or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some iPhone questions

Some iPhone questions

post #1 of 34
The phone has a SIM card slot? For what? Photos?

Will the phone have software updates like the iPods do, and if so, can new software features be addedfor example user's choice of Widgets.

Jobs said they will have a 3G version in the future. Does Cingular currently offer 3G?

What kind of monthly fee is a two year contract likely to cost?

How does one aim the camera? Is there some sort of onscreen viewfinder?

Where will I get the money to afford one?
post #2 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

The phone has a SIM card slot? For what? Photos?

Will the phone have software updates like the iPods do, and if so, can new software features be addedfor example user's choice of Widgets.

Jobs said they will have a 3G version in the future. Does Cingular currently offer 3G?

What kind of monthly fee is a two year contract likely to cost?

Where will I get the money to afford one?

-I think they use the SIM card to hold your information, such as phone#, contacts, and other phone related images. Though they could hold them on the hard drive, the whole purpose for a removable SIM card is that you can just move it to a different phone if your phone breaks, or you want a new one.

-I believe so, but I'm not sure

-Depending on the plan, it cold vary widely, going from $30 (wouldn't recommend) to very expensive. 800 miniute package for me is around $54 a month

-I'd assume you could just use the screen, like most camera phones, to see what you are going to take, then click a button on the touch screen, or maybe even the home key (Though I doubt that).

-Sell dru..... I mean... Get a job and work like an honourable citizen
post #3 of 34
does google maps offer audible turn by turn directions??
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
post #4 of 34
Does anyone know if the battery is easily replaceable?
post #5 of 34
1. I hope that the screen is scratch resistant (anything like the screen on the video-enabled iPod would be unacceptable).

2. Now that Mac only applications will run on this phone (ie Safari and perhaps iCal, iMail and iChat), will Apple release Windows versions of these programs? The phone runs OS X, and Windows users will be able to sync the phone via iTunes, so does this mean that iTunes will be used to enter contacts/calendar schedules (since Windows users don't have iCal, iMail, etc). I don't know.
post #6 of 34
Is there an option for voice dialing?

I don't like the idea of having to look at the screen while I'm driving
to find a number instead of just saying "Call Bob's cell".

Also, what about videogames? Will the games on iTunes have to be
retooled to work? I think that the iPhone has great potential as a
cool gaming portable. Imaging holding it in "landscape mode" &
playing a racing game. Tilting the controller would steer the car using
the accelerometer & it could have virtual acceleration & brake buttons.
A new version of Loco Roco would be sweet.
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
post #7 of 34
Quote:

According to Pogue's review in the NY Times, the whole screen turns into the view finder. He said it was shocking how big it looked, but that it was a bit slow in updating as you moved the camera around.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

1. I hope that the screen is scratch resistant (anything like the screen on the video-enabled iPod would be unacceptable).

2. Now that Mac only applications will run on this phone (ie Safari and perhaps iCal, iMail and iChat), will Apple release Windows versions of these programs? The phone runs OS X, and Windows users will be able to sync the phone via iTunes, so does this mean that iTunes will be used to enter contacts/calendar schedules (since Windows users don't have iCal, iMail, etc). I don't know.

1. Very Likely, 200 Patents or more are on this thing.

2. No. Apple can easily make them sync with Windows applications (IE7. Outlook Express, Why iChat?) so to answer your question no. The phone runs OS X, but either way they can make it sync. iTunes is just used to sync with it, but much of the data usually comes from elsewhere on the computer.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
post #9 of 34
voice dialing should be included i beleive, or itll be bluetooth through the head set (voice activated)

i beleive apps such as widget and more will be on the phone when released, its controversial right now people are saying no and yes but they really dont know

google maps is said to have GPS built in it at the keynote, not sure abotu the directions but they may implement that update once u get the phone or even after..

its steve jobs people of course the screen will be scratch resistance, or they will make a cover for it, somehting will happen that guy is a perfectionist...

battery is not replaceable its in the phone...

oh and all support/service will be handled through APPLE not cingular, theyd screw up, so dont worry they have great service 1 year warranty, i hope they bring applecare to the phone to extend to 3 year warranty, but cingular is only the network thats all
post #10 of 34
I hereby suggest extending the Temporary Insanity forum until June... it'll never stop, you know.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 34
I don't see iPhone syncing with Mail; it can just talk to your mail server directly. Thus it doesn't matter what mail client or OS you use on your computer.
post #12 of 34
Quote:

The phone has a SIM card slot? For what?

GSM phones are required to include a SIM slot; the SIM card stores your account information (e.g. your phone number and cellular carrier).
post #13 of 34
We won't really know all of the capabilities of the iPhone until june.

June is WWDC, my guess is that Apple will open up the iphone to developers then. Why give the competition a 5 month jump on production of their units. Apple will release the phone and the dev kit in june.

Also, did anyone notice the irony of having Steve partner with AT&T. Remember he used to sell the blue box, a device that would allow for hacking of the phone company's lines.
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Also, did anyone notice the irony of having Steve partner with AT&T. Remember he used to sell the blue box, a device that would allow for hacking of the phone company's lines.

Rich in irony and vitamins.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 34
haha thats funny...i liked on the keynote when his remote wasnt working and he gave that little comedy skit about how he had a television scrambler...and how he used to mess with his friends and make the tv scramble, theyd have to get up and mess with the tv and as soon as they got up hed turn it off and the tv would be ok, he said he did this with the guys a couple times, that would be a hilarious joke...i wish i knew how to do this stuff haha
post #16 of 34
Quote:

Yes, they do offer 3G. The question is where. What you need to do is go to Cingular.com, enter your zip code, and then select the 3G button. Their normal coverage area shows up as orange, and 3G coverage in blue. When I did it, there were a few tiny splotches on the map, which shows that there really isn't much 3G coverage in LA.
post #17 of 34
ya and thats a HUGE metroplitan area for cell phone users.....so i think apple is still right not including 3G in their networks as this will frustrate consumers when they realize 3G will be hardly of use when you have the phone in your hands....maybe if you live in Europe its a good thing but not here..not for a couple years..
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

According to Pogue's review in the NY Times, the whole screen turns into the view finder. He said it was shocking how big it looked, but that it was a bit slow in updating as you moved the camera around.

He added that the software isn't finished, and I suspect that's why Steve didn't demo the camera part, I know it was too dark, but he could have demo'd the software, and that's why he didn't.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I hereby suggest extending the Temporary Insanity forum until June... it'll never stop, you know.

I hereby agree! Hands up who's with us?
post #20 of 34
ya i think a lot of the things that werent demo'd are going to be in the works until release date..such as the much talked about third party apps...theyve gotta let that happen or else idk if ill get it..

YA OPEN THIS FORUM TILL JUNE PLLEEASSEE!!
post #21 of 34
Is there a vibrate function?

Is there a way to turn off the phone part while leaving the iPod part on? (Useful on planes.)
post #22 of 34
u mean flight mode...i think FCC is starting to make that an inclusion to smartphones...i do beleive a flight mode will be added, see its these small things we dont know about, but im sure it will be, and vibrate..im gonna venture to say that im 100% sure that will be included, like any other phone
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

u mean flight mode...i think FCC is starting to make that an inclusion to smartphones...i do beleive a flight mode will be added, see its these small things we dont know about, but im sure it will be, and vibrate..im gonna venture to say that im 100% sure that will be included, like any other phone

Guranteed, in the Keynote Steve mentioned the little Switch on the side to turn the Ringer off, and Vibrate, and that stuff. As for Flight Mode, it will likely be included (just like GPS) but it wasn't important enough to mention.

Sebastian
post #24 of 34
I don't remember hearing anything about vibrate.
post #25 of 34
Quote:

I don't remember hearing anything about vibrate.

It's there, just watch the iPhone part of the Keynote and try to locate the part just before they start flipping it around.

Sebastian
post #26 of 34
Just to clear things up: the SIM card is a smartcard that holds the information that lets you connect to the network. it holds the info about your plan and tells the tower its UID which is used to rout calls/data to it.

It is not data storage at all, think of it like the access card in a Directv or Dish Network setup.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

It is not data storage at all, think of it like the access card in a Directv or Dish Network setup.

Um, except it can store your phonebook data too.
post #28 of 34
Cingular has 3G in Sacramento and not LA?

Wow.

http://www.cingular.com/coverageview...5826&x=38&y=13
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

It's there, just watch the iPhone part of the Keynote and try to locate the part just before they start flipping it around.

Sebastian

Would you mind giving me the time, cause I don't see it.
post #30 of 34
it has vibrate man dont worry haha what phone doesnt...the thing on the side is the volume switch which im sure u can switch to vibrate..
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Cingular has 3G in Sacramento and not LA?

Wow.

http://www.cingular.com/coverageview...5826&x=38&y=13

haha ya i live near LA and i was surprised we dont have any type of 3G here...thats why i find it useless to be on the iphone because its barely anywhere in the US besides new york and some capitals, like sacramento...i mean cmon if LA doesnt even have it then its not big yet..lol LA is one of the biggest cities of cell phone users
post #32 of 34
Quote:

Would you mind giving me the time, cause I don't see it.

Damn, I thought he said Vibrate. He said Ring and Silent though. I highly doubt Apple would overlook Vibrate though.

It starts at 12:00 and should appear within 30 Seconds or a little more. This is of course Clicking the second Keynote Option "iPhone Introduction"

Sebastian
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

Is there an option for voice dialing?

I don't like the idea of having to look at the screen while I'm driving
to find a number instead of just saying "Call Bob's cell".

Also, what about videogames? Will the games on iTunes have to be
retooled to work? I think that the iPhone has great potential as a
cool gaming portable. Imaging holding it in "landscape mode" &
playing a racing game. Tilting the controller would steer the car using
the accelerometer & it could have virtual acceleration & brake buttons.
A new version of Loco Roco would be sweet.

According to David Pogue's blog there is no voice dialing option &
no videogames on the iPhone...bummer.
post #34 of 34
he says theres no ichat either, if thats true im not getting the phone, theres already enough missing options but a phone that i own with AIM, never happen thats is my #1 communication tool...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some iPhone questions