or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some things the iPhone NEEDS, imo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Some things the iPhone NEEDS, imo

post #1 of 145
Thread Starter 
I'm in love with this thing, but I'm forcing myself NOT to buy it until a 2G iPhone is released. Here's a few things I'm looking for:

1. More storage -- I'd like to see more storage, along the lines of 16-32GB, or even that wonderful 60GB mini-HDD that Samsung is releasing
2. Utilization of WiFi -- Why not beat Zune at it's own game? Sync wirelessly with WiFi and/or Bluetooth with other phones and computers. Download something from the iTunes Store onto the iPhone and then sync it with the PC, and vice versa. Or how about iPhone-to-iPhone communication, much like what the Nintendo DS does.
3. 3G Network -- EDGE sucks. I use it on my Razr and it's HORRIBLE. 3G is the way to go, and I'm waiting for it.
4. More software -- I'd like to see AIM on my iPhone, even though I can just route my IMs to my phone and talk via SMS. Having an iPhone-tailored AIM would be perfect, I think.
5. Video camera -- I'm not sure if it has it or not, but I think the iPhone only has a 2mp camera. I'd like to see video functionality so that that wonderfully amazing widescreen could be put to even better use.

Don't get me wrong, like I said before, I'm in love with this thing, but I'd like to see a few of those aforesaid 5 things before I spend $600.
post #2 of 145
the iPhone doesn't have a photocamera at all, or???

I'd rather buy a very cheap photocamera which performs 10 times better than the latest photo-phone.
post #3 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

the iPhone doesn't have a photocamera at all, or???

I'd rather buy a very cheap photocamera which performs 10 times better than the latest photo-phone.

Yes, it does. A 2Mpix, lens is on the back. That probably outperforms your cheapo camera right there.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #4 of 145
1. Absolutely, yes, I can't agree more. I still can't help but thinking that 4 or 8gb is some cruel practical joke Steve Jobs played on me.

2. Well I will give you the downloading wirelessly from stores and the like, and device to device communication. I somehow think the phone to phone communication is something they wanted but when proposed the heads of several people at the record labels heads exploded. See what MS went through with the Zune for an example. Syncing wirelessly seems completely pointless however. Why wouldn't I want to dock it while I sync and get a bit of a battery recharge. Given the projected battery life of this device I will have to charge it 3 times a day anyhow.

3. I believe Jobs has already stated this was coming. I heard that yesterday stated on CNBC (not directly from Jobs mouth however). The justification I have heard (not from CNBC) was edge is more widespread than 3g, so while 3g is clearly better, it won't help out some guy in Idaho buying an iPhone who doesn't have access to a 3g network. And gen 1 is all about trying to give something to everyone.

4. Yes I see what you mean, and I think widgets are the means to accomplish this.

5. meh. I understand the desire here, but on the other hand i think cameras on phones are a scurge invented by evil french Canadians to waste valuable space that could have been used to put in a better antena to improve cell phone reception. The last thing I want is more space taken up for a video camera I also won't use as it absolutely stinks vs the performance and features of my camcorder.
post #5 of 145
Thread Starter 
Well, see, I like having a video camera on my phone for whenever I feel like taking a quick video. I'm not asking for some amazing HD recorder or anything, just a video camera which would take advantage of the widescreen and stuff like that.

And about the Widgets. See, I'm a PC user, and I'm completely unfamiliar with Mac software, so I didn't know you could make an AIM widget or whatever. That's pretty awesome. Oh, and btw, when I get this phone, I'll probably be switching to Mac w/ Boot Camp for my Windows apps.
post #6 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

I'm in love with this thing, but I'm forcing myself NOT to buy it until a 2G iPhone is released. Here's a few things I'm looking for:

1. More storage -- I'd like to see more storage, along the lines of 16-32GB, or even that wonderful 60GB mini-HDD that Samsung is releasing

16 GB is doable now. However, the iPhone doesn't have an HDD, so 60 is completely out of question at this point.

Quote:
2. Utilization of WiFi -- Why not beat Zune at it's own game? Sync wirelessly with WiFi and/or Bluetooth with other phones and computers.

I don't see the point of this as opposed to using Bluetooth for it, which already provides suitable profiles.

Quote:
Download something from the iTunes Store onto the iPhone and then sync it with the PC, and vice versa. Or how about iPhone-to-iPhone communication, much like what the Nintendo DS does.

iPhone-to-iPhone communication is essentially already there. It switches seamlessly between cellular and WiFi.

Quote:
3. 3G Network -- EDGE sucks. I use it on my Razr and it's HORRIBLE. 3G is the way to go, and I'm waiting for it.

Steve said 3G is coming somewhere down the road.

Quote:
4. More software -- I'd like to see AIM on my iPhone, even though I can just route my IMs to my phone and talk via SMS. Having an iPhone-tailored AIM would be perfect, I think.

Agreed, but there is no indication so far regarding third-party apps. Might be possible from day 1.

Quote:
5. Video camera -- I'm not sure if it has it or not, but I think the iPhone only has a 2mp camera. I'd like to see video functionality so that that wonderfully amazing widescreen could be put to even better use.

Video chat is pointless without 3G, though.
post #7 of 145
I think I may need to take back what I said about widgets. I read comments about it being a closed system. The implication seems to be there are widgets, yes, but it is closed to 3rd party development like the full blown OSX or yahoo widgets have.
post #8 of 145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Video chat is pointless without 3G, though.

Well, I'm not talking about video chat, I'm just talking about recording a movie and storing it, possibly sending it to someone via MMS. Video chat would be friggin awesome, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.
post #9 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

Well, I'm not talking about video chat, I'm just talking about recording a movie and storing it, possibly sending it to someone via MMS. Video chat would be friggin awesome, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

They almost for sure have that.

Hehe... I wonder if the iPhone has photobooth effects?
post #10 of 145
I don't get the demands for more memory. Compared to what? The iPhone has far more memory than any other smart phone on the market.

HDD is out for the time being for battery life reasons. Everybody's griping about the price, another 8 GB of flash memory isn't really going to help that out, is it? Memory will grow as flash prices come down and Apple can maintain its price point. Unless battery tech gets a lot better, don't look for HDD anytime soon. This isn't an iPod, which only has to do one thing and do it fairly simply.

As has been noted, not allowing wireless downloads is pretty clearly a recording industry thing, on account of there endless stupidity. I'm sure Apple has everything in place, if the record execs ever get their heads out of their asses.

I'm not very experienced with EDGE speeds, but I've read in several places that the real bottle-neck is the Blazer browser that typically is used. The consensus seems to be that while slower, it's not deal breaker slower and the trade-off in ubiquity and battery life makes sense.

The jury is out on how much access to developers and third party apps Apple will allow. Of course at this point they are keeping things in-house, it only makes sense. It seems pretty likely that things will open up as the platform matures.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #11 of 145
Quote:
I don't get the demands for more memory. Compared to what? The iPhone has far more memory than any other smart phone on the market.

They are comparing it to the iPod. Even if Steve announced it with 16GB I'm sure people would still complain.

Quote:
3G Network -- EDGE sucks. I use it on my Razr and it's HORRIBLE. 3G is the way to go, and I'm waiting for it

I'm hearing a lot of negative reviews about EDGE. Hopefully 3G will be available right away.

Quote:
The jury is out on how much access to developers and third party apps Apple will allow. Of course at this point they are keeping things in-house, it only makes sense. It seems pretty likely that things will open up as the platform matures.

Its difficult to tell with this one. Apple has been known to misdirect information and all out lie to enhance the oohh ahh factor when they officially announce products.

The fact that it uses widgets alone says it should be open to third party apps. It would be pretty frustrating to have favorite widgets or create useful widgets in Leopard but not be able to use them on the iPhone.

What do you do when you receive a word or excel document in your e-mail? They should allow the MacBU to provide word and excel for the iPhone. Closing the iPhone only hurts the platform as a whole.
post #12 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

They are comparing it to the iPod. Even if Steve announced it with 16GB I'm sure people would still complain.



I'm hearing a lot of negative reviews about EDGE. Hopefully 3G will be available right away.



Its difficult to tell with this one. Apple has been known to misdirect information and all out lie to enhance the oohh ahh factor when they officially announce products.

The fact that it uses widgets alone says it should be open to third party apps. It would be pretty frustrating to have favorite widgets or create useful widgets in Leopard but not be able to use them on the iPhone.

What do you do when you receive a word or excel document in your e-mail? They should allow the MacBU to provide word and excel for the iPhone. Closing the iPhone only hurts the platform as a whole.

Well one of the reasons they chose Mac OS X for the iPhone was Cocoa so I doubt you'll be limited to Widgets.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #13 of 145
Whatever form of OS X this is, embedded, slimmed down or radically modified, it seems pretty likely that for Apple it represents a platform. iPhone for now, a family of computing appliances in the future.

Given that, it seems almost impossible that Apple won't allow third party apps and development for the platform, even if the iPhone is somewhat locked down in the near term.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #14 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla79 View Post

Here's a few things I'm looking for:
1. More storage

I think 8GB will do the job (for now), and we'll see more shortly. I am surprised that an 8GB Nano is $50 more than a 4GB Nano - but an 8GB iPhone is $100 more than a 4GB. What's up?

Quote:
2. Utilization of WiFi - Sync wirelessly with WiFi and/or Bluetooth with other phones and computers. Download something from the iTunes Store onto the iPhone and then sync it with the PC, and vice versa. Or how about iPhone-to-iPhone communication.

Interesting. phone-phone communication could allow network games. Being free communication though, we might use it too much and wipe out the battery.

I like the idea of downloading something from iTS onto the phone - then "sync purchases" back to iTunes. Could it equalise the information divide (so to speak) for people who can't get ADSL or cable? Imagine purchasing a season of a favourite show at home (on ISDN or dialup), having the iPhone be "on the lookout", and when you go near an Apple store or Cingular store, it connects via Wifi and downloads as much as it can.

Wifi voip calls would be good. Why fill the GSM network when you can use wifi?

Quote:
3. 3G Network.

Agreed. 3G is a requirement. It's being so heavily pushed here in Australia.

Quote:
4. More software -- I'd like to see AIM on my iPhone

I hope they'll allow 3rd party software. Integrating SMS-chat with iChat would be good. I can see some problems with letting anyone write anything - the ease of use might suffer!

Quote:
5. Video camera -- I'm not sure if it has it or not, but I think the iPhone only has a 2mp camera. I'd like to see video functionality so that that wonderfully amazing widescreen could be put to even better use.

2mp cameras in phones are typically crap. The lense is simply not good enough.
post #15 of 145
I'd rather write with a stylus than tap on a keyboard (even a virtual, beyond the state of the art keyboard).

Moreover, I'd really want to be able to sketch on it (directions, ideas, etc.) and then email the sketches. Furthermore, I'd rather be able to quickly write down new information in the same way that I would with a small pad of paper. To me, THAT'S intuitive.

So close, and yet so far...

Damn!
Damn!
Damn!

The Treos have styli and that's one of the best things about them.

V/R,
Aries 1B
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
Reply
post #16 of 145
Thread Starter 
Well, about the memory. I know that a HDD is out of the question, I just think that a 60GB miniHDD is amazing. But, hey, Sandisk just announced a 32GB SSD (solid state disk...flash memory) for $600, heh.

But seriously, I think more memory is required. My music collection does not touch most other people's (I have about 1500 songs), but it takes up far more than 4GB of memory, around 6, I think. Then that leaves me room for pictures I'd be taking with the phone and such. If they're touting the ability to play movies so much, why not make it so that one could take a sizable amount of movies with them?

I don't know, I think the iPhone is cool, but I'm gonna wait before I spend $600. Apple is notorious for releasing pretty good upgrades down the line, so I'll be waiting happily. That, and switching to a Mac laptop (whatever they're called) when I go to college this fall.
post #17 of 145
I am one of those pleading for more memory. The reason why is simple, I am looking at the device as a media player first with phone functionality thrown in. While some will look at that view in horror, it is a valid position. Sure as a smart phone it has terrific memory and the price is right in there with new smart phones hitting the market, it's terrific. But before I am sold on it as my next phone I need some more details that will surely come out in the next several months about it's corporate email abilities.
post #18 of 145
Quote:
I'd rather write with a stylus than tap on a keyboard (even a virtual, beyond the state of the art keyboard).

That's certainly a personal choice. Look at the market. No one else out side of Palm is adopting the stylus, QWERTY keyboards are far more popular.

Quote:
2mp cameras in phones are typically crap. The lense is simply not good enough.

The lens quality is not determined by the megapixels.
Megapixels in some ways mean nothing. The quality of the sensor is more important.

A 2MP sensor with higher quantization and better color sampling can easily beat a crappy 5MP sensor
post #19 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

I am one of those pleading for more memory. The reason why is simple, I am looking at the device as a media player first with phone functionality thrown in. While some will look at that view in horror, it is a valid position. Sure as a smart phone it has terrific memory and the price is right in there with new smart phones hitting the market, it's terrific. But before I am sold on it as my next phone I need some more details that will surely come out in the next several months about it's corporate email abilities.

Clearly the iPhone is not for you. It's a mobile communicator/web appliance with a Nano expressed in software.

I think we all agree the touch screen interface will migrate to the iPod line, from the top down. Might see the "true video" 60/80GB model sooner than later. As far as a mainly iPod model with phone ability "thrown in", I dunno. The phone/conectivity stuff is too elaborately worked out for Apple to settle for "iPod that can make a call", it looks like to me.

Like I say, it looks to be a platform, and just as Apple wouldn't be likely to sell laptops that dropped a bunch of functionality to keep the price and size down, I don't think they're keen to start chopping this thing up. The iPod is a special case because of its importance the overall Apple ecosystem.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #20 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

I'd rather write with a stylus than tap on a keyboard (even a virtual, beyond the state of the art keyboard).

Yeah that is surprising. Maybe it's too slow, or something?

I wouldn't mind making voice recordings. Click on a date in my calendar, talk into the phone, and fix it up manually when I get home. Same for replying to emails... how about record a voice-reply and email that?
post #21 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

1. Absolutely, yes, I can't agree more. I still can't help but thinking that 4 or 8gb is some cruel practical joke Steve Jobs played on me.

2. Well I will give you the downloading wirelessly from stores and the like, and device to device communication. I somehow think the phone to phone communication is something they wanted but when proposed the heads of several people at the record labels heads exploded. See what MS went through with the Zune for an example. Syncing wirelessly seems completely pointless however. Why wouldn't I want to dock it while I sync and get a bit of a battery recharge. Given the projected battery life of this device I will have to charge it 3 times a day anyhow.

3. I believe Jobs has already stated this was coming. I heard that yesterday stated on CNBC (not directly from Jobs mouth however). The justification I have heard (not from CNBC) was edge is more widespread than 3g, so while 3g is clearly better, it won't help out some guy in Idaho buying an iPhone who doesn't have access to a 3g network. And gen 1 is all about trying to give something to everyone.

4. Yes I see what you mean, and I think widgets are the means to accomplish this.

5. meh. I understand the desire here, but on the other hand i think cameras on phones are a scurge invented by evil french Canadians to waste valuable space that could have been used to put in a better antena to improve cell phone reception. The last thing I want is more space taken up for a video camera I also won't use as it absolutely stinks vs the performance and features of my camcorder.

agreed
1. space is ok would be nice it was at least 20gb tho..

2. i think this will actually end up being on the final product before launch date in june

3. ya i beleive you right, 3G is a waiste of time, ive only see it in NYC and NJ etc...its not even in Los Angeles, which is i beleive the 2nd biggest city of cell phone users, EDGE is widespread and more useful...

4. ya i dont care about the camera..i have a canon rebel for that...cameras on phones are good for quick shots to send to friends easily to show them something funny or familiar..like an inside joke, not to use for your science project or art show..
post #22 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

I am one of those pleading for more memory. The reason why is simple, I am looking at the device as a media player first with phone functionality thrown in.

Remember how small the first iPods HDD was, and where it's gone.

Are you saying you want everything an iPhone has, plus an internal HDD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think we all agree the touch screen interface will migrate to the iPod line, from the top down. Might see the "true video" 60/80GB model sooner than later.

I wonder how you'd make a "true video" 80GB model. The iPhone looks thicker than an iPod already. Do we want an iPod without phone/wifi/bluetooth? (thus also no internal speaker, microphone, or antennas) to which we add a hard disk and cache (for battery life). I assume it'd still be pretty expensive! (no phone contract to drop $500 from the cost). Do we still want OSX on the device for iTunes, calendar etc? Applets wouldn't work, nor web, email etc... but I guess if we want the rest we need the same chip set.

I don't think we'll see a "true video" model anymore. A longshot might be an iPhone with everything except the phone. It could use bluetooth to get net access via your existing phone or computer (or wifi otherwise?). You could even make calls via bluetooth (can bluetooth headsets make their phone dial a certain number?) Without an internal phone/antenna, there might be room for a HDD. I have my doubts though.

--- stop the press
I'm wrong. maybe.

Apple got patents for having a touch pad around the sides of a screen right? Is it possible they could have a full screen ipod that uses those touch pads? Most of steve's finger gestures would have worked if done on the edge of the screen too - eg scrolling down songs would use the touchpad down the right hand side (just slide on the touchpad). Play, stop, forward, back could be at the bottom of the screen...

I need to watch the demo again, could every finger movement (for the iPod functions) could be replicated with a touch pad on the outside. If so a cheaper/simpler device might be quite possible.
post #23 of 145
Request:
Make the QUERTY-keyboard scale (grow) when the iPhone is flipped into landscape.
It would definitely make it easier to type text...
post #24 of 145
Thread Starter 
I think we all have to keep in mind that the iPhone is nonetheless amazing. Look at where we are with the iPod. Back when it first came out, it was 5GB with a black and white screen. Now it's 80GB with a color screen that plays full movies. The iPhone is a fantastic first entry into the field, and it will only get better. However, I'm going to wait a little bit so technologies catch up so that I can justify myself spending $600 on a phone/mobile computer/smartphone/God's gift. Plus, I don't feel like starting a new contract with Cingular just yet, I need to be able to fund myself and see what kind of plans they'll be offering.

It's only a matter of time, so it's not like I'll be waiting forever. Apple's going to keep this thing rolling along.
post #25 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonius View Post

... evil french Canadians ...

wtf? I think there is enough enmity between Quebec and the rest of Canada without idiots like you peddling more hate. Why don't you go live in Montreal and spend some time getting to know some "evil French-Canadians." Perhaps you'll even come to appreciate their perspective on separation.
post #26 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I think 8GB will do the job (for now), and we'll see more shortly. I am surprised that an 8GB Nano is $50 more than a 4GB Nano - but an 8GB iPhone is $100 more than a 4GB. What's up?

This is just the way mark-up works. Apple's mark-up is a certain percentage of the cost of the device. Suppose that the mark-up is 25%. The Apple would sell a $160 device for $200, and a $320 device for $400; thus if you add a $40 component to each of these devices, the selling prices will be $250 and $500, respectively. This is how the price of the iPhone goes from $500 to $600 with the addition of the 4GB, when the price of the Nano only goes from $200 to $250 for the same increase in memory.
post #27 of 145
yeah out here in the southeast, 3g isn't very prevalent. Go to a cingular store and look at their 3g chart. I did when looking at getting a helio, but couldn't because I didn't have 3g in my area. ( south carolina )
3g would be nice, but they can't physically get enough towers up in time for launch of the iphone. although I am sure the iphone will spure cingular/at&t to adapt 3g much faster.
post #28 of 145
agreed, 3G is not even in los angeles where i live, thats rediculous, i think maybe version 2 of iphone, for now i think EDGE is a better idea so people dont get pist when they figure out they dont have 3G in their area and possibly waisted their money
post #29 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

Request:
Make the QUERTY-keyboard scale (grow) when the iPhone is flipped into landscape.
It would definitely make it easier to type text...

I thought about this too. Its a good idea.
How about a USB port so you could connect a keyboard and mouse to it??

I wonder if it would be sensible to add in handwriting recognition software so you could use a stylus pen to write stuff into documents or whatever???

I'm also wondering if this thing will come with a pda type app?


- Mark
post #30 of 145
iChat mobile not present? WTF, even the most basic phones do im now

windows mobile has office, iwork mobile necessary.

3G also needed, video chat would be awesome

Also, no mention of iPod game's compatibility. Imagine 3rd party modern games. playing GTA on your iphone! PSP watch out!

They should go with the Zune on the streaming

Bluetooth data transfer, at least contacts and cal, videos and music hopefully

Also, they need to figure out how to do a Wireless itunes store, even 2G phones allow some kind of music or video downloading

Love the iPhone, but the info wasn't detail enough to answer some questions.
post #31 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindlaub View Post

3G also needed, video chat would be awesome

Somebody said on Macdailynews that appleinsiders told him that 3G can be done via software. If true, great.

I like your idea on video chat. For the life of me, I don't understand why cell phones don't have this feature...
post #32 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindlaub View Post

iChat mobile not present? WTF, even the most basic phones do im now

windows mobile has office, iwork mobile necessary.

3G also needed, video chat would be awesome

Also, no mention of iPod game's compatibility. Imagine 3rd party modern games. playing GTA on your iphone! PSP watch out!

They should go with the Zune on the streaming

Bluetooth data transfer, at least contacts and cal, videos and music hopefully

Also, they need to figure out how to do a Wireless itunes store, even 2G phones allow some kind of music or video downloading

Love the iPhone, but the info wasn't detail enough to answer some questions.


iChat is on the phone no worries

and i agree i think he didnt mention more into detail about all this stuff because theres still a lot of time and work to do before release date..i think hes taking everyones feed back in and putting his people to place all this on the phone..who knows maybe 3G will be on the final release and it wil be open app..
post #33 of 145
Quote:
iChat mobile not present? WTF, even the most basic phones do im now.

iChat is being updated in Leopard. Its likely they are not ready to show it yet.
post #34 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Somebody said on Macdailynews that appleinsiders told him that 3G can be done via software. If true, great.

I like your idea on video chat. For the life of me, I don't understand why cell phones don't have this feature...

wow if it is done on software..which it probably will be because everything is pretty much software based on the cell network, then WOOHOO haha, but we still wont have the camera on the front of the phone for video conference, but then again who knows it may have it on the final release if people bug Jobs enough about 3G, if he realizes he is losing money because without 3G his 1% mark wont happen, he may very well implement it..
post #35 of 145
Quote:
I like your idea on video chat. For the life of me, I don't understand why cell phones don't have this feature...

Because its likely a battery killer. What would be the point of video communication if you can only talk for a few minutes.
post #36 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindlaub View Post

iChat mobile not present? WTF, even the most basic phones do im now

windows mobile has office, iwork mobile necessary.

3G also needed, video chat would be awesome

Also, no mention of iPod game's compatibility. Imagine 3rd party modern games. playing GTA on your iphone! PSP watch out!

They should go with the Zune on the streaming

Bluetooth data transfer, at least contacts and cal, videos and music hopefully

Also, they need to figure out how to do a Wireless itunes store, even 2G phones allow some kind of music or video downloading

Love the iPhone, but the info wasn't detail enough to answer some questions.

Of course it does IM. Nobody has called it "iChat Mobile" yet, but iChat bubble style IM was demoed.

The ability to open Office docs or a mobile iWork is a given, if not right off the bat.

See the remarks about 3G deployment in the posts above. Having the latest and greatest just to have it when most people in the US can't take advantage of it and it significantly impacts battery life is not smart, it's just spec whorage.

Games, also , just a matter of time.

A wireless iTunes store is almost certainly blocked by the record companies. The cell carriers can sell music from their stores because of truly draconian DRM. Wireless iTunes means syncing with your computer, moving things around, etc. Ditto wireless phone to phone transfer, which is why MS's implementation is so limited.

Bluetooth transfer of contacts is a must, however.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #37 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindlaub View Post

1.iChat mobile not present? WTF, even the most basic phones do im now

2.windows mobile has office, iwork mobile necessary.

3.3G also needed, video chat would be awesome

4.Also, no mention of iPod game's compatibility. Imagine 3rd party modern games. playing GTA on your iphone! PSP watch out!

5.They should go with the Zune on the streaming

6.Bluetooth data transfer, at least contacts and cal, videos and music hopefully

7.Also, they need to figure out how to do a Wireless itunes store, even 2G phones allow some kind of music or video downloading

Love the iPhone, but the info wasn't detail enough to answer some questions.

I numbered your points to make them easier to respond to

1. While it obviously didn't show up in our faces, I think SMS Chat was iChat. Obviously not iChat in the context of Audio/Video/Text through your AIM account, but more like iChat may see SMS features in Leopard, and SMS will act as a Text Chat.

2. Who actually uses Mobile versions of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint? May I ask why? I just can't see any use for them, and even then, the iPhone isn't exactly suited to any of these. Neither is any other phone out there. Oh, and iWork doesn't compete with Office, well Keynote could compete with Powerpoint, but my point is they don't compete, Apple isn't very competitive in Business world.

3. When 3G is actually more widespread, Steve will add 3G. So far it's Reach is not very far in the US, which is where it is launching first, and where Apple is located.

4. Hmm, no mention but we could still see them. Don't hold your breath for GTA though, the iPhone doesn't exactly appear to be well suited for any type of gaming beyond simple games in it's current form and design.

5. Nah, it's not needed.

6. Haha, this is probably going to see the light of day. If you have a Bluetooth enabled phone now you can sync it with your Mac in iSync.

7. Not needed.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #38 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

wow if it is done on software..which it probably will be because everything is pretty much software based on the cell network, then WOOHOO haha, but we still wont have the camera on the front of the phone for video conference, but then again who knows it may have it on the final release if people bug Jobs enough about 3G, if he realizes he is losing money because without 3G his 1% mark wont happen, he may very well implement it..

The Phone would have to have the Hardware already built into it to handle 3G via a simple Software Update.

His 1% market won't happen if he goes exclusively with 3G.

That is the final model, it was shown early not because it was unfinished, but because it has to be FCC approved.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #39 of 145
ya i agree on the the wireless transfer or itunes, it will most likely happen with calender/contacts/etc with bluetooth wireless sync, but the itunes, records companies have got to have stopped this, means you could just walk to anyone with itunes sync it and take music that costs $ for a single user, not 2....this was probably wanted by Jobs and denied by the record companies...but thats kind of good because most wireless things can be hacked i dont want people stealing music off my computer or even my phone which would probably be possible with wireless sync abilities
post #40 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The Phone would have to have the Hardware already built into it to handle 3G via a simple Software Update.

His 1% market won't happen if he goes exclusively with 3G.

That is the final model, it was shown early not because it was unfinished, but because it has to be FCC approved.

Sebastian

well i think 3G is just a bad idea..but im gonna go 50/50 on him placing hardware on the device for later 3G usages, he did say it was to come, maybe he is already implenting the hardware for it, hopefuly...

and i dont think it is the final device, he still has a while for FCC to approve it i think small things such as apps and gps on google maps as well as other cool feature may be included in the final design, especially the back of the phone, doesnt look finished at all to me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Some things the iPhone NEEDS, imo