or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods

post #1 of 126
Thread Starter 
Apple said Wednesday that results for its fiscal 2007 first quarter ended December 30, 2006 included record revenue of $7.1 billion and record net quarterly profit of $1.0 billion, or $1.14 per diluted share.

The results compare to revenue of $5.7 billion and net quarterly profit of $565 million, or $.65 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 31.2 percent, up from 27.2 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 42 percent of the quarter's revenue.

"We are incredibly pleased to report record quarterly revenue of over $7 billion and record earnings of $1 billion," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "We've just kicked off what is going to be a very strong new product year for Apple by launching Apple TV and the revolutionary iPhone."

During the quarter, Apple shipped 1,606,000 Macintosh computers and 21,066,000 iPods, representing 28 percent growth in Macs and 50 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

"We generated over $1.75 billion in cash during the quarter to end with $11.9 billion," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the second fiscal quarter of 2007, we expect revenue of $4.8 to $4.9 billion and earnings per diluted share of $.54 to $.56."

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q1 2007 financial results conference call utilizing QuickTime, its standards-based technology for live and on-demand audio and video streaming.

Update: Please see our running list of notes from the conference call.
post #2 of 126
Go AAPL! I am about to pull my first 20-bagger if the market responds positively tomorrow and Apple follows with a stock-split annoucement.
post #3 of 126
Holy Cow...
post #4 of 126
I guess I was close on the iPod sales estimate ... 8)
post #5 of 126
Only up $.07 after hours. Geez what do they have to do to get a little respect? \

Now up over a buck after hours. That's better. Analyst on CNBC attributed strong numbers to "lower priced Ipods driving unit sales". If true Aple would be wise to consider an iPhone with a lower price point. I'll go further, it wil be a blunder not to come out with a lower priced iPhone.
post #6 of 126
The after market is closed.. it will open anytime near now... IN STEVE WE TRUST LOL
Long long long, In Jobs I trust
Reply
Long long long, In Jobs I trust
Reply
post #7 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

During the quarter, Apple shipped 1,606,000 Macintosh computers and 21,066,000 iPods, representing 28 percent growth in Macs and 50 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.



edit: I see below that while the Mac sales numbers look good from the last years quarter, I see that this number is fairly flat from last quarter... \
post #8 of 126
While I'm very happy about the overall numbers, I would have prefered to see more Mac sales, and less iPod sales.

There is NO increase in Mac sales over the last quarter, perhaps even a few less.

That's not good. It's well below estimates.

That could be one of the reasons why the after hours stock price hasn't jumped

Next quarters estimates don't thrill me either. Much lower that anyone expected, even with Apple's usual low numbers.
post #9 of 126
I'm not surprised about next qtr, right now folks are in a 10.5 holding pattern the same way they were with the Intel switch. Also, are qtr->qtr comparisons really all that meaningful, given the *highly* annually cyclic nature of this market? Back to school, Xmas... major events that heavily sway sales from qtr to qtr, but year to year is just a more meaningful trend in my eyes.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #10 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While I'm very happy about the overall numbers, I would have prefered to see more Mac sales, and less iPod sales.

There is NO increase in Mac sales over the last quarter, perhaps even a few less.

That's not good. It's well below estimates.

That could be one of the reasons why the after hours stock price hasn't jumped

Next quarters estimates don't thrill me either. Much lower that anyone expected, even with Apple's usual low numbers.

Yep Mel, Mac sales are surprising disappointing, at least for me. The 'halo affect' better kick in soon. With the strong iPod sales, if it (halo affect) doesn't materialize soon it ain't gonna happen at all.
post #11 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While I'm very happy about the overall numbers, I would have prefered to see more Mac sales, and less iPod sales.

There is NO increase in Mac sales over the last quarter, perhaps even a few less.

That's not good. It's well below estimates.

That could be one of the reasons why the after hours stock price hasn't jumped

Next quarters estimates don't thrill me either. Much lower that anyone expected, even with Apple's usual low numbers.

I thought the same at first; 10% lower mac units and almost 20% below where I thought it should be. At the same time, they are developing significant mindshare, so let's see where the Q2 goes with it.

I'm not worried about guidance; they beat estimates for this quarter by so much, the extra $.05 that they missed on guidance isn't scary.

It's moving after hours. Should hit about $104 tonight, and keep that going into tomorrow.
post #12 of 126
WOW... the iPod sales numbers are INCREDIBLE. AMAZING. FANTASTIC.

But the Mac sales are merely good, considering the circumstances, not great. \

I think Apple needs to put more emphasis on what is still a core business for them, after all. iPods and iPhones are great, but a lot of folks were thinking Apple would come closer to 2 million Macs sold during the brisk Holiday season. That came nowhere close to happening, even during a time where the PC world has been in disarray, waiting for Vista, dealing with rampant security issues, and a declining rep. If this isn't a good time to pick up a lot more marketshare (as opposed to 'just some'), what is?

Steve, let's focus a bit more on the 'one that brung ya', ok?


.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
post #13 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I thought the same at first; 10% lower mac units and almost 20% below where I thought it should be. At the same time, they are developing significant mindshare, so let's see where the Q2 goes with it.

I'm not worried about guidance; they beat estimates for this quarter by so much, the extra $.05 that they missed on guidance isn't scary.

It's moving after hours. Should hit about $104 tonight, and keep that going into tomorrow.

Yeah, my realtime stock ticker now shows it up to 96. but it was at 97+ a few moments before, so we'll see.

The conference call has just been announced, but we're waiting.
post #14 of 126
Wouldn't a 30% increase in Mac sales, year-over-year, mean doubling their market share in 3 years?


There is a paradigm shift that is in the wings with Parallels -- and the companies shipping Macs with it (and the beast) pre-configured. I think we are starting to see that shift. They're on the right track, in any case.

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply

In our desire to impose form on the world we have lost the capacity to see the form that is there;
and in that lies not liberation but alienation, the cutting off from things as they really are. --...

Reply
post #15 of 126
Quote:
There is NO increase in Mac sales over the last quarter, perhaps even a few less.

That's not good. It's well below estimates.

This is weird. I remember last Christmas, Mac sales seeming flat after a back to school boost. And then kicking on from the 1st quarter of the New Year.

In short, perhaps it is the Leopard 'holding pattern' we've seen before.

Reasons for flat Mac sales?

1. Leopard.
2. Choice. Lack of configurable tower in the the £500-£1295 range. (IF they want PC switchers or MORE of them, then give them what they want with Apple style. There's just a gaping hole from the Mac Mini to the Mac Tower. And the iMac just does not fill it. One tower. £595- £1295 using Conroe chips. Very configurable. It may cannibilize iMac sales. But not that much, I'm guessing.)
3. A true OS advertising blitz circa Leopard.
4. A rethink on the 'cheap' Mac. I'm not sure the Mac Mini is it. No keyboard, Monitor etc.
5. iPod/Mac bundle deals. They need to leverage their star performer.
6. Business. Small and Enterprise.
7. More Mac partnerships.
8. A cheapER (But not cheap) Laptop. Keep being aggressive with prices. They've done well since the Intel transition. More choice on the Mac Book Pro. ie 12/13 inch model.
9. Virtualisation. Maybe. For legacy XP apps.
10. Offer more promotions for PC users. ie trade in yer PC for discount off Mac.
11. SHOW what the Mac can actually do in ADVERTS.

Mildly concerned about flat Mac sales. But we've been here before. ANd this is all pre-refresh circa Leopard. And, notably, with (presumably) Intel centric designs...to look forward to.

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #16 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

This is weird. I remember last Christmas, Mac sales seeming flat after a back to school boost. And then kicking on from the 1st quarter of the New Year.

In short, perhaps it is the Leopard 'holding pattern' we've seen before.

Reasons for flat Mac sales?

1. Leopard.
2. Choice. Lack of configurable tower in the the £500-£1295 range. (IF they want PC switchers or MORE of them, then give them what they want with Apple style. There's just a gaping hole from the Mac Mini to the Mac Tower. And the iMac just does not fill it. One tower. £595- £1295 using Conroe chips. Very configurable. It may cannibilize iMac sales. But not that much, I'm guessing.)
3. A true OS advertising blitz circa Leopard.
4. A rethink on the 'cheap' Mac. I'm not sure the Mac Mini is it. No keyboard, Monitor etc.
5. iPod/Mac bundle deals. They need to leverage their star performer.
6. Business. Small and Enterprise.
7. More Mac partnerships.
8. A cheapER (But not cheap) Laptop. Keep being aggressive with prices. They've done well since the Intel transition. More choice on the Mac Book Pro. ie 12/13 inch model.
9. Virtualisation. Maybe. For legacy XP apps.
10. Offer more promotions for PC users. ie trade in yer PC for discount off Mac.
11. SHOW what the Mac can actually do in ADVERTS.

Mildly concerned about flat Mac sales. But we've been here before. ANd this is all pre-refresh circa Leopard. And, notably, with (presumably) Intel centric designs...to look forward to.

Lemon Bon Bon

I agree with everything you say here.

But, I still surprised, and somewhat disappointed.
post #17 of 126
Are the Mac unit sales down year-over-year?

I found it, about 1.25M, vs. 1.6M
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/jan/18results.html

YOY is still pretty good.
post #18 of 126
I don't know about "everybody," but my Mac Pro purchase is waiting until I see what's what with Leopard, Adobe CS3 and new displays (if any).

As many were, I was hoping for something (announcements, hints, anything) at Macworld, but it didn't work out that way. So now I have put the purchase on the back burner and it is going to stay there until I see something from Apple. \
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
"Too much of a good thing is great." Mae West
Reply
post #19 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Are the Mac unit sales down year-over-year?

No, up 28%.

But the year before, they were up almost 40% year over year.
post #20 of 126
Flat Mac Sales?

Quote:
Apple shipped 1,606,000 Macintosh® computers and 21,066,000 iPods during the quarter, representing 28 percent growth in Macs and 50 percent growth in iPods over the year-ago quarter.

Mac sales are almost up 30% !!!!
post #21 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorMatt View Post

Flat Mac Sales?



Mac sales are almost up 30% !!!!

Quarter to quarter, not year to year.
post #22 of 126
I think most Mac user are still waiting for leopard to buy mac for upgrade.
Professional are waiting for more universal binary application such as the recent Maya, and app from adobe.
Geeks / Advanced Computer user now love mac due to the Vista Effect :P are either waiting for the Top Secret feature to be announced before they decide or waiting for Leopard as well.

Casual Gamer are waiting for either 3D Graphics Acceleration support with Parallel version 3 or PCI Express 2.0 with Virtualization support. Which happen to come out at about the same time so i am not sure if they are the same thing or not.

So generally i think Leopard will be the tricker moment for Mac sales "boom" LOL.

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply

There are only two kind of people in this world.

Those who dont understand Apple and those who misunderstood Apple.

Reply
post #23 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

I think most Mac user are still waiting for leopard to buy mac for upgrade.
Professional are waiting for more universal binary application such as the recent Maya, and app from adobe.
Geeks / Advanced Computer user now love mac due to the Vista Effect :P are either waiting for the Top Secret feature to be announced before they decide or waiting for Leopard as well.

Casual Gamer are waiting for either 3D Graphics Acceleration support with Parallel version 3 or PCI Express 2.0 with Virtualization support. Which happen to come out at about the same time so i am not sure if they are the same thing or not.

So generally i think Leopard will be the tricker moment for Mac sales "boom" LOL.

I don't think that most consumers are waiting for Leopard.

I don't think that most consumers have even HEARD of Leopard.

As Apple is saying the phone call now, they expected this.
post #24 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While I'm very happy about the overall numbers, I would have prefered to see more Mac sales, and less iPod sales.

There is NO increase in Mac sales over the last quarter, perhaps even a few less.

That's not good. It's well below estimates.

That could be one of the reasons why the after hours stock price hasn't jumped

Next quarters estimates don't thrill me either. Much lower that anyone expected, even with Apple's usual low numbers.

The estimates were around 1.8 million I think..... The numbers are stable but not the jump we all want to see.

Might be due to price competition slowing potential switchers. I've seen some really good deals at places like Costco that absolutely blow the the doors of an iBook for some really nice HP computers. There are also some clunkers from Dell that compete for the iBook buyers (I just purchased one for our company.. before I saw the HP's).

The Dell clunker was an Inspron 640m 14 inch wide screen, had stuff like 160GB 5400 RPM drive, 1GB ram, (1.6 Core 2 Duo), 8X CD/DVD Burner (double-layer DVD+R write capability), built in wireless, modem, 3 year On-site service, built in card reader, yadda, yadd, yadda.$1,300 after tax and shipping. (About $700 cheaper then the iBook would have been.

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
Reply

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
Reply
post #25 of 126
Another confirm on Leopard shipping in spring.
post #26 of 126
Quote:
Wouldn't a 30% increase in Mac sales, year-over-year, mean doubling their market share in 3 years?


There is a paradigm shift that is in the wings with Parallels -- and the companies shipping Macs with it (and the beast) pre-configured. I think we are starting to see that shift. They're on the right track, in any case.

Well, good point. Enterprise, small business and terrific press Apple Mac 'mind share' is show some traction. In Edu'. Unit growth of 28% for Macs in Europe. Flat sales are not all doom and gloom. Like Mel', I'd hoped for 1.8 million-ish Macs for the quarter. Mac growth was pretty good 10% - 20% in Europe in certain countries.

I guess we have more stores, international stores to look forward to and that may boost European, international Mac unit sales.

Quote:
I don't know about "everybody," but my Mac Pro purchase is waiting until I see what's what with Leopard, Adobe CS3 and new displays (if any).

It's a factor. Leopard must the key inertia on Mac sales. It's made me keep my wallet shut.

As many were, I was hoping for something (announcements, hints, anything) at Macworld, but it didn't work out that way. So now I have put the purchase on the back burner and it is going to stay there until I see something from Apple.

CFO. On webcast is putting slight unit drop down to post Education sales. ie they have a strong edu market and had expected Q4 sales to go down. And that it had happened last year.

Backburner. I guess people are waiting for Leopard. Intel centric designs. And a more configurable product. Photoshop may be a factor in pro sales. Desktop sales may show a trend to go south vs Laptops. But I'm convinced Apple's desktop range isn't as strong as it should be a product 'MIX'.

They've re-iterated 'spring' ship date for Leopard.

Perhaps expansion of Best Buy pilots and expansion of Mac channel will all kick in as Mac mindshare grows.

If you're getting 3x market growth...sooner or later, sales, unit sales are going to surge.

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #27 of 126
Quote:
I think most Mac user are still waiting for leopard to buy mac for upgrade.
Professional are waiting for more universal binary application such as the recent Maya, and app from adobe.
Geeks / Advanced Computer user now love mac due to the Vista Effect :P are either waiting for the Top Secret feature to be announced before they decide or waiting for Leopard as well.

Casual Gamer are waiting for either 3D Graphics Acceleration support with Parallel version 3 or PCI Express 2.0 with Virtualization support. Which happen to come out at about the same time so i am not sure if they are the same thing or not.

I think Leopard must be a factor. Whether all consumers are waiting for it is another thing. Clearly 'all of them' weren't.

But I think it probably slowed Mac sales. It's one of many factors that stopped Mac sales hitting 1.8 million.

Also, Vista. Consumers will wait and look at that before switching.

I also couldn't help but notice the 'cheap', 'it'll do', 'clunker' laptop wintel machines being flogged at PC World. And...

Apple has to compete.

I'm still confident Apple's laptop sales will head towards 1.4 million per quarter and 600k desktops should be doable. For a total of 2million.

They're still x3 growth. And intent to buy a Portable or Mac desktop...or it's momentum is still strong. 8 quarters of Macs out growing the market growth rate for PC sales?

Lemon Bon Bon

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #28 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Well, good point. Enterprise, small business and terrific press Apple Mac 'mind share' is show some traction. In Edu'. Unit growth of 28% for Macs in Europe. Flat sales are not all doom and gloom. Like Mel', I'd hoped for 1.8 million-ish Macs for the quarter. Mac growth was pretty good 10% - 20% in Europe in certain countries.

What I read about enterprise, ther is still not much to hope for there.

Quote:
I guess we have more stores, international stores to look forward to and that may boost European, international Mac unit sales.

True.


Quote:
CFO. On webcast is putting slight unit drop down to post Education sales. ie they have a strong edu market and had expected Q4 sales to go down. And that it had happened last year.

Yes, I'm listen to that. I don't remember the sales a year ago that quarter, but I don't remember the drop.

Quote:
Backburner. I guess people are waiting for Leopard. Intel centric designs. And a more configurable product. Photoshop may be a factor in pro sales. Desktop sales may show a trend to go south vs Laptops. But I'm convinced Apple's desktop range isn't as strong as it should be a product 'MIX'.

They've re-iterated 'spring' ship date for Leopard.

I really don't believe that sales are very dependent on Leopard. While the techies, those of us here, for example, will care, and MAY, wait, most people don't know about Leopard, even many Mac users!

Quote:
Perhaps expansion of Best Buy pilots and expansion of Mac channel will all kick in as Mac mindshare grows.

That's the idea.

Quote:
If you're getting 3x market growth...sooner or later, sales, unit sales are going to surge.

Lemon Bon Bon

That works the other way around. If market growth is 1% sales won't move much, even at 3 times that number.


But Apple just said that they were *thrilled* with Mac sales this quarter. They are being asked time and time again about it.
post #29 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

CFO. On webcast is putting slight unit drop down to post Education sales. ie they have a strong edu market and had expected Q4 sales to go down. And that it had happened last year.

I thought I'd remembered it being flat Q3 to Q4 at this time of year too.

And the reasons some people will be holding off is that they're waiting for Intel apps (Adobe CS, ex-Macromedia stuff, MS Office...), they're waiting for Leopard and they're waiting for Intel's new chips. There were hints at CES from some laptop manufacturers that the Santa Rosa chipset is already available to OEMs, just not announced yet. eg. http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/m...d-nvidia-nb8p/
post #30 of 126
From the call:

iLife January refresh;

Apple:
We don't tell about, blah, blah..but keep tuned.
post #31 of 126
Laptop sales have had a lot to do with Apple's unit sales growth over the last while. Trouble being, while Apple's MacBook pricing was reasonably in the ball park for a while, average PC laptop prices continue to drop. This has already pretty much happened for Apple on the desktop, laptops were supposed to be the salvation.

This is a real problem for Apple: they set a price point that they are loath to drop below, unless very slowly. They instead add features and value at their preset price points. In effect, they are declaring their prices as the buy-in point for a "quality" computer experience.

The problem being that when average prices keep falling in the PC world, it moves the perception of where the "quality" line is ever downward.

It's not like "the good" PCs are just sitting there at a given price point while manufacturers figure out how to make cheaper and cheaper ones at the bottom-- the entire pricing structure keeps dropping.

So that $1000 MacBook that looked competitive "for what you got" a year ago doesn't look quite so competitive now, and it will look even less competitive a year from now.

It's an artifact of Apple's narrow product matrix: other manufacturers can cycle older stuff downward through the ranks while they bring out new stuff. Apple doesn't have any "downward", which is fine if "downward" equals crap, but when "downward" equals last years Core2Duo laptop and more than enough computer to do anything you want, fast, then it becomes a disincentive powerful enough to negate any perceived advantages of the OS or ecology (AKA Halo effect).

Not that I'm saying that Apple is doomed, mind you, I'm just pointing out that growing market share is a tough nut to crack with all this going on. When PC laptops are selling at an average price of $500 (which they will, soon enough), and those laptops are fairly well specced (if ugly and not so nicely put together) convincing people that the $1000 consumer entry level Apple laptop is well worth the premium is an up-hill climb.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #32 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

From the call:

iLife January refresh;

Yay! I do hope they're understating the changes there though by just calling it a refresh.
post #33 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Yay! I do hope they're understating the changes there though by just calling it a refresh.

with Apple, there's always hope.

And Macbook Pro sales were VERY strong.

Call is over.

It was interesting. As usual, some of what they won't say is even more interesting than what they do say.

No word at all about Mac updates though.
post #34 of 126
Well said Addabox. I have believed for the last couple of years now that Apple's product mix is too narrow. It's very frustrating because I believe they are so close to having the perfect line-up. They don't need anywhere near as many different products as their competitors have, but they need a few more than they have now.

It would seem that they are having trouble comprehending this isn't 1997 - 2001 anymore. The days of being close to the edge are over, Apple can afford to broaden their product range without fear of new models significantly cannibalising existing ones.

On the laptop front, they need more flexibility. Why is screen size tied to "horsepower"? Why is the minimum CPU a Core 2 Duo? Why do all of the laptops come with iSight? With Front Row? With Airport? With Bluetooth? If customers don't want these features, don't force them to buy them, allow them to remove the features and save some money. All models should be screen-size customisable, so you choose MacBook or MacBook Pro, then CPU speed, then 13", 15" or 17" widescreen, etc. etc. A single ultra-portable (neither MacBook nor MacBook Pro - MacBook Nano or Mini, perhaps) model wouldn't go amiss, either.

On the desktop side, yes, Apple should have an actual desktop computer that uses consumer-aimed desktop components at consumer prices. I.e., a mini-tower desktop that's much cheaper (and less capable) than the Mac Pro.

I'm still convinced that if Apple want Mac sales of 2+ million/quarter, changes along these lines are required.

Oh yeah, and advertising OS X wouldn't hurt, surely? I don't get why they don't take a leaf out of their own "aggressive marketing of iPod" book and apply it to OS X and Macs.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
Reply
post #35 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

with Apple, there's always hope.

And Macbook Pro sales were VERY strong.

Call is over.

It was interesting. As usual, some of what they won't say is even more interesting than what they do say.

No word at all about Mac updates though.

Not only the MacBook Pro sales were strong.
It seems higher-end iMacs and (maybe Mac Pros) did good as well.
40k less Macs sold than the previous quarter.
But 9% more revenue than the previous quarter.
10% for the desktop Macs
8% for the portable Macs

linkie, scroll down the page.
alles sal reg kom
Reply
alles sal reg kom
Reply
post #36 of 126
I think the one advantage Apple has is being down played. The fact that Apple makes more profit per sale than HP and Dell. A real advantage that will keep the company going.

There are a few factors that limit Apple's ability to sell computers. Not shipping with Windows is one obvious disadvantage. But I continue to read that the over all computer market is not growing as fast as it did 10 years ago. They heyday of the PC is about over. Dell and HP are left to fight over shrinking sales with shrinking prices.

The market clearly is shifting towards portable devices. Evidenced in shrinking desktop sales and increased laptop sales. Also in the emerging ultra mobile computer. I think this is what Steve meant when he made the Wayne Gretzky quote about looking for where the puck is going not on where its been. Fighting the PC market with low prices is the old fight, mobile computers are the future.

Apple plays down the iPhone being a ultra portable computer but clearly it is. I think Apple has much broader plans for the iPhone but wants to deflect attention away from that aspect. So when they reveal their broader plans everyone will be surprised.
post #37 of 126
Just reading this thread it is clear that there is considerable pent-up
demand for Macs. Some people are waiting for Apple software, some
people are waiting for non-Apple software, and some people are
waiting for new configurations which better meet their needs. I think
products will arrive which will relieve this pent-up demand during 2007,
and Mac sales will ramp steadily higher.

Regarding the AppleTV sales, it just proves once again that a product
which savvy tech people consider underfeatured and lame can look
mighty attractive to large numbers of consumers without particular
expectations.

While it is tempting to wish that Apple would just floor the accelerator
and produce everything all at once, I kind of like the way they roll out
products at a steady pace. Investors like companies who have smooth
earnings growth better than companies who have wild volatile earnings
cycles.
post #38 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, I'm listen to that. I don't remember the sales a year ago that quarter, but I don't remember the drop.

Last year's sales were 1.236 million Macs in Q4 and 1.254 million Macs in Q1 (vs. 1.610 million Q4 and 1.606 million in Q1). You're talking about a growth of 1.4% versus a drop of 0.2%. Technically speaking, there was not a drop last year (in overall sales - may well have been one in EDU sales), but from a statistical standpoint it was basically flat. A difference is 1.6% is not very meaningful - it can easily be driven by factors like weather, overall consumer spending, the hardware refresh cycle throughout the quarter, etc. etc. The difference just happened to cross the threshold of zero, but there is really nothing magical about that.

So, for better or for worse, the Q4/Q1 pattern this year looks almost exactly like the Q4/Q1 pattern last year.

For those who were hoping for 2 million Macs - which would have meant a sustained quarterly growth rate of around 23% (129% annual growth rate!!!), sorry, something that dramatic just is not likely to happen in back-to-back quarters.
post #39 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmig View Post


For those who were hoping for 2 million Macs - which would have meant a sustained quarterly growth rate of around 23% (129% annual growth rate!!!), sorry, something that dramatic just is not likely to happen in back-to-back quarters.

Actually, I was hoping for 200% annual growth.
and a mid-tower
and a $500 iBook
and the announcement that Apple was buying Adobe and releasing CS3 tomorrow
and iLife with full Office killing powers
and a kung-fu grip iMac
and...
enough.

Would it kill people to say "life is good. Apple is rocking..."?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #40 of 126
Sorry, double post.
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods