or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Cramer: Cingular to give away 18 months of service with iPhone

Cramer: Cingular to give away 18 months of service with iPhone - Page 2

post #41 of 70
I am the customer Cingular (ATT) is after. I have Verizon for 4 years and I love the iPhone. BUT:
• I had Cingular (PacBell) prior to my Verizon and it was sucks, no reception at home and office.
• I have friends that complain to this day about Cingular reception and they live near to where I live.

So, I am willing to test the iPhone and see if the Ciingular service is any better now. The plan is very exciting and it would make me buy 2 iPhones. So I hope it's true. The current model just doesn't work. iPhones are expensive and on top of that 2 years contract to a possible suck service is a deal breaker IMHO.
My Verizon plan expires in March and I'll be paying month by month until the iPhone comes out. Let's see, maybe I'll be a switcher.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #42 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

everyone here who thinks cingular sux is just living in a spotty area. TOO BAD FOR YOU.

i would not consider downtown boston a "spotty area"...

sometimes my phone works there sometimes it doesn't. copley square, same thing. hynnes convention center, i have to walk around to find signal.

cingular is not good. it sux. the 2-year contract might prevent me from buying an iPhone as i don't want to get locked in with them again now that my 2 year is amost done (it expires in september)

plus, i can't see the darn "cool" features of the iPhone being so cool with a crappy service... it would be like experiencing safari with dial up.
post #43 of 70
I am beginning to get REALLY concerned by all the chatter and speculation on the part of the Pogues and the Cramers of the world about a product that practically no one will touch/see/feel for another five months.

The reason for my worry? By the time the 'iPhone' actually comes around (if it will be called that), we are going to be six months into commiserating, salivating, debating, venting, praising, loving, hating the darn thing, that it will seem like old hat -- and something of a let-down -- when we actually get it in our hands.

Contrary to my initial reaction, I now think that Apple and Jobs made a terrible mistake with their decision to splashily introduce the product six months before it was made available.

\
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Contrary to my initial reaction, I now think that Apple and Jobs made a terrible mistake with their decision to splashily introduce the product six months before it was made available.

It's hard to know, but what would have happened if Apple didn't announce the phone? It was probably the most anticipated unannounced product I remember. The stock might have taken a pretty big dump.
post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's hard to know, but what would have happened if Apple didn't announce the phone? It was probably the most anticipated unannounced product I remember. The stock might have taken a pretty big dump.

Maybe..... that it why I said "splashily introduced".....
post #46 of 70
This deal sounds great....get an iPhone + reduced/free wireless service of some sort. But what happens after the 18 months? Joe Consumer's common practice might be to upgrade to a phone with newer technology, either with the same carrier or a new one, and chuck (recycle) the old phone. But who would ditch a $600 phone to upgrade?

I love this phone, and all things Apple, and am dying to buy it with the rumored deal. But one problem with having a multi-functional device is that one of the functions could become antiquated while the others are just fine. The iPod portion of the iPhone will still be amazing at the end of this 18-24 month contract. Hell, my wife's iPod mini is still chugging along perfectly. But the phone portion is already a bit behind the latest technology. In 18-months, it'll be a dinosaur.

Many questions, some of which will be answered as Apple has six months to tune this thing before launch. And I'm sure I'll still plop down the $$. But with caution.

Thoughts anyone?
post #47 of 70
Quote:

Please tell me what part of Bluetooth you are losing. Apple's iPhone page says it supports Bluetooth 2.0/EDR. 2.0/EDR is not needed if you just wanted to use a Bluetooth headset.

Whoops. My bad.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I've said this before, but you have to figure the big deal breaker with Verizon is that are unwilling to relinquish control of content.

They, more than any US carrier, have been completely nuts about making sure you have to use their music, video and image services, as well as their "accessory kits" for various functionality.

CEO Ivan Seidenberg is kind of a dick about this stuff, and there is no way he's going to make nice with Jobs.

Holy shit...we agree on TWO things! This is getting scary.

The folks at Verizon are content NAZIS. The predecessor to the E815 was crippled "beyond reason" according to reports of users. They still have disabled OBX and using it as a bluetooth modem is not officially supported, even with a mobile web account. I have enabled mine and it works well with the small flaw of disconnecting with no activity after 3-5 minutes.

I can't see Verizon hooking up with Apple unless they start getting totally killed by the iPhone (could happen, but with their millions of customers it would take a long time, no matter how successful the iPhone is). You're right...I can't see them allowing iTunes store integration or what not. Right now they control the VCAST video (a laughable piece of shit service for...wait for it....$15 a month more), the music, all software, etc.
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Jim Cramer, host of CNBC's "Mad Money, and director of "TheStreet.com," says AT&T is planning to steal away Verizon Wireless subscribers by an enticing offer to go along with the iPhone: Free AT&T Wireless subscription for a year and a half with the purchase of Apple's iPhone.

In essence, this would substantially lower the perceived price of the iPhone, providing a great incentive for early adopters.

I'm in!

http://www.thestreet.com/_mktw/funds.../10334546.html

Hmm...if the iPhone is what it's suppose to be and Cingular (leading the wireless world with subscribers) having the exclusive why do need anything else to entice the masses. Could it be that Cingular is getting nervous that Apple's iPhone will not deliver what it's suppose to, the domination of wireless phone market ala the mp3 market. I think so, Cingular is almost crapping in its corporate pants right about now. There are much much better cellphones out there and coming out by Samsung, LG, Palm and Motorola that surpass the capability and functionality of the iPhone. iPhone takes the cake in asthetics but it's no Verizon nor Sprint together with Nextel nor T-Mobile killer hence the gimick by Cingular...

www.yaketyyaker.com
post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by techdisciple View Post

Hmm...if the iPhone is what it's suppose to be and Cingular (leading the wireless world with subscribers) having the exclusive why do need anything else to entice the masses. Could it be that Cingular is getting nervous that Apple's iPhone will not deliver what it's suppose to, the domination of wireless phone market ala the mp3 market. I think so, Cingular is almost crapping in its corporate pants right about now. There are much much better cellphones out there and coming out by Samsung, LG, Palm and Motorola that surpass the capability and functionality of the iPhone. iPhone takes the cake in asthetics but it's no Verizon nor Sprint together with Nextel nor T-Mobile killer hence the gimick by Cingular...

Um...if they think the iPhone is a loser I'm pretty sure they could just shrug their shoulders and move on rather than offer such an enticing deal. What do they get out of it?

I'm guessing this is corporate kicking someone when they are down if true. An iPhone with free 18month anything (data or voice) is a no brainer for any smart phone user.

At the end of 2 years, even if the iPhone is obsolete who cares? The end cost is the same as a subsidized smart phone. Toss it, keep it, whatever.

The only thing that can burn Cingular is limited availability. Then its just a few subs...old or new.

Vinea
post #51 of 70
1. On the subject at hand, if this is true, my wife and I will get two iPhones.

2. On the Cingular quality issue: I and my family and friends have all used a combination of Sprint/Nextel, Cingular/AT&T, and Verizon. All of us complain or have complained about something. I currently have Cingular, and call quality is sometimes iffy. But usually its fine. Most of the people I know who have Verizon can't stop using swear words whenever the subject comes up--sometimes for their dropped calls, and more often for their customer service. (Cingular reps can be pretty dense too.) And this includes my father-in-law who worked for AT&T/Nynex/Verizon his whole life. On both networks, sometimes reception is good, sometimes great, and often crappy. Sprint was my baby. Perfect voice quality, and never a dropped call. But their reception area was frustratingly small. I had to switch when I realized I was never going to get reception at my parents' house or my wife's mother's house, or whenever I was on the road between certain cities (which was often when I needed it most).

3. Did I mention that if this is true, my wife and I will get two iPhones?
post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteeno View Post

This deal sounds great....get an iPhone + reduced/free wireless service of some sort. But what happens after the 18 months? Joe Consumer's common practice might be to upgrade to a phone with newer technology, either with the same carrier or a new one, and chuck (recycle) the old phone. But who would ditch a $600 phone to upgrade?

I love this phone, and all things Apple, and am dying to buy it with the rumored deal. But one problem with having a multi-functional device is that one of the functions could become antiquated while the others are just fine. The iPod portion of the iPhone will still be amazing at the end of this 18-24 month contract. Hell, my wife's iPod mini is still chugging along perfectly. But the phone portion is already a bit behind the latest technology. In 18-months, it'll be a dinosaur.

Many questions, some of which will be answered as Apple has six months to tune this thing before launch. And I'm sure I'll still plop down the $$. But with caution.

Thoughts anyone?

Congratulations on your first post!
Now, time for a beat down.
Quote:

...But one problem with having a multi-functional device is that one of the functions could become antiquated while the others are just fine...

The iPhone is as much a computer as it is a cell phone.
So in two years you will be running iPhone OS X 10.6.1 and the phone will be much better than when you bought it, not antiquated.
Quote:

...But the phone portion is already a bit behind the latest technology. In 18-months, it'll be a dinosaur...

What you saw in the keynote was a beta of an unfinished product.
In 18-months, it will be far more advanced with every point upgrade Apple releases.
post #53 of 70
One point a lot of the analysts seem to be missing is that "features" or "capabilities" are not necessarily what makes a product popular.

I think the whole "iPod v. the World" scenario is a prime example.

Countless companies are trying to beat out the iPod by having an extensive feature list, and it isn't working.

I suspect we'll see a similar scenario with the iPhone. Apple's goal? All the features you need, and nothing you don't. I'm all for it.

Sure it won't be what everyone wants right off the bat, but down the road there'll be something for everyone. Just as there is with iPods right now.
Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone
post #54 of 70
That's one thing I think most analysts are missing... this thing is endlessly upgradeable on the OS and software side. No hardwired interface, just keep adding apps. The trick will be getting the hardware solid enough to be usable for the next few years. But the phone functionality will only get better.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
post #55 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

since this is a rumor, let me add my GUESS:
if this is true, i'm guessing that it's 18 months of free unlimited DATA when you sign up for a VOICE plan.

Yeah, sounds too good to be true...
post #56 of 70
Yeah, it sounds like free a free data plan. I imagine by June that the EDGE data system would cost $15 per month for unlimited data. Giving that away free for 18 months would be a $270 savings for iPhone users, which is what a subsidized phone would cost AT&T.

Sprint offers free GRPS data plans for it's business users, so this would not be too much of a stretch for AT&T to offer to the few million US iPhone users.
post #57 of 70
I see a lot of Cingular hate, but, it's AT&T now. With the networks combined, can it really be that bad? Or, are we just a little miffed that we're already under contract with another carrier?
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I see a lot of Cingular hate, but, it's AT&T now. With the networks combined, can it really be that bad? Or, are we just a little miffed that we're already under contract with another carrier?

My feeling is that Cingular and Verizon are about the same. Personally, I have Verizon. I often get crappy quality (echo and delay are my biggest complaints). Their service reps are totally incompetent. When my wife and I split, the totally botched separating our family share plan. First they wanted us to go to a store. Then they wanted us to call together. Then they messed that up. It finally got solved. One thing I like though...I can pay my bill SUPER late and they don't seem to care or charge me a late fee. After two months or whatever, they just direct you to their customer service line when you try and make a call....no credit report or anything.

Now...Sprint sucked when I had it about 6 years ago. I don't know how it is now. T-Mobile blows from what I hear. AT+T was terrible on its own, according to a family member.

I don't know for sure, but Cingular and Verizon seem to come close to the same level of suckitude.
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

My feeling is that Cingular and Verizon are about the same. Personally, I have Verizon. I often get crappy quality (echo and delay are my biggest complaints). Their service reps are totally incompetent. When my wife and I split, the totally botched separating our family share plan. First they wanted us to go to a store. Then they wanted us to call together. Then they messed that up. It finally got solved. One thing I like though...I can pay my bill SUPER late and they don't seem to care or charge me a late fee. After two months or whatever, they just direct you to their customer service line when you try and make a call....no credit report or anything.

Now...Sprint sucked when I had it about 6 years ago. I don't know how it is now. T-Mobile blows from what I hear. AT+T was terrible on its own, according to a family member.

I don't know for sure, but Cingular and Verizon seem to come close to the same level of suckitude.

That's what i've experienced as well. All carriers have a some major negatives. Tell me who you like and I'm sure someone will post some thing negative about them. Pick your poison.
post #60 of 70
They announced the iPhone because they didn't have shit else to announce at "Macworld". If it wasn't for the iPhone, what was the purpose of Macworld. No tiger news, no iLife news, no iWork news, no new hardware,...
Quote:

post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

That's one thing I think most analysts are missing... this thing is endlessly upgradeable on the OS and software side. No hardwired interface, just keep adding apps. The trick will be getting the hardware solid enough to be usable for the next few years. But the phone functionality will only get better.

At $1.99 per upgrade/app. We can thank SOP 97-2 (that acronym is for the accounting folks in the audience).
post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

They announced the iPhone because they didn't have shit else to announce at "Macworld". If it wasn't for the iPhone, what was the purpose of Macworld. No tiger news, no iLife news, no iWork news, no new hardware,...

I'd say it's more likely the other way around. They needed to announce the iPhone (for a lot of different reasons) so other things were pushed to the background. I'm expecting several mac related announcements/release in February.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #63 of 70
post #64 of 70
Damn...mayabe they are wrong? I probably won't be able to get it unless it has a very good deal with it.
post #65 of 70
well, it turns out wrong information. jsut take a look this article. Cingular will never this service for customers. of course, they could drop the price of iphone. but 18 months for what? I don't believe.

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/12436/
Life is good to enjoy....
and Mac makes me more please....
Life is good to enjoy....
and Mac makes me more please....
post #66 of 70
wow a year and a half free service...definitly going to be on my purchase list if this happens, im curious to what exactly they are going to give away (type of plan)

and ya 3G in europe is horrible, i recently brought my gf's blackjack and ran it over vodafone i beleive, and wow worse than my GSM sidekick 3 on their networks...sucked sorry but 3G is a waiste for now...and europe isnt any different
post #67 of 70
Quote:
These are incredibly expensive and gay in canada

I thought you were all gay up there? That's what I heard when I was watching FOX News I think...

Anyway...if this is true I may switch...of course all my family and my fiancée got Verizon to be "in". Ugh I think it would be kind of selfish to make everyone else switch...do I get to pick a list of 5 people to be "in" or am I thinking of another company?

I however don't believe this rumor. It sounds WAY too good to be true. If it's true I may have to do it--but it's just way too good to be true.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #68 of 70
Agreed. I was hopeful at first, but the most I can see happening is 18mon free *data* on top of a simple voice plan. (Then, after you've found it indispensible, they charge you the full bend-over-buddy data rates for the last 6 months of the plan.)
post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

What you refer to as CDMA is actually a standard called IS-95, and it no longer exists aside from legacy support. All 3G standards use one form of CDMA or another, so saying "CDMA" basically is equivalent to saying "3G."

It's quite likely that Apple is working on a CDMA2000-based EVDO model, to run on Sprint and possibly Verizon networks, as well as the many other Asian and non-EU European EVDO networks.

It's quite likely that Apple is also working on a WCDMA-based HSDPA model for NTT and EU 3G networks, but EVDO is probably going to come first because it has a greater installed base and because many nations have existing spectrum allocation in the WCDMA range, the USA being one of them.

I beg your pardon? CDMA is all that is available where I live. No 3G. "The middle of nowhere" is probably about right.

Cingular and Verizon can duke it out somewhere else. Neither is available here.
post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I see a lot of Cingular hate, but, it's AT&T now. With the networks combined, can it really be that bad?

actually cingular was very good BEFORE the merger. after they merged with AT&T the signal became sh!t and customer service got worst (than it used to be)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Cramer: Cingular to give away 18 months of service with iPhone