or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › $600 for iPhone WITH subscrition?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$600 for iPhone WITH subscrition?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I read on a online article that the iPhone will be $600 WITH a 2 year contract and that it only applies to new subscribers. I wonder how much te retail price of the iPhone is... $800?!?!

Any comments?
post #2 of 11
The retail price of the phone will be... $600. Cingular has an exclusive with Apple for the first couple of years, so I don't believe you'll be *able* to buy it except with that contract, at least in the US.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #3 of 11
Simple to calculate...

Price of phone + Cost of breaking/canceling your contract and having to pay the ETF (early termination fee - which I believe is $250 bucks?)

So:

600 + 250 = 850

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #4 of 11
Seeing as how Apple retail stores will be selling iPhone alongside the Cingular stores, I think you'll be able to buy unlocked from Apple Store. I just don't see Apple employees activating my Cingular contract at an Apple store. I could be wrong, though.
Founder, TechNest Report - a tech blog, podcast, and TV channel that covers the tech industry from head to toe.
Podcast is recorded LIVE M-S at 5:30p EST. Please subscribe. Follow me on Twitter
Reply
Founder, TechNest Report - a tech blog, podcast, and TV channel that covers the tech industry from head to toe.
Podcast is recorded LIVE M-S at 5:30p EST. Please subscribe. Follow me on Twitter
Reply
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Seeing as how Apple retail stores will be selling iPhone alongside the Cingular stores, I think you'll be able to buy unlocked from Apple Store. I just don't see Apple employees activating my Cingular contract at an Apple store. I could be wrong, though.

Yep, you're wrong.

It's very simple. I don't know why people find it difficult to grasp.

When you buy an iPhone, you have to sign up to a two-year contract with Cingular. The iPhone will be locked so you won't be able to use it with any other GSM carrier in the U.S. So ending your Cingular contract would be pretty pointless.

See here.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The iPhone will be locked so you won't be able to use it with any other GSM carrier in the U.S. So ending your Cingular contract would be pretty pointless.

It is always possible to unlock a phone. There are very valid reasons for having your phone unlocked. Your carrier always has the unlock codes for your phone. They may not be willing to give them to you, but they have them; and eventually, the codes get out.

Now, are you going to be able to sign up with Cingular in June to get the iPhone, get the unlock code for the phone, and cancel your plan the next day so that you can put the phone on T Mobile's network? Not likely. Would you be able to do the same in June 2008? Very likely; though I don't understand why you would.

And if you have been a Cinglular customer for a number of years and have a valid reason for asking them to unlock your phone (You will be on a school exchange in France for three months and don't want to buy a new handset to use over there, for instance), then Cingular will likely be quite happy to unlock your phone. The reason that they give you a locked phone is so they're not subsidizing their competetors, so if your history with their company is good, they have nothing to fear.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Yep, you're wrong.

It's very simple. I don't know why people find it difficult to grasp.

When you buy an iPhone, you have to sign up to a two-year contract with Cingular. The iPhone will be locked so you won't be able to use it with any other GSM carrier in the U.S. So ending your Cingular contract would be pretty pointless.

See here.

I understand it perfectly. Here's what I was saying in case you didn't get it: people will buy the iPhone at Apple stores. So Apple will have to take care of the Cingular crap (contract, minutes, data, activation, etc.) at the Apple Store. For some reason I see this being diffucult for Apple to do. Besides the fact that the stupid IS** software runs on Windows ONLY (ok they can use BootCamp), there will need to be training, etc. of Apple employees of how to do it.

Also, recent FCC rulings have said that a user has the full right to get their phone unlocked and if requested, the carrier will have to supply the code. I don't think Jobs won't sell the phone unlocked. If he sells it only with Cingular, good luck attaining the 1% marketshare.
Founder, TechNest Report - a tech blog, podcast, and TV channel that covers the tech industry from head to toe.
Podcast is recorded LIVE M-S at 5:30p EST. Please subscribe. Follow me on Twitter
Reply
Founder, TechNest Report - a tech blog, podcast, and TV channel that covers the tech industry from head to toe.
Podcast is recorded LIVE M-S at 5:30p EST. Please subscribe. Follow me on Twitter
Reply
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexluft View Post


Also, recent FCC rulings have said that a user has the full right to get their phone unlocked and if requested, the carrier will have to supply the code. I don't think Jobs won't sell the phone unlocked. If he sells it only with Cingular, good luck attaining the 1% marketshare.

Post a link to that FCC ruling...as I would love to bring it into a cingular store when i go buy my iPhone.
post #9 of 11
I want that FCC ruling as well. Bring it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I want that FCC ruling as well. Bring it.

Here's one article on the ruling fcc and unlocking. My understading is that it established that it is OK to unlock a phone but it did not establish that a carrier MUST provide the means to do so.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Here's one article on the ruling fcc and unlocking. My understading is that it established that it is OK to unlock a phone but it did not establish that a carrier MUST provide the means to do so.

nor would it establish that this service (unlocking) would have to be free.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › $600 for iPhone WITH subscrition?