or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device

Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device - Page 9

post #321 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This guy think that the iPhone wil fail miserably due to it's high cost and contract with Cingular. He does some sense, but I have a feeling that Apple is much smarter than s/he is.

http://eminent-truth.blogspot.com/20...s-by-2009.html

Contracts are NO GOOD! who ever may be the service provider is

most of the wireless providers are tied us with (contracts) BAD SERVICE NOT with SERVICE

please press 1 to reply to this post
please press 2 to ignore this post

hehehe

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #322 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Wow.

This is what Apple initially wanted to Newton to be.

Remember, this was just a demo of a prototype. Not all features were shown.

I expect that Apple and 3rd party developers will create a LOT of widgets for the iPhone.

GPS
Handwriting / notetaking
Voice recording
Games
iChat functionality (AIM, Yahoo IM, etc)
Video conferencing (although, repositioning of the camera would be required)
Ability to connect to your computer for internet access through the phone
Office, or an Office clone (similar to Documents 2 Go on Palm)
Video recording

Can you get it inscribed when you order from the Apple Store?

I'm suprised they did not show the Calendar and To Do functions. This is the Killer-app on my Treo. I'd be lost without it.

Someone brought up lack of IR, so it cannot be used as a remote. At first I thought that was a pretty gay suggestion, but now I think if anyone could solve the problem of TOO MANY REMOTES, it's Apple.

Not sure why everyone is whining about screen smudges. I NEVER clean the screen of my Treo, and when it's ON it looks perfect. You only see the smudges when the screen is off. I'm also rought on it, and carry it in the same pocket with keys, etc, and the screen holds up remarkably well against scratches. I'm sure the iPhone will, too.

I doubt we'll see a hard-drive version. But the memory will eventually increase.

Why do so many people want 2 batteries?

I think the price is right. Costs less than my Treo 650 did when new.

The iPhone will change the world.

BTW: new iPods sporting the same design as the iPhone will appear soon.

i agree. there's no way that this is the final product. it has six months before it's even on the market, and it's APPLE! correct me if i'm wrong, but in roughly 10 months they went from clickwheel ipod to ipod photo to ipod color to ipod video. not to mention at the same time, ipod mini - ipod mini upgrade - ipod nano. at the same time, they were rewriting all of os x for intel computers, updating their computer line, and much more that we don't even know about. so.. six more months of development is my guess.
post #323 of 437
but do not announce it on WWDC! we like to some new Macs atleast @ WWDC 07 (too early for discussion hehehe)

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #324 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

but do not announce it on WWDC! we like to some new Macs atleast @ WWDC 07 (too early for discussion hehehe)

Fear not. Apple will release new Macs long before that.

I'm guessing that in 2 to 4 weeks they will hold an event to announce Q1 2007 earning, updated Macs, and introduce more features & a release date with Leopard.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #325 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateRegistering

I expect that Apple and 3rd party developers will create a LOT of widgets for the iPhone.

So far, the official word is that NO 3rd-party apps allowed. I think this will change as soon as they have a version of Xcode that is optimized for creating and compiling (non-PPC or Intel CPU) programs for the iPhone's advanced interface.

Quote:

Office, or an Office clone (similar to Documents 2 Go on Palm)
Video recording.

You can always use Google Docs and Spreadsheets, assuming you are connected to the internet. TextEdit should come standard, hopefully.

Quote:

Can you get it inscribed when you order from the Apple Store?

I hadn't thought of that. For $500 - $600 I expect Jobs to do the actuall encoding.

Quote:

Someone brought up lack of IR, so it cannot be used as a remote.

I'm glad they didn't add this feature. It already has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so i hope I can eventually use my iPhone to control my AppleTV.

Quote:

Why do so many people want 2 batteries?

One for phone functionality and one for other non-essential stuff like video and music. This way, even if you deplete your media battery, you still have juice left to power the phone. I think the logic here is that if the phone battery dies first it would then pull from the media battery.

Delving even deeper, Apple doesn't have to go to that much trouble. Instead, all it has to do is use its power management too disallow the media functions when the battery gets to a certain percentage.

Quote:

The iPhone will change the world.

I think it already has. The one feature I think is sweet is the Random Access Voicemail. SMS and eMail have had these features for years. It seems so obvoious in retrospect. I wonder how long it'll before the other carriers and manufactures can get together to implement this system. I imagine that this was definitely something they want to include. Will they be able to pull if off?
post #326 of 437
Quote:

The current 4GB ($199) and 8GB ($249) NAND based, iPod Nanos have only a $50 difference, while the 4GB ($499) and 8GB ($599) iPhone a $100 apart.

- Are there $50 worth of extra features for the 8GB model?
- Is this the result of less subsidization percentage by Cingular?
- Something else?

thats not exactly how retail works. you don't just tack on the extra $50 cos the part cost $50 more, there is a % mark up for everything at retail, like 30% so something. its how they make money.
post #327 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesh View Post

GPS is built-in, as Steve demoed.

I think you're wrong on this one. Steve demoed maps, but I didn't see anything that suggested GPS.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #328 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think you're wrong on this one. Steve demoed maps, but I didn't see anything that suggested GPS.

You are correct. He clicked on the Moscone Center from a list of favorites and it went to that location.
post #329 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

My thoughts, exactly.

Not if they have to make changes.

And Both jobs and Pogue said that it wasn't finished, with placeholders for icons (For what? They didn't say.).
post #330 of 437
He did say it knows where you are. Maybe it's some kind of triangulation
5-8" MultiTouch Mini Tablet would go down a treat if you're reading!
post #331 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

how much is the price difference (for the handset) on the market and from service providers like Cingular and t-mobile? $50 to $150???

I will get one without contract and used in my t-mobile, 2 contracts are useless and tied with one service provider ...

i think only in US wireless providers are so difficult, in other countries you can get service (phone line) without contract and of course no phone...

i took a one year (minimum) for no reason with t-mobile (i did not wanted the cheapo phone they are giving for 2 year contract) ... and used my previous Moto Slvr GSM phone

cingular "MAY" invested in the project "iPhone" so may be preferred partner

wireless providers they have any connection with senators???

i hope i will get the iPhone from apple store and service from apple store sooner or later

time to give up that CDMA, CDMA is it not old technology?

On average, the difference is $60 to $80. But high end phones are given much more.
post #332 of 437
Quote:

So far, the official word is that NO 3rd-party apps allowed. I think this will change as soon as they have a version of Xcode that is optimized for creating and compiling (non-PPC or Intel CPU) programs for the iPhone's advanced interface.

Official word? From whom?
post #333 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_flashman View Post

thats not exactly how retail works. you don't just tack on the extra $50 cos the part cost $50 more, there is a % mark up for everything at retail, like 30% so something. its how they make money.

If the part costs $10, then the increase to the device will be between $20 and $40.

It depends on what it is, and how it will be installed.
post #334 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He SAID it had GPS. All cellphones have AGPS in the US, at least.

But, so far, we don't know what it refers to exactly. We've been having discussions about this all over the threads here.
post #335 of 437
iTunes is also a great place to buy extra services/Cool Mini Apps. I want iWork/iLife Lite, WiFi or Bluetooth Remote Control App for my Mac and Apple TV and some kind of Optical Charcater Recognition app for document scanning and automatic output as PDF etc... That should just about keep me oocupied for the next 5 years!
post #336 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

still no comments on appleworks or text edit? Does no one else want this

Sorry, I thought you were joking.
post #337 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

He SAID it had GPS. All cellphones have AGPS in the US, at least.

You know Mel, saying those two things over and over aren't going to make them true. So far you have provided no evidence that either of these things are true.

For the first point, if Jobs said it, please provide the time stamp for the time at which he said it during the keynote.

For the second, you seem to assume that because of the E-911 regs, all phones have AGPS. But as others have pointed out several times, a mobile can triangulate its position using network basestations to an accuracy that meets the E-911 regs. Triangulation using basestations is not AGPS. If you've got some concrete evidence that all US phones have AGPS, please provide it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #338 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

He did say it knows where you are. Maybe it's some kind of triangulation

Maybe it's another pairing that they are doing with Cingular, like with RAV.
Fact: Each cell tower is in a fixed location (obviously).
Fact: Each call transmits the tower ID that is picking up your signal.
Fact: This is already available to 911 Emergency

I imagine this is how it could be done:
  1. Access Google Maps
  2. Choose the "Find Current Location" option
  3. iPhone sends request to Cingular's servers (like checking your VM)
  4. Cingular grabs the originating Tower ID from the metadata
  5. Server looks up address of Tower ID in database
  6. Server respond with coordinates
  7. iPhone auto-inputs data into Google Maps
  8. Google Maps loads location
post #339 of 437
THis may have already been discussed but does anybody know if you can add apps to the iPhone? Like for instance, a PDA app,
post #340 of 437
Quote:

Official word? From whom?

Apple employees int he sit down that happened today. Sure, I have no proof they know what they are talking about and that the people relaying the info are being truthful, but for me it's god enough. Especially since Jobs didn't tout it as a feature to the 4000 geekanoids yesterday.
post #341 of 437
Quote:

Maybe it's another pairing that they are doing with Cingular, like with RAV.
Fact: Each cell tower is in a fixed location (obviously).
Fact: Each call transmits the tower ID that is picking up your signal.
Fact: This is already available to 911 Emergency

I imagine this is how it could be done:
  1. Access Google Maps
  2. Choose the "Find Current Location" option
  3. iPhone sends request to Cingular's servers (like checking your VM)
  4. Cingular grabs the originating Tower ID from the metadata
  5. Server looks up address of Tower ID in database
  6. Server respond with coordinates
  7. iPhone auto-inputs data into Google Maps
  8. Google Maps loads location

Yeah that definately sounds like a possibility. I'd also like to say at this point that I think Cingular deserve a little more credit for their involvement. People keep complaining about their service but It sounds lie they've really pushed their teams for this project and adapted their infrastructure to allow Apple to realize their vision. It will never suit everyones taste but there you go
post #342 of 437
Quote:
I came across this interesting read on the developement of the iPhone.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/10/comm...ion=2007011009

Secrecy with this project was paramount and cingular played ball so to speak. Perhaps T Mobile was unwilling to do so. Cingular bought into the iPhone without ever seeing a demo of it till the very end. I think it was a couple of weeks before the keynote.

That is an interesting article.

I'm sure now T-Mobile would be more than cooperative to get in on this one.
Apple should bring them on board.
post #343 of 437
I think now that the new iPhone is out and many aspects of it are patented there may not be as great a need for secrecy going forward. Also companies may now see that it's ok to trust Apple on some things and give them leaway.
post #344 of 437
people around think i'm crazy. but this phone is a MUST HAVE!!! it's EVERYTHING I've always wanted. i travel from florida to NJ for a 3-4 days 4 times a year and I'll never go through the hassle of dragging my ibook through security and on a plane EVER again after i have this PDA!!!! Say goodbye Palm........
post #345 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You know Mel, saying those two things over and over aren't going to make them true. So far you have provided no evidence that either of these things are true.

For the first point, if Jobs said it, please provide the time stamp for the time at which he said it during the keynote.

For the second, you seem to assume that because of the E-911 regs, all phones have AGPS. But as others have pointed out several times, a mobile can triangulate its position using network basestations to an accuracy that meets the E-911 regs. Triangulation using basestations is not AGPS. If you've got some concrete evidence that all US phones have AGPS, please provide it.

We did have discussions about this. It has been resolved.

Just how difficult is it for you to type AGPS in Google? Not very hard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Every real time reporting site stated that Jobs said it had GPS. Even here, in the chatroom where we had our realtime reporting, we had that info.

No, I don't have a timestamp.

This is a listing of what was mentioned. If you find other listings, you should see it there as well. Read well down.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070109-8580.html
post #346 of 437
Quote:

And Both jobs and Pogue said that it wasn't finished, with placeholders for icons (For what? They didn't say.).

They didn't demo Calculator, Clock, Notes or Calendar. When Steve & Phil organised to see a movie at 7 they missed out the final step that I'd have done on my p910 at least - hop into calendar and check I was free and then set an appointment and alarm.

I'd probably also cut the text out of the web browser and paste it in the note section of my alarm too since it was there.

They also didn't demo taking a photo with the camera or shooting video but Pogue said it worked ok yet Steve said it needed improving.

There was a few other things missing but no buttons shown on the screen. No RSS reader. I'd guess that's going in safari though. No MMS support though they could probably include that in the SMS bubble iChat clone.

Then there was things just plain not there like games, Office apps and the like. Still space left to fill up the black spaces on that home screen before they have to add a category menu like Palm/Symbian.
post #347 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

They didn't demo Calculator, Clock, Notes or Calendar. When Steve & Phil organised to see a movie at 7 they missed out the final step that I'd have done on my p910 at least - hop into calendar and check I was free and then set an appointment and alarm.

I'd probably also cut the text out of the web browser and paste it in the note section of my alarm too since it was there.

They also didn't demo taking a photo with the camera or shooting video but Pogue said it worked ok yet Steve said it needed improving.

There was a few other things missing but no buttons shown on the screen. No RSS reader. I'd guess that's going in safari though. No MMS support though they could probably include that in the SMS bubble iChat clone.

Then there was things just plain not there like games, Office apps and the like. Still space left to fill up the black spaces on that home screen before they have to add a category menu like Palm/Symbian.

Hopefully, all of this will be resolved in a way that we are all happy with.
post #348 of 437
Quote:

We did have discussions about this. It has been resolved.

Just how difficult is it for you to type AGPS in Google? Not very hard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

Wow, finally there's a technology in the USA that's even more invasive than the one we have in the UK.

GSM Location based services, which we've had since the late 90s, just run off your nearest base station location so they aren't that accurate. A while back they started triangulating on some networks for more accuracy but it's still not brilliant.

I guess we're all going to get GPS in out phones now though, to go with all our CCTV cameras too.
post #349 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Wow, finally there's a technology in the USA that's even more invasive than the one we have in the UK.

GSM Location based services, which we've had since the late 90s, just run off your nearest base station location so they aren't that accurate. A while back they started triangulating on some networks for more accuracy but it's still not brilliant.

I guess we're all going to get GPS in out phones now though, to go with all our CCTV cameras too.

Now, THAT'S invasive! But, most people over there when polled, said they either didn't mind it, or liked it. The security, they felt, seemed to be more important.
post #350 of 437
Quote:

This guy think that the iPhone wil fail miserably due to it's high cost and contract with Cingular. He does some sense, but I have a feeling that Apple is much smarter than s/he is.

The problem is that it's just hard to know what Apple is up to. Sometimes they keep their secrets in plain sight, I've seen all those UI patents but I never really thought Apple would use them. Some people suggest that they spread false rumors to keep people confused.

Anyway, I do expect that Apple does do price reductions and adds models. I remember that the iPod Photos were initially very steeply priced, but those went down a couple times several months apart that I remember. Not factoring those possibilities into the armchair punditry makes it a tough sell in my view.

The Cingular bit is probably tougher to deal with.
post #351 of 437
Quote:

That too, but I think the OS will be miniLeopard, so perhaps by June we'll see fullLeopard, just guessing. I mean the UI looks sorta "Leopardish."

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #352 of 437
I showed the contents of Apple's iPhone Tab (all the videos on how the iphone works) to my 11 and 9 year old daughters. They both started shrieking like they were at the Ed Sullivan Show when the Beatles first played.

I'm dead if they don't each get one.

Migod, this will be huge.

V/R,

Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #353 of 437
Quote:

That too, but I think the OS will be miniLeopard, so perhaps by June we'll see fullLeopard, just guessing. I mean the UI looks sorta "Leopardish."

It looks kind of Apertureish to me. With the ends of the phone being black, that adds even more to the look. Maybe we will be seeing more of that. The widgits have some of that black look as well.

I hope we see Leopard a bit before june.
post #354 of 437

Two links (fairly recent) on E911 and/or GPS cell phones;

GPS Is Smartening Up Your Cell Phone (NPR webpage)

An Island of Chaos Surrounded by a Sea of Confusion: The E911 Wireless Device Location Initiative (Law Journal PDF file)

The FCC requirement is that E911 must provide a caller's location within an accuracy of 50m (method 1 below) or 100m (method 2 below) 67% of the time (both methods also have accuracy requirements of 150m and 300m 95% of the time for the respective methods), the service providers were to meet this mandate as of December 31, 2005. However, many service providers had not met the FCC mandate by the deadline, extensions had been granted and fines have been imposed.

The FCC has also approved two cell phone location methods; 1) GPS, and 2) cell tower triangulation. Service providers are at liberty to choose either so long as they meet the accuracy requirements. But since GPS has proved to be the most cost effective (see links), most service providers have opted for the GPS method.

This would lead me to believe that most (if not all) new cell phones have GPS receivers, but that there is no strict requirement that GPS receivers must be included within the handset. I don't know what the cost delta is for inclusion of GPS receivers within handsets, but if it isn't trivial, I'd expect some of the cheapest handsets wouldn't have GPS receivers. Remember the accuracy requirement, within 50m/100m 67% of the time, not for each handset, but for the service provider's entire customer base on average.

post #355 of 437
Quote:

Two links (fairly recent) on E911 and/or GPS cell phones;

GPS Is Smartening Up Your Cell Phone (NPR webpage)

An Island of Chaos Surrounded by a Sea of Confusion: The E911 Wireless Device Location Initiative (Law Journal PDF file)

The FCC requirement is that E911 must provide a caller's location within an accuracy of 100m 67% of the time, the service providers were to meet this mandate as of December 31, 2005. However, many service providers had not met the FCC mandate by the deadline, extensions had been granted and fines have been imposed.

The FCC has also approved two cell phone location methods; 1) GPS, and 2) cell tower triangulation. Service providers are at liberty to choose either so long as the meet the accuracy requirement. But since GPS has proved to be the most cost effective (see links), most service providers have opted for the GPS method.

This would lead me to believe that most (if not all) new cell phones have GPS receivers, but that there is no strict requirement that GPS receivers must be included within the handset. I don't know what the cost delta is for inclusion of GPS receivers within handsets, but if it isn't trivial, I'd expect some of the cheapest handsets wouldn't have GPS receivers. Remember the accuracy requirement, within 100m 67% of the time, not for each handset, but for the service provider's entire customer base on average.

That's why I had said, in our earlier discussion, that most cellphones had them.

But, it really is cheap. The cheapest GPS units on the market are now going for $79, at least the ones I've seen. That's for the entire device. The actual GPS functionality is just a fraction of that.

So far, that's two sites that support this phone with GPS. Ars, and AI, though we don't have a printout of the chat, as far as I know.
post #356 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

I showed the contents of Apple's iPhone Tab (all the videos on how the iphone works) to my 11 and 9 year old daughters. They both started shrieking like they were at the Ed Sullivan Show when the Beatles first played.

I'm dead if they don't each get one.

Since it's based on OS X, I've been wondering if it will have Parental Controls.
I'm guessing that on a $500 smart phone we won't be seeing these features at all.
  • Can only receive calls from people in the approved contact list
  • Can only make calls to people in the approved send list.
  • Can only talk within certain time frames to certain contacts (e.g.: No talking after 9pm with friends)
  • Same thing with sending Email and SMS messages to certain people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Anyway, I do expect that Apple does do price reductions and adds models. I remember that the iPod Photos were initially very steeply priced, but those went down a couple times several months apart that I remember.

Good point! The first iPod was $499, and the larger capacity iPod Photo was $599.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod#Models
post #357 of 437
Quote:

That's why I had said, in our earlier discussion, that most cellphones had them.

But, it really is cheap. The cheapest GPS units on the market are now going for $79, at least the ones I've seen. That's for the entire device. The actual GPS functionality is just a fraction of that.

So far, that's two sites that support this phone with GPS. Ars, and AI, though we don't have a printout of the chat, as far as I know.

I would agree, if you look into the second location method (tower triangulation) the costs are extremely cost prohibitive (I think in the tens of billions of dollars). So much so that, on second thought, it would seem extremely stupid of the service providers not to include GPS, since this would be the most cost effective and timely means of meeting the FCC requirements.

post #358 of 437
Quote:

Given the iPhone price points it would seem to be almost a given that a GPS receiver is included.

But I could see situations where a Bluetooth GPS receiver would come in handy (navigation inside a vehicle where the iPhone is in your lap/hand and the internal GPS receiver is blocked).

post #359 of 437
back when E911 was imposed on the carriers they each had to choose how they would get location data, Verizon went with AGPS (Triangulation) while Nextel & Cingular went with GPS receivers in the phone. I'm not sure about Sprint.
Each method has advantages, I had a nextel phone that took forever to pull in a GPS signal and would not work in a car. VZ Navigator phones can pull in the location data quickly and accurately almost any time there is a cell signal available, inside a car or building, whatever. Cingular went down the GPS route, so for them to upgrade thousands of cell sites for AGPS is impratical. If the iPhone is going to have location data accurate enough for driving directions it will have to have a GPS receiver built into it, that's all there is to it.

One more thing to keep in mind: Obviously the iPhone is not in production and may change, Let's say Steve wanted to use the SiFR Star 3 GPS chipset, (actually does work inside, the best available today, as far as I know) He would have been negotiating the cost for the past few months, The best way for him to get a good price would be to pretend he didn't need it at all. He went through with the introduction pretending like he intended to release the iPhone without GPS, that could scare the guys over at SiRF into giving Apple a better deal on the 15,000,000 units. As far as I know most cell phone GPS units use lower quality GPS receivers to this would be a big sale for them any way you add it up.

And what does Steve loose by holding off that announcement, nothing, it's just another chance to hype the phone and excite the potential buyers.

IMHO the iPhone has about a 50% chance of shipping with a built in GPS receiver.

However if it doesn't what I really hope Apple will do is release a Bluetooth GPS receiver that you can plug into your car (or at least support a 3rd party one) and so you can at least get driving directions when in your car.
post #360 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasodhner View Post

back when E911 was imposed on the carriers they each had to choose how they would get location data, Verizon went with AGPS (Triangulation) while Nextel & Cingular went with GPS receivers in the phone. I'm not sure about Sprint.
Each method has advantages, I had a nextel phone that took forever to pull in a GPS signal and would not work in a car. VZ Navigator phones can pull in the location data quickly and accurately almost any time there is a cell signal available, inside a car or building, whatever. Cingular went down the GPS route, so for them to upgrade thousands of cell sites for AGPS is impratical. If the iPhone is going to have location data accurate enough for driving directions it will have to have a GPS receiver built into it, that's all there is to it.

One more thing to keep in mind: Obviously the iPhone is not in production and may change, Let's say Steve wanted to use the SiFR Star 3 GPS chipset, (actually does work inside, the best available today, as far as I know) He would have been negotiating the cost for the past few months, The best way for him to get a good price would be to pretend he didn't need it at all. He went through with the introduction pretending like he intended to release the iPhone without GPS, that could scare the guys over at SiRF into giving Apple a better deal on the 15,000,000 units. As far as I know most cell phone GPS units use lower quality GPS receivers to this would be a big sale for them any way you add it up.

And what does Steve loose by holding off that announcement, nothing, it's just another chance to hype the phone and excite the potential buyers.

IMHO the iPhone has about a 50% chance of shipping with a built in GPS receiver.

However if it doesn't what I really hope Apple will do is release a Bluetooth GPS receiver that you can plug into your car (or at least support a 3rd party one) and so you can at least get driving directions when in your car.

Interesting post, but I don't agree.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple stuns Macworld crowd with multi-function iPhone device