or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › my macbook has ground to a near standstill...

my macbook has ground to a near standstill...

post #1 of 7
i'm afraid to open dashboard (i already deleted the dashboardclient cache) because the last few times i've done it (after restarts) it's taken more than five minutes (upwards of ten a couple times) jut for it to start running. dashboard shows up, but it takes that long for the widgets to start running.

firefox just took more than 60 bounces to open. i'm frustrated enough that i counted them.

i get spinning beach balls almost constantly, doing the most routine things, most of them system stuff, though.

this was my first mac of my own (and my first with OS X). i used systems 7-9, but they were my parents computers and a while ago. i got this macbook in august and have been "customizing" it since, trying all kinds of programs and whatnot to get it how i like it. well, i've got it configured how i like it, with only the necessary programs and whatnot (which means i've done a lot of installing/deleting) but now it's nearly unusable because of how slow the system is.

my question is: does my diagnosis sound legit? that i've just done a little too much installing/uninstalling/"playing" and somehow i've broken something?

my "fix it" idea is to just make a good long list of what i've got going on now -- since i've got it how i like it -- and reinstall the system from the system disc that came with it, then only install the stuff i know i want.

does this sound like a good idea? is there a "diagnosis" program that i can run on my system to see why i'm getting so many spinners and things are taking so long?

thanks.
post #2 of 7
You can reinstall the system without messing with your settings and see if that changes anything: "archive and install." If that doesn't work, it may be hardware related.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
There's no there there. But, I'm working on it.
post #3 of 7
archive and install is a choice on the system disc?
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmber View Post

archive and install is a choice on the system disc?

Yeah, your MB should have come with a software restore disk which has a copy of Mac OS X on it. When you fire it up, it gives you the option of "Archive and Install". This saves your current system settings and reinstalls OS X. Something like the computer slowing down could be caused by any number of things though. You could have bad RAM, your HDD might be full, some app that you installed left something running in the background that's eating your memory alive. Here's what I suggest BEFORE you start reinstalling the OS...

1) If you have AppleCare, then you can run the TechTool CD to see if you have a hardware issue

2) Try killing the dashboard ... open up the Terminal (it's in the Utilities folder) and type killall Dock. This will close out everything running in the dashboard and free up the RAM the Widgets were using.

3) Download an run OnyX. It's a freeware app. Click on the "Automation" tab and then click "Execute" at the bottom of the screen. It'll take a little bit to run, but it'll clean and optimize the system. It'll want you to restart your computer and then afterwards you can decide whether or not your problem is resolved.

Also, the time it takes for the Dahboard to get all the Widgets working usually depends on how many and what kind they are. If you have a lot of game Widgets running at once, or some that continually access the internet (ESPN is a bad one...), then it's been my experience that these can severely hamper your opening time. Right now I have 17 widgets operational on a 1.9 GHz iMac G5. It takes upwards on a minute for all of them to appear. If you're trying to open FireFox at the same time as the dashboard, then it's not surprising that it's taking forever and a day. Check out the few things listed above ad let us know how it goes... good luck!
MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB HDD
Mac mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 320GB HDD
iPod 5th Generation, 30GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
post #5 of 7
Open up Activity Monitor and see what exactly is eating up your resources too.
post #6 of 7
all right, i downloaded onyx and ran the automations. everything is running a bit quicker. the only problem i have found so far is that my office documents don't have their icons. both .doc and .xls files are just pieces of paper with a folded upper right corner. i opened them in their respective programs and it didn't change. i made sure that excel and word were their default "open with" programs. how do i fix this? and what did i do that changed it?

thanks a lot for the help everyone.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmber View Post

all right, i downloaded onyx and ran the automations. everything is running a bit quicker. the only problem i have found so far is that my office documents don't have their icons. both .doc and .xls files are just pieces of paper with a folded upper right corner. i opened them in their respective programs and it didn't change. i made sure that excel and word were their default "open with" programs. how do i fix this? and what did i do that changed it?

thanks a lot for the help everyone.

This happens to me on occasion ... I'm not sure why it happens, but this is what you can do to fix it...

1) Add .doc to ANY MS Word file that you have

2) Open the file in word and then quit. The icon should now be changed to the MS Word icon.

3) Highlight the icon and then hit Apple+i to get info for the file. Where it says "Open With...", change that to something other than MS Word, then change it back and click the "Change All..."

4) You can then remove the .doc extension from the one file and nothing should change.

Do this again for your .xls and .ppt files to fix them also...

Does that help?
iPhone 4, 32GB
iPhone 4, 32GB
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › my macbook has ground to a near standstill...