or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Iphoto - why so slow?

Iphoto - why so slow?

post #1 of 13
I have recently purchased the new intel core duo 2.0 GHz Imac with 1.0 gb memory and have started to put all my digital photos into Iphoto and add keywords to them. The other day my library hit the 7500 mark and nearly all photos have 2-4 keywords linked to it. I've been noticing recently that when Iphoto is open and I try to open another program, like Firefox, the computer runs really really slow. Why is it running so slow?? Is it just because the number of photos I have in Iphoto? Is there anything I can do to make it run faster??

Thanks!
post #2 of 13
I think it is the photos. I only have 140 in mine, so it is fine with 512.

Although it might just be a glitch.
post #3 of 13
Time for Picasa for the Mac.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbenyo View Post

I have recently purchased the new intel core duo 2.0 GHz Imac with 1.0 gb memory and have started to put all my digital photos into Iphoto and add keywords to them. The other day my library hit the 7500 mark and nearly all photos have 2-4 keywords linked to it. I've been noticing recently that when Iphoto is open and I try to open another program, like Firefox, the computer runs really really slow. Why is it running so slow?? Is it just because the number of photos I have in Iphoto? Is there anything I can do to make it run faster??

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to do it, but there's a key combination you can press on start up of iPhoto, and when you do it you get a few opions, one of which is to rebuild. I think you choose rebuild. When done iPhoto is back to its snappy self. It works but I'm not sure how to do it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #5 of 13
I've got 10k+ photos in my library and it's running smooth as buttah. iPhoto even whips open in 1 second flat.
post #6 of 13
My theory is that it chokes on keywords. I cannot import more than a hundred photos at a time, because many of them contain dozens of keywords. I've even used 3rd-party apps to remove the keywords and they choked on them as well.
post #7 of 13
I cannot explain what you're seeing, but I've got 12k photos in my iPhoto library and the performance was quite acceptable even on my 1GHz iBook. I have keywords and descriptions on many photos but definitely not all.

Have you tried rebuilding your library?
post #8 of 13
Launch iPhoto holding down apple + alt. You get some options.
post #9 of 13
I was actually stunned to see that the Iphoto 6 app uses well over 500 Mb of space. This is a bit much for what is (if I'm being a wee bit harsh) an image viewer.
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we...
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is mearly energy condensed through a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, life is only a dream and we...
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpyspider View Post

I was actually stunned to see that the Iphoto 6 app uses well over 500 Mb of space. This is a bit much for what is (if I'm being a wee bit harsh) an image viewer.

These are mostly all the resources for the books, cards and calendars.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
I'm a Computer Geek. If I'm not here I'm either sleeping or I died.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Launch iPhoto holding down apple + alt. You get some options.

That's it, thanks. Is says you should back up when you do this, but I personally don't.
Worked perfectly for me; As iPhoto app launches hold down "Apple + alt", check "Rebuild the photos' small thumbnails." & Rebuild iPhoto Library database", perfect.
post #12 of 13
What is an orphaned photo?
Shit Happens
Shit Happens
post #13 of 13
I would assume it is a photo that exists in the library but doesn't belong to a roll. My understanding is that a "Roll" is created within iPhoto each time an import takes place.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Iphoto - why so slow?