or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Spilled water on macbook! Help!!

Spilled water on macbook! Help!!

post #1 of 4
I just spilled a 16 oz glass of water all over my desk, and a lot of it got onto my three-week-old macbook. Now the lower left-hand corner of the screen is discolored. There's a sort of Rorshach-looking blob that is much lighter than it should be.

What do you I do now??
post #2 of 4
let it dry out with power off and battery out. If, when it's dry, the discoloration is still there, then you'll need to have it looked at by an Apple auth. repair person. Applecare can give you names and numbers for the nearest repair guys. TURN IT OFF NOW!
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
post #3 of 4
What is your remaining warranty on the system? Did you get the 2 year AppleCare? Just wondering, if it might be worthwhile to open up some stuff at let it sit for several days. That worked for two mobile phones that sat in the laundry and the pool for a few minutes. Including some initial "LCD waterclogged" look that sorted itself out after a few days.
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

let it dry out with power off and battery out. If, when it's dry, the discoloration is still there, then you'll need to have it looked at by an Apple auth. repair person. Applecare can give you names and numbers for the nearest repair guys. TURN IT OFF NOW!

Simply waiting for the water to dry out won't work. The cramped innnards of any laptop make the evaporation of water very slow. The longer that water sits on the circuitry of your machine, the more corrosion it's going to inflict.

As Celemourn said, get it to a repair person, but do it now, before irreversible damage can be done. If you do not you'll risk bricking your expensive machine.
The secret of life: Proteins fold up and bind things.
The secret of life: Proteins fold up and bind things.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Spilled water on macbook! Help!!