or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cingular stores buzzing with iPhone inquiries

Cingular stores buzzing with iPhone inquiries - Page 2

post #41 of 83
haha i wouldnt be surprised if google and iphone made a network to be honest...that would be cool
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How long will it take for Apple to buy out and build up it's own network... hmm... oh, Google!

Remember last year Apple purchased some huge data centers that had everyone scratching their heads. Now knowing the iPhone has been in development for 2+ years...I could see this happening!
post #43 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

Remember last year Apple purchased some huge data centers that had everyone scratching their heads. Now knowing the iPhone has been in development for 2+ years...I could see this happening!

Look what Apple did with Motorola. They let Moto build a crummy phone and they learned from it. Now, they'll find out everything from Cingular, then cut their legs out from under them. I'm tellin' ya, Steve is cleverer than ever. Cingular has no vision and no long view of their business like Apple does.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 83
Quote:

How long will it take for Apple to buy out and build up it's own network... hmm... oh, Google!

I guess Apple has no plans to become an MVNO as long as the current and future carriers agree to improve things where Jobs sees fit. He may be a the Hitler of Technology, but I like his vision. Does that make me an iNazi.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #45 of 83
Could Apple buy Cingular?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Could Apple buy Cingular?

You tell me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless

PS:"AT&T Wireless merger

After a bidding war with Britain's Vodafone PLC, Cingular announced in February, 2004 that it would purchase AT&T Wireless for 41 billion dollars.
AT&T Wireless logo
Cingular Wireless logo

The merger was completed on October 26, 2004. The combined company had a customer base of 46 million people, which placed Cingular as the largest wireless provider in the United States.

Cingular has launched a high-speed network known as "BroadbandConnect," based on UMTS and High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), to counter Verizon Wireless and Sprint's EV-DO networks. UMTS service was launched on December 6, 2005 in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, San Jose, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore and Washington D.C. Cingular is expected to launch UMTS in all major metropolitan markets by the end of 2006."
post #47 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You tell me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless

PS:"AT&T Wireless merger

After a bidding war with Britain's Vodafone PLC, Cingular announced in February, 2004 that it would purchase AT&T Wireless for 41 billion dollars.
AT&T Wireless logo
Cingular Wireless logo

The merger was completed on October 26, 2004. The combined company had a customer base of 46 million people, which placed Cingular as the largest wireless provider in the United States.

Cingular has launched a high-speed network known as "BroadbandConnect," based on UMTS and High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), to counter Verizon Wireless and Sprint's EV-DO networks. UMTS service was launched on December 6, 2005 in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, San Jose, San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Austin, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore and Washington D.C. Cingular is expected to launch UMTS in all major metropolitan markets by the end of 2006."

Perhaps not! Well, it reads like Steve cozied up to a friendly Gorilla
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #48 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My concern is over battery life. Some of you have mentioned that 4GGB/8GB on the iPhone was necessitated by the need to use the less power-hungry flash drives as in the Nano.

But the new Nanos with the flash drive give me 20+ hours of battery life.

I supposedly get 5 hours of video time (or 12+ hours of audio time) on my 60GB iPod with video (Apple's claim; actual life is a bit less).

So, the question is, why am I getting only the equivalent of my spinning HD-based battery life on a flash-based product? Is it perhaps that Apple is finally being honest on this issue? What else is sucking up all the extra battery life on the iPhone?

The iPhone is supposed to get 16 hours of audio time. That's less than the 20 hours but it does have a much nicer touch screen.

The 5 hours of talk time is at the high end of the cell industry. A friend of mine who used to work for Nokia on power mgmt said if true, it would be outstanding.
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
"you will know the truth, and the truth will
set you free."
post #49 of 83
I hope it has a way to record phone conversations. I know many softphones have this feature, but does any current smartphone have this feature?
post #50 of 83
Quote:

I hope it has a way to record phone conversations. I know many softphones have this feature, but does any current smartphone have this feature?

Yeah, it needs Ovolab's software.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #51 of 83
I wonder if you can just just keep converging calls among other iPhones? How many conversations can we daisy chain before we bring down Cingular's network?
post #52 of 83
haha i think u can only merge 2 calls together...but maybe im wrong
post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

haha i think u can only merge 2 calls together...but maybe im wrong

Per phone, but the second caller would only have one outgoing call so if he got another call he could merge them like Jobs did with his incoming call.
post #54 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is Windows Mobile really closed? I knew a couple people that programmed for it using the regular Visual Studio bundle, no secret society, no hazing, nothing special.

As I said they SELL THE IDE...it is called VS2005, in the high end package, it has a mobile dev tool.

Closed, the way that I read it here, and in the way that Palm, Windows Mobile and Blackberry are closed, means that there will be no open sister project, no Darwin Mobile...that is perfectly understandable, you cant have people f---ing with the firmware that drives their new $600 toy that they pay $$$/Mo for and has to stay within certin FCC regulations...(Example: Apple does not want someone to mod the firmware to triple the signal output, thus violating FCC policy and making the device illegal.)
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
You can't quantify how much I don't care -- Bob Kevoian of the Bob and Tom Show.
post #55 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

As I said they SELL THE IDE...it is called VS2005, in the high end package, it has a mobile dev tool.

Closed, the way that I read it here, means that there will be no open sister project, no Darwin Mobile...that is perfectly understandable, you cant have people f---ing with the firmware that drives their new $600 toy that they pay $$$/Mo for and has to stay within certin FCC regulations...(Example: Apple does not want someone to mod the firmware to triple the signal output, thus violating FCC policy and making the device illegal.)

OK, then I guess you have a very different definition then. I see "closed" as in you have to get the device maker's permission to even get the software on the device period, assuming they let anyone near it, and assuming they do, pay said maker for every copy sold after signing some self-flaggelating contract.

That's too common and I would not be at all surprised to see Apple do that. For example, there is no authorized SDK available for iPods at any price that I'm aware of, and they may very well continue that particular legacy. Frankly, I really don't think Newsweek had a situation like OpenDarwin in mind when asking about the openness of the platform. At any rate, we'll have to wait for some sort of clarification.
post #56 of 83
Quote:

i agree with everything you have said auxio, except that last part, i guess Job's said it will be closed app on newsweek

oh, ok, i didn't know that. i guess he wants to try and keep the interface as elegant as possible. however, i'm of the opinion that if people really want to clutter their phone up with extra apps, you should let them. just don't allow the apps to be integrated into the main workings of the phone (ie. making the phone unstable).
Quote:
but he did say that widgets will become the future of apps and most things should be created on widgets

i hope he's talking about the phone and not Mac OS X in general.

from my perspective, widgets are just glorified web applications, and not every app in the world fits well through the web browser orifice... err... interface.
Quote:
and he also said that if third parties did want to create products, they would have to go through apple and have permission along with a Q&A time about the software...at least everything will be clean and not buggy on the phone, my Dash has a lot of things i put on myself and the phone now works half the time..kind of sucks

that sucks (the part about having to work with Apple). can't they just make the environment in which 3rd party apps/widgets run protected so that the apps can't possibly mess up the main workings of the phone? and if developers need to integrate their apps more tightly with the phone hardware or OS, then they'll need to contact Apple about it?

i mean, consider if people want to develop games and such. most phone OSes nowadays just force them to use Java or a similar type of sandbox. if it's shoddily written, then it'll simply defecate in it's own sandbox and not affect anything else on the system.

that's the way to go IMO. it's strange that Apple isn't going in that direction. maybe the dev environment isn't ready yet?

post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

from my perspective, widgets are just glorified web applications, and not every app in the world fits well through the web browser orifice... err... interface.

Ick. Widgets have their place, though I wish they were easier to kill and start up, for being the biggest waste of RAM I've seen for offering so little functionality per widget, from first or third party. Given the device involved, widget-type software probably should be more prominent, but I just don't see them as a universal substitute for an app.

Quote:
that's the way to go IMO. it's strange that Apple isn't going in that direction. maybe the dev environment isn't ready yet?

I'm hoping it's this, but I'm not feeling optimistic that it will happen.
post #58 of 83
I read an article by NYTimes just now, the editor handled the phone for about an hour asked lots of questions. Apple told them that the software is not ready at all there is much more to be added until release day, so im going to guess a lot more features that we could fathom will be on the iPhone. I beleive more is to come on these phones software-wise and even after launch date i think a lot of surprises will pop up that will magically let you place on your phone through itunes, and through updates through mac (kind of like how your computer and its applications check for updates daily). Gonna be great times for Apple
post #59 of 83
Quote:

Ick. Widgets have their place, though I wish they were easier to kill and start up, for being the biggest waste of RAM I've seen for offering so little functionality per widget, from first or third party.

Widgets take up like 1 or 2 MB RAM each. What a waste :/
post #60 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My concern is over battery life. Some of you have mentioned that 4GGB/8GB on the iPhone was necessitated by the need to use the less power-hungry flash drives as in the Nano.
So, the question is, why am I getting only the equivalent of my spinning HD-based battery life on a flash-based product? Is it perhaps that Apple is finally being honest on this issue? What else is sucking up all the extra battery life on the iPhone?

WiFi and Bluetooth suck a lot of power. Also, when the cell phone radio is in operation and talking to the towers, it also sucks a lot of power. Most current cell phones can remain in standby mode for days, but continous talk time is usually in the 5 to 8 hour range.
post #61 of 83
Quote:

Is Windows Mobile really closed? I knew a couple people that programmed for it using the regular Visual Studio bundle, no secret society, no hazing, nothing special.

Considering that the iPod now supports games made by other developers, I don't think that the iPhone will be totally closed. However, if this article about developing iPod games is relatively accurate, Apple doesn't necessarily make it easy for developers for their embedded OSes.
http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/09...ipod/index.php
post #62 of 83
Quote:

Windows Mobile allows any binary compiled for the WinCE API to run natively on it. As far as I know, only the official Visual Studio releases allow access to it. But if you have the correct headers and start-up code, I don't see why you couldn't compile stuff for it using arm-gcc.

It also supports the .NET Compact Framework. This is a subset of the .NET framework used on regular Windows machines as a "managed" alternative to the Win32 API, and it's somewhat akin to Java in that it's intermediately compiled to a machine-independent bytecode. The .NET runtime's CLR recompiles it just-in-time to the native instruction set and provides access to a standardized API. In that way, it's somewhat akin to Java except the just-in-time native code is cached for faster runtimes in subsequent runs, and it's somewhat akin to Rosetta on Mac OS X, except that .NET's bytecode will not run natively on any of the supported machines.

Any development suite which allows writing programming of .NET applications could theoretically be used to develop applications which will run on both Windows Mobile and "regular" Windows with a single bytecode, as long as you limit yourself to linking against classes which exist in the Compact Framework. Since the Compact Framework and associated headers are freely downloadable from Microsoft's website, verifying this limitation isn't a problem.

There are several freely-available SDKs available which allow you to develop .NET applications, and most of them are not as inflexible as Microsoft's free offering, Visual Studio Express 2005. (IIRC, Visual Studio Express adds artificial restrictions which would prevent you from linking against the .NET Compact framework.) SharpDevelop, for example, doesn't have that restriction. However, there are still some Do-It-Yourself steps required before you can get things fully working.
post #63 of 83
Quote:

OK, then I guess you have a very different definition then. I see "closed" as in you have to get the device maker's permission to even get the software on the device period, assuming they let anyone near it, and assuming they do, pay said maker for every copy sold after signing some self-flaggelating contract.

That's too common and I would not be at all surprised to see Apple do that. For example, there is no authorized SDK available for iPods at any price that I'm aware of, and they may very well continue that particular legacy. Frankly, I really don't think Newsweek had a situation like OpenDarwin in mind when asking about the openness of the platform. At any rate, we'll have to wait for some sort of clarification.

there is no SDK for the Dell/Creative/brand-x mp3 player, afaik, there is no SDK for Zune...but a smartphone is soooo much more...it is kindof pointless without 3rd party apps...imagine, no pith helmet for Safari, no in-house tools for big companies (think an inventory database viewer/searcher for the supply manager at a factory), no Delicious Library tool, no chance to use the wifi functionality to integrate into home automation...

MP3-players by nature are not connected...this is a connected device, no way to make 3rd party apps means I (and MANY other Apple fans who are not koolaid drinkers) will not buy one because I can live with my razer and $500 in my pocket.

Apple said that there would be no iPhone for years, Apple said No video ipod...Apple said no iPod for windows, Apple said NO fuullscreen without QT Pro, then put full screen in iTunes...Apple lies through their teeth, particularly when the devices in question have yet to ship...

Like I said...WWDC One more thing...
post #64 of 83
I apologize if this has been brought up earlier ... but I bet this is the first of several new iPods, this one happens to be the one with phone and internet... surely there is also a 'iPod Video Wide Screen' $199-299 depending on HD just around the corner too? Or is Steve worried it would slow sales of iPhone?

Here is another tangential comment... I am sick to death of non www compliant web sites (Realtor MLS systems are prime examples of Active X maniacs). Maybe in a few years if iPhones + Safari are as ubiquitous as iPods are now it may force the end to Mac marginalization (is that a word?). OK just a hope
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #65 of 83
Quote:

there is no SDK for the Dell/Creative/brand-x mp3 player, afaik, there is no SDK for Zune...but a smartphone is soooo much more...it is kindof pointless without 3rd party apps...imagine, no pith helmet for Safari, no in-house tools for big companies (think an inventory database viewer/searcher for the supply manager at a factory), no Delicious Library tool, no chance to use the wifi functionality to integrate into home automation...

MP3-players by nature are not connected...this is a connected device, no way to make 3rd party apps means I (and MANY other Apple fans who are not koolaid drinkers) will not buy one because I can live with my razer and $500 in my pocket.

Apple said that there would be no iPhone for years, Apple said No video ipod...Apple said no iPod for windows, Apple said NO fuullscreen without QT Pro, then put full screen in iTunes...Apple lies through their teeth, particularly when the devices in question have yet to ship...

Like I said...WWDC One more thing...

I can't wait for WWDC!

Yes, "NO" in SJ lingo means "NO...t yet"
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #66 of 83
I think Apple will sell iPhone widgets on iTunes for $.99. The time it takes to make a quality widget, compared with the 100s of thousands (if not millions) of customers who will buy them, makes them the first thing on iTunes that Apple will really make a huge profit from.

Sure, we kow they are at least breaking operating in the black with iTunes, buy tiny Java app that is only a few Kilobytes to DL and takes only a couple hours to create something that will be pure profit.

For instance, If I were traveling, which I do several times a year, I'd pay a small fee to have the Flight Tracker and Translator widgets on my iPhone. Something like the Unit Convertor isn't something I need much, except for currency comparison, but I'd still even pay a small fee for that, too.
post #67 of 83
Quote:

As far as I know, that would be illegal, unless you notify the other party every time you spoke to them and recorded it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #68 of 83
Quote:

As far as I know, that would be illegal, unless you notify the other party every time you spoke to them and recorded it.

Not true. Recorded calls aren't admissible in a court of law in US if the party was not made aware, but there is no law saying that you can't record a conversation for your own benefit.
post #69 of 83
Quote:

Not true. Recorded calls aren't admissible in a court of law in US if the party was not made aware, but there is no law saying that you can't record a conversation for your own benefit.

Thanks for the clarification.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #70 of 83
Funny thing. Here, cingular don't lock their phones. I have a Motorola MPx220 smartphone and my brother has some type of T-mobile smartphone. We changed sim cards, my phone worked with his sim, but his phone didn't work with my sim. Question is, why would apple give a shit about the phone being unlocked.
post #71 of 83
because they dont want people coming to them with problems because nothing works and because it wont work, haha the phone is not unlockable it has hardware that detects it from being unlocked and will not allow you to use the ipod or any of the features, u wont be able to get passed the warning it will probably show
post #72 of 83
Didn't a law just pass where all phones must be unlockable.
Quote:

because they dont want people coming to them with problems because nothing works and because it wont work, haha the phone is not unlockable it has hardware that detects it from being unlocked and will not allow you to use the ipod or any of the features, u wont be able to get passed the warning it will probably show
post #73 of 83
Quote:
I think Apple will sell iPhone widgets on iTunes for $.99.

I hope not. It sets a bad president. The widget platform should remain free.
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I hope not. It sets a bad president. The widget platform should remain free.

Bad president, bad president!...woof!

Bad presidents set a bad precedent, also.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post

If it's based on Mac OS, then I'm sure that Apple will be happy to provide developer tools for it once it's released. After all, the more cool applications/widgets/etc which are developed for the phone, the more phones they'll sell. I can't see why they'd keep it as a closed development environment after it's been released to the public.

That's what makes logical sense, but as it happens they've already said they won't do that.

Amorya
post #76 of 83
Quote:

I wonder if you can just just keep converging calls among other iPhones? How many conversations can we daisy chain before we bring down Cingular's network?

Merging calls isn't an iPhone only feature. Any crappy Nokia will do it.

(My record is six, as it happens, before Orange lost track.)

Amorya
post #77 of 83
Quote:
That's what makes logical sense, but as it happens they've already said they won't do that.

Just like Jobs said video is unnecessary on the iPod and Apple would not make iPods with flash drives.

There really is no telling what they will do.
post #78 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Didn't a law just pass where all phones must be unlockable.

no no one has to unlock any phone, they just have to have the ability to port the numbers, and for that you have to check on too, but who knows
post #79 of 83
Ok this is the new law i'm talking about. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._unlock28.html They don't have to unlock it for you, but if you decide to unlock it, you're not breaking any type of laws. I wonder how Apple will get around this.
Quote:

no no one has to unlock any phone, they just have to have the ability to port the numbers, and for that you have to check on too, but who knows
post #80 of 83
oh ya theres no law against unlocking phones, companies do it all the time and if you know how you can...problem is apple implemented things that wont allow this, i guess as soon as the phone acknowledges your not on cingular you cant even get to the ipod or any other functions...and i heard steve said theres no way to bypass this..but then again theyres some crazy hackers
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cingular stores buzzing with iPhone inquiries