or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods

Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods - Page 2

post #41 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmig View Post

Last year's sales were 1.236 million Macs in Q4 and 1.254 million Macs in Q1 (vs. 1.610 million Q4 and 1.606 million in Q1). You're talking about a growth of 1.4% versus a drop of 0.2%. Technically speaking, there was not a drop last year (in overall sales - may well have been one in EDU sales), but from a statistical standpoint it was basically flat. A difference is 1.6% is not very meaningful - it can easily be driven by factors like weather, overall consumer spending, the hardware refresh cycle throughout the quarter, etc. etc. The difference just happened to cross the threshold of zero, but there is really nothing magical about that.

So, for better or for worse, the Q4/Q1 pattern this year looks almost exactly like the Q4/Q1 pattern last year.

True dat. Seems like the July-September 'Back to School' quarter is under-appreciated, and every bit the equal of the October-December 'Holiday' quarter.

Still, I can't help but feel Apple should be doing better here. Profits are through the roof, so its time for $999 MacBooks, and perhaps a subnotebook as well.

Never give Michael Dell an even break.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #42 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, up 28%.

But the year before, they were up almost 40% year over year.

In comparison, I read elsewhere that the PC market expanded 3%, so it's looking pretty good, I think.

Still, it appears that it only registers as a 0.2% in worldwide market share increase.
post #43 of 126
Mac sales per calendar year.

2004 - 3.507
2005 - 4.742 __ +35.20%
2006 - 5.655 __ +19.25%

IDC all PC sales

2004 - 178.85
2005 - 208.50 __ +16.57%
2006 - 229.5* __ +10.1%

* Last quarter estimated

Bottom Line: Mac growth slower in 2006 than 2005 however so was the whole PC market.
In 2005 Macs grew at a little over twice the rate of the market.
In 2006 ..... a little under twice the rate.

Hey Bageljoey....... Life is good. Apple is rocking.
post #44 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The market clearly is shifting towards portable devices. Evidenced in shrinking desktop sales and increased laptop sales. Also in the emerging ultra mobile computer. I think this is what Steve meant when he made the Wayne Gretzky quote about looking for where the puck is going not on where its been. Fighting the PC market with low prices is the old fight, mobile computers are the future.

Apple plays down the iPhone being a ultra portable computer but clearly it is. I think Apple has much broader plans for the iPhone but wants to deflect attention away from that aspect. So when they reveal their broader plans everyone will be surprised.

Well said and you may very well be right.
post #45 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Hey Bageljoey....... Life is good. Apple is rocking.

Thanks! Now I can relax...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #46 of 126
Quote:
Well said and you may very well be right.

I think it makes sense. The Dell/HP/ Gateway price wars are the results of a worn out market in its downward spiral.

While sales of mobile phones are on a steep incline, smartphone sales in particular tripled the past two years.

Some look at the iPhone as a $500 - $600 phone. Its really more like a $500 - $600 mobile computer that fits in your pocket.
post #47 of 126
Quote:

I think it makes sense. The Dell/HP/ Gateway price wars are the results of a worn out market in its downward spiral.

While sales of mobile phones are on a steep incline, smartphone sales in particular tripled the past two years.

Some look at the iPhone as a $500 - $600 phone. Its really more like a $500 - $600 mobile computer that fits in your pocket.

Can't argue with anything you've said. I hope Apple will be aggressive and roll out a family of iPhones quickly. While I like the high end iPhone and will get one when available, the price will be out of reach of many consumers. A $199 and/or $299 model(s) are needed to fill out the lineup. And they need to do it this year.
post #48 of 126
I can't believe that people buy this crap, like its been said, you would think apple created MP3 players, hell at this rate they'll reinvent god. There are so many better players out there that go unnoticed due to Apple aggressive marketing and their tie in with iTunes. Even cheapy mp4 player from http://www.mp4nation.com do the same as a damm ipod, or the Arcos, now thats a sweet player!
post #49 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortthewiz View Post

I can't believe that people buy this crap, like its been said, you would think apple created MP3 players, hell at this rate they'll reinvent god. There are so many better players out there that go unnoticed due to Apple aggressive marketing and their tie in with iTunes. Even cheapy mp4 player from http://www.mp4nation.com do the same as a damm ipod, or the Arcos, now thats a sweet player!

Cheapy mp4 players generally come with crappy software. The success if the iPod isn't just about the hardware specs.
post #50 of 126
SO many people can't seem to grasp that the interface is usually more important than the feature set. I saw a comment on the iPhone that basically said "Same features as other phones, new interface? Big whoop." Uh, yeah. Very big whoop.

All the features in the world don't mean squat if you can't easily get to and use them.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #51 of 126
Quote:

There are so many better players out there that go unnoticed due to Apple aggressive marketing and their tie in with iTunes. Even cheapy mp4 player from http://www.mp4nation.com do the same as a damm ipod

All I can say about those is: you get what you pay for.

Quote:

or the Arcos, now thats a sweet player!

Yes, Archos make some excellent portable video players. If you want a portable player whose primary function is playing video, Archos should be your first port of call. However, they are necessarily much larger and heavier than an iPod in order to accommodate a decent-sized widescreen display and battery. If you want a music player first, and a video player second (or not at all), the iPod is a very good option.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #52 of 126
Quote:

I like iPods for the software. Once everything is set up, it can be very automatic. I have smart playlists with ten conditionals that let me rotate my audio based on my preferences. The only commercial software more powerful at this particular feature might be some custom-tuned shell scripts.

Say what you like, but the fact that many of those players are blatantly copying the iPod design (and saying so) speaks volumes about their own maker's lack of original thinking.
post #53 of 126
Quote:
There are so many better players out there that go unnoticed due to Apple aggressive marketing and their tie in with iTunes. Even cheapy mp4 player from http://www.mp4nation.com

That's a link to a company that has ripped off the iPod. If Apple had not invented the iPod this company would likely not have a product.
post #54 of 126
Quote:

I don't think that most consumers are waiting for Leopard.

I don't think that most consumers have even HEARD of Leopard.

As Apple is saying the phone call now, they expected this.

I agree. All they know is: iPod. iPhone.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #55 of 126
Mac sales always are flat AFTER the school buying/back to school season - in fact, this is the HIGHEST quarter they've had following the back to school buying quarter EVER.

You have to look at numbers in context. It's like complaining ipod sales are not increasing at a 400% clip as they did in one year - that's like complaining your 800% increase in salary from being a senior and landing your first job is not repeated every year ...

If you consider that desktop sales are slowing as everyone waits for the 8-core along with Adobe CS3, the laptop sales more than make up for it. Apple staggers releases for hitting numbers from quarter to quarter and for year to year - that is sometimes why a release is delayed ... just like Apple knew they didn't need the sales help in this Q so they could hold Leopard until the next one - same with presumbaly the 8-core being announced before Spring and shipping by April ...

Look at them in CONTEXT!
post #56 of 126
Quote:

Except that Jobs is making the point that this is a phone.

Unless we can get third party programs, print to any printer we need to, hook up to scanners, etc. it is at best a very crippled computer indeed.

My microwave has an embedded cpu, RAM, an OS etc, but it isn't a computer. If the iPhone can only do what Apple gives it to do, and we can't modify it as I mentioned above, then it is a computerized phone, nothing more.

Jobs has indicated that we will likely see third party software for this, so we will see.
post #57 of 126
I just have to say
HOLY FRACKING PROFITS BATMAN!!!

$11.9 billion in cash. $1 billion in profits. Whoa.
Thursday NewYorkTime is going to be big for AAPL. Maybe past $100 on this phantastic news.
post #58 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I just have to say
HOLY FRACKING PROFITS BATMAN!!!

$11.9 billion in cash. $1 billion in profits. Whoa.
Thursday NewYorkTime is going to be big for AAPL. Maybe past $100 on this phantastic news.

It's really down, after hours. $93 something.
post #59 of 126
Quote:

It's really down, after hours. $93 something.

Meh. Dumb investors. Maybe the "office hours" investors on Thursday will wake up and smell the PROFITS

Also, I am fracking PSYCHIC. I friggin' CALLED IT MAN, I CALLED IT:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...54#post1011354

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman

Dec-21-2006 at 09:12 AM
"The SRSuperDuperAnalystInstitute.com is modelling 20 million iPods sold fiscal Q1 2007 (Oct-Dec 2006). Estimated breakdown is 10 million Nanos, 5.5 million iPod Videos, 4.5 million iPod Shuffles.
iPod (all models) US market share of mp3 players sold during this quarter is estimated at just over 70%.
...((14 million iPods (all models) were sold in fiscal Q1 2006 (Oct-Dec 2005). [Wikipedia])...."

BOOOOO YEAHHHHHHHHHH
!!!!11!!11!1!!!!!!!! Wooooooooo Take that you fracking bullshit analyst motherfrackers!!!!!!!!!!!111

post #60 of 126
Quote:

Meh. Dumb investors. Maybe the "office hours" investors on Thursday will wake up and smell the PROFITS

Also, I am fracking PSYCHIC. I friggin' CALLED IT MAN, I CALLED IT:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...54#post1011354

BOOOOO YEAHHHHHHHHHH
!!!!11!!11!1!!!!!!!! Wooooooooo Take that you fracking bullshit analyst motherfrackers!!!!!!!!!!!111

Congrats, your prize is a slightly used Zune box.
May you have many happy hours using it.
post #61 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..."We are incredibly pleased to report record quarterly revenue of over $7 billion and record earnings of $1 billion," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.....

Steve Jobs said this while repeatedly teabagging* a picture of Steve Ballmer. "Squirt this you frickin' loooooser...!!!!"

*http://www.theaveragegamer.com/terminology/#t
post #62 of 126
Quote:

Congrats, your prize is a slightly used Zune box.
May you have many happy hours using it.

Thanks...! .... sunilraman commences teabagging of slightly used Zune box.....
post #63 of 126
Awwww yeahhhhhhhhhh.
post #64 of 126
The after hours drop in price seems to have been triggered by automated buys from large funds, which drove the stock to $99 almost instantly. Then when they had eaten their fill, the buying abruptly stopped, which caused the average stock holder to panic and start selling. Others, seeing the selling, also panicked and sold, moving the price down. Tomorrow the market will start seeing the newly updated targets from Bear Sterns ($120) , Goldman Sacs ($110), UBS ($124) etc and start buying big. Options expire Friday, so this may hold the price down some. So I would expect next week to be a truer sense of the stock's new range.
post #65 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

The after hours drop in price seems to have been triggered by automated buys from large funds, which drove the stock to $99 almost instantly. Then when they had eaten their fill, the buying abruptly stopped, which caused the average stock holder to panic and start selling. Others, seeing the selling, also panicked and sold, moving the price down. Tomorrow the market will start seeing the newly updated targets from Bear Sterns ($120) , Goldman Sacs ($110), UBS ($124) etc and start buying big. Options expire Friday, so this may hold the price down some. So I would expect next week to be a truer sense of the stock's new range.

One reason was the unexpectedly low forcast from Apple, which is lower than consensus estimates, and which surprised me as well.
post #66 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

This is weird. I remember last Christmas, Mac sales seeming flat after a back to school boost. And then kicking on from the 1st quarter of the New Year.

In short, perhaps it is the Leopard 'holding pattern' we've seen before.

Reasons for flat Mac sales?

1. Leopard.
2. Choice. Lack of configurable tower in the the £500-£1295 range. (IF they want PC switchers or MORE of them, then give them what they want with Apple style. There's just a gaping hole from the Mac Mini to the Mac Tower. And the iMac just does not fill it. One tower. £595- £1295 using Conroe chips. Very configurable. It may cannibilize iMac sales. But not that much, I'm guessing.)
3. A true OS advertising blitz circa Leopard.
4. A rethink on the 'cheap' Mac. I'm not sure the Mac Mini is it. No keyboard, Monitor etc.
5. iPod/Mac bundle deals. They need to leverage their star performer.
6. Business. Small and Enterprise.
7. More Mac partnerships.
8. A cheapER (But not cheap) Laptop. Keep being aggressive with prices. They've done well since the Intel transition. More choice on the Mac Book Pro. ie 12/13 inch model.
9. Virtualisation. Maybe. For legacy XP apps.
10. Offer more promotions for PC users. ie trade in yer PC for discount off Mac.
11. SHOW what the Mac can actually do in ADVERTS.

Mildly concerned about flat Mac sales. But we've been here before. ANd this is all pre-refresh circa Leopard. And, notably, with (presumably) Intel centric designs...to look forward to.

Lemon Bon Bon

YOU should work for Apple Marketing!!!
(quick, send your resume and Email this post to Jobs!)
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
2.0 GHz Macbook, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
post #67 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashdot

Quote:
The BrownFury writes "At an invitation only event Apple has released their new MP3 player called the iPod. iPod is the size of a deck of cards. 2.4" wide by 4" tall by .78" thick 6.5 ounces. 5 GB HDD, 10 hr battery life, charged via FireWire. Works as a firewire drive as well. Works in conjunctions with iTunes 2. Here are Live updates".

No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

Features != Success. The MP3 player market failed to learn that so Apple won, now the mobile market gets their shot at it.
post #68 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

This is weird. I remember last Christmas, Mac sales seeming flat after a back to school boost. And then kicking on from the 1st quarter of the New Year.

In short, perhaps it is the Leopard 'holding pattern' we've seen before.

Reasons for flat Mac sales?

1. Leopard.
2. Choice. Lack of configurable tower in the the £500-£1295 range. (IF they want PC switchers or MORE of them, then give them what they want with Apple style. There's just a gaping hole from the Mac Mini to the Mac Tower. And the iMac just does not fill it. One tower. £595- £1295 using Conroe chips. Very configurable. It may cannibilize iMac sales. But not that much, I'm guessing.)
3. A true OS advertising blitz circa Leopard.
4. A rethink on the 'cheap' Mac. I'm not sure the Mac Mini is it. No keyboard, Monitor etc.
5. iPod/Mac bundle deals. They need to leverage their star performer.
6. Business. Small and Enterprise.
7. More Mac partnerships.
8. A cheapER (But not cheap) Laptop. Keep being aggressive with prices. They've done well since the Intel transition. More choice on the Mac Book Pro. ie 12/13 inch model.
9. Virtualisation. Maybe. For legacy XP apps.
10. Offer more promotions for PC users. ie trade in yer PC for discount off Mac.
11. SHOW what the Mac can actually do in ADVERTS.

Mildly concerned about flat Mac sales. But we've been here before. ANd this is all pre-refresh circa Leopard. And, notably, with (presumably) Intel centric designs...to look forward to.

Lemon Bon Bon

I'll throw out this observation, since I don't think it has been made yet;

IMHO, the "flat" Q-to-Q unit sales were due to pent up demand for Intel Macs. Particularly for lappies, given the existing G4 PPC prior to the Intel switch. Total unit shipments went from 1.112M to 1.610M between the 2nd and 4th quarters of last year (that was a growth of 45% in 6 months!).

I'd like to see what happens on the Mac Pro side of the fence once Photoshop is released and new Mac Pro's (hopefully Octo's would be added). I know they won't be big sellers at their price points, but are probably Apple's highest margin computer.

Should I also dust off that OLD upgradable headless Mac argument?

As I run and duck for cover!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #69 of 126
Quote:

Steve Jobs said this while repeatedly teabagging* a picture of Steve Ballmer. "Squirt this you frickin' loooooser...!!!!"

*http://www.theaveragegamer.com/terminology/#t

They're on the tame side of the sexual divide in the gaming world I see although I can't remember any game where you run around with a perfectly rendered meat and two veg.
post #70 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

YOU should work for Apple Marketing!!!
(quick, send your resume and Email this post to Jobs!)

They seem to be doing quite well without Lemon Bon Bon.
post #71 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post

edit: I see below that while the Mac sales numbers look good from the last years quarter, I see that this number is fairly flat from last quarter... \

A year ago everyone was waiting for Intel to arrive.
post #72 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

They're on the tame side of the sexual divide in the gaming world I see although I can't remember any game where you run around with a perfectly rendered meat and two veg.

Yeah it's more "conceptual" in a FPS rather than "definitely visual" :: check out this tshirt:
http://www.jinx.com/scripts/details....&productID=407

post #73 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

A year ago everyone was waiting for Intel to arrive.

No. SOME people were waiting for Intel but that still didn't stop Apple selling more Macs than the previous years quarter. In the last 3 years every quarter has had record sales compared with the year ago quarter.

Here's a graph of Apple's Unit sales of computers over the last 5 years...

edit: units are in 1000s btw
post #74 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

I'll throw out this observation, since I don't think it has been made yet;

IMHO, the "flat" Q-to-Q unit sales were due to pent up demand for Intel Macs. Particularly for lappies, given the existing G4 PPC prior to the Intel switch. Total unit shipments went from 1.112M to 1.610M between the 2nd and 4th quarters of last year (that was a growth of 45% in 6 months!).

I'd like to see what happens on the Mac Pro side of the fence once Photoshop is released and new Mac Pro's (hopefully Octo's would be added). I know they won't be big sellers at their price points, but are probably Apple's highest margin computer.

Should I also dust off that OLD upgradable headless Mac argument?

As I run and duck for cover!

Either Cook or Oppenheimer said, during the call, that they had two big 50 thousand each sales, during the forth quarter, which brought the numbers up unexpectedly.

So, without those, we would have seen 1.510 million sold, rather than 1.610 million.

Then we WOULD have seen a rise.
post #75 of 126
Quote:

No. SOME people were waiting for Intel but that still didn't stop Apple selling more Macs than the previous years quarter. In the last 3 years every quarter has had record sales compared with the year ago quarter.

Here's a graph of Apple's Unit sales of computers over the last 5 years...

edit: units are in 1000s btw

Good chart. Did you get that from somewhere, or did you work it up yourself?

If you did it, can I use it?

It shows that sales in the first quarter HAVE risen more than the forth quarters' sales every year in the last 5 years, EXCEPT this one, despite Apple denying it during the call.
post #76 of 126
Quote:

Good chart. Did you get that from somewhere, or did you work it up yourself?

If you did it, can I use it?

It shows that sales in the first quarter HAVE risen more than the forth quarters' sales every year in the last 5 years, EXCEPT this one, despite Apple denying it during the call.

knocked it up myself in Pages from data from each of the financial report summaries. eg. http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q107data_sum.pdf

Just change the g107data_sum.pdf file name at the end and you've got data for each quarter.

Use it however you want to.
post #77 of 126
Quote:

knocked it up myself in Pages from data from each of the financial report summaries. eg. http://images.apple.com/pr/pdf/q107data_sum.pdf

Just change the g107data_sum.pdf file name at the end and you've got data for each quarter.

Use it however you want to.

Thanks.
post #78 of 126
Quote:

Either Cook or Oppenheimer said, during the call, that they had two big 50 thousand each sales, during the forth quarter, which brought the numbers up unexpectedly.

So, without those, we would have seen 1.510 million sold, rather than 1.610 million.

Then we WOULD have seen a rise.

Discounting the 100,000 extra in Q4, it was still a stunning quarter and Q1 2007 was stunning again. Currently they're gaining about 100,000 units every quarter which would put them way over 2 million unit sales a quarter by this time next year - Doubling their sales in 3 years. That's impressive.
post #79 of 126
Quote:

Discounting the 100,000 extra in Q4, it was still a stunning quarter and Q1 2007 was stunning again. Currently they're gaining about 100,000 units every quarter which would put them way over 2 million unit sales a quarter by this time next year - Doubling their sales in 3 years. That's impressive.

What I keep forgetting, and they also refered to in the call, is that last year saw 14 more buying days in the quarter, which accounted for some of those sales, computers, and iPods, as well as all of Apple's other stuff, including third parties stuff in their stores.

This was talked about a great deal last year, not just for Apple of course.

If we could only figure out how to pro-rate those extra shopping days, we could come to a better set of numbers.

The problem is that sales are not equal during the quarter. It starts slowly, then speeds up, slows down again, and moves very quickly near the end.

I suppose we could average them out, and come to some approximate number.
post #80 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Go AAPL! I am about to pull my first 20-bagger if the market responds positively tomorrow and Apple follows with a stock-split annoucement.

I was hoping the same thing..... didn't picture APPL dropping $5.
15.4" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone
80 Gig Black Ipod
15.4" 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone
80 Gig Black Ipod
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple posts profit of $1 billion, sells 21 million iPods