or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › macbook and external monitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

macbook and external monitor

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
hi,

I just bought a LG 19" monitor (1280x1024), an apple keyboard and a mighty mouse. I connected everything to my macbook so I could experience at home a larger screen etc etc.
The first thing i noticed is that I have to maintain my macbook open, i thought it was not supposed to go to sleep when I closed the lid since I have an external monitor, a keyboard and a mouse connected to it. It's not a big of a deal, but at the store they told me it would work and I've seen people saying on this forum that it would.
The second thing is that, in morror mode, at a resolution of 1280x1024 the image does not occupy the entire 19" monitor screen!!...In an horizontal axis it does but in a vertical one it doesn't....it leaves two black spaces on top and on bottom...
Is there something I'm doing wrong ?
Should I go to the store and ask for a replacemente monitor ? or a wide screen one with a resolution that matches the one on my macbook in order to ger a full sized screen ?

thanks
peace
post #2 of 4
When you close the lid of the monitor and it goes to sleep you have to press a button on your keyboard and/or mouse(can't remember which) to wake it back up. So like you said since you have an external keyboard and mouse it should work.

It's werid that at 1280x1024 it doesn't occupy all the space because that should be the proper maxium resolution of a non-widescreen 19". It's most likely not the mac doing it(because a macbook can drive up to 1920x1200), use the buttons on your monitor to try and autocalibrate it to fit or check your monitor manual.
I have a 17" with that resolution that I do lid closed mode with all the time and I never have problems and it always fits the screen.
My monitor like many has manual controls as well as an auto button that when pressed automatically fixes the screen's position, size and colour based on the connected computer, and mines a dirt cheap one that isn't from a noteable company like LG so there has to be a way to fix it.

Try what I've suggested and post back with your results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #3 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecking View Post

When you close the lid of the monitor and it goes to sleep you have to press a button on your keyboard and/or mouse(can't remember which) to wake it back up. So like you said since you have an external keyboard and mouse it should work.

It's werid that at 1280x1024 it doesn't occupy all the space because that should be the proper maxium resolution of a non-widescreen 19". It's most likely not the mac doing it(because a macbook can drive up to 1920x1200), use the buttons on your monitor to try and autocalibrate it to fit or check your monitor manual.
I have a 17" with that resolution that I do lid closed mode with all the time and I never have problems and it always fits the screen.
My monitor like many has manual controls as well as an auto button that when pressed automatically fixes the screen's position, size and colour based on the connected computer, and mines a dirt cheap one that isn't from a noteable company like LG so there has to be a way to fix it.

Try what I've suggested and post back with your results.

hey,

you know what. the first lines you wrote ended up solving all my problems eheh
i closed the lid and woke the macbook up and when the screen appeared it occupied the all screen!!...I guess when the lid is open the monitor tries to match the appearence of the macbooks lcd or something like that..since it's widescreen....but when the lid is closed it works just fine eheh

thanks a ton !!

peace
post #4 of 4
np now that you say that I understand what's going on, go into system preferences and choose displays and under the arrangement tab unclick "mirror displays" and now each monitor can act independantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › macbook and external monitor