or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iChat on iPhone?!

iChat on iPhone?!

post #1 of 14
ok so this is basically the deal-breaker for me, if the phone does not have iChat there is not way i am going to buy the phone, because without iChat i highly doubt any type of AIM will be included on the phone and that it is my #1 communicator tool with people, David Pogues new blog suggests there is no iChat but im praying it will be on the final release or if anyone knows more information id appreciate it! Thanks -Daniel
post #2 of 14
I can't believe it either. SMS? Pffff.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #3 of 14
There's pluses and minuses to both. A phone will always receive SMS text. iChat will only work if the second party is logged into AIM.
post #4 of 14
Can you not send SMS in another chat application? Who says Apple will not incorporate that into the Leopard version of iChat. Being that it's upgradable via software updates, I was immediately thinking that with Leopard Apple could probably enable receiving Video Messaging from iChat on iPhone.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

post #5 of 14
You can send sms (and receive replys) from iChat. Just start a new chat and put the phone number as the name (+18885551212)
post #6 of 14
ya but we dont know if they are including ichat on the iphone thats the problem...and without ichat theres no instant messaging, only text which is boring and stupid, i like to see people online on AIM and stuff, and im sure they wouldnt replace ichat with another AIM client, no way ichat is apples baby of IM
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

ya but we dont know if they are including ichat on the iphone thats the problem...and without ichat theres no instant messaging, only text which is boring and stupid, i like to see people online on AIM and stuff, and im sure they wouldnt replace ichat with another AIM client, no way ichat is apples baby of IM

I'm not sure I understand what it is your saying? SMS, and IM is pretty much the same AFAIAC. Even though SMS will take a second longer to send, and receive it's still the same thing just using a different place to transfer from. Phone vs. computer.
onlooker

onlooker

post #8 of 14
ya thats what i mean, every phone has SMS now...ya i can go ahead and just send something to a contact in my phone, this is completely different than being on a IM client like AIM (iChat)...where you can see who is online (if you dont have every persons phone number just go to your buddy list and say whats up)...this is what is important , text is blah who cares about that much, i mostly do coverging over AIM and people that i know in college are all pretty much the same...and i hope the IM client runs over data not SMS cus SMS is slow not INSTANT
post #9 of 14
I also don't care about the IM or texting features... Just give me a cool phone that works, baby.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #10 of 14
haha i know i love the phone ...but i need IM thats how i communicate with friends and family, its important for me to be honest, i will most likely get the phone without it but i wont be happy until a software update put thats baby on their as well...im crossing my fingers that its included it would make that phone perfect for me
post #11 of 14
Yes i hope that Apple will endorse some sort of instant messaging service for the network. Although my fear is that if they do they will use yahoo messanger. Although i hardleyuse yahoo messenger, its msn all the time lol so i could be screwed.
post #12 of 14
They said this phone wouldn't have "baby stuff" like other phones. And yet gee, even my shitty phone I paid NOTHING for has AIM. This is PATHETIC and there is NO excuse not to have iChat. Among many, many, many other things. I still can't believe how crappy this iPhone thing is. I too really really want to see who's online, and perhaps get notifications if certain things happen like certain people sign on/off go away/come back etc. Perhaps even send files, do Conferences, all the things you're used to on a computer. In fact hey, even AUDIO CHAT over Wifi if it's available. A network phone! Save $$$$! Of course Cingular/other carriers wouldn't allow that, and Apple succumbs to The Man these days. But I can dream right? That'd be cool. And hey, even video chat on iChat. I mean with today's speeds, Wifi, etc, why would that not be possible?
That would be an example of "grown up stuff." Seriously, this is so ridiculous. I really hope they change a lot before this thing is released, for Apple's/AAPL's sake.
post #13 of 14
Well ichat is useless in europe because it doesn't support msn... (which most people use here...)

If the iphone runs osx, it could run osx-programs, probably a rewritten version. Question is that apple will allow users to install applications or not. I see no reason not to do so. Nokia's have this ability...

Sure the iphone looks good, but it's just a regular phone without a keyboard and nicely thought-of applications.
Shit Happens
Shit Happens
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

They said this phone wouldn't have "baby stuff" like other phones. And yet gee, even my shitty phone I paid NOTHING for has AIM. This is PATHETIC and there is NO excuse not to have iChat. Among many, many, many other things. I still can't believe how crappy this iPhone thing is. I too really really want to see who's online, and perhaps get notifications if certain things happen like certain people sign on/off go away/come back etc. Perhaps even send files, do Conferences, all the things you're used to on a computer. In fact hey, even AUDIO CHAT over Wifi if it's available. A network phone! Save $$$$! Of course Cingular/other carriers wouldn't allow that, and Apple succumbs to The Man these days. But I can dream right? That'd be cool. And hey, even video chat on iChat. I mean with today's speeds, Wifi, etc, why would that not be possible?
That would be an example of "grown up stuff." Seriously, this is so ridiculous. I really hope they change a lot before this thing is released, for Apple's/AAPL's sake.

hmm seems like every thread your in you have to say negative stuff about the iphone..dont buy it no one cares...im sure a lot of stuff will end up being placed on the phone, just because its going to FCC doesnt mean its not done being worked on
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iChat on iPhone?!