Apple and picking on them in a sensationalist way because doing so gets a lot of attention for their cause. (And not just negative forum comments, but actual traffic to their sites.) In short, Greenpeace is smart to do this. They are NOT smart when they use rhetoric in place of actual facts. Wait a minute--the public laps up rhetoric in place of actual facts. OK, so Greenpeace IS being pretty smart!

So I'll ask myself what harm they are doing, vs. what good they are doing.

The harm:
They are hurting the feelings of people (like me) who tend to be loyal to the Apple brand. (But they are not actually threatening Apple's business or future.) They are being annoying to some people (like me). In addition they make people think about things that people would rather ignore (human nature). Nobody enjoys that.

The good:
They actually do accelerate some changes that help all of us... and hurt nobody. These are not minor issues, much as we'd like to ignore them--they really are vital and real issues. Apple may not be a huge offender, but generating Apple-related hype helps with issues that go beyond Apple. What Greenpeace is doing is an effective tool for good. It could be even MORE effective--and less annoying--and I wish they'd change some of their practices (like the way the oversimplify their facts--just like world leaders do). But that doesn't change the fact they their efforts are a whole lot better than nothing, and benefit us all.

So I've decided I can tolerate the harm they do, find a way to keep in living in spite of the pain they cause me... and still benefit from the results they bring

And I can also hope people keep criticizing them. They need it. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that Greenpeace only does harm, and that corporations never do any. Greenpeace does do some good.

well said. you all have to look at the bigger picture here. people have been glassing over environmental problems for way to long. sometimes it takes action to get reactions and change. they singled out apple for obvious reasons, people pay attention to them. how they innovate and change things can effect us all. we love their computers and software and the way they think and do things. getting them to step up and be a leader with the environment in mind is a good thing. it really is. yes some of their tactics can be heavy handed, but since most people don't pay attention to whats going on in the world around them, they need to make sure people take notice.
post #19 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Although Greenpeace admits placing Apple under more scrutiny than any other electronics manufacturer, it says it is doing so because the company is seen as the "signature innovative company" in today's market.

That sentence says it all, folks.

It's just because Apple is so popular (with the popularity of the iPod and the prettifulness of the Mac) that they are being targeted. The only reason this is being done is so that these people can get some press attention. What a bunch of losers......ahem, loonies.

Greenpeace, we get your message. Now back off and be reasonable. Please. Go look at someone else. If you want to be civil and actually talk with Apple, then do that. If you just want to complain for the sake of complaining, then piss the hell off.
post #20 of 162
Thank goodness I just changed the motor oil in my car today. As a tribute to GreenPeace, I will pour this oil in the little creek that runs behind my house.

Everytime GreenPeace does some unsubstantial Stunt against Apple, I will do some Substantial harm to the environment.

Ban me for heresy, I don't care, the motor oil will still be in the water!
post #21 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to show up or not. It might be fun, but I think I'll at least go check it out for a good laugh or something...

How about a counter protest?

What slogan should we have to protest Greenpeas protesting Apple?
post #22 of 162
Since when does apple make Pink keyboards?

-Owl
post #23 of 162
Oh God - Can't you guys see what GP is doing??? I'm all for Apple but it's not just about Apple- it's about raising awareness that something needs to be done. You're all talking from comfy homes with central heating and everything you need. Try living in slums with old computer components surrounding you dumped there. If any of you actually read the site rather making presumptions about them causing some sort of mass hysteria you would realise this (in fact they appear to be Apple fans!). I'm not going to write off an opinion- as someone said previously we all have a right to free speech- In America you've got the first Amendment- what's you're problem with people voicing it? At the end of the day Apple has an awful lot of responsibility on their backs, they are an 'innovative' company- which means they are always one step ahead of the game- if Apple are, as they say, using toxic materials and such, there are ways around doing so- and with designers as good as they employ they have a responsibility to be one step ahead environmentally too. It's not a question of taking sides- it's a question of weighing the views- Apple would be an all together more favourable company if they used materials that were more environmentally friendly- plus it would be at the cost of no-one to do so. Although I can understand people taking sides with Apple, as I myself have done so for years- is it not time they took the lead in something else?

Just throwing it out there for the taking :P
post #24 of 162


small steps..
post #25 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to show up or not. It might be fun, but I think I'll at least go check it out for a good laugh or something...

Sebastian

Dress casual. Bring riot gear.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #26 of 162
i never understand why they don't do something more important! Why don't they go and do something like change us from gas to hydrogen!!!There MUST be something more important for them to do

Don't get me wrong, I love the environment, I want hydrogen now, less pollution, etc. But Greenpeace does all these random things that DON'T help!!!
What about the Indian ship graveyards, the marshes just outside of New Orleans, and all those other things that we're killing with our pollution.

Greenpeace is a rogue group just under the guise of saving the earth from pollution...they just say that so they can do whatever they want without people stopping them...

Also, if Dell recycles 80% of their computers, and Apple recycles only 30%, Dell is still not recycling many times more stuff than Apple
post #27 of 162
I give a lot of money to environment causes and things of this ilk, but this infuriates and is a perfect example of the problem with liberal causes.

Yes, Apple is not perfect. (Although the EPA pronouncement today has to put some rain on this parade.) But on the whole, as a company, they try.

Picking on Apple reminds me of those liberal causes that pick on Whole Foods. These people are never satisfied, get into debates as to what "organic" means, when Whole Foods--while certainly not perfect--is TRYING to do better providing healthy food and local providers. Yet, there are no protests against the massive chemical "food factories" etc. They pick on Whole Foods because, just like Apple, they are an icon.

The problem is it rewards the wrong behavior. "Bad" companies use it as rationale to do nothing. 'Hey, look at those guys. They are spending more money and trying, and they get protests. Might as well do nothing, make more money, and get the same amount of bad pr--and in most chances, less bad pr since we are not an icon.

All of these groups admit Apple does better than most. But they are using the Apple brand to advance their cause in a manner which is harmful to Apple.

No good comes from this.
post #28 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

How about a counter protest?

What slogan should we have to protest Greenpeas protesting Apple?

Hmm a Slogan.
Personally I'd like to turn them Black and Blue

I was never good with Slogans though
Let's turn their Parade of Green Yellow

My plans go like this:
Find out everything I can about Greenpeace's Anti Apple Movement and Apple's Environmental Standards and the actual Regulations, and Pick out a couple of PC companies and prepare a counterargument in the span of an hour and a half, I'll really only have an Hour though.

Go down there at 6 and laugh until I'm Green in the Face
If there is already an Anti Greenpeace argument, Join in on the fun
If an argument should arise, present my counter argument (with a bit of help, I'm no good at speeches because I have a very slow voice and forget what I am about to say half the time)

Then I will spend the next 3 days monitoring their every move outside of Macworld after school, they may be booted before I get the chance though.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #29 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCrazy View Post

Although Apple are being scape-goated, something needs to be done globally about the environment. Picking on a 'trendy' company especially one so concerned about its image may result in an effective campaign for Greenpeace. The way they are going about it is less than desirable but their concerns are quite valid.

I agree with this statement.

I will admit that I have admired Greenpeace in the past for having the guts to stand up and *try* to get the world to recognize key environmental problems. Just think of the positive work they did to stop nuclear testing (think about the challenge of floating your boat into a nuclear test area to prove your point). I think organizations like this are needed to keep the corrupt honest. Think about it...with NO environmental protection, corporations would throw the worst chemicals imaginable at you just to make a buck.

It does seem true that they are focused on Apple in this case because it will generate the most publicity. More publicity, even bad publicity, is not bad for Apple either because it gets their brand name out there. Apple shouldn't have kicked them out of MacWorld London (unless they were completely belligerent). They should just continue to work on their environmental programs and policy, offer proof of this, and pledge to cooperate and work better. But more controversy is more publicity.

I also hope Greenpeace is willing to stand up to scrutiny. Shining green lights on a building, for example. Are these solar-powered lights? If not, why not?

Ultimately, it will be true that targeting the source of toxic products versus physically cleaning them out of our landfills will be better in the long run. But at some point, someone does need to go on garbage detail and clean up the mess we have made.

I'd rather have clean water to drink than a fancy new iPod.


James
post #30 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJ View Post

Oh God - Can't you guys see what GP is doing??? I'm all for Apple but it's not just about Apple- it's about raising awareness that something needs to be done. You're all talking from comfy homes with central heating and everything you need. Try living in slums with old computer components surrounding you dumped there. If any of you actually read the site rather making presumptions about them causing some sort of mass hysteria you would realise this (in fact they appear to be Apple fans!). I'm not going to write off an opinion- as someone said previously we all have a right to free speech- In America you've got the first Amendment- what's you're problem with people voicing it? At the end of the day Apple has an awful lot of responsibility on their backs, they are an 'innovative' company- which means they are always one step ahead of the game- if Apple are, as they say, using toxic materials and such, there are ways around doing so- and with designers as good as they employ they have a responsibility to be one step ahead environmentally too. It's not a question of taking sides- it's a question of weighing the views- Apple would be an all together more favourable company if they used materials that were more environmentally friendly- plus it would be at the cost of no-one to do so. Although I can understand people taking sides with Apple, as I myself have done so for years- is it not time they took the lead in something else?

Just throwing it out there for the taking :P

Citizens should apply the pressure to companies they find breaking the law or polluting excessively. I'm sure plenty of GP'ers would like for consumers to not consume anything at all, but there we are. Picking on Apple might get them attention, but they're barking up the wrong tree.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #31 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Dress casual. Bring riot gear.

Unfortunately I don't live in a barn and don't have access to Pitchforks or Torches

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #32 of 162
If they do what they say they're going to do - stand around outside the store handing out fliers - great. Let them.

But if they do what protesters usually do - resort to vandalism and violence - then I hope they get arrested and spend years in prison.
post #33 of 162
this thread shows that what greenpeace is attempting to do is working. they've even got the fanboys talking about greeing their apple.
post #34 of 162
Huh? How is flashing green flashlights into a transparent cube going to help the environment? Somebody tell me.
post #35 of 162
Why are you people so adverse to what green peace is trying to achieve? Yeah, we may have our sexy macs now, but give it 50 years and it'll be a different world and we need to do something now, either way, what harm does being more environmentally responsible do, none, but it inevitably cleans up the environment, which benefits every single one of us.

I can just see all you guys saying you'd 'beat up greenpeace', probably either frail geeks who don't leave the house or fat, rich out of touch business people, wake up to what's around you, the world isn't your own private sanctuary.

Greenpeace, you are true heros, much more than those who do fu*k all from their armchairs/computer desks.
post #36 of 162


Here's my problem with Greenpeace and attacking techonlogy, they wouldn't stop until we all go back to living in caves, wearing animal skins, and foraging for food!

So that no matter what Apple does in terms of the environment and their products, Greenpeace will be Apple bashing as long as Apple has a high public profile.

Now I must be off in my inflatable boat to terrorize humankind!

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #37 of 162
It's probably better to just support WWF.
post #38 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Huh? How is flashing green flashlights into a transparent cube going to help the environment? Somebody tell me.

I hope they had energy saving bulbs in those floodlights.
post #39 of 162
My uncle is in the EPA and his dad, my grandfather was poisoned and killed from toxic chemicals used in GE manufacturing plants, my family has never bought a GE appliance since, anyway my uncle hates greenpeace and believes that they only get people to mock and halt environmental efforts that actually help, unlike most of greenpeace demands. I mean come on, if he hates greenpeace there has to be something wrong there. Im just worried that some people will actually not buy an apple product and buy from another company because of these tree huggers in front of the store. Anyone whos informed about greenpeace will not care at all but most people aren't informed... Anyone think apple will do anything to counter these protests (not by changing any policies)?
post #40 of 162
Me and my third arm bud could care less.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Macworld: Activist plan 'dramatic' greening of Apple Store SF at 6:00pm