or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Barack Obama is in!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Barack Obama is in!

post #1 of 214
Thread Starter 
...and running for the vice presidential nomination.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070210/D8N74MRG1.html


Oh boy... Oh boy...

I know he says he is running for the presidential nomination but I think its rather obvious he is really gunning for the VP nod, since it would mean a blood bath to dethrone Hillary. If he is anywhere on the ticket...we have even money if not greater of keeping the White House.If some more moderate democrat was in the race and had a snowballs chance of getting the nomination...then we would be so screwed.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #2 of 214
His speech was a breath of fresh air in the odious political climate that we have seen for as long as I can remember. Laugh all you want, but Obama is going to get a lot of votes from people who are sick and tired of people like you running our nation.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #3 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

His speech was a breath of fresh air in the odious political climate that we have seen for as long as I can remember. Laugh all you want, but Obama is going to get a lot of votes from people who are sick and tired of people like you running our nation.

He is good with the platitudes…I’ll give him that.


One of the weaknesses we Republicans have had to face in elections past is giving the usual lip service, for the most part, to the religious part of the party – just look at 1992 for a prime example of this. With Barak Hussain Obama on the ticket, they will come out in droves to vote against him, thus lessening the need to pay the religious toll that turns off many moderate voters.

If the democrats pulled another 1976 or 1992, and ran a 'safe' democrat, they could take the whole cake easy. Hence my , becase if the lose, it will be their own doing.
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
Report employers of illegal aliens at (866) DHS-2ICE
Reply
post #4 of 214
What a calculated move Fox News and you are doing by using his middle name. I fear some of the less educated will not vote for him based on his middle name.
post #5 of 214
His name is Barack you goddamn troll.

How many threads about him with his named misspelled are you going to create?
post #6 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

His name is Barack you goddamn troll.

How many threads about him with his named misspelled are you going to create?

Have to agree with you there.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #7 of 214
Who in their right mind is tied to a political party above all else?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #8 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

He is good with the platitudesIll give him that.


One of the weaknesses we Republicans have had to face in elections past is giving the usual lip service, for the most part, to the religious part of the party just look at 1992 for a prime example of this. With Barak Hussain Obama on the ticket, they will come out in droves to vote against him, thus lessening the need to pay the religious toll that turns off many moderate voters.

If the democrats pulled another 1976 or 1992, and ran a 'safe' democrat, they could take the whole cake easy. Hence my , becase if the lose, it will be their own doing.


You have more weakness than that after what W has pulled! Better hope for 2012 and that the person that get's in there screws up bad. Of course though that's going to be difficult to do with the example we've had from Bush.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #9 of 214
I see it this way: In all likelihood either a black man with a Muslim-sounding name, or a woman named Clinton will be president in a couple years. Either way, people like Bacillus won't be spared any agony.
post #10 of 214
The right wing is pushing this now to discredit Obama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-MYq2TZ73Q
post #11 of 214
It is really creepy the unintellectual side of the conservative movement in the US throws around insults...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #12 of 214
Did anyone see tonights Top Gear on BBC?

Discraceful behavior of the native Southern Fundie Bible bashing primitives.

They really still throw 'rocks' and call in the 'boys' when faced with outsiders. America isn't a country of freedom. Its a country of ignorant fascists.

On topic, If a woman and a black man with an Islamic past gets into power, every disgusting racist, bigot is going to come out of every dirty cess-pit in opposition to them.

Then we will really see just how 'forward' and progressive the 'worlds greatest freedom and liberty' has become
post #13 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

On topic, If a woman and a black man with an Islamic past gets into power, every disgusting racist, bigot is going to come out of every dirty cess-pit in opposition to them.

Well, they're negligible as part of the 30-percenters anyway.
post #14 of 214
(ignore this space)
post #15 of 214
Most of them are convicts anyway so there is nothing to worry about.
post #16 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcUK View Post

Did anyone see tonights Top Gear on BBC?

Discraceful behavior of the native Southern Fundie Bible bashing primitives.

They really still throw 'rocks' and call in the 'boys' when faced with outsiders. America isn't a country of freedom. Its a country of ignorant fascists.

On topic, If a woman and a black man with an Islamic past gets into power, every disgusting racist, bigot is going to come out of every dirty cess-pit in opposition to them.

Then we will really see just how 'forward' and progressive the 'worlds greatest freedom and liberty' has become

This is a clever little game you're playing. The implication is that any opposition to those two figures must be based on hatred. Of course, that's a ridiculous notion to say the least.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #17 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

This is a clever little game you're playing. The implication is that any opposition to those two figures must be based on hatred. Of course, that's a ridiculous notion to say the least.

You're misrepresenting what he said.

He's only "implying" that there are bigots out there who may or may not ordinarily vote, but who *will* come out to vote against a woman or a black candidate by virtue of being a woman or black. I think the bigot-vote is negligible because they're already part of the "30 percenter" group.
post #18 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

You're misrepresenting what he said.

He's only "implying" that there are bigots out there who may or may not ordinarily vote, but who *will* come out to vote against a woman or a black candidate by virtue of being a woman or black. I think the bigot-vote is negligible because they're already part of the "30 percenter" group.

OK. Agree with you in principle.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #19 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I see it this way: In all likelihood either a black man with a Muslim-sounding name, or a woman named Clinton will be president in a couple years. Either way, people like Bacillus won't be spared any agony.

I don't think either of them will win. But then, no one knows what will happen in 08 because we're in completely uncharted territory. This is the first time in 50 years that there has not been an heir apparent for the presidency.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #20 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I don't think either of them will win. But then, no one knows what will happen in 08 because we're in completely uncharted territory. This is the first time in 50 years that there has not been an heir apparent for the presidency.

Why is that? So you don't think a Democrat will become president in 2008, or you don't think either of them will win the primary?
post #21 of 214
I don't think either of them will win the primary. I wouldn't be surprised if Gore enters *very* late, nor would I be surprised if he won it all.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #22 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I don't think either of them will win the primary. I wouldn't be surprised if Gore enters *very* late, nor would I be surprised if he won it all.

I predict Gore will enter the race this summer sometime. Others believe he'll announce at the Oscars. Which is silly. But they believe he will enter the race, regardless.

Out of every Democrat friend I have there is one universal truth, it seems, and that is everyone's favorite non-candidate is Al Gore. If he did enter he'd suck all the oxygen out of the room, pull all the cash from the donors fast, and secure the nomination in a heartbeat.

The big question is "will he run a different campaign this time?"

Most of us think he will.

And he doesn't even need SimFast to do it.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #23 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Who in their right mind is tied to a political party above all else?

Damn near everyone in Washington.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #24 of 214
I wonder if Obama is the new Gore, in a sense. Edwards' and Hillary's biggest problem is Iraq, and just general suck-uppiness to Bush in the aftermath of 9/11. Gore doesn't have that problem, but either does Obama.
post #25 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I predict Gore will enter the race this summer sometime. Others believe he'll announce at the Oscars. Which is silly. But they believe he will enter the race, regardless.

Out of every Democrat friend I have there is one universal truth, it seems, and that is everyone's favorite non-candidate is Al Gore. If he did enter he'd suck all the oxygen out of the room, pull all the cash from the donors fast, and secure the nomination in a heartbeat.

The big question is "will he run a different campaign this time?"

Most of us think he will.

And he doesn't even need SimFast to do it.

I have contended for 4 years now that Gore could represent a kind of cultural mulligan in the oval office.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #26 of 214
I thought that Gore recently said he WON'T be running because the work he's doing for the environment is more important that if he were president. Something like that.
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #27 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Damn near everyone in Washington.

That's unfortunate don't you think?
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #28 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I thought that Gore recently said he WON'T be running because the work he's doing for the environment is more important that if he were president. Something like that.

Gore said something like that around 2004. Lately, he's been saying that he hasn't ruled out a run. Basically, he's waiting to see some grassroots "draft Gore" movement. When that happens, he'll resist for a time and then, once we've invaded Iran, Pakistan, and Australia, he'll say that something has to be done and put his hat in the ring.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #29 of 214
A Draft Gore movement may be starting in Massachusetts. At least according to Keith Olbermann during last Friday's show.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #30 of 214
According to msnbc, gore is not telling his unofficial campaign to stop, like he did in 2002. So, he may actually be interested this time.

i'm just glad that for the first time in what seems like forever, it doesn't look like we'll suffer through a republican.
post #31 of 214
Not necessarily...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #32 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak View Post

According to msnbc, gore is not telling his unofficial campaign to stop, like he did in 2002. So, he may actually be interested this time.

i'm just glad that for the first time in what seems like forever, it doesn't look like we'll suffer through a republican.

IANAPS, but right. Gore couldn't run in 2004 because of the legacy of 2000 and he needed to just kind of go off the political grid and do something else. And I would wager that he won't run unless there is some sort of grassroots movement to draft him. I'd expect it to start with the blogs, first, and then more news pieces (like Olbermann's) about "Is Gore Running?". But unless it gets traction, I wouldn't expect him to do anything. He may also pop up on the speaking circuit for a while, first, to get his name back in the papers.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #33 of 214
If "An Inconvenient Truth" wins the Oscar then that's pretty big news for the papers.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
Reply
post #34 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

If "An Inconvenient Truth" wins the Oscar then that's pretty big news for the papers.

Yes. There was a rumor that he would announce there, if it won. But I think that's early. Whoever said Summer is probably dead on. But then, again, this is completely uncharted territory politically.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #35 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Yes. There was a rumor that he would announce there, if it won. But I think that's early.

And announcements from Clinton, Obama, McCain, Edwards, Giuliani, etc. ISN'T early?

I'm going to be tired of this by November of THIS year!
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Reply
post #36 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

And announcements from Clinton, Obama, McCain, Edwards, Giuliani, etc. ISN'T early?

I'm going to be tired of this by November of THIS year!


Too early for HIM to announce. I'm arguing that he's going to wage a reluctant campaign for the presidency. You can't do that if you announce when everyone else does. Summer, or maybe March when we invade Iran.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #37 of 214
I like Gore, a lot. He's not particularly charismatic as a campaigner, but I think he's got good sense and the right values and obviously plenty of experience. I just don't think we really need him in this Democratic field we've got. We have probably the best, highest-profile group of contenders ever.

If Gore's candidacy depends on the appeal for him to get in because no one else can challenge Hillary, I just don't think that's gonna happen because it's not necessary. If it was just Hillary and then a bunch of Vilsacks and Bayhs, then sure, Gore could be the anti-Hillary. But both Obama and, to a lesser extent, Edwards are top-tier anti-Hillarys.
post #38 of 214
Wasted

While the remark is unfortunate, it is proof of exactly why I NEVER watch cable news. The talking heads on there will be prognosticating for the next 72+ hours about whether Obama is ready for the 'big leagues" with such a slip so early.

So please make it a drinking game. Sort of like G.W. Bush and the word gravitas... play it with Obama when blackness is mentioned or any analogy related to not being ready for the "show" "big leagues" etc.

Then post in this thread after you have consumed.

Nick

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #39 of 214
all he had to do was finish the statement, right?

wasted... by the lack of foresight and planning of this administration...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
Reply
post #40 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

all he had to do was finish the statement, right?

wasted... by the lack of foresight and planning of this administration...

I think he clarified the remark and I don't hold it against him. That said, what I do take issue with is the double standard, both in the media and here on these boards.

If this had been a Republican, you'd be jumping on it like a John on a cheap hooker. Same goes with the media. Wait until Guilani, Romney or McCain say something that is along these lines. It will be bigger than "Anna Nicole: Death of an Icon!"
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Barack Obama is in!