or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › LCD defect on 15" MBP

LCD defect on 15" MBP

post #1 of 5
I noticed this issue with the LCD on my 15" Mac Book Pro. After stopping by 6 different apple stores, I noticed this same issue on EVERY 15" MBP i saw. The problem is these faint translucent horizontal lines which shoot out from the left and right hand corners of an open window all the way to the left and right hand extents of the screen. Though it occurs wherever there is significant contrast within a window, the following procedure reproduces it to a more noticeable level:

Open up text edit, fill every other line with the $ character (leave a blank line between every line of characters). Then make the text bold and underline it (this makes the contrast between the text and background greater). Finally change the background to "dark gray" or one of the dark colors and move the text editor around the screen. The contrast between the text and white text editor background makes this issue VERY pronounced. Look not at the application window, but to the left and right of the window as you move the window around the screen. You should notice dark translucent horizontal lines. Who else has a MBP suffering from this issue? and if you don't please post your build week and screen model.
post #2 of 5
I don't see it... I really don't know what exactly you're talking about though. OSX does use "faint translucent horizontal lines" in many places though...
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smax View Post

I don't see it... I really don't know what exactly you're talking about though. OSX does use "faint translucent horizontal lines" in many places though...

It's not a UI thing. Also, let me specify better, I've only seen it on the Core 2 Duo MBPs. It's fain translucent horizontal "ghost lines" which extend from the left and right of an open application window to the left and right of the screen. If you set your background color to dark gray, and follow the procedure mentioned above, if you have the issue you will notice faint horizontal lines which move with the Text Edit application as you move it around the screen.
post #4 of 5
Core Duo here, that may be why.
post #5 of 5
yea I don't think the Core Duos have this issue. Anyway, for anyone with a C2D, here's a test image. Just change the background color and open up this image and move it around the screen, it makes the problem apparent.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › LCD defect on 15" MBP