or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › *** New iMac Design Discussion

*** New iMac Design Discussion - Page 4

post #121 of 130
Okay - it's awesome. Harks back to 1950's and 60's mini TV sets. Looks like an alien from War of the Worlds. Small and powerful. beautiful display - and THEY NOW HAVE A FORM FACTOR WHERE THEY CAN INCREASE THE MONITOR SIZE IN THE FUTURE. this is big.

YAY!

And if the imac is a G4, whither the desktops?

HEE HEE!! Dual G5 2Ghz. 2 Gig RAM. Yeah baby.
HEE HEE!! Dual G5 2Ghz. 2 Gig RAM. Yeah baby.
post #122 of 130
The thing that has me most conflicted is that it's modern and cool, but I don't think anyone would call it "cute," you know? The old iMac...dunno, looked like something that wanted to be hugged by little kids - it was fun. In fact, I keep picturing the kid's area at the Apple stores and I have a real hard time seeing this fit in and survive (physically!) there.

-S
post #123 of 130
What gets me is the balance of it. I can't quite describe what I mean but the display looks so delicate and thin contrasting with the bulbous base.

They kinda contradict each other. I think maybe seeing it in the flesh would be different.
post #124 of 130
I like the design. It's so simple and good looking. Like a fancy desk lamp you'd get at Staples but better. You put it out infront because you're not ashamed of it's appearance.
post #125 of 130
Looking at the larger images, it looks like the clear plastics that we see extending off the edges of the screen also go *over* the screen itself (like on a pen tablet, except not touch-sensitive). A good move, I think, for protecting the screen from sneezes and curious hands, as this isn't a pro machine.

-S
post #126 of 130
I like it. It took me a few takes, but I like it.

The round shape is a contrast to the screen, which is good, and it is also a "weaker" shape, which is good: The base should not be attracting attention to itself. The focal point of the computer is - and should be - the screen, so it's a good idea to allow the eye to slide off the curve of the base. Also, the round shape looks more like a weight, emphasizing the floating quality of the screen. It looks tethered. Finally, round shapes are (generally) perceived as organic, warm and unintimidating.

Functionally, this design is also an improvement. The original iMac's screen was too low for a lot of people. The new iMac seems to have a far more adjustable screen height and angle. Others have pointed out that Apple can easily update this design to offer bigger and/or denser screens, which is good, or to make it detachable if it is not already (which I doubt, but we'll know in an hour).

Yes, it looks like a piece of furniture. That's perfect. You can put it right in the living room instead of hiding it in a desk in a back room. It would go well in an IKEA household, true, but it would also fit into a Target household - lean, clean designs are fairly common now. And white goes with just about everything.

I still think the Cube is the most gorgeous computer Apple has ever made, but this ain't bad. Like all Apple designs, it probably looks a lot better in person.

This might be what gets me to an Apple Store.
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!
post #127 of 130
I love it. Taken me ten minutes to go from What! to Wow!

Seems like the arm has cooling vents on the ball joint. Nice design using the arm as cooling.

The imac has stopped being the computer that everyone used in photoshoots but this should put it right back there
post #128 of 130
Didn't work. nevermind.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
post #129 of 130
It rocks....If this 14" ibook thing is right then that will rock too. Now, G5?
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #130 of 130
Incredibly small, but I don't like white or round...I like clear and cube.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › *** New iMac Design Discussion