or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple World Wide Developer Conference 2007 slated for June

Apple World Wide Developer Conference 2007 slated for June

post #1 of 80
Apple Inc's annual developer gathering is currently scheduled to take place during the second week of June, nearly two months earlier than last year's event, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the conference planning say the Cupertino-based Mac maker has reserved the dates of June 10th through the 15th for the event, with a keynote presentation by chief executive Steve Jobs slated for Monday the 11th.

As has been the case in recent years, the week-long conference will reportedly take place at the Moscone West convention center in downtown San Francisco. Dates, however, could shift ahead of Apple's formal announcement early next month.

WWDC 2007 is widely expected to represent the official coming out party of Apple's next-generation Leopard operating system, following full disclosure of its feature set during a separate event in the preceding months. Current company roadmaps also indicate that launch of at least one new Mac system will coincide with the developer conference.

Thus far, Apple has remained tight-lipped about a number of features it plans to roll out with Leopard. People familiar with the matter say the company intends to divulge additional details following the worldwide launch of Windows Vista from Redmond-based rival Microsoft Corp. later this month. Similar, Apple is reportedly withholding the introduction of its next-generation iLife and iWork software suits due to their contingencies on forthcoming Leopard technologies. During a recent conference call, members of the company's leadership told analysts to "stay tuned" for information on a new iLife release, hinting at an announcement in the not-too-distant future.

Last year's World Wide Developers Conference took place during the second week of August. It gave way to the first public demonstration of Leopard, new Xeon Xserves, and the quad-core Mac Pro workstation.
post #2 of 80
MacBook Pro's at this year's event?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #3 of 80
Leopard anyone?
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
"i find that if you keep talkin', your mouth comes up with stuff..." Karl Pilkington
post #4 of 80
My vote is for Mac Mini Pro!
post #5 of 80
They have moved it so it is will occur in the 'Spring' - I say this wil be the official release of Leopard. BTW, I think they're delaying the release of information on 'secret' features not to prevent copying by Vista (which they couldn't do in any case) but to allow Vista to establish its marketing direction before knowing what is in Leopard.
post #6 of 80
Isnt that when iPhone ships? June? What the hell, Steve? First, no mac stuff at MacWorld. Now, the WWDC occurs exactly when the iPhone ships?

Can someone sync Steve's iCal?
post #7 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

They have moved it so it is will occur in the 'Spring' - I say this wil be the official release of Leopard. BTW, I think they're delaying the release of information on 'secret' features not to prevent copying by Vista (which they couldn't do in any case) but to allow Vista to establish its marketing direction before knowing what is in Leopard.

I doubt very much that MS could turn around a quick copy if they had the source code in their hands 6 months ago. But I think your take on the delay is correct.

Lets also hope that the shenanigans on backdating of stock options is put to rest, it sure has hurt them this quarter
jgb
jgb
post #8 of 80
I'm fairly certain Apple will unveil the secret features of Leopard before long.
I'm sure Apple would love to take the wind out of Microsoft's sales during their Vista launch.

Windows diehards will buy Vista regardless of what Apple announces.
But since every new release of Windows is always marketed as "the solution to all the problems with our previous OS" many will consider upgrading once the marketing machine shifts into high gear.
post #9 of 80
Leopard is the operating system on the phone, so it makes sense that unique hardware should ship when Leopard is finalized. Same is true for the 8 core MacPros, which would depend on code in Leopard, rather than a Tiger update. By the way, what happened to 10.4.9?
post #10 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

I doubt very much that MS could turn around a quick copy if they had the source code in their hands 6 months ago. But I think your take on the delay is correct.

Lets also hope that the shenanigans on backdating of stock options is put to rest, it sure has hurt them this quarter

You should read his post again, he said he doubted they didn't reveal those features because Vista would copy them, but they kept them secret as Microsoft had to establish their marleting direction without having a clue what Apple's would be. I agree, and I also thing it wont hurt sales but rather boost them ala boom-factor/surprise-factor. As I have stated before I think the two main new features in Leopard will be; 1. New UI... 2. Radically new Finder, that relies heavily on Core Animation.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 80
First Day of Summer is June 21, 2007 so if unveiled at WWDC Leopard would still be released in "Spring 2007"
post #12 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

First Day of Summer is June 21, 2007 so if unveiled at WWDC Leopard would still be released in "Spring 2007"

Officially? in the USA?

Over here in the UK, it's the middle of summer. If someone was asked what season any day in June was here, they'd say 'Summer'. June 21 is the equinox or 'Midsummer'.

British Summer Time officially starts on Sunday 25th March 2007 until Sunday 28th October 2007. I think that's just us being optimistic though as everyone knows the British Summer lasts about 3 days in July.
post #13 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Officially? in the USA?

Over here in the UK, it's the middle of summer. If someone was asked what season any day in June was here, they'd say 'Summer'. June 21 is the equinox or 'Midsummer'.

British Summer Time officially starts on Sunday 25th March 2007 until Sunday 28th October 2007. I think that's just us being optimistic though as everyone knows the British Summer lasts about 3 days in July.

wasnt too bad this year though, but usually, yes about 3 days of sunshine.
post #14 of 80
Quote:

Officially? in the USA?

That is a six month period but you have four seasons. You are combining spring and summer together. spring starts in late march and ends in late june. summer ends in late september. autumn ends in late december. winter ends in late march. This is how it is in most of northern hemisphere. It is different near the tropics though.
post #15 of 80
Quote:

June 21 is the solstice, not the equinox. And yes, that is the start of summer on the Northern Hemisphere that is. (With the possible exception of the UK apparently...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer
post #16 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

WWDC 2007 is widely expected to represent the official coming out party of Apple's next-generation Leopard operating system...

Is that so? Widely expected? This is the first I've heard that prediction and I read this site every day.

Apple says spring. Spring rarely means June, at least as far as I've ever heard. Even in Minnesota, we are well into summer weather by June... solstice or not.

"Spring" is just too f-in ambiguous.

-Clive
My Mod: G4 Cube + Atom 330 CPU + Wiimote = Ultimate HTPC!
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
(Might I recommend the Libertarian Party as a good compromise between the equally terrible "DnR"?)
post #17 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

That is a six month period but you have four seasons. You are combining spring and summer together. spring starts in late march and ends in late june. summer ends in late september. autumn ends in late december. winter ends in late march. This is how it is in most of northern hemisphere. It is different near the tropics though.

"Spring" from 3/20 to 6/21 might be what's regarded as the official convention in the US, but it makes little sense. The summer solstice is 6/21, so it'd be like saying summer and spring have exactly the same daily distances to the sun, only inverted in time. Even considering the temperature "inertia" of the earth and atmosphere, it doesn't hold up. Even Shakespeare agrees with me, yo.

Edit: I guess we could agree Leopard should be released within what is commonly considered Spring in the US, so American readers can clarify this for us.
post #18 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquare View Post

June 21 is the solstice, not the equinox. And yes, that is the start of summer on the Northern Hemisphere that is. (With the possible exception of the UK apparently...)

Ah, those crazy Brits. Gotta love 'em.

-Clive
post #19 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple Inc's annual developer gathering is currently scheduled to take place during the second week of June, nearly two months earlier than last year's event, AppleInsider has learned.

I don't see what the big deal is. Last year was an anomaly. They pushed WWDC so they'd have Leopard ready to show off. But WWDC traditionally has taken place in May or June (esp. when there was a MW expo on the east coast).

And I surely would hope, for people spending $1500+ to go to the conference, that Apple doesn't waste its keynote showing off a bunch of closed hardware systems. Developers want to see stuff that affects them. Not much their developing talents can do for them with iPods, iTVs, iPhones, etc. And while a brief overview of all the new features in Leopard couldn't hurt, you would also hope that Apple will be doing more to prep them for the 'future' technologies they're working on, not just rehashing all the stuff they should know by the time Leopard ships (i.e. if Adobe is just finally getting some ideas of features in Leopard at this conference, their users are seriously screwed).
post #20 of 80
I said it before and I'll say it again, 2007 will be TYOA.
post #21 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Ah, those crazy Brits. Gotta love 'em.

What about the Irish?
Easter is always the first Sunday, after the first Full Moon, after the Vernal Equinox.

PS, I don't there's a chance in hell that Apple's Leopard reaease will be as far off as WWDC '07. If I had to take a guess I'd say Leopard will be in the shops by end of April at the Very Very latest.
post #22 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquare View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer

Sorry, yes. I shall try and get back in touch with my pagan self.
post #23 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

In the UK we don't really have four seasons due to the Gulf Stream, it's pretty much the season we call 'wet' most of the year, especially here in Yorkshire on the wrong side of the Pennines.

But joking aside, (I wrote that but realised I wasn't ), I'd guess most Brits would put the division of the seasons a month earlier at least than what you've written above. The official 'British Summer Time' is when our clocks move an hour. It bears little relation to the actual changes in the temperature, dryness of the air or height of the sun that most people would equate with summer.

All the seasonal chatter aside, a June release of Leopard is not what I'm expecting when Apple said 'Spring 2007'.
post #24 of 80
Doesn't Apple typically release OS's prior to WWDC so that they can cite market share statistics of the new OS versus the old one?
post #25 of 80
Quote:

All the seasonal chatter aside, a June release of Leopard is not what I'm expecting when Apple said 'Spring 2007'.

If there are truly exciting (and significant) 'secret' features yet to be revealed (which would be great) then I don't see how they can release it much before WWDC. If its truly significant then its going to need some significant time in the wild with beta testers or they will shoot themselves in the foot.
post #26 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What about the Irish?

As one who has a few drop of Irish blood in him, I say this:

How can you NOT love the Irish?

-Clive
post #27 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

If there are truly exciting (and significant) 'secret' features yet to be revealed (which would be great) then I don't see how they can release it much before WWDC. If its truly significant then its going to need some significant time in the wild with beta testers or they will shoot themselves in the foot.

It's looking more like that the later it gets, yes.

There's also quite a few new major features underneath like ZFS support, the weird mix of resolution independent widgets with bitmaps in the Finder but no new features and hints of a new interface design (in black Yeuch!) that make you think there's something up there that will need some serious testing.

I want a new Mac this 'Spring' but it seems pointless doing it without Leopard/iLife/iWork.
post #28 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

Can someone sync Steve's iCal?

The events calendar must be in Exchange. HAHAHAHAHA!!
post #29 of 80
The Iphone will be out maybe it will be time to handout the developer kit?
post #30 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrob View Post

Leopard is the operating system on the phone, so it makes sense that unique hardware should ship when Leopard is finalized. Same is true for the 8 core MacPros, which would depend on code in Leopard, rather than a Tiger update. By the way, what happened to 10.4.9?

No code from Leopard is required for 8 core Mac Pro's. We've already seen them running just fine.
post #31 of 80
Sorry iPhone!
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

"Spring" from 3/20 to 6/21 might be what's regarded as the official convention in the US, but it makes little sense. The summer solstice is 6/21, so it'd be like saying summer and spring have exactly the same daily distances to the sun, only inverted in time. Even considering the temperature "inertia" of the earth and atmosphere, it doesn't hold up. Even Shakespeare agrees with me, yo.

Edit: I guess we could agree Leopard should be released within what is commonly considered Spring in the US, so American readers can clarify this for us.

Look guys, Apple is a US company, making announcememts in the US. Whatever Spring may be anywhere else, companies here give our timing for events, just as companies give local timings wherever they may be from.

Isn't it enough we argue about their products?
post #33 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What about the Irish?
Easter is always the first Sunday, after the first Full Moon, after the Vernal Equinox.

PS, I don't there's a chance in hell that Apple's Leopard reaease will be as far off as WWDC '07. If I had to take a guess I'd say Leopard will be in the shops by end of April at the Very Very latest.

They seem to be having enough problems with it, that I can't see such an early date. The pressure is off them now that Vista is being released. Another month or two won't make a difference.
post #34 of 80
Quote:

I was planning to spout off about off about astronomic topics that I only vaguely understand to defend summer solstice as the beginning of summer, but I decided to do some research first. Found out I didn't know what I thought I knew (I'll never do reasearch again)...

from http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_170b.html

Quote:
There is a widespread misconception in this country--which extends, I might note, to the makers of most calendars, dictionaries, and encyclopedias--that summer "officially" starts on the day of the summer solstice, June 21 or 22, which is the longest day of the year. Americans also believe (1) that there is some valid scientific reason for doing it that way, and (2) that everybody in the Northern Hemisphere does it that way, and always has.

None of these things is true. So far as I have been able to discover, no scientific or governmental body has ever formally declared that summer starts on the solstice.

and further:

Quote:
The Oxford English Dictionary, somewhat confusingly, says that spring in Britain (and evidently in Ireland) runs from February 1 through April 30, but that summer runs from mid-May to mid-August. This leaves the first two weeks in May mysteriously unaccounted for, by my reckoning, but that is England for you.

The Irish appear to have opted for May 1 as the starting date of their summer, but it was not always thus. I have here an old Irish guidebook (1938) that says summer begins the day after the third Saturday in April (Sunday, presumably) and ends the day after the first Saturday in October. The May 1 starting date may strike Americans as odd, but it sure beats what they were using in 1938.

What did Shakespears say? yo

edit--------
Nevermind the question--I got it
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #35 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Look guys, Apple is a US company, making announcememts in the US. Whatever Spring may be anywhere else, companies here give our timing for events, just as companies give local timings wherever they may be from.

Isn't it enough we argue about their products?

Huh? I was asking what "Spring" means in the US. I guess I wasn't clear.
post #36 of 80
Quote:

Huh? I was asking what "Spring" means in the US. I guess I wasn't clear.

No, you weren't asking, you were telling.

My point is that it doesn't matter. Can we get on with it?
post #37 of 80
Quote:

No, you weren't asking, you were telling.

My point is that it doesn't matter. Can we get on with it?

No, I was very unclearly asking:

"
I guess we could agree Leopard should be released within what is commonly considered Spring in the US, so American readers can clarify this for us.
"

It matters because if "spring" is understood as March-May, we can reasonably expect Leopard by then; if it's understood as April-June, we can expect it (in average) about a month later. I meant that officially it's 3/20-6/21, but, as it makes little sense, maybe "spring" really means something else in the minds of people, and Apple would presumably mean the same, and not 3/20-6/21. I mean, that's what I meant--no need to be mean, even if mine English doesn't convey what's in mine mind with minimal amounts of noise. Miny moe.
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

The Oxford English Dictionary, somewhat confusingly, says that spring in Britain (and evidently in Ireland) runs from February 1 through April 30, but that summer runs from mid-May to mid-August. This leaves the first two weeks in May mysteriously unaccounted for, by my reckoning, but that is England for you.

That seems about right. As long as Apple don't release stuff whilst the UK is in it's temporal holiday and I'm not recovering from Whit Week Malarkey, then we'll let them slip into May's official summery-ness.

It'll be well into summer anyway by the time 10.5.1 is released.
post #39 of 80
Quote:

No, I was very unclearly asking:

"
I guess we could agree Leopard should be released within what is commonly considered Spring in the US, so American readers can clarify this for us.
"

It matters because if "spring" is understood as March-May, we can reasonably expect Leopard by then; if it's understood as April-June, we can expect it (in average) about a month later. I meant that officially it's 3/20-6/21, but, as it makes little sense, maybe "spring" really means something else in the minds of people, and Apple would presumably mean the same, and not 3/20-6/21. I mean, that's what I meant--no need to be mean, even if mine English doesn't convey what's in mine mind with minimal amounts of noise. Miny moe.

Ok, the last time for me.

Spring in the US, where Apple is incorporated, and makes most of its major announcements, takes place from March 21st through June 20th.

Call it what you may from where you live, those are the relevant dates.
post #40 of 80
Quote:

Ok, the last time for me.

Spring in the US, where Apple is incorporated, and makes most of its major announcements, takes place from March 21st through June 20th.

Call it what you may from where you live, those are the relevant dates.

So can any of you Americans explain why your seasons begin mid month rather than
the start of months?

Just a question for curiosity sake

Scott
Shiny Side Up
Shiny Side Up
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple World Wide Developer Conference 2007 slated for June