or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Global Warming Hysteria Building

Global Warming Hysteria Building - Page 6

post #201 of 440
Gore's office responded.

Quote:
1) Gore’s family has taken numerous steps to reduce the carbon footprint of their private residence, including signing up for 100 percent green power through Green Power Switch, installing solar panels, and using compact fluorescent bulbs and other energy saving technology.

2) Gore has had a consistent position of purchasing carbon offsets to offset the family’s carbon footprint — a concept the right-wing fails to understand. Gore’s office explains:

What Mr. Gore has asked is that every family calculate their carbon footprint and try to reduce it as much as possible. Once they have done so, he then advocates that they purchase offsets, as the Gore’s do, to bring their footprint down to zero.

This issue is primarily carbon footprint.

Does anyone think Gore will accept a Cabinet-level position in a Democratic administration?
post #202 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Gore's office responded.

Does anyone think Gore will accept a Cabinet-level position in a Democratic administration?

I know ...
It is that last sentence was funny.

Any of the three will do as POTUS/VP:

Ralph Nader
Dennis Kucinich
Al Gore

In this order.
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
Latitude D600, PowerEdge 1600SC, OptiPlex GX520
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
post #203 of 440
Quote:

Gore's office responded.

WTF?

I just calculated my carbon footprint, ~10,000 kg/yr (high estimate). Carbon offset cost ~$200 (US). What's up with that? That's way less than my basic fuel costs! Someone please explain carbon offsets, sounds like a shell game to me!

I mean really, the first thing one should do is conserve, seeing as not everyone can buy offsets (i. e. If we all bought offsets does that mean that all anthropogenic CO2 emissions are suddenly (magically) eliminated? I don't think so!).

PS - AG (and family) uses more kWh in a DAY than I do in a MONTH! Is he still running a farm or something? Because that amount of kWh does seem excessive for just family usage.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #204 of 440
Quote:

Gore's office responded.

Oh come on. That's bullshit and I think you know it. Gore is flying around the world (often in a private plane) telling people to reduce their consumption of energy, to drive smaller cars, to make efficiencies whereever possible.

Now, he also spends $20-30K a year in electricity. He has several homes as well. He can purchase all the offsets and use solar panels all he wants. Does anyone really believe that those offsets actually combat global warming? Of coure not. It's a feel-good measure, and nothing more.

Gore's a hypocrite.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #205 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Oh come on. That's bullshit and I think you know it. Gore is flying around the world (often in a private plane) telling people to reduce their consumption of energy, to drive smaller cars, to make efficiencies whereever possible.

Now, he also spends $20-30K a year in electricity. He has several homes as well. He can purchase all the offsets and use solar panels all he wants. Does anyone really believe that those offsets actually combat global warming? Of coure not. It's a feel-good measure, and nothing more.

Gore's a hypocrite.

An award winning and Nobel peace prize nominated hypocrite.

Have you ever planted a tree or put any money into reducing your own C footprint?
post #206 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamac View Post

An award winning and Nobel peace prize nominated hypocrite.

Have you ever planted a tree or put any money into reducing your own C footprint?

Rush Limbaugh was nominated too. I don't hear you trumpeting that. And really...he won an oscar. Ooohh! Ahhhh!

And no, I haven't tried to reduce my "carbon footprint" because other than small energy savings, no one can. It's nothing but politically correct crap that celebreties like to brag about at parties.
post #207 of 440
Quote:

Rush Limbaugh was nominated too. I don't hear you trumpeting that. And really...he won an oscar. Ooohh! Ahhhh!

And no, I haven't tried to reduce my "carbon footprint" because other than small energy savings, no one can. It's nothing but politically correct crap that celebreties like to brag about at parties.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/st...024779,00.html

The UN thinks Rush's house is going to be flooded fairly soon. I know SDW2001bc you are far more informed than the UN and have access to far better data through the Republican truth machine, so a reply from you is not necessary here. Everyone knows you are more intelligent than the rest of the world, this means to us normal folk we can not understand your superior rantings and many of us no longer read any of your posts since they are so intellectually advanced that is makes no sense even to try and understand.
post #208 of 440
Quote:

FYI, Gore did not win an Oscar, his producer did.

I am making (since energy cost increase) $ 142,000 from my 32 wind mills. my carbon footprint is about -40tons.

Since you know so many celebrities and go to their parties, who have you actually talked to in person? And who has talked to you at these parties about carbon foot print?
post #209 of 440
Quote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/st...024779,00.html

The UN thinks Rush's house is going to be flooded fairly soon. I know SDW2001bc you are far more informed than the UN and have access to far better data through the Republican truth machine, so a reply from you is not necessary here. Everyone knows you are more intelligent than the rest of the world, this means to us normal folk we can not understand your superior rantings and many of us no longer read any of your posts since they are so intellectually advanced that is makes no sense even to try and understand.

It has nothing to do with the Republican party. I simply do not believe that global warming is man made. In fact, the same UN report you reference states clearly that we contribute a full...and whopping THREE percent of the world's CO2. Cows farting make more.
post #210 of 440
Quote:

FYI, Gore did not win an Oscar, his producer did.

I am making (since energy cost increase) $ 142,000 from my 32 wind mills. my carbon footprint is about -40tons.

Since you know so many celebrities and go to their parties, who have you actually talked to in person? And who has talked to you at these parties about carbon foot print?

Oh stop..you're just being a troll. You use energy, I use energy. Once it's used it's used. We're all just contributing to the eventual heat death of the universe anyway. You can't buy that back, jamac!
post #211 of 440
How much of global warming is caused by the slowing rotation of the earth and the changing of ocean currents, both do to the moons slow escape from earth's gravity?

I'm not being a troll. I am asking a genuine question. Do we have enough info on ALL the things that can significantly contribute to climate change to say that our cutting our carbon footprint is really going to matter?

I'm pro conservation. We as a species are extremely wasteful. But this is such a gigantic issue with almost countless variables that I think we're spending way too much time worrying about what WE'RE doing "wrong" instead of trying to figure out if there's even a real problem, universally speaking.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If that were the case, then Microsoft would...
post #212 of 440
Quote:

Cows farting make more.

Sorry, it's cows burping, not farting...
post #213 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageous View Post

How much of global warming is caused by the slowing rotation of the earth and the changing of ocean currents, both do to the moons slow escape from earth's gravity?

I'm not being a troll. I am asking a genuine question. Do we have enough info on ALL the things that can significantly contribute to climate change to say that our cutting our carbon footprint is really going to matter?

I'm pro conservation. We as a species are extremely wasteful. But this is such a gigantic issue with almost countless variables that I think we're spending way too much time worrying about what WE'RE doing "wrong" instead of trying to figure out if there's even a real problem, universally speaking.

I completely agree. Let's develop alternative fuels, first get off of foreign oil and then greatly reduce our dependence on oil itself, for example. But "Global Warming Hysteria" is a perfect term.

Does anyone really believe we only have "10 years" to combat this problem?
post #214 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageous View Post

The effects you're talking about happen only over a very long period of time ( think epoch ). Much longer than the effect an industrialized society will have on the planet.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #215 of 440
"...

Honda's site lists numerous things F1 fans can do to save the planet – turn off the tap when cleaning your teeth, switch to energy-saving lightbulbs and so on. But nowhere does it mention the environmental benefits that could be generated by pulling out of the most environmentally-unfriendly and boring 'sport' on the planet.

..."

Save the planet: drive a 3mpg car.
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
post #216 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

The effects you're talking about happen only over a very long period of time ( think epoch ). Much longer than the effect an industrialized society will have on the planet.

So...you're basically agreeing.
post #217 of 440
Quote:

I completely agree. Let's develop alternative fuels, first get off of foreign oil and then greatly reduce our dependence on oil itself, for example. But "Global Warming Hysteria" is a perfect term.

Does anyone really believe we only have "10 years" to combat this problem?

No, because it's already too late!

Earth to homo sapiens; YOU GOT SERVED!
post #218 of 440
Meanwhile, our government simply masturbates on our future:

" ...

The document, the United States Climate Action Report, emphasizes that the projections show progress toward a goal Mr. Bush laid out in a 2002 speech : that emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases grow at a slower rate than the economy. Since that speech, he has repeated his commitment to lessening “greenhouse gas intensity” without imposing formal limits on the gases.

... "

FU if you voted for these mofos.
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
MA700LL/A arrived.
---
post #219 of 440
Quote:

Gore's office responded.

No, the issue is that Gore is buying these "offsets" from himself and stands to make a lot of money off Global Warming Hysteria.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #220 of 440
Quote:

Do we know that for sure? Has it been studied enough to know if there can be short term spikes in changes?

post #221 of 440
The thing that amazes me the most is that people are willing to gamble that there is nothing wrong with the planet because of a lack of tracking the needed data accurately over extended periods of time. The capabilities of science and the common perception of nature did not permit the collection of important data until relatively recently in terms of the earth's age. That there are not data files form 327 BC should not be a reason to doubt that man has had and is having an impact on the environment.

Of course, there may be nothing amiss. Then again, there might be. Are we so willing to take that chance?

Texas A&M researches have found an increase in storm power due to pollution:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070306/...808pMQG4kPLBIF

Antarctica is melting away:
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TECH/sci...eut/index.html

Do waves have to cover the Rose Garden before more people take the problem seriously?

If we work to lesson the perceived impact and there isn't one, then what do we lose? A little hardship and a little money.

If we don't work to lessen the impact and there is one, then what do we lose? Everything.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #222 of 440
Well I look at it two ways:

1) Is there a problem with the planet?

My answer is generally "no" because the planet has survived multiple collisions with alien bodies (protoplanets, asteroids, etc.) all of which were infinitely more destructive to the planet than my carbon footprint.

2) Is the planet on a course which will lead to it being uninhabitable by man?

I'm a little more on the fence about this one. Clearly something is going on. Clearly the temperature is rising. Clearly there's danger from many many things related to this warming.

What I don't yet believe is that this all spells imminent doom for Terra Firma, as many would like to have us believe. Yes species are dying. Explain to me how this is in any way unique to this period in time?

I am more concerned with making sure we take proper corrective action than doing a bunch of hairbrained scattered things to make ourselves FEEL like we're taking corrective action.

post #223 of 440
Those collisions may have led to major extinctions, at least within a certain radus from the impact site, yet, as you pointed out, were survived. These collisions occured every once in a while - thus allowing for long periods of regrowth - and were quite unavoidable.

What we have now is proof that man's activity is altering weather patterns, at least in the short term. We have proof of the heat print of cities; this itself brings changes in wind and rain patterns. Yes, the planet is a living, breathing entity which adapts as it grows, but what happens when we tip the balance too far?

Your individual carbon footprint might be a minor player in the game, but when it is combined with the footprints of thousands and millions of others it becomes a rather powerful team. A little conservations will not hurt anyone and may save us all.

The current rise and special change may or may not be due to human activity. If it is, do you want to be wrong about it?

There is nothing we can do about an impending impact with an asteroid, but there is something we can do about the environment. There is no question that we are polluting; just look around. Whether this is causing the warming, nobody knows for sure (lots of scientists think so). In a worst case scenario, if we do just a little to reduce the pollution we produce, we will make the world a little cleaner for everyone living in it. How bad could that be?

post #224 of 440
A quick look at wiki regarding acid rain will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_rain#Adverse_effects

Species die out naturally; new ones appear. Human activity may be hastening the process.

post #225 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

No, the issue is that Gore is buying these "offsets" from himself and stands to make a lot of money off Global Warming Hysteria.

This is troubling. On the one hand, I applaud a capitalist's effort to affect climate change; its always cool to see hippies playing the money game. But i don't like how he wasn't totally upfront about it. Then again, it was nice to have him promoting the concept of offsetting, without direct advertising for his own company. When I looked up offsetting before this, i didn't find his company, i found someone else's. Does say something of his motives, and makes him less believable, since he has a financial interest. I'm inclined to believe his money followed his conscious on this one, but idk.

irrelevant: but i think he's also on the board of a certain fruit company.
post #226 of 440
Gore crusade

Some choice bits...

Quote:
I know that the word on many readers' lips is: hypocrisy.

Indeed, pollution is bad, unless you are rich enough to pay for the right to do it and do it excessively.

Quote:
The message comes across loud and clear: The Gores are rich, and rich people are going to burn a lot of energy. They won't let their belief in global warming crimp their lifestyle.

Finally...

Quote:
But the real issue is that the most effective spokesman for global warming apparently doesn't think he has to show personal leadership on his signature issue by curbing his energy consumption. The same goes for Feinstein and Schwarzenegger, who are happy to push for laws that make other people cut their emissions, but are far too affluent to cut back themselves.

That says it all to me.

Quote:
In fact, watching Gore's conspicuous consumption, you have to wonder whether he really believes in global warming at all.

I think he believes that the he is above his own beliefs. Messianic figures often do this.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #227 of 440
Where can I buy some of the carbon indulgences from the eco-church? I want some to help my conscience for my propane grill, clear-cutting, and big, mean SUV...
"Stand Up for Chuck"
"Stand Up for Chuck"
post #228 of 440
Something to look forward to for those of us that will still be here ( I figure at 53 I've got maybe 20 to 30 years left if I'm lucky and take care of myself ). That means a good many of you.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science....ap/index.html
post #229 of 440
Quote:

Something to look forward to for those of us that will still be here ( I figure at 53 I've got maybe 20 to 30 years left if I'm lucky and take care of myself ). That means a good many of you.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science....ap/index.html

Pre-release hype by the media rarely reflects the actual content of the report - and I doubt this one does either. The last summary before release was overhyped and mischaracterized so I expect this one is as well.

Looks like Malthus and the Club of Rome is alive and well among the young fools...
post #230 of 440
Quote:

Oh stop..you're just being a troll. You use energy, I use energy. Once it's used it's used. We're all just contributing to the eventual heat death of the universe anyway. You can't buy that back, jamac!

what a laugh...."heat death of the universe" lets see the universe is near absolute zero, so we would have to have how much heat to raise "heat death" the universe ha ha ha

our affect on the world total life of man is like a grain of sand on the beach of time....
global warming, secular religion is basically burnt out anti capitalist anti american blabber.

how many gamma ray bursts do you think our global warming equals.......

i love it "heat death of the universe" the visuals are awesome
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #231 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxParrish View Post

Pre-release hype by the media rarely reflects the actual content of the report - and I doubt this one does either. The last summary before release was overhyped and mischaracterized so I expect this one is as well.

Looks like Malthus and the Club of Rome is alive and well among the young fools...

The last one was said to say that man has an impact on the environment, most likely; the report said that has an impact on the environment, most likely. The hype went with the potential truth of the statement: if it is true, then it is rather dire news. Sadly, most people choose not to even give the possibility that the report is true any chance of being right.

Instead, they choose a "painless" course and then bitch about it:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/03/11...eut/index.html

post #232 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxParrish View Post

Yeah right it'll never happen so just ignore it!

After all we can adopt a wait and see attitude can't we?

By the way young fools? How old are you Max?

Oh! I see by your profile that we're really close I'm turning 54 in a couple of months.
post #233 of 440
i found this article about threats to those that oppose the global warming myth

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ngreen211.xml

just a bit from the article

They say the debate on global warming has been "hijacked" by a powerful alliance of politicians, scientists and environmentalists who have stifled all questioning about the true environmental impact of carbon dioxide emissions.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #234 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i found this article about threats to those that oppose the global warming myth

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ngreen211.xml

just a bit from the article

They say the debate on global warming has been "hijacked" by a powerful alliance of politicians, scientists and environmentalists who have stifled all questioning about the true environmental impact of carbon dioxide emissions.

Hijacked to what end?
post #235 of 440
"Follow the money..."

post #236 of 440
There is no global warming because there is no global climate.
post #237 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunocrat View Post

There is no global warming because there is no global climate.

Nice canard, so if there is no ice at the poles (eventually), what would you call the changes to the earth's climate?

Oh, that's right "global climate change" per GWB.
post #238 of 440
There are seven climates in the S F Bay Area alone. What are you talking about? By the way, the earth is entering an ice age. Look it up.
post #239 of 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunocrat View Post

There are seven climates in the S F Bay Area alone. What are you talking about? By the way, the earth is entering an ice age. Look it up.

And there are literally an infinite number of climates around the world at any given moment. So what?

Ice age? Link? ROTFLMAO!
post #240 of 440
Think small, Frank. Stay as you are. Otherwise look it up. Find the link yourself. You might find out who the fools will be a couple years from now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Global Warming Hysteria Building