or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Got a GarageBand or Logic Creation? Share it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Got a GarageBand or Logic Creation? Share it!

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Ok, not sure whether this belongs in AppleOutsider or in Applications, so I'll put it here in AO, and Admins can move it if they feel like it.

I just spent a good chunk of the afternoon goofing around with GarageBand, and whipped up my first track. The result is horrifically amateurish, and I like it. So I thought I'd share it with anyone who'd like a good chuckle (or, gods forbid, would actually seriously enjoy it! )

The file is at *****MOVED*****

So, having made my first contribution of this sort to the entertainment of everyone, I wonder if anyone else has any creations they'd like to toss out here?

If you have a song or instrumental track which you've created in GarageBand or Logic, post it here so we can all enjoy it! All hopefull future musicians must get a start somewhere, and where better than where you will be appreciated?

Looking forward to some great tracks in here!

Celemourn

***EDIT***

Files moved to iCompositions:

UACP
Off Duty
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #2 of 44
I have a better idea for you... join www.icompositions.com and post your work there for free. I have a bunch of friends on that site, and I find them to be far more creative and experimental than places like www.garageband.com.

Enjoy!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have a better idea for you... join www.icompositions.com and post your work there for free. I have a bunch of friends on that site, and I find them to be far more creative and experimental than places like www.garageband.com.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the link! I still want to hear what other people here are coming up with though. ;D
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #4 of 44
Oh, and here is a wonderful example of the extreme coolness that can be found on "iComp"... and another...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #5 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, and here is a wonderful example of the extreme coolness that can be found on "iComp"... and another...

hey, they keep track of how many people have played the songs! that rocks.

Those were a couple of odd tracks. I had to follow the link to the poem the first one was based off of (couldn't follow what was being said easily). Good poem. I like the structure. It was a good pick for that song.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Those were a couple of odd tracks. I had to follow the link to the poem the first one was based off of (couldn't follow what was being said easily). Good poem. I like the structure. It was a good pick for that song.

Exactly why I love iComp so much. If you're looking for real "alternative" music, it's the joint.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

The result is horrifically amateurish, and I like it. So I thought I'd share it with anyone who'd like a good chuckle (or, gods forbid, would actually seriously enjoy it! )

Celemourn

It took 25 minutes to download, BUT, it was worth the wait. I actually enjoyed it! Conjoured up visions of a motorcycle ride down a seacoast, heading perhaps into a Boston waterfront?? I got that backwards. Start at waterfront and head up the coast.

It was better than you are giving yourself credit for. I love the GB app myself. Soo easy to add original stuff underneath slideshows and home movies, whether you are a 'pro' musician or not. Now, tell use how you did it. Do you actually own/play drums, guitar, KB? Was it all cut & paste with loops?

Try this instrumental of mine. I started with one drum loop as I cannot abide the click track in GB. The rest is off my M-Audio KB.

http://www.myspace.com/rufusswan

Paz
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
Reply
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
Reply
post #8 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post

It took 25 minutes to download, BUT, it was worth the wait. I actually enjoyed it! Conjoured up visions of a motorcycle ride down a seacoast, heading perhaps into a Boston waterfront?? I got that backwards. Start at waterfront and head up the coast.

It was better than you are giving yourself credit for. I love the GB app myself. Soo easy to add original stuff underneath slideshows and home movies, whether you are a 'pro' musician or not. Now, tell use how you did it. Do you actually own/play drums, guitar, KB? Was it all cut & paste with loops?

Try this instrumental of mine. I started with one drum loop as I cannot abide the click track in GB. The rest is off my M-Audio KB.

http://www.myspace.com/rufusswan

Paz

Suite Hideaway! I like it! It's got a definite and clearly defined theme to it, and you implemented the rock organ very well. I like the short guitar thread you worked in there too.

RE UACP: Thanks, I very happy that you enjoyed it, and relieved that you did, as I'd hate to think I made you go through a 25 minute download for nothing!

Motorcycle ride: Thats a cool visualization. I can definitely see that (went back and listened to it again with that context in mind. It works!)

With the exception of the first four cymbal taps at the start, it was all loops. I can't wait to get a midi adapter and can hook my piano (yamaha p60) up to the MBP, as I'll have even more flexibility. I'm very impressed with what can be done with GB without any additional equipment.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #9 of 44
here is a couple of songs I wrote back in about 94-95. They were recorded into the sequencer of a Yamaha SY99 which was used to control a bunch of various other synths.

I apologize for the singing in the first track, I was just trying to make a vocal melody and just used the first words that sprung to mind! hehe. Usually I just wrote music without thinking about words or vocals. This is the only track ever with me singing on it! Its bad, and I know it! but I think the music's ok. And I was only 19 at the time!

The other synths were a Korg Prophecy, Ensoniq Asr10, Korg Trinity, Yamaha AN1x, the SY99 and a Novation BassStation. There was no computer used for this, though I later bought a PowerMac 4400 for Cubase 3. I ran the whole mix through an Alesis compressor to limit it via a Mackie mixer, and a couple of Ensoniq Dp2's, and a Boss Dr660 might appear in there at times along with some various other effect units. All classic stuff!

The second track is pretty much just the Ensoniq ASR, which at the time had a nice Piano and strings sounds that came on a 1.44MB floppy drive. Thats right 1.44 Megabytes not the 2 gig Piano samples you get today.

I used to religiously avoid using 'loops' or sample CD's, though it was the fashion, because I wanted to learn how to do everything myself right down to the last nitty-gritty. so everything you hear is 100% my effort!

there probably isn't much bandwidth so they might not stay up for long, and Im sorry, but since I switched to a PC, I recorded these into it from a minidisc which they are stored on into wma. But if you can listen, go ahead!

REMOVED WMA'S SEE LATER POST

[edit] the first track sound good if you turn up the volume, and the bass, and are off your face on E's
post #10 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

here is a couple of songs I wrote back in about 94-95. They were recorded into the sequencer of a Yamaha SY99 which was used to control a bunch of various other synths.

I apologize for the singing in the first track, I was just trying to make a vocal melody and just used the first words that sprung to mind! hehe. Usually I just wrote music without thinking about words or vocals. This is the only track ever with me singing on it! Its bad, and I know it! but I think the music's ok.

The other synths were a Korg Prophecy, Ensoniq Asr10, Korg Trinity, Yamaha AN1x, the SY99 and a Novation BassStation. There was no computer used for this, though I later bought a PowerMac 4400 for Cubase 3. I ran the whole mix through an Alesis compressor to limit it via a Mackie mixer, and a couple of Ensoniq Dp2's, and a Boss Dr660 might appear in there at times along with some various other effect units. All classic stuff!

The second track is pretty much just the Ensoniq ASR, which at the time had a nice Piano and strings sounds that came on a 1.44MB floppy drive. Thats right 1.44 Megabytes not the 2 gig Piano samples you get today.

I used to religiously avoid using 'loops' or sample CD's, though it was the fashion, because I wanted to learn how to do everything myself right down to the last nitty-gritty. so everything you hear is 100% my effort!

there probably isn't much bandwidth so they might not stay up for long, and Im sorry, but since I switched to a PC, I recorded these into it from a minidisc which they are stored on into wma. But if you can listen, go ahead!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/mesinging.wma
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/piano3.wma

[edit] the first track sound good if you turn up the volume, and the bass, and are off your face on E's

DOH! I wish they were mp3! As part of my recent migration back to Mac, I've vowed to keep my MBP Microsoft Free for as long as possible! The down side is that the only WMA codecs I've found are the MS ones.

Here's a deal for you: Convert em to mp3, and I'll host em for you. I've got 750 GB of monthly bandwidth available. you can do the conversion with DBPoweramp, I think. Google for it.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

DOH! I wish they were mp3! As part of my recent migration back to Mac, I've vowed to keep my MBP Microsoft Free for as long as possible! The down side is that the only WMA codecs I've found are the MS ones.

Here's a deal for you: Convert em to mp3, and I'll host em for you. I've got 750 GB of monthly bandwidth available. you can do the conversion with DBPoweramp, I think. Google for it.

I just tried opening them in iTunes. It works! it takes a few seconds to convert them, but you should be able to hear them, obviously this is itunes on a PC, dont know if this works on a mac?
post #12 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

I just tried opening them in iTunes. It works! it takes a few seconds to convert them, but you should be able to hear them, obviously this is itunes on a PC, dont know if this works on a mac?

hmm. lemme give it a try!

**EDIT** Negatory. have to have the MS codecs installed to open them in iTunes on mac. I'll shoot ya a PM with my email address, and if you like you can send me the files. I'll post em and give you the links.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #13 of 44
It seems I can convert these using iTunes into Mp3's

so here they are again

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/mesinging.mp3
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/piano3.mp3

There is also this one I did a few years ago using completely software synths from www.refx.net. JunoX2 KICKED ASS but they removed it, but here it is...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/monster2.mp3

Celemourn - if you want to host these, thanks
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

It seems I can convert these using iTunes into Mp3's

so here they are again

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/mesinging.mp3
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/piano3.mp3

There is also this one I did a few years ago using completely software synths from www.refx.net. JunoX2 KICKED ASS but they removed it, but here it is...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/monster2.mp3

Celemourn - if you want to host these, thanks

I'll host them for you.
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
post #15 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHermit View Post

I'll host them for you.

erm.. ok.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

erm.. ok.

thanks! madhermit
post #17 of 44
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

thanks! madhermit...

Welcome. Anyone else who needs a host, just private message me and I'll give you an email address to send the files to. I'll toss em up and post the links in here. Just reply to the post I make with the links in it to supply commentary.

TMH
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
post #19 of 44
Deleted post
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
post #20 of 44
the story behind these two is that in 95 or 96 I decided to go to college to do Music Tech. It was chaos, because this was the first year that this course had been started at the college, so no-one, not even the tutors knew what was going on. After a few weeks they decided that the course would be we would learn about styles of music from the decades, 60,70,80,90, so we started at the sixties. I was quite excited at the time and wrote these two one night. The next week I left the course because it was shite.

Im not sure the first one is 60's style, i think it would be better as a theme music for some wacky slightly perverse cartoon

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/pinky.mp3
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/70s.mp3

these are pretty much the ensoniq - (piano, flute,strings, sax) yamaha sy99 and a dr660 drum machine with a bassStation for the bassline in the second track.
post #21 of 44
Thread Starter 

Marc, those are HOT! (in the non-sexual sense of the word)
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #22 of 44
Thread Starter 
Ok, I'll just pretend I didn't say what was in this post.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Marc, those are HOT! (in the non-sexual sense of the word)

thanks! maybe one day i'll sort my act out and make something of myself.
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

the story behind these two is that in 95 or 96 I decided to go to college to do Music Tech. It was chaos, because this was the first year that this course had been started at the college, so no-one, not even the tutors knew what was going on. After a few weeks they decided that the course would be we would learn about styles of music from the decades, 60,70,80,90, so we started at the sixties. I was quite excited at the time and wrote these two one night. The next week I left the course because it was shite.

Im not sure the first one is 60's style, i think it would be better as a theme music for some wacky slightly perverse cartoon

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/pinky.mp3
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/70s.mp3

these are pretty much the ensoniq - (piano, flute,strings, sax) yamaha sy99 and a dr660 drum machine with a bassStation for the bassline in the second track.

MarcUK's music can be found at:

Http://www.TheMadHermit.com/Music/pinky.mp3
Http://www.TheMadHermit.com/Music/70s.mp3

TMH
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
post #25 of 44
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mysteries/newpiano.mp3

This is the last little piece I wrote a couple of years ago, after a long break from music, just to see if I could, it was using the default piano that shipped with Kontakt, but I didn't like the sound of it, so didn't get very far.
post #26 of 44
MarcUK's music can be found at:

Http://www.TheMadHermit.com/Music/newpiano.mp3

TMH
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
post #27 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHermit View Post

MarcUK's music can be found at:

Http://www.TheMadHermit.com/Music/newpiano.mp3

TMH

BTW Marc, on Piano3, was that all keyed directly to the recorder, or was sequencing used?
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #28 of 44
Celemourn's music can be found at:

Http://www.TheMadHermit.com/Music/Off-Duty.mp3

TMH
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
Madness follows me through all your lives - The Mad Hermit
Reply
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

BTW Marc, on Piano3, was that all keyed directly to the recorder, or was sequencing used?

that was played on the Ensoniq, it had a beautiful action on the keyboard, into the sequencer of the SY99. If you listen closely, there are 2 main parts to the piano, theres the main tune, and a kind of counter tune all going on at the same time, there was also probably a few bass notes added by manipulating the sequencer as im not too hot on 2 handed playing. Once I had a few bars down, I usually copied them and tweaked a few notes, so its not like I played the thing all the way through without making a mistake. Then I would add things like the strings, I cant remember if I added those by playing or whether I just added notes one at a time in the step-sequencer. All the other stuff in this was played in to the sequencer rather than sequence editted.

The track monster2 was entirely created within cubase by drawing in the tunes on the screen.

Pinky, and 70's were mostly 'played' into the sequencer on the SY99, apart from the drums which I step entered, but probably at about 20bpm less than the final recording. The arpegiatted flute on pinky was step-entered entirely ad-lib and was quite a suprise to actually find it made a nice tune, no thought went into it at all, it took about a minute to enter 8 bars. Subconsciously Im a genuis

newpiano was recorded into cubase without a metronome or quantizing, its just me playing adlib on the AN1x (which is the only synth I own now), but its still a multitracked piece.
post #30 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHermit View Post

Celemourn's music can be found at:

Http://www.TheMadHermit.com/Music/Off-Duty.mp3

TMH

Thanks, TMH.

I whipped this one up yesterday afternoon. Mostly loops (though I created two of the loops myself). Need to get my piano hooked up!
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #31 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHermit View Post

Welcome. Anyone else who needs a host, just private message me and I'll give you an email address to send the files to. I'll toss em up and post the links in here. Just reply to the post I make with the links in it to supply commentary.

TMH

Guys! Just sign up for a free account with iCompositions.com --- they have the free hosting and they can handle the traffic. It's an excellent site.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #32 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Guys! Just sign up for a free account with iCompositions.com --- they have the free hosting and they can handle the traffic. It's an excellent site.

Actually, I did just that. Got over 800 free loops too!

MUHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Actually, I probably wouldn't have signed up if it weren't for the loops.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

Actually, I did just that. Got over 800 free loops too!

MUHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Actually, I probably wouldn't have signed up if it weren't for the loops.

Oh, yes! I forgot about that...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #34 of 44
Neat samples of all kinds o stuff.

MarcUK,
Pinky is cute as hell, but 70's just frickin' rocks. Piano3 is also nice. You have a melodic 'bent'. I too thought my college music program, well, basically sucked, as they were teaching teachers and not writers/performers.

Wish more would admit to using this stuff. Since you can stuff MP3, Aiff, MIDI, files into GB and you also have ba-zillion's of loops to use, there is no shortage of input. There should be no shortage of output.

Paz
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
Reply
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly...it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Thomas Paine
Reply
post #35 of 44
Thread Starter 
Through The Belt of Jupiter

Not finished yet, as I still need to add some radio chatter to the background, but figured I'd put it out anyway.

Celemourn
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #36 of 44
Now this looks like a lot of fun
post #37 of 44
Thread Starter 
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #38 of 44
I just posted two songs on iCompositions.

The first one is a quick punk number and the second is a rock version of the wedding march that my wife walked down the isle to. I thought that was pretty cool of her to do so.

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=59959
http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=59960
post #39 of 44
Cool guys. Nice to see more people joining the iComp fold!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #40 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Cool guys. Nice to see more people joining the iComp fold!

yeah, it's like a cult, but without Kool-Aid or tithing.
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Got a GarageBand or Logic Creation? Share it!