or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › High-quality images of Apple's iPhone (hardware)

High-quality images of Apple's iPhone (hardware)

post #1 of 33
dude how do u type
post #2 of 33
It's the Gummi de Milo.
post #3 of 33
Oh, yeah, I want one.

I dislike the clumsy, unwieldy feel of Motorola's Razr in my hand - purty and all as it looks - I feel safer holding it with one and dialling it or texting or whatever with the other, just from the pic on Apple's site I'm worried it might be a bit the same.

If I had one I was using as a phone to the extent and in the manner I use my current Nokia I think I'd feel safer with a cord around my wrist, as inelegant as that would be.

But woah, buddy, I still want one.
post #4 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

It's the Gummi de Milo.

Hehehe.
post #5 of 33
forget it...
post #6 of 33
If ever something were to be described as sexy! I can't get onto the keynote though- "due to exceptional demand"
post #7 of 33
wheres the camera lens?
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by theallseeingeye View Post

wheres the camera lens?

I think it is the black circle on the back side.

http://images.appleinsider.com/event...roto-mw-27.jpg
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it is the black circle on the back side.

so no flash, thats gonna suck. Even my SE W810i has a light to help in the dark, can't believe Apple missed that one...
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by theallseeingeye View Post

so no flash, thats gonna suck. Even my SE W810i has a light to help in the dark, can't believe Apple missed that one...

We'll see. Wouldn't surprise me if they have something integrated into that little lens via a 45 degree prism or the like. Remember, this is Steve's baby.
post #11 of 33
This week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco is the only place you can catch a glimpse of Apple's new iPhone device, but plan to wait your turn in line.

There appear to be a whopping three iPhones on site -- two on the exhibition floor, and another in the hand of Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.

Those two units on the show floor can bee seen rotating slowly inside a plexiglas cylinder, which itself is propped about six feet off the ground by a similarly-shaped pedestal.

Crowds gathering around the two iPhones on display were five to seven people deep on Tuesday afternoon, as photographers and enthusiasts tried to snag some clean shots of the groundbreaking device to call their own.

AppleInsider is publishing two galleries: one focusing on the device's hardware aesthetic and another on its various software interfaces.

post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bjasnak3 View Post

dude how do u type

touch screen
post #13 of 33
Apple customers being what they are (neurotic whiners) I'm betting the class-action lawyers are already preparing their cases against the iPhone. The first time somebody reaches a wrong number they'll proclaim it a "design defect". And of course the first screen that gets a scratch on it will immediately spawn a website called "www.iPhonescratches.com" along with a petition asking for signatures in a class-action lawsuit. And the really big one, when they get their first bill from Cingular with all that web access time, they'll sue Apple for not having a warning label about running up their bills by surfing the net.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuyutsuki View Post

We'll see. Wouldn't surprise me if they have something integrated into that little lens via a 45 degree prism or the like. Remember, this is Steve's baby.

Maybe the Apple is the flash Nah...

post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post

Maybe the Apple is the flash Nah...

That would be so hot...

I'm already drooling over the fact that the backside is brushed metal! Still trying to figure out why it's got a black butt...
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

That would be so hot...

I'm already drooling over the fact that the backside is brushed metal! Still trying to figure out why it's got a black butt...

To let the radio signals out and in, I guess.
post #17 of 33
This phone looks crazy pimp but I still wish there was a flip version, maybe one day....

but I'll get this one most likely anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Apple customers being what they are (neurotic whiners) I'm betting the class-action lawyers are already preparing their cases against the iPhone. The first time somebody reaches a wrong number they'll proclaim it a "design defect". And of course the first screen that gets a scratch on it will immediately spawn a website called "www.iPhonescratches.com" along with a petition asking for signatures in a class-action lawsuit. And the really big one, when they get their first bill from Cingular with all that web access time, they'll sue Apple for not having a warning label about running up their bills by surfing the net.

Dang! You beat me to the reply. As I was looking at the touch screen, I too was thinking of those people who would file a lawsuit.
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

To let the radio signals out and in, I guess.

... and one could hope that it provided access to a user-replaceable battery.
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
"Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell
post #20 of 33
Oh, man, that's nice.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 33
Okay, so this one's for Jonathan Ive and his team:

1- Why not getting rid of the chromey front edge and replace it with a glossy black? This way the front screen will melt into the edges. Contributing to a more wide (thus open) experience.

2- Why having this black chin on the back side of the phone? Why not having it all chrome?! Like you so beautifully did with the high end iPods. People could laser engrave anything on it, making this lust device even more personal!

This way, the phone would be more iPod and less Nokia.

By the way, apart from the Safari clone, I adore the GUI! Well done guys, and I hope to see the cover browser make its way to the music iPods!
post #22 of 33
Any news on the battery life? A big screen, bluetooth AND wireless, that thing must suck up battery power in minutes!
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

1- Why not getting rid of the chromey front edge and replace it with a glossy black? This way the front screen will melt into the edges. Contributing to a more wide (thus open) experience.

2- Why having this black chin on the back side of the phone? Why not having it all chrome?! Like you so beautifully did with the high end iPods. People could laser engrave anything on it, making this lust device even more personal!

Alternatively one could keep the chromey front edge and turn the back side into a satin black (kinda Macbook black). This way the camera and all the other buttons (on the side) will blend away in an ocean of blackness.

Enjoying my one way conversation
post #24 of 33
mr O:

I like the black instead of chrome idea, good shout . I think the black bottom is for signal reception.

Oh and in the next 5 months I hope they do add a flashlight (maybe in the Apple logo like opuscroakus says?? )
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

mr O:

I like the black instead of chrome idea, good shout . I think the black bottom is for signal reception.

I think the black bit is where the battery goes.
post #26 of 33
does this phone have a headphone jack??? ive been trying to figure out since i heard about it yesterday. I think the thing in the top right might be it but not sure (http://images.appleinsider.com/event...roto-mw-27.jpg)

also i was so happy to hear about the iphone i totaly forgot about the flash thats a big downside
post #27 of 33
I'm not crazy about the chrome edge, looks kinda cheesy. There's now 4 different colour/textures on the device which isn't very Apple. And I was really hoping for a slide out qwerty keyboard - no physical feedback from a touch screen doesn't make for happy typing. (I have a Sidekick II and love the keyboard on that.)
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

There's now 4 different colour/textures on the device which isn't very Apple.

I am also deeply concerned on how this is ever gonna fit into the current Apple design language. I actually wonder how this got Ive's approval.

Unless this is a burden of things to come
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I'm not crazy about the chrome edge, looks kinda cheesy. There's now 4 different colour/textures on the device which isn't very Apple. And I was really hoping for a slide out qwerty keyboard - no physical feedback from a touch screen doesn't make for happy typing. (I have a Sidekick II and love the keyboard on that.)

Sliding parts are probably a reliability nightmare, it might jam or fall apart. Apple seems to like simple objects too.

I'm not sure about the battery issue. Maybe the black part is just a way to hide the battery module latch.

I have an old phone with its original battery. It's been dropped a few times and the battery catches on the phone side are broken. What I do to keep the battery in is packing tape around the body. I would not mind not having an ejectable battery provided that the battery replacement cost isn't too high. For the iPods, Apple charges $60 (IIRC) and you can get third parties to do it for $40.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I think Ive would have preferred not having the chin, but high frequency (in technical terms, sub-microwave band frequencies) have a lot of trouble penetrating metal. The metal provides a good shield, however, for the bits that Apple doesn't want to radiate, and it also provides a lot of strength so that the enclosure can be very thin. Until the Zirconia models come out, there will be a chin.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #31 of 33
I don't like the back, but I guess chrome would heat up too much. Anyway, this is beautiful!
Its a shame they wont have it here (in europe) until 4th quarter 2007. I was hoping more like, in two months. Oh well. Do you think that they'll use the touch screen in future iMacs? The scroll feature would be convenient. Did anyone notice that on the Apple site, there's a notice: "This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained." What's up with that? Is that why it's taking so long to get to market?
The competition could have caught up by the time the iPhone gets to Europe, or Asia. I know, it
takes a while to bring a product to market, but since there's now the iPhone, people at Nokia and Samsung will be working overtime from now on. I know Apple's patented everything, but couldn't they still get around those patents? Well, I hope the iPhone is sucessful. I'll buy one, but they're are certainly a lot of people that don't have that kind of money for a cell phone that expensive- even if its an iPod.
post #32 of 33
P.s.- Now the Zune really sucks!
post #33 of 33
oh, and it might just be me, but those corner radius's (radii?) are kinda wide.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › High-quality images of Apple's iPhone (hardware)