or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › No audio output device shown on MacBook Core 2 Duo

No audio output device shown on MacBook Core 2 Duo

post #1 of 6
All of a sudden there is no audio output or input device listed in the audio control panel. All of the system alert sound section is grayed out and the volume up/down visual overlay display has a circle with an slash through it. Bottom line = I have no sound I/O.

Any one else run into this?
post #2 of 6
Try trashing your sound prefs. Users-library-preference-com.apple.sound.plist
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #3 of 6
odd.. no sound pref exists.

On my other Macs where I use professional external and internal soundcards if I don't have one selected or connected no audio apps playback. I am getting similar behavior with iTunes on this machine - you hit play but it doesn't actually play, as if it's waiting for a loaded driver/device to be present.
post #4 of 6
Formatted + Reinstalled OS + Migrated User Data = Fixed.

post #5 of 6
Hujib, I have the same issue on my iMac G4. Did you also have issues with the power on - startup chime not being audible when you had the missing devices in your sound preferences?

Wiping everything clean and reinstalling is going to be a major pain for me. I am trying to avoid it if possible. However, if you had the issue with the chime as well, I will try it out before going to Apple.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Hujib, I have the same issue on my iMac G4. Did you also have issues with the power on - startup chime not being audible when you had the missing devices in your sound preferences?

Wiping everything clean and reinstalling is going to be a major pain for me. I am trying to avoid it if possible. However, if you had the issue with the chime as well, I will try it out before going to Apple.

No chime related issue with my mess. Using an external drive, I used "SuperDuper" to clone my existing machine to the external drive, booted off OS X Tiger DVD, formatted and reinstalled and then "migrated" user back to clean install. It took 3 hrs in total.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › No audio output device shown on MacBook Core 2 Duo