or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple to air 'special' Super Bowl ad on Feb. 4 - report

Apple to air 'special' Super Bowl ad on Feb. 4 - report

post #1 of 69
A deal between Apple Inc. and Apple Corps to bring the legendary music catalog of The Beatles to iTunes could see an announcement in the form of a Super Bowl commercial, according to a report published Wednesday.

Citing "sources with knowledge of the project," the Toronto Sun said remastered tracks from the British Fab Four's United Kingdom CD back catalogue are slated to be made available for downloading from Apple's iTunes Store as soon as next month.

Apple plans a "special" announcement scheduled for a Super Bowl commercial on Feb. 4, which may give more indication as to where the new remastered CDs will debut first, the paper said.

Echoing a report from Tuesday, the Sun also reported that the arrangement between the two Apples is for an exclusive three-month restricted distribution deal through iTunes that would likely prolong the release the actual remastered CDs.

Tuesday's report suggested that Apple Corps would make at least some of the British rock group's music collection available through iTunes on Valentine's Day, providing a convenient means of promoting the band's recent Cirque du Soleil project, Love.

Apple Corps and UK record label EMI reportedly declined to comment on the report.
post #2 of 69
I hope Apple goes all out and makes another fantastic Super Bowl ad
post #3 of 69
Any chance that Apple, Inc. outright buys Apple Corps?
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
post #4 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Not while Paul is the process of divorcing Heather.
He needs to hide as many assets as he can.
post #5 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

that would be new money and would not go to Heather. Anyway it would go to Apple Corp and Paul could delay any personal payments until the divorce is complete
post #6 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcharna View Post

I hope Apple goes all out and makes another fantastic Super Bowl ad

Yeah, I hope it isn't just another variant on "colored silhouettes grooving to the music" thing. Not only is that getting a little old, it wouldn't convey much in the way of excitement or specialness.

Given the "new found harmony between old rivals near Valentine's Day to pimp the Love album" circumstances, seems like "All you need is love" is a given for the track.

I don't think they should show the iPod at all, or any of the ├╝ber-cool funky young urban folk the agency is so fond of. Let this one be all about the Beatles, and the commingling of Apples. Do an Apple/ Apple Beatles/iPod text at the end.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #7 of 69
Maybe a special-edition iPod?
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
This username is deprecated. Upgrade to andreslucero.
post #8 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdreams View Post

Maybe a special-edition iPod?

Cool!!! A black video ipod with a red click wheel. U2 scrated out... beatles etched in... with all of the beatles autographs (magically) printed on the back. Uh... no.

Will it include all of the great Beatles movies too?
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzy View Post

that would be new money and would not go to Heather. Anyway it would go to Apple Corp and Paul could delay any personal payments until the divorce is complete

I'm glad the British baristers are so well represented here. Do either of you have any idea what you're talking about?
post #10 of 69
I wouldn't mind seeing an iPhone commercial with close-ups
of it being used, especially blowing up pics or scrolling through music.
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
post #11 of 69
I guessed right on this one!

My post yesterday to AppleInsider's Beatles story:

Quote:
I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see an iPod ad set to a Beatles tune during the Super Bowl, which is Feb. 4 and less than two weeks before Valentine's Day. Particularly if Apple is going to launch a new iPod or even refresh the line with storage bumps or new colors.

That seems to make more sense than an iPhone ad during the Super Bowl for a product that won't debut until June (though the movie studios routinely feature summer movies during the Super Bowl to generate early buzz).
post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

I guessed right on this one!

My post yesterday to AppleInsider's Beatles story:

Alright porchland! I'm impressed.

You know, I like the beatles and everything. But we would probably see this much hype over a new artist on iTunes if it had been Britney Spears who held out for so long
post #13 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Not to hijack, but Heather got hers when he married her.

He obviously loved her enough to be honest (no pre-nup), she should be honest enough to walk away!

end rant
OMG here we go again...
OMG here we go again...
post #14 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

Cool!!! A black video ipod with a red click wheel. U2 scrated out... beatles etched in... with all of the beatles autographs (magically) printed on the back. Uh... no.

Yellow iPod with waterproof cover!

with one song installed: Can't Buy Me Love!!!
OMG here we go again...
OMG here we go again...
post #15 of 69
a british flag/beatles ipod would be tight
post #16 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato988 View Post

a british flag/beatles ipod would be tight

oh baby, SOLD!!
OMG here we go again...
OMG here we go again...
post #17 of 69
How about this: the Apple/Apple special edition-- the Apple etched on the back is green. Comes preloaded with Love. Low key and classy.
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing an iPhone commercial with close-ups
of it being used, especially blowing up pics or scrolling through music.

Too soon. No point in stoking lust for a product 6 months out. Initiating lust, ala the MacWorld announcement, is another matter.
post #19 of 69
a lot of people have probably seen the "i'm a mac, i'm a pc" ads, so perhaps a play on that.

i'm a paul, and i'm a ringo... blah blah.
post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

a lot of people have probably seen the "i'm a mac, i'm a pc" ads, so perhaps a play on that.

no offense but i hope not. not that im getting tired of those ads. that one just doesnt seem like a good idea. I like the English iPod idea with the union jack printed on it.

speaking of getting tired of ads is anyone else kinda tired of the normal iPod commercials with crazy colors and silhouettes and such. I liked the song in the last one but the concept feels tired
post #21 of 69
The only way they will make an English Flag iPod is if it is for a Special Edition Def Leppard iPod.

The Beatles were world icons and them being from England had little to do with the content of their music or imagery. They took pieces of influence from all over the world mainly the US and India near the end.

I know I would definitely not buy an iPod draped in a British Flag and neither would a majority of people outside the UK. It would look as tacky as an American Flag iPod.

There is so much more imagery from the Beatles catalog that would look more fitting.

And about the commercial, no one here is going to predict what they will do for it. That's why we are all on message boards and not being paid the big bucks to sit in an Ad Agency and think ideas for commercials.
post #22 of 69
They should make a White Album iPod. All white with maybe a light gray click wheel or something. Instant classic.
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownDavid View Post

They should make a White Album iPod. All white with maybe a light gray click wheel or something. Instant classic.

Beat me to it.
post #24 of 69
How about the "Paul is dead" special edition: plays everything backward. Also comes in handy for deciphering satanic instructions from your favorite death metal purveyors.
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

That's quite amusing, and if well-written, would certainly be one of the most popular Super Bowl commercials. No one would expect Paul to participate like that, with all that's going on in his life right now.

And as far as the British flag is concerned, it would ONLY be designed for a special iPod for The Who. No other band is as strongly associated with the Union Jack. Nobody. It won't happen, though.

GTSC
post #26 of 69
I imagine the commercial will be like:

Paul: Hi. I am the Beatles.

Dude: I am the iPhone. WTF are you doing here in my commercial?
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I imagine the commercial will be like:

Paul: Hi. I am the Beatles.

Dude: I am the iPhone. WTF are you doing here in my commercial?

I don't think so. If it happens, it will be of the "I'm a Paul and I'm a Ringo" variety.

First off, Paul wouldn't say "I'm the Beatles" because he's not and he knows he's not. Plus, that statement would piss off every Beatles fan on the planet. Won't happen.

Also, Apple wouldn't converge two product rollouts into one commercial. Not their style. Besides, commercials are about a simple, singular message anyway. With a Super Bowl commercial, you need to be funny and direct, not confusing, if you want to stand out and be remembered.

GTSC
post #28 of 69
I am hoping for new widescreen iPods and the Beatles.
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownDavid View Post

brilliant.
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Yellow iPod with waterproof cover!

with one song installed: Can't Buy Me Love!!!

Cute. But Apple is all about Revolutions.
post #31 of 69
Check this out: U2's video for "Window in the Skies"

That's the tone I would hope for, it even looks like some of what Apple has been doing recently, what with the colored tracers and laundry list of cool cultural figures and archival footage.

Imagine that same lip-syncing trick for "All you need is love": gets across the "we are all united by music" thing, the "Apple is down with the best people/think different" thing, the "iPod is a force for global harmony" thing ) and the "we got the Beatles" thing, all at one go.

Plus, it's really pretty cool.

As far as lifting the technique of a current video, they did it with that Postal Service video when they introduced the Intel Macs, and seem to have some kind of relationship to U2, so who knows?
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

I don't think so. If it happens, it will be of the "I'm a Paul and I'm a Ringo" variety.

First off, Paul wouldn't say "I'm the Beatles" because he's not and he knows he's not. Plus, that statement would piss off every Beatles fan on the planet. Won't happen.

Also, Apple wouldn't converge two product rollouts into one commercial. Not their style. Besides, commercials are about a simple, singular message anyway. With a Super Bowl commercial, you need to be funny and direct, not confusing, if you want to stand out and be remembered.

GTSC

Easy Gandalf. I was making a funny. I am not a Beatles fan nor a iPhone hommer (until Verizon picks it up).

Besides, I have the book called "the Walrus was Paul" and Gary Patterson, the author, makes it pretty clear the Paul we know now is the imposter. It is even an autographed first edition. The dude taught at the high school I was supposed to go to. So I had my cousin pick it up and he got it autographed.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Yeah, they could call it Apple inCorpsorated.
post #34 of 69
I was wondering why they're doing a three-month contract with Apple Inc? Why can't the Beatles keep their music on the iTunes Store forever?

Could someone please explain, thanks.
post #35 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. X View Post

I was wondering why they're doing a three-month contract with Apple Inc? Why can't the Beatles keep their music on the iTunes Store forever?

Three month exclusive. Meaning, after three months the Beatles appear on other down load services, as well as ITunes.
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Three month exclusive. Meaning, after three months the Beatles appear on other down load services, as well as ITunes.

Got it, Thanks.
post #37 of 69
Steve Jobs likes to focus and knows that "focus means saying no". He also likes beauty and the fantastic songs by the Beatles. I therefore predict the ad will be 90-95% about the Beatles' music, and 5-10% about Apple and its iPod/iTunes. The 5-10% will be subtle and understated; the ad will convey love for the music.
post #38 of 69
"Hello, I'm a Mac,"
"And I'm a PC,"
"And I'm a Beatle"......
Mac: I listen to music using iTunes and my iPod.
PC: And, I listen to music using iTunes and my iPod. I am not all about just "business", you know.
Beatle (played by Paul himself): And, now the entire catalog of Beatles songs is available exclusively at the iTunes Store.
Enter from stage left, Ringo Starr: What do you think of my new iPod in Submarine Yellow?
All exit to Yellow Submarine.
post #39 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

No other band is as strongly associated with the Union Jack. Nobody.

Well, Def Leppard and Bowie certainly belong in the club...
post #40 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. X View Post

I'm sure they could, but why would they? No one else is exclusive forever to iTunes (as far as I know), and it just wouldn't make good business sense to lose out on sales via other sources.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple to air 'special' Super Bowl ad on Feb. 4 - report