or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › So, what do we make of this...?

So, what do we make of this...?

post #1 of 115
Keynote's over, sebastianlewis' fears have *not* come true (thank heavens!) and we got iPhone and Apple TV... and an "Apple" without a "Computer". So what's Apple 2007 gonna be like?
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #2 of 115
Dominant
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #3 of 115
If the iPhone is just the beginning, I cannot wait to see what's next.
post #4 of 115
This is the new beginning.

Leopard is coming soon, as are iLife and iWork.

Hardware will also have to take a giant leap forward to stay in step with the new phone, which is unbelievable.

This will be a very exciting year.

Prepare your credit cards.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #5 of 115
If this phone works the way it appears to (I've just gone through the apple.com demo) this isn't just a mere phone.

This is a pocket computer a truly mini Mac you can carry in your pocket. Pricey, to be sure, but smaller than a palmtop and insanely powerful. This is the device I've been dreaming of for years and it works exactly the way I'd want it to...let's just say my Palm Treo 650 is going to be available cheap in June or July.

This makes Microsoft look so 20th Century.
www.tektruth.com The next generation of CE writing and reviewing.
www.tektruth.com The next generation of CE writing and reviewing.
post #6 of 115
Very dissapointed with the carrier decision.

I have cingular but the phone should be sold unlocked, without the support of any carrier.
post #7 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSpin View Post

If the iPhone is just the beginning, I cannot wait to see what's next.

Actually, I don't think that there's going to be much of a "next" this year. With the iPhone Apple revealed the big revolution and predominant "theme" for 2007 (2006 was "Mactel-themed", 2007 might be "iPhone(/Tunes/pod/TV...)-themed")
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #8 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Prepare your credit cards.

I guess after this year's over there will be no more "credit" in my credit card...
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #9 of 115
Well, I'm dissapointed. Nothing I had hoped for (Pro Mac and Mini upgrades) came through. I need a cell phone next month but I will not be paying that kind of money for one. Nor can I wait that long to get it. Going to Cingular in a little while to see what their service is like. I am currently on Verizon but I hate my phone (not service).
post #10 of 115
Agreed. In short: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier. double-
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #11 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by durandal View Post

Keynote's over, sebastianlewis' fears have *not* come true (thank heavens!) and we got iPhone and Apple TV... and an "Apple" without a "Computer". So what's Apple 2007 gonna be like?

Either Apple has a lot up it sleeve or Steve Jobs has become so obsessed with low volume halo devices that nothing else matters to him. I'm not going to lie here, I am a little apprehensive about where Apple is headed.
post #12 of 115
Leopard and iLife will probably be a second press even for jobs in a month or two.

This guarantees a widescreen ipod this year.

Apple is gonna enter the consumer electronics game little by little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #13 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgann11 View Post

If this phone works the way it appears to (I've just gone through the apple.com demo) this isn't just a mere phone.

This is a pocket computer a truly mini Mac you can carry in your pocket. Pricey, to be sure, but smaller than a palmtop and insanely powerful. This is the device I've been dreaming of for years and it works exactly the way I'd want it to...let's just say my Palm Treo 650 is going to be available cheap in June or July.

This makes Microsoft look so 20th Century.

You aren't the only one. The people over on the Palm and Treo forums are calling this the death blow for Palm. My Treo 650 was about to get replaced with a Motorola Q, but this makes them both seem archaic. "Buttons... who still uses buttons?"
post #14 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette View Post

Very dissapointed with the carrier decision.

I have cingular but the phone should be sold unlocked, without the support of any carrier.

If it wasn't for that 2 year contract we would be paying Upwards of a thousand dollars. Apple managed to pack everything except iChat AV (ironically) and the Kitchen Sink.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #15 of 115
Next Tuesday? No???

i still feeling the hangover i guess

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #16 of 115
Well, I dont think I will be able to go to cingular based on their on-line maps. Thier coverage in Ohio is VERY spotty. I live in a residential area near the center of the city and my coverage is not in what they call their strongest area. I am miffed. They need to open this phone up for all carriers.
post #17 of 115
ya i beleive this is the big hit for 07 dont expect much more besides the new ilife and iwork applications as well as leopard, im shocked they didnt release a date for leopard...must be somethin wrong there

what im truely afraid of is i want to get the 8gb iPhone for $599 but im scared that in 6 months or a year they will come out with like a 30gb model, haha the ipods have changed dramatically in only a few months/years and theyre always upgrading the size, im worried that in 6 months-1 year after the iPhone originally comes out there will be a 30gb or 20gb or something model for the exact same price..then ill be mad haha
post #18 of 115
The only thing I want to see for the iPhone now is developer support, and how .Mac falls into everything (the first person who says .Mac is dead... let's just say I have my Flamethrower ready) now that Google and Yahoo are partners and partners with Apple.

I'm hoping they will stick some Tools into Xcode to develop for the iPhone.

Sebastian
post #19 of 115
I see this as a first good entry into the mobile space for Apple. Once the kinks are worked out, I'm sure we'll see an IPhone nano, better carrier support and a better value for more consumers.

I think the biggest news here is OSX (lite), followed by the touchscreen capability. I imagine that the OS will trickle down into part of or the rest of the iPod line over time.

I am a bit disappointed that only two products were announced and one will only be shipping next month. I understand these things take time to develop and implement, so I'm not talking about that. Unless you consider the updated Airport Extreme, we didn't really end up with much here and now.

Guess we have to look to other computer hardware announcements coinciding closer to Leopard's release.
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
2.66ghz Mac Pro - 5gb / 830gb / 7300gt 256mb
1ghz Tibook - 1gb / 60gb / 9000 64mb
iPhone - 8gb

netbanshee.com
post #20 of 115
I'm more worried they'll release a 3G version 6 months after the first one. I used Cingular's EDGE network once and was not impressed. I told myself I would not buy another PDA-like device unless it was 3G. Everything is moving 3G, so why did Apple drop the ball on this???
post #21 of 115
ya i mean i REALLY want the phone im just worried ill be stuck in a 2 year contract and wouldnt be able to get an upgraded phone from Apple...but if cingular is like t-mobile where they let u extend ur contract over again when buying a phone instead of having to pay full retail price for the phone
post #22 of 115
I suspect that there will be a silent update to iWork and iLife, or possibly OMT in a week or so... but that seems unlikely. Wonder when the quad core chips will be available? oh, hey, I think my Sprint contract is up in like August...

I could very easily see GPS getting worked into iPhone pretty soon. That would really be the icing on the Google Maps cake. _I_ sure as heck need it, and it would be awesome to have everything in one device. Maybe if it takes CF gps or something... oh well.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #23 of 115
gahhh all you are coming up with all these features they COULD add to the phone..and probably WILL add to the phone..im scared to buy it and have something else come out right after lol i just bought this damn T-Mobile Dash and now i saw this....so i said screw it im cancelling and goin to cingular hahaha but i dont want to be dissapointed when something new decides to come out right after...
post #24 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The only thing I want to see for the iPhone now is developer support, and how .Mac falls into everything (the first person who says .Mac is dead... let's just say I have my Flamethrower ready) now that Google and Yahoo are partners and partners with Apple.

I'm hoping they will stick some Tools into Xcode to develop for the iPhone.

Sebastian

Actually, I would hope that it would have the opposite effect: give a boost to .Mac.

It would certainly be in Apple's interest for this to tie-in to .Mac services for remote syncing, mail and even backing up music. Just adds in a wireless/cellular component to .Mac

Certainly could be some built in advantages for .Mac users.
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #25 of 115
AFAIK, there were 30, 724 Appleinsider members earlier today (with 3100 user IDs starting with M, and only 94 with Q).

If jobs retires, as some of the posters on other forums are speculating he'll announce on ABC tonight (what show??-nothing on ABC's website), there might be one more member of the Appleinsider community.

I didn't see the keynote (I did see last years, and only realized it was 2006's event when the Intel exec came on in his bunny suit, and Jobs announced the first Intel Mac, the new I-mac)

PS Amazing how far back Apple has come. They dominated Bloomberg's news, and were tops on WSJ. Plus, Arstechnica, which was almost excluselively PC years ago, featured Apple's announcements in its news section. I know, it's MacWorld. And I remember when MacWorld was just another computer show, as opposed to the national news event it's become.
post #26 of 115
I'm cancelling my .Mac at the end of the year. I've waited far too long for some compelling reason other than Homepage to keep paying $100 a year. Hopefully they will DO SOMETHING to .Mac to make it worthwhile to me...
post #27 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Either Apple has a lot up it sleeve or Steve Jobs has become so obsessed with low volume halo devices that nothing else matters to him. I'm not going to lie here, I am a little apprehensive about where Apple is headed.

Targetting 10m phones is low volume?

Vinea
post #28 of 115
Gps !!!!
post #29 of 115
Multi-touch, full-screen video, phone, maps.... what's not to like? The people at Blackberry have to be committing suicide right now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

what im truely afraid of is i want to get the 8gb iPhone for $599 but im scared that in 6 months or a year they will come out with like a 30gb model,

It's using Flash drives, so when 30G Nanos appear, then the phone will go that way also. Right now 8G seems the afforable, reliable max size.
post #31 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

It's using Flash drives, so when 30G Nanos appear, then the phone will go that way also. Right now 8G seems the afforable, reliable max size.

ya u are definitly right, but haha knowing apple that 30gb nano may come very fast....im definitly going to buy the phone, im a little bit upset that it will be cingular, they should have it for all the GSM+Edge companies like tmobile as well....but ill be happy to switch

my next question is how will the data plan work? because if it has wifi and edge and safari your going to need some sort of unlimited internet plan, plus id love to see texting in a single plan as well..
post #32 of 115
I want a stripped down version that is only iPod and no phone/internet/etc device.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #33 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ya u are definitly right, but haha knowing apple that 30gb nano may come very fast....im definitly going to buy the phone, im a little bit upset that it will be cingular, they should have it for all the GSM+Edge companies like tmobile as well....but ill be happy to switch

my next question is how will the data plan work? because if it has wifi and edge and safari your going to need some sort of unlimited internet plan, plus id love to see texting in a single plan as well..

WiFi works independent of EDGE, so if you're in the neighborhood of free WiFi, you can use it. Also if you know of available WiFi networks that you have access to (like Starbucks HotSpots or your company's/school's WiFi) you can use those as well.

The plans that Cingular has for unlimited access to the internet (via EDGE where available) are a little pricey IMHO compared to some of the competitors, but YMMV.
post #34 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

I want a stripped down version that is only iPod and no phone/internet/etc device.

Never mind, I realize you probably mean you want a wide-screen iPod. Ignore me
post #35 of 115
well i pay $39.99 for data/unlimited texting/hotspots with tmobile..so anything at the same price or cheaper for all of that will make me happy..too bad it their individual plans jump from 450 to 900 minutes..i only need like 600 minutes like i have with tmobile...hopefully they will have an independent plan for apple phones like tmobile does for sidekick users (sidekick data plan $20, unlimited everything except minutes)
post #36 of 115
I hope the near future includes a 30 or 80 gig iphone because 8gig isn't enough to do all the great things I'd want to do with this phone. It's nearly twice the price of the 80 gig ipod and only a tenth of the storage space. I was really hoping to upgrade my 30gig ipod to more space and a phone all in one.
post #37 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

This guarantees a widescreen ipod this year.

Um... The iPhone is the widescreen video iPod.

It's a big nano, with phone and internet capabilities.

Or

It's a full-sized flash iPod with phone and internet capabilities.

Or

It's a phone with iPod nano capacity but better-than-iPod video functionality and internet capabilities....

Or

It's a floor wax. No, I mean a dessert topping.

Etc...

Just a note: I was extremely skeptical of this. Like the movie download issue, I thought this was more analyst driven rather than consumer driven. I think I was correct overall on that issue. But here? Call me converted.
post #38 of 115
I only see Widget-type apps. Will I be able to open Word and other apps? It looks great, otherwise. I already use Cingular (just started a new contract, damnit), so I'm fine with the service provider. 8GB is enough for plenty of music and maybe a movie or a tv show when travelling. Price is a little high, but tolerable. I don't use Cingular's data service, so I'm not sure how bad that will hurt. And I wonder if the email will be available with Verizon as my DSL? I doubt it, which would suck, though presumably I could come up with a work-around.

AppleTV doesn't appeal to me. Right now, my intel iMac and macBook are both at the office. Instead of buying a new computer for the home, with 802.11n, and the AppleTV, it makes more sense to me to just buy a Mini for the home theater.

Awfully disappointed there was no Leopard information. I'm not buying a new mac for the home or offfice until Leopard comes out.

With nothing of interest to buy NOW, I'm a little let down, though I am looking forward to the iPhone.
post #39 of 115
ya i have a slingbox so the apple tv i dont care much about...now what do you guys mean about flash drive?? it says the 8gb is flash on the iphone, what does that mean, mean its able to be upgraded later or something..haha sry i have no idea
post #40 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

With nothing of interest to buy NOW, I'm a little let down, though I am looking forward to the iPhone.

I'm right there with you!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › So, what do we make of this...?