or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › anything new with iPhone since macworld???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

anything new with iPhone since macworld???

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
welllll i havent been paying attention to much since about a week after the iphone was released...i thought id get away from the hype and consider coming back later to see if anything was new, well im back so what rumors and truths are there that have come out....only one i heard was it may be released earlier than expected but idk if thats for real or not
post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 
come on anyone know anything????
post #3 of 13
No...
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
"If I had played my career hitting singles like Pete (Rose), I'd wear a dress." - Mickey Mantle
Reply
post #4 of 13
Well, I haven't heard ANYONE or read ANYTHING that mentions editing text on the iPhone. A demo that I saw had shown how precise cursor placement with your finger was accomplished. Something you probably would not think of until the issue arises. Seems like it would be difficult but when you hold your finger down onto the screen for something like 2 seconds, the iPhone would then pop up a bubble like a magnifying glass. You could then drag the cursor to where ever you wanted to insert characters or delete or whatever. This circular window area had everything enlarged 2 or 3 times over so it was easy to see and easy to place the cursor with your finger.

After the demo, it no longer seemed difficult.
post #5 of 13
I know of ONE definite change to the software in iPhone:

The 'Cingular' at the top left of every screen will become 'at&t'
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
lol good one..

well im just looking to see if anyone knows if iChat is gonna be there, as well as GPS enabled.....umm i hope final version will have 3G, but thats one of those spontaneous things that just wont happen, i hope they wont release the new iphone until 2 years after i get this first one, cus ill be mad if they introduce a new iphone 8 months later with 3G and all that lol...
post #7 of 13
This looks to be something that we did not know of before.


Article
An iPhone Performance Secret: LLVM
Thursday, February 1st, 2007 at 2:50 PM - by John Martellaro

Apple has found a way to achieve amazing graphics speed in a shirt pocket device, the iPhone, by using a special form of code optimization called "Low Level Virtual Machine," (LLVM) according to graphics and algorithms specialist Charles Ying.

Mr. Ying wrote Thursday that Apple has taken the approach of using its expertise in Mac OS X, OpenGL, and code optimization via LLVM in the development in the iPhone.

Small personal electronics that can fit in your pocket are always short of the electrical power required for fast video processing. And yet Apple has demonstrated very impressive graphics capabilities with the iPhone. The key is extensive code optimization at every stage, from the CPU to the graphics system, from compile to runtime, and that can be done with LLVM.

Because the iPhone is running "OS X," a variant of Mac OS X, Apple can take advantage of their expertise in OpenGL graphics used by Mac OS X to achieve the amazing scrolling feature and finger resizing of graphics of the iPhone. But any interpreted interface, like OpenGL would have to be highly optimized to achieve that kind of performance in a small device. With LLVM, the programmer can enable program optimization in every realm: compile, link, and even at runtime.

Apple has taken several steps to achieve this. Apple has quietly contributed ARM enhancements to LLVM. Secondly, LLVM has been integrated with Apple's primary compiler in Xcode, called gcc.

When all is said and done, Apple has achieved a highly optimized OS X and Open GL code base that can exploit Core Animation on an ARM processor.

This is very likely why Apple chose to use "OS X" in the iPhone and how Apple can achieve amazing graphics in a shirt pocket device with limited electrical power.




So now we know the iPhone utilizes Open GL as well.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
and hopefully not everything drains the battery haha
post #9 of 13
Another something we did not know before:

The two-megapixel sensor in the iPhone will be manufactured by Micron Technology (and is about a quarter inch across at the diagonal). This two-megapixel camera also captures 30 fps. What we don't know for sure is whether or not Apple will enable this sensor's ability to capture video but we can presume they will.

This was reported on at the Italian based Affari & Finanza newspaper and setteB.it. Also of note is that Micron Technology is from Italy.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongold View Post

So now we know the iPhone utilizes Open GL as well.

We always knew this, it's running OS X if you recall.

As for anything new, no just a bunch of a Movie Stars saying Hello.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

We always knew this, it's running OS X if you recall.

As for anything new, no just a bunch of a Movie Stars saying Hello.

Sebastian

No, we did not know this. It WAS stated that the iPhone had "OS X" but not "Mac OS X". Apple is just using the term in a broad, generalizing manner now. This is evidenced in the inclusion of OS X that is found on the Airport Extreme and the Apple TV. Sure, there would be shared technologies but it should be obvious that not everything from the "Mac OS X" will be incorporated into the iPhone "OS X"... or the Apple TV "OS X" or the Airport Extreme "OS X".

Does the iPhone's OS X also include the same kernel features that provide SMP scalability and the same virtual memory schemes as Mac OS X? Does the iPhone OS X provide the same 64 bit features as Mac OS X does? Does the iPhone OS X use Automator and AppleScript technologies? Does the iPhone OS X utilize the GIMP-Print driver project that the Mac OS X relies on. I bet the iPhone doesn't use Core Audio!

So I argue that we did NOT know this until it was leaked by this Charles Ying guy.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongold View Post

No, we did not know this. It WAS stated that the iPhone had "OS X" but not "Mac OS X". Apple is just using the term in a broad, generalizing manner now. This is evidenced in the inclusion of OS X that is found on the Airport Extreme and the Apple TV. Sure, there would be shared technologies but it should be obvious that not everything from the "Mac OS X" will be incorporated into the iPhone "OS X"... or the Apple TV "OS X" or the Airport Extreme "OS X".

Does the iPhone's OS X also include the same kernel features that provide SMP scalability and the same virtual memory schemes as Mac OS X? Does the iPhone OS X provide the same 64 bit features as Mac OS X does? Does the iPhone OS X use Automator and AppleScript technologies? Does the iPhone OS X utilize the GIMP-Print driver project that the Mac OS X relies on. I bet the iPhone doesn't use Core Audio!

So I argue that we did NOT know this until it was leaked by this Charles Ying guy.

I argue that Darwin is portable and Apple removed everything that isn't needed, including Automator, 64 Bit, or GIMP-Print drivers. Obviously Apple needs a way to display graphics though, especially for Core Animation, so why the hell would they replace OpenGL. Officially you can argue we didn't officially know, however, it doesn't take Rocket Science to figure out that Apple was using OpenGL for the Graphics.



They don't say Core, but they do say Video, Audio, and Graphics. You can also take that image for granted as it shows exactly what it does share with Mac OS X. In other words, everything that is actually relevant to the iPhone is taken from Darwin, so yes it can be considered OS X.

Sebastian
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
Þ & þ are called "Thorn" & þey represent þe sound you've associated "th" wiþ since þe 13þ or 14þ century. I'm bringing it back.
<(=_=)> (>=_=)> <(=_=<) ^(=_=^) (^=_=)^ ^(=_=)^ +(=_=)+
Reply
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

They don't say Core, but they do say Video, Audio, and Graphics. You can also take that image for granted as it shows exactly what it does share with Mac OS X. In other words, everything that is actually relevant to the iPhone is taken from Darwin, so yes it can be considered OS X.

Sebastian

Exactly! This is where the uncertainty came in (partly anyway); they did not say Core Image was being used so it could not be concluded that OpenGL WAS being used. The display renderings may have been done solely with Quartz or whatever.

Anyway, I don't REALLY want to argue. I was just using that as an expression to layout what it was that I wanted to say on the issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › anything new with iPhone since macworld???