or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First whiner thread.

First whiner thread.

post #1 of 68
Fucking TV, Fucking phones. I just want a god damn headless imac with a core 2 conroe, expandable graphics card in a quiet mac mini style case.
post #2 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

Fucking TV, Fucking phones. I just want a god damn headless imac with a core 2 conroe, expandable graphics card in a quiet mac mini style case.

Your not going to get it. Apple is all about technology gadgets now. Not computers.

I was looking forward to Macworld keynote. Not the iPodworld keynote.
post #3 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

and a Leopard release date!!
"We get quite a few complaints that we don't feature enough affordable cars on the show, so we're kicking off tonight with the cheapest Ferrari of them all" Jeremy Clarkson, on Top Gear
"We get quite a few complaints that we don't feature enough affordable cars on the show, so we're kicking off tonight with the cheapest Ferrari of them all" Jeremy Clarkson, on Top Gear
post #4 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I was looking forward to Macworld keynote. Not the iPodworld keynote.

Exactly!!!
post #5 of 68
I used to think it might be possible. But I now believe Apple will never release a consumer tower. At least as long as Steve is in control.

I am surprised this keynote had nothing to do with computer news. Aren't macworlds usually for computer news and Apple special events for stuff like ipods?
post #6 of 68
yes, but we're not dealing with Apple Computer anymore, its Apple, Inc.
post #7 of 68
I thought they already dropped the word computer like 6 months ago?
post #8 of 68
All I wanted was iLife/iWork 07. Not even that big of a wish! And NOOOO!

A phone I can't afford or want, and an tv thing that doesn't work with my TV.
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post

I couldn't agree more. My brother is SOOO pissed about iWork. He needs his Keynote fix.

I am a bit pissed too. Did they even do a preview of leopard or just iPhone and then only tell me you have to be with Cingular. Until they do verizon, I am stuck with a Blackberry.

Then iTV only works with like 20 tv's and guess what, I don't have any of them because I am not a rock star. Sucks!
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post

http://www.engadget.com/photos/first-iphone-pics/

- I think you miss the point; This thing puts OS X into the hands of people who would never ever ever consider a Mac..... its a massive step... huge..... most of all business uses might start to embrace the simplicity of OS X......

One further point... the iPhone not on-sale until June.... expect all iPod 5g to get the full screen treatment in July.........

again you've all missed the point.... step by step.... introduce Leopard.... the rest is history......
post #11 of 68
I'm slightly disappointed, but I understand. iPhone is HUGE for apple, so they were right to introduce it along with Apple TV and an airport update, as any other updates would be overshadowed.

I guess they are holding iLife off until nearer Leopard time, since apparently they tie in very well together. Realistically Leopard was never going to be out today anyway, so no loss there.

Looking forward to a special announcement next month for mac updates and Leopard and iLife announcements. I'd put money on there being one within 8 weeks. The two things I need from Apple are a Mac mini update and a leopard ship date - I'll buy a mini when the specs are better and it ships with Leopard. I knew this wasn't going to happen today anyway, so I'm still crossing my fingers for March.

The iPhone does interest me - my contract is up in September, so whichever UK network supports it will be getting a contract from me.

My only disappointment is that there are still no movies in the UK. I thought that they would announce this to tie in with Apple TV, but maybe there is still a chance that it will be announced on ship date.

Of note, the front page of the UK site hasn't been updated yet, so me may yet see speed bumps tomorrow or next week for those looking for Mac releases. As I say though, I'm pretty certain we'll see Mac announcements within 8 weeks.

Chill out guys! At least we don't have to hear any more iPhone rumours! 8)
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboytrash View Post

http://www.engadget.com/photos/first-iphone-pics/

- I think you miss the point; This thing puts OS X into the hands of people who would never ever ever consider a Mac..... its a massive step... huge..... most of all business uses might start to embrace the simplicity of OS X......

One further point... the iPhone not on-sale until June.... expect all iPod 5g to get the full screen treatment in July.........

again you've all missed the point.... step by step.... introduce Leopard.... the rest is history......

I think that everybody understands the point point of the iPhone. There's all kinds of reasons why today's announcements were a good idea for Apple. But there's a lot of us who have no interest in either of the devices in the keynote. On the contrary, I'm going to be doing a lot of writing over the next few months, and I was ready to buy a new version of iWork as soon as it appeared on Apple's site.
post #13 of 68
Everybody always finds the one thing Apple didn't update to complain about

G_Warren
I think you'll still hear rumors about the iPhone. But now they will be about upgrades to the unit.
post #14 of 68
Quote:

I think you miss the point; This thing puts OS X into the hands of people who would never ever ever consider a Mac..... its a massive step... huge..... most of all business uses might start to embrace the simplicity of OS X......

Nope, the point is this is Macworld about Macs. The people who support Apple most are the users of Apple computers. This iphone targets a small minority of business users and however cool, is something you'd see in t3 magazine and then go yeah, it's cool but I'll never own one.

This is not a device that will change people's perception of Apple, it will merely propagate the notion they make expensive devices for a niche market and that's what some of us hope to get away from. The Intel and OS X switch were the best things they've done to open up the Mac to a wider audience.

iphone does widen the market but not significantly. It would be different if this portable OS could run on multiple palmtops like Windows CE but we all know it will be solely on the expensive iphone so it's a gimmick and it should've been shown last year at the showtime event.

I wanted what MarkUK said, a headless Core 2 Duo iMac and good graphics. I also wanted something about Leopard. Anything computer related would have been nice. iTV is about Front Row and itunes. iphone is about smartphone users. The 802.11n update is the closest they got to having anything interesting for Mac users but we've had 802.11n draft for ages now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePi

Everybody always finds the one thing Apple didn't update to complain about

Except in this case, Apple only updated airport, which is useless for anyone without updated airport cards. iphone is a not an updated ipod, it's a different device for a new market - only a true music lover would spend $500+ on an MP3 player and they'd need way more than 4GB. iTV is for people who use a TV to view content. I use my computer because I'm a Mac user not a TV user.

Y'know what I say to Steve Jobs?

Quote:
Step into my office. Why? Cuz you're f*ckin fired!
post #15 of 68
I'll add to the whiner thread by saying "WHY DOES IT TAKE HOURS AND HOURS TO UPLOAD THE KEYNOTE ADDRESS!!?? sheesh, that thing should be up by now...
post #16 of 68
Again you want software for your Mac cos your a MAC user ! This thing brings OS X (ie the MAC) to non-MAC users... yes you want iLife and yes some people want Leopard etc. but this thing brings OS X to those who wouldn't ever want a MAC.... just wait... a leap frog product..... you already own a MAC.. they don't care about you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Nope, the point is this is Macworld about Macs. The people who support Apple most are the users of Apple computers. This iphone targets a small minority of business users and however cool, is something you'd see in t3 magazine and then go yeah, it's cool but I'll never own one.

This is not a device that will change people's perception of Apple, it will merely propagate the notion they make expensive devices for a niche market and that's what some of us hope to get away from. The Intel and OS X switch were the best things they've done to open up the Mac to a wider audience.

iphone does widen the market but not significantly. It would be different if this portable OS could run on multiple palmtops like Windows CE but we all know it will be solely on the expensive iphone so it's a gimmick and it should've been shown last year at the showtime event.

I wanted what MarkUK said, a headless Core 2 Duo iMac and good graphics. I also wanted something about Leopard. Anything computer related would have been nice. iTV is about Front Row and itunes. iphone is about smartphone users. The 802.11n update is the closest they got to having anything interesting for Mac users but we've had 802.11n draft for ages now.

Except in this case, Apple only updated airport, which is useless for anyone without updated airport cards. iphone is a not an updated ipod, it's a different device for a new market - only a true music lover would spend $500+ on an MP3 player and they'd need way more than 4GB. iTV is for people who use a TV to view content. I use my computer because I'm a Mac user not a TV user.

Y'know what I say to Steve Jobs?
post #17 of 68
"WHY DOES IT TAKE HOURS AND HOURS TO UPLOAD THE KEYNOTE ADDRESS!!??

Because the software they use to encode the video runs on Rosetta.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #18 of 68
Quote:

Enlightened.

(That doesn't stop me from wanting Mac Cube Conroe, Leopard, iLife/Works, new iMac, OctoMac...etc...heh.)

I expect a storm of newly designed Mac announcements over the next four months. 07 is going to be Mac massive. Steve said as much and after the iPhone announcement...think the impossible.

Let iPhone steal Vista's thunder. It IS revolutionary and deserves the spotlight. It IS the 'Mac' of the future...

When Leopard arrives, it will bring new hardware and if iphone is anything to go by, an awesome new interface.

The iPhone buys Apple time to blow the doors off Vista. Bug squashed and done right.

The iPhone will sell more Macs than the iPod has. (I remember people being rubbed up the wrong way regarding the iPod attention. But it has helped Apple's renaissance. No question about that...and may the iPhone do likewise.) We'll more likely get our 'Conroe' Macs if the iPhone can indirectly school Mac sales to 3 million plus! per quarter...

A checkmate move by Apple. And Leopard isn't even here...

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #19 of 68
You can just see a tablet Mac on the cards now. Maybe an iMac variant with removable screen...from stand/dock...

...and laptops we can 'paw' over the interface of Leopard?

Lemon Bon Bon

post #20 of 68
Yeah, I have to admit that I did feel really disappointed.

We've waited all this time, and we've been presented with a long overdue update to an existing product, AppleTV, and a phone that is currently Vaporware. I'll get excited about the iPhone when I can actually hold one in my hands and buy it, which seeing as I live in the UK will probably be well after June.

Like I said before, this Keynote smacks of two steps forward - when everyone wanted to see what was one step forward. Well I hope YOU had fun Mr. Jobs!

There are more pressing issues at the moment, like producing a non-workstation Mac that can actually support more than 3GB of DDR2 SDRAM. This is MACworld after all. Is is too much to ask to have access to a decent production machine that doesn't use those bloody proprietary FB-DIMMs? All the 'real' software is still stuck with Rosetta and try seeing how far you can get with 3GB of RAM.

And for fucksakes, have we not waited long enough to find out what Leopard actually looks like?

I hope that there are a number of additional announcements over the following days...
post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

It IS the 'Mac' of the future...

No, that's the whole point, it's not the Mac of the future. It might be the phone of the future. It might be the iPod of the future. It might be the Blackberry of the future. But if there's one thing it most certainly isn't, it's the Mac of the future.

Yes it's a great execution of a great idea, but how am I meant to layout annual reports on it?

Apple should have had a special event for the launch of the iPhone, and left the Macworld Expo to what it does best... Macs.
post #22 of 68
I am not dissapointed, but not overwelmed with joy either. I've been holding out for a new phone so i'm thrilled for the iPhone, but i kinda expected more out of Macworld. The Apple TV, which doesn't really appeal to me. was expected, no big surprise there. I was really hoping for a glimpse Leopard's "TOP SECRET" features. I think the iPhone interface is probably a lot like Leopard though.
www.myspace.com/windowchicken <---i think they are finny =p.
www.myspace.com/windowchicken <---i think they are finny =p.
post #23 of 68
The iPhone is almost perfect to me, all it's missing is an 80gig hard drive, T-Mobile support and that built in camera isn't looking too hot (I have a feeling it's pictures are going to look like all those other crappy cell phone cameras - high res but not good quality. Not enough to replace a real digital point and shoot camera).
post #24 of 68
One big thing I realized is how by the end of the keynote, I had almost forgotten about AppleTV, and completely forgotten about Paramount. Though this could not be the case, I see it as a good idea for them to jsut do the iPhone at Macworld. Now before you people say "But MACworld is about the MAC'S!", imagine how dissapointed people would of been if there was no iPhone release. No matter what they had to offer, people would of left disappointed. Now I see this is the case here, and even I am disappointed slightly. However, I don't think Apple wanted to put any of their products on the back burner, and I have a strong feeling we'll see a few press release meetings with Steve before long.

(That is just my wishful thinking, and if it doesn't ever happen, feel free to burn me on a stake.)
post #25 of 68
well i just would've liked to see a bit more of leopard...
post #26 of 68
I'm going to chime in here and go out on a ledge...

I think apple post-poned announcing leopard features because vista hasn't launched to consumers yet. I feel apple has put them in a position to do a feature launch of leopard a week or so after vista officially released, and show they have already put vista in a coffin feature / gui wise. At least I hope so. I feel iLife / iWork go along with this theory since they are supposedly tied much closer into leopard than previous releases.

I am glad apple has a phone now and we all can move on. I'm glad itv is released and is hd..... kinda. I hope apple doesn't lose track of the computer part of their company. Because after all, the computer part is who they are. They would be nothing without that part. At the recent leopard talk I went to, they admitted selling hardware is their number once concern. So I can't imagine them dropping the computer section any time soon. Also how else would they develop the software for all these nifty devices?

My hope was a middle line tower as well. Or at least a speed bump to the macpros so I could get a dual dual at a cheaper price. We'll see what appel has in store for us computer wise.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #27 of 68
I can see the touch screen evolving into a desk top experience. Certainly a desk phone with a larger form factor capable of video conferencing. But think of a future generation of Mac Displays that we control with MultiTouchflipping pages of documents, scrolling through iPhoto library, zooming in on web pages.... In other words, the iPhone is part of the evolution of the Macintosh.
post #28 of 68
I can understand a lot of the whining above, but the ones about iLife puzzle me: What exactly were you looking for as iLife updates? To me it seems like everything that is new (phone, tv, etc) fits perfectly well with the iLife that is out there? Why punish yourselves with another needless $69 upgrade for some trivial additional functionality?!

Also, for the average user, what does OS 10.5 do right away that 10.4.8 does not? (As a post pointed out above, Apple might as well wait for Vista and then sock it to them when that dust settles).
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple might as well wait for Vista and then sock it to them when that dust settles).

I think that's what the game plan is.

I share the anticlimax of the day. I want redesigned notebooks and the consumer tower that everyone else wants. But that will have to wait for another day. I'll stay optimistic!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #30 of 68
Quote:

I think you miss the point; This thing puts OS X into the hands of people who would never ever ever consider a Mac..... its a massive step... huge..... most of all business uses might start to embrace the simplicity of OS X......

If you can afford a $600-$700 phone (approx cost without a contract), I'd surely hope you can afford to buy a Mac.
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you implying that you expect the iPod to get the same interface as the iPhone??? I hope you realize that would be even more expensive than the iPhone. The cellular network chip is like a couple of dollars. Add a hard drive and drop Cingular subsidizing the cost, and how much do you think this would cost?
post #31 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

You can just see a tablet Mac on the cards now. Maybe an iMac variant with removable screen...from stand/dock...

...and laptops we can 'paw' over the interface of Leopard?

I sure hope so, because this iPhone interface just begs to be put on a tablet. I'd pay good money for this interface on a tablet. I can pass on the phone till it's affordable.
post #32 of 68
What about an Octo Mac Pro?
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
Why do so many Sys Admins hate the Mac? . A q u a M a c .
post #33 of 68

But that name was already taken!

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #34 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Irony is lesbians f**king each other with penis shaped dildos...

As opposed to dildos shaped like what?
post #35 of 68
Underwelming to put it mildly.

Like some others have stated - a settop box I can't use and a phone I can't get now (if ever?) Even the phone can be slammed for not having 3G, a decent camera and sufficient storage to make it a good iPod. It looks very cool - admittedly - but for now it might as well just be a concept in a lab somewhere to me.

I seriously hope it will be updated before it hits Europe since 3G is coming strongly and that the price isn't exorbitant because I'll pass on it if it is. HOPEFULLY some of the local carriers will subsidise it heavily......
post #36 of 68
The iPhone is a new breed of Mac.

And it's wide open to a billion customers eta June 2007-Asia 2008.

It runs OS X.

Lemon Bon Bon

post #37 of 68
My 1st phone cost me £125.

I'd pay the £250 Apple are asking for this phone.

It's so MUCH more.

Lemon Bon Bon

post #38 of 68
Quote:
Irony is lesbians f**king each other with penis shaped dildos...

Heh.

Lemon Bon Bon

post #39 of 68
Quote:
Apple should have had a special event for the launch of the iPhone, and left the Macworld Expo to what it does best... Macs.

Because Leopard and the Macs aren't ready?

Lemon Bon Bon

post #40 of 68
Well I hope there is a special event in early Feb. for Macs and Leopard. Apple built the company on the backs of its computer users. This was a smack in the face of all of us along with alot of others. I am too angry right now. I almost wish there was a viable alturnative to the Mac for me...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › First whiner thread.