or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › So, what do we make of this...?

So, what do we make of this...? - Page 2

post #41 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

Awfully disappointed there was no Leopard information. I'm not buying a new mac for the home or offfice until Leopard comes out.

With nothing of interest to buy NOW, I'm a little let down, though I am looking forward to the iPhone.

Same here. I held off on a Mac purchase before Christmas to see what MacWorld brough. The answer? Nothing. MacWorld had nothing to do with the Mac. No Leopard. No new iMac with a Quad Core 2 Duo. No Mac Pro with Dual Quad Core 2 Xeons. No 15" MacBook. Nothing.

The iPhone looks cool, but not enough to end my current cell phone contract and switch to a new carrier (who has worse service in this area).

I would have preferred the widescreen iPod without the cell phone built in.

Does this signal the end of the music only iPod?

The iTV (AppleTV? Whatever it's called) could be revolutionary, but I'll need to see it in the wild before I get real interested.

Overall, I'm a bit let down...
post #42 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

I only see Widget-type apps. Will I be able to open Word and other apps?

Well, I think Word or something wouldn't really fit the iPhones small (small compared to Laptop/Desktop computers, that is) screen. Maybe they have some "mobile" version of iWork up their sleeves?

By the way, talking about the iPhones MacOS X underpinnings... the thing that I'm looking forward to the most is the first geek running a WebServer off his iPhone 8)

Oh, and there's one more thing: Apple shares closed at +8.31%, RIM went down more than 7% - luvin' it

http://quotes.nasdaq.com/
--
My girlfriend thinks I'm curious - that's what I read in her diary
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #43 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ive View Post

Gps !!!!

Google Maps is good enough

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #44 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

I want a stripped down version that is only iPod and no phone/internet/etc device.

May I suggest to you the 80 GB iPod out now.

I'm not sure if the iPhone will replace the iPod though... it doesn't appear that way.

Sebastian
post #45 of 115
i say we have a long time till June..now that they know that people know about the phone, im going to expect that they start throwing around some ideas for applications on the phone, im sure they will include a mobile version of iwork or ilife in it because the windows smartphone 5 has most of these features already...im sure a lot more will be integrated in the phone when its all ready and out the door for shipments
post #46 of 115
Hey my forum layout just changed...
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #47 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

im going to expect that they start throwing around some ideas for applications on the phone

...and hopefully Apple will throw around some iPhone dev tools for us to realize these ideas...
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #48 of 115
doesn't the airport extreme now support USB HDs??? I thought I read that...
post #49 of 115
Aside from a hard drive based iphone, I'd also like to see a game controller add-on that clips onto each side of the iphone. Apple now has the perfect platform for (portable) gaming.

I'd also like to see a picture of the back of the iphone is anyone has one.
post #50 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

The plans that Cingular has for unlimited access to the internet (via EDGE where available) are a little pricey IMHO compared to some of the competitors, but YMMV.

With the potential of at least 10 million new customers, I'd assume Cingular might consider creating a cheaper data plan by June.

Ugh! I want that device, but do not want switch carriers.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
MWSF '07: Steve Jobs hates my wallet and my mobile carrier.
post #51 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by durandal View Post

...and hopefully Apple will throw around some iPhone dev tools for us to realize these ideas...

ummm... you mean like Dashboard?
post #52 of 115
no like other applications not on dashboard, such as word and that whole family, maybe slingmedia will create an app to work on the iphone as well, theres tons to be made...

oh and yes i truely beleive that cingular will create a specific plan for iphone honestly they kind of have to the data plans they have now are bogus..

i wonder if you can download ringtones or if it allows you to set up your ipod songs as your ringer..but those songs are long haha
post #53 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongold View Post

ummm... you mean like Dashboard?

Dashcode you mean? No... I was thinking more like "XCode mobile" (maybe with some 'iPhone emulation' to test your iPhone apps on your workstation) and "iPhone SDK"...
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #54 of 115
Here's a link to the iPhone mockup at Macworld.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/first-iphone-pics/

Cheers
post #55 of 115
I bet the other reason they didn't talk about Leopard (other than the phone took the whole time) is M$ blatant copying in Vista. Steve is waiting until after Vista ships (read: no more delays to put copied stuff into windows) to talk about the "top secret" stuff in 10.5. He wants to widen the lead OS X has over Windows; yet another step in the "take back the computer business from the lying, copying, no-talent, shameless micorshaft" strategy.
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
Mac Pro 2.66, 8GB RAM, 250GBx4, Apple 30", MacBook Pro (Uni) 15" 2.4, 4GB, iPhone 3G 16GB Black
post #56 of 115
I fully expect Apple to release an iPod-only version of this. It will make a lot of people happy.
post #57 of 115
hmm looks like it has a place to put SD cards....or flash? so it will have 8mb memory plus flash??
post #58 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane View Post

take back the computer business

Something in Apple's move to rename themselves today tells me that their strategy is not about taking back the computer biz...
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #59 of 115
Quote:

I bet the other reason they didn't talk about Leopard (other than the phone took the whole time) is M$ blatant copying in Vista. Steve is waiting until after Vista ships (read: no more delays to put copied stuff into windows) to talk about the "top secret" stuff in 10.5. He wants to widen the lead OS X has over Windows; yet another step in the "take back the computer business from the lying, copying, no-talent, shameless micorshaft" strategy.

wow never thought of it like that, but i think ur like 95% right about this...i think they want the good stuff hidden
post #60 of 115
I think Apple and Steve Jobs understood what a big deal iPhone is and didn't want to muddy the water with a lot of other stuff.

I have my take on it, of course:

http://www.tektruth.com/moxie/commen...es-iphon.shtml

I don't honestly think Steve is worried about Vista copying Leopard...it would take Microsoft three months to schedule a meeting to discuss copying the features. I think this is the beginning of a lot of interesting announcements, none as mundane as eight processors in a MacPro
www.tektruth.com The next generation of CE writing and reviewing.
www.tektruth.com The next generation of CE writing and reviewing.
post #61 of 115
I am really looking forward to March, when things really start to kick it up this year

Sebastian
post #62 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

doesn't the airport extreme now support USB HDs??? I thought I read that...

Yes, the question is the filesystem it uses.
post #63 of 115
Quote:

Something in Apple's move to rename themselves today tells me that their strategy is not about taking back the computer biz...

That's a good point, maybe I should rephrase that: "stick a red-hot-piping iPod/iPhone/OS X device up bill's [where-the-sun-don't-shine] for copying everything over the years and prove that 'making better stuff actually DOES matter'" 8)

On the flip side, it could be part of the plan, iPhone is a computer for most intents and purposes.
post #64 of 115
Quote:

That's a good point, maybe I should rephrase that: "stick a red-hot-piping iPod/iPhone/OS X device up bill's [where-the-sun-don't-shine] for copying everything over the years and prove that 'making better stuff actually DOES matter'" 8)

CONFIRME... errr... Agreed
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #65 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by csi95;1022133 [B

Mac[/B]World had nothing to do with the Mac.

I would have preferred the widescreen iPod without the cell phone built in.

post #66 of 115
Quote:

Yes, the question is the filesystem it uses.

wouldn't the file system be dictated by the OS not by the airport extreme?
post #67 of 115
My thoughts on the iPhone:

1.) Hardware: Well nothing to write home about. Rokr E6 or A1200 offer basicly the same features. Available now.

2.) Handling: It's looks nice but will it actually work? Phones with sticks weren't received very well so far. Using your fingers might make the display a litte smeary, especially after putting to your ear.

3.) Price: Atleast in Europe I simply don't see many people paying such price. Phones over 250 simply don't sell in volume here. Motorola K1 is sold for 0-20 (with contract) here. We are not used to these prices.

4.) Software: It's nice but I'm really curious if Apple will allow any non signed SW at all.
post #68 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

wouldn't the file system be dictated by the OS not by the airport extreme?

You would think, but the NAS pieces I have seen so far have their own FS. I hope it will use HFS+
post #69 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Tron View Post

My thoughts on the iPhone:

1.) Hardware: Well nothing to write home about. Rokr E6 or A1200 offer basicly the same features. Available now.

2.) Handling: It's looks nice but will it actually work? Phones with sticks weren't received very well so far. Using your fingers might make the display a litte smeary, especially after putting to your ear.

3.) Price: Atleast in Europe I simply don't see many people paying such price. Phones over 250 simply don't sell in volume here. Motorola K1 is sold for 0-20 (with contract) here. We are not used to these prices.

4.) Software: It's nice but I'm really curious if Apple will allow any non signed SW at all.

ya well welcome to America..this will be off the store shelves in minutes
post #70 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsmi View Post

Well, I dont think I will be able to go to cingular based on their on-line maps. Thier coverage in Ohio is VERY spotty. I live in a residential area near the center of the city and my coverage is not in what they call their strongest area. I am miffed. They need to open this phone up for all carriers.

GSM coverage in general is pretty spotty in North American.
post #71 of 115
Quote:

Dashcode you mean? No... I was thinking more like "XCode mobile" (maybe with some 'iPhone emulation' to test your iPhone apps on your workstation) and "iPhone SDK"...

Yes that is what I meant to say. Thanks. Dashcode.

Quote:

no like other applications not on dashboard, such as word and that whole family, maybe slingmedia will create an app to work on the iphone as well, theres tons to be made...

To my knowledge, I dont believe that the phone is capable of actuall running the same OS taht you see on a Mac desktop. I believe what you see as far as application capabilities, mostly reside in CORE Image, CORE Video and Web Kit (Javascript, CSS and HTML)

Quote:

oh and yes i truely beleive that cingular will create a specific plan for iphone honestly they kind of have to the data plans they have now are bogus..

They already did. Sounds like Apple worked with Cingular to provide services unique to Apple's phone. Things like triangulation for location based services and visual voice mail technology, syncing and sending stuff like e-mail — WHILE talking on the phone, etc., etc.

Quote:

i wonder if you can download ringtones or if it allows you to set up your ipod songs as your ringer..but those songs are long haha

That seems like a logical capability. Maybe zoom in on the song part that you want, analogous to the demonstration of zooming in on a photo to use that part as the screens background, then save as a ringtone. Probably kind of like Fission as a Ringtone Widget.
post #72 of 115
Hmm... something that makes me wonder is the fact Apple appearanly didn't build in handwriting recognition. Wouldn't Inkwell be the perfect technology for this?
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #73 of 115
Quote:

You would think, but the NAS pieces I have seen so far have their own FS. I hope it will use HFS+

Personally, I hope it will allow for ZFS with Leopard. Make it a truly LAN-wide pool of storage. No volumes, nada, just plug in a bunch of drives and go.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #74 of 115
--
(Unknown)
--
(Unknown)
post #75 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

With the potential of at least 10 million new customers, I'd assume Cingular might consider creating a cheaper data plan by June.

Ha! Now that's a good one! You should be a comedy writer.

I'm 100% certain that the thought of dropping prices has never crossed their minds. Instead, I wouldn't be shocked to hear that they raise prices to account for all the convenience you'll now get from your iPhone...
post #76 of 115
Quote:

Keynote's up: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

ewww, bad idea, you're supposed to let those of us who are watching for it get at least half-way through before everyone bonbards the server
post #77 of 115
haha ya the server is jammed taking 5 hours to connect haha...oh and csi95, i think you are wrong, when hiptop and tmobile made a deal their deal was to keep a low data plan, now when i transferred from my sidekick to a Dash im paying twice as much for the data plan, i strongly beleive apple will be setting up the same deal with cingular, i mean apple is going to be giving them crazy business after all
post #78 of 115
Quote:

haha ya the server is jammed taking 5 hours to connect haha...oh and csi95, i think you are wrong, when hiptop and tmobile made a deal their deal was to keep a low data plan, now when i transferred from my sidekick to a Dash im paying twice as much for the data plan, i strongly beleive apple will be setting up the same deal with cingular, i mean apple is going to be giving them crazy business after all

Yah...seriously if they are targetting 10M sales and not all will be current Cingular customers or perhaps like me willing to sign up for another 2 years just to get one.

But that data plan better not suck or it will only get used around WiFi spots.

Vinea
post #79 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Tron View Post

Cosign that! It's bad enough getting fingerprints on the external screen of my RAZR, or marks from having the internal screen against my ear too long.

My MBP has made a me a compulsive hand-washer (it's SO shiny), I wouldn't want to have to handle my phone with kid gloves too.

I suppose the other issue for Mac enthusiasts is redundancy. If you already have an iPod for music, and a MBP for working on the go, is there really any need for the iPhone? Yes, you won't want to take your laptop everywhere, but you probably will want to take the iPod if you've got a ton of music on it, rather than having an abridged selection on your iPhone.

So while it seems nifty, it hardly feels like a must-have for me.

Then there's the issue of pricing. Apple maintains a pretty tight rein over its resellers - notice how even when a (usually old) product is discounted, it's discounted uniformly across every store?

This can't be popular with the phone companies, who like to deeply discount models or even offer them free as an incentive to sign on to a particular plan. This works if the iPhone is predominately intended as a device to bring Apple to the masses.

It mightn't work if they still want to preserve high prices to make it a pretty exclusive product. Which would be fine and good, except, who is the market for such a product? People like us, who, as I've already discussed, don't really *need* an iPhone at all.

It may be that the functionality and features are truly mind-blowing. But at first gloss, the difference between this and any other smart phone seems much less than between my MBP and an Inspiron, or that between an iPod and a SanDisk.

In fact, to make a fairer comparison, the difference is less even than that between a 1G iPod and the mp3s than were on the market then. I know it's only early days, but Apple's set themselves up as the company to beat, frankly they can't afford to do mediocre...
post #80 of 115
I can't believe that I've now gone seven whole MacWorlds begging for a darn spreadsheet.
Why must we suffer like this?

I didn't even get a Dual Quad Core Mac Pro as consolation. BTW, how do you have a MacWorld Keynote without any Macs?

On the other hand, it was nice to see a most modernized take on the Newton concept, even if Apple is taking every step not to have it called that.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › So, what do we make of this...?