or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Possible iPhone Built-In Front Camera?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Possible iPhone Built-In Front Camera?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Altho the iPhone is not 3G there could be a camera lurking on the front of the iPhone.

On Thursday, April 27, 2006 AppleInsider published this report: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1706

In this report they mentioned a patent that references to a camera embedded into the display and capable of taking pictures. They reference to LCD screens which is what the iPhone uses obviously. Here is the patent click (big link)

And if what previous reports are true, that the iPhone can be switched to 3G by a simple software upgrade, this could provided 3G capability with-out buying a new new iPhone.

Just my 2 cents
post #2 of 11
iPhone won't be upgradeable to 3G via a software upgrade. 3G requires separate, more expensive hardware.

Also, I doubt that display-embedded camera technology is financially feasible yet. More importantly, though, they're not going to sneak an incredibly expensive, pointless technology in there just to be say "SURPRISE" at some later point in time.
post #3 of 11
Plus they'd have to charge $1.99 to enable it.
post #4 of 11
An imbedded iSight camera for video conferencing would be the ultimate, but I think that may actually be illegal in the U.S. for some reason.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
An imbedded iSight camera for video conferencing would be the ultimate, but I think that may actually be illegal in the U.S. for some reason.

Well a stand alone iSight which is no longer avalible has been illegal in Europe becuase it does not comply with their No Lead standards.


Quote:
Plus they'd have to charge $1.99 to enable it.

Well ofcourse! Why the hell did Apple make such a stupid decision to charge people for the update/upgrade?


Quote:
iPhone won't be upgradeable to 3G via a software upgrade. 3G requires separate, more expensive hardware.

Also, I doubt that display-embedded camera technology is financially feasible yet. More importantly, though, they're not going to sneak an incredibly expensive, pointless technology in there just to be say "SURPRISE" at some later point in time.

I was just going on some previous reports that the iphone can be upgraded by software because it contains both technologys. But I doubt that will happen too soon if at all. And do we have display-embedded camera technology on the market yet? If so, how expensive is it?
post #6 of 11
I don't think Apple will use 3G on the iPhone until they can create a large enough battery (power-wise) because 3G is supposed to use a lot of power... I think, which is smart for Apple, because the battery life is already un-spectacular.

A screen camera would be interesting, for like video chatting and stuff
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Which is good, because the battery life is already un-spectacular.

Well which other touch screen WiFi, video, audio communication device can get better battery life?
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
MacHope theWorld \t
I don't think Apple will use 3G on the iPhone until they can create a large enough battery (power-wise) because 3G is supposed to use a lot of power... I think, which is smart for Apple, because the battery life is already un-spectacular.

A screen camera would be interesting, for like video chatting and stuff

Well as TenoBell said the battery life hangs out extremely well for a device that has all those features and I'm amazed that it even has that much time avalible for use! With all the "High Technology" inside it.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Plus they'd have to charge $1.99 to enable it.

Backdated to 1984. 8)
post #10 of 11
I think the "iphone" like its pioneering relative the "ipod" will go through many "upgrades" and "improvements" along the way.

Its probably inevitable that a camera in the front of the iphone will appear at some point down the road when teleconferencing is a more doable feature in a mobile unit.

Baby steps.

Apple tends to go with simple aesthetic solutions and evolve from there.

It will take time, and perhaps others will beat apple to the punch, but no one does it better, and when apple does do it...you can rest assured everyone will want one.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by regan View Post

Its probably inevitable that a camera in the front of the iphone will appear at some point down the road when teleconferencing is a more doable feature in a mobile unit.

What? You're living under a rock (or in the US). All 3G networks have this capability. All 3G handsets have this capability. RIGHT NOW. And 3G has been around for more than two years.

Put more simply... (two-way) teleconferencing (video call) has been a doable feature in a mobile unit for more than two years.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Possible iPhone Built-In Front Camera?