or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Lionsgate films now available on Apple's iTunes Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lionsgate films now available on Apple's iTunes Store - Page 2

post #41 of 97
and how many in Australia? 30 million? Now, multiply that effort by 30, and come up with the costs to get the licenses, divided by the number of contents sold per capita. The costs are much higher.[/QUOTE]

There are only just 20 million of us now, past that make sometime last year.
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #42 of 97
I'm also hoping that once they get deals for video content on non-US iTS it'll also mean that non-US content will become more available on the US-iTS. Being able to download TV shows that aired yesterday doesn't add much for me, that's what TiVo is for. But being able to download TV shows (or news broadcasts) that simply aren't even aired here would be nice instead of being stuck with what the major networks decide I should like (basically, give me anything except another stupid reality show!)
post #43 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

In Australia we know get a "version" of Sci-Fi channel (full branding, etc..) but it shows delayed material compared to the US. This is only on CableTV (Foxtel, the only major mainstream pay TV available in Australia).

Other than that, we depend on free-to-air, particularly Channels 7,9, and 10. Channel ABC and SBS, those are pretty much lost causes ... Though SBS is innovative and "arty", for example yonks ago they used to show Aeon Flux, not the CharlizeTheron one, the original animated MTV version.

Channel 7 here has ponied up the big bucks to start of Heroes Season 1, 24 Season 6, PrisonBreak Season2, and starting loff Lost Season3. So just about 6-15 episodes behind the US, which is actually pretty damn good for Australian TV, particularly the "3rd ranking" Channel 7 - Channel 10 and 9 being 1st and 2nd ranked, in terms of viewership/ popularity, etc.

Sunil, you need to check the latest ratings, 7 is easily at least second and pushing 9 hard
to be number 1.
Personally I think they all suck big time

And what makes you say the ABC are alost cause, no one else comes close with current affairs and quality journolism. The commercial channels are just turning themselves into gossip mag copy cats and trying to push every piece of crap television thet comes out of the US.

Please.
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #44 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Sunil, you need to check the latest ratings, 7 is easily at least second and pushing 9 hard
to be number 1.
Personally I think they all suck big time

And what makes you say the ABC are alost cause, no one else comes close with current affairs and quality journolism. The commercial channels are just turning themselves into gossip mag copy cats and trying to push every piece of crap television thet comes out of the US.

Please.

Fair enough. Boy you aussies are a tough crowd...!!
post #45 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Sunil, you need to check the latest ratings, 7 is easily at least second and pushing 9 hard to be number 1.

The data I could find is http://www.thinktv.com.au/SiteMedia/...d1febcc76f.pdf which does show the following:



For some reason maybe I am a few years out of touch, I thought it went Channel10, Channel9 and Channel7 in terms of ranking high-to-low. It does make sense now that "Seven in '07" is carrying latest seasons of PrisonBreak, 24, Lost and Heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Personally I think they all suck big time.

Despite giving you some of the latest shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

And what makes you say the ABC are alost cause, no one else comes close with current affairs and quality journolism. The commercial channels are just turning themselves into gossip mag copy cats and trying to push every piece of crap television thet comes out of the US.

I was being somewhat flippant, and attempted some humour. I think you took me too seriously. Of course the ABC produces quality stuff, but at the expense of being accused of being very Labour-centric. Of course it is a relief that ABC does not slide into the approach of things like TodayTonight. I meant "Lost Cause" as in, well, look at the viewership percentage. Clearly the ABC audience is not mainstream Australia, and shows a lot of UK stuff which while refreshing is not mainstream. Again, an attempt at some irreverence which you took too seriously, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Please.

No need for the attitude, I try and contribute and give feedback on the Australian news topics here because of my previous experience living in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, and having spent the past 5 months in Melbourne. I thought it would be good to talk about Australian-related stuff besides the usual USA/some-Euro focus of AppleInsider.
post #46 of 97
I have to say with the recent spate of Australian news, I have found some local posters to be generally jovial, but some posts have been a bit elitist.
Maybe it's just the way with some of the posters, just say what you think, no sugar-coating.

..........
post #47 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It would be upto SiFi to drop the show. If ratings aren't high enough, they will want to replace it.

There was certainly an issue of scifi wanting to pay less than MGM wanted to charge - and neither backing down. (The ratings have been pretty good.) And that's the way capitalism works

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It is more complicated because there are so many of them. It takes just as much effort to arrange to have shows in australia as it does in the US. But there are 300 million people in the US, and how many in Australia? 30 million? Now, multiply that effort by 30, and come up with the costs to get the licenses, divided by the number of contents sold per capita. The costs are much higher.

Agreed - there are so many countries with their own sets of distributors, and the number of companies makes it very difficult. I was responding to bigdaddyp, who said other countries had more complicated setups internally. Anyway - we have 20million (not sure why I need to multiply that by 30!?) and it sure is a less appealing place to invest Apple's time.

And as I said - Apple haven't even setup iPhoto album printing here (though a couple of enterprising printers have some options) and that is a far easier task.
post #48 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

It's the only way to fly.......... 8) 8) 8)

I will have to give bit torrents another try. Back when I was a windoz user I tried a bit torrent client and was exposed to so many attacks I gave up on it. Any recommendations on what to use for a mac? Sorry I know its off topic but a I am still a apple newbie.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #49 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Channel 7 here has ponied up the big bucks to start of Heroes Season 1, 24 Season 6, PrisonBreak Season2, and starting loff Lost Season3. So just about 6-15 episodes behind the US, which is actually pretty damn good for Australian TV, particularly the "3rd ranking" Channel 7 - Channel 10 and 9 being 1st and 2nd ranked, in terms of viewership/ popularity, etc.

It is good for Australia to be showing stuff so close to the US. It reduces significantly the usefulness of pirating too.

Channel 7, however, is pretty close to top ranking (they were beaten by 9, by a whisker). Channel 9's cost cutting moves will drop their ratings slightly so expect 7 to be top ranking. Of course, popularity and viewership are different to profitability (for instance 10 goes for the cheap popular stuff like Big Brother and makes good money on it).
post #50 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I will have to give bit torrents another try. Back when I was a windoz user I tried a bit torrent client and was exposed to so many attacks I gave up on it. Any recommendations on what to use for a mac? Sorry I know its off topic but a I am still a apple newbie.

Azureus on Tiger 10.4.8 for me is doing well.
post #51 of 97
Sorry Sunil

I do tend to take most things very seriously, I absolutely meant no offence to you and have much enjoyed reading your rants over the years, in particular you humour. But commercial tv in this country just gives me the sh@ts no end.

People seem to watch whatever is thrown at them with little regard to quality.
The latest and greatest out of the US doesn't seem to equate with qulaity in the least.
Our commercial stations here are so hooked into what ever is cheap to produce or what ever the contracts they sign make them show, bahh humbug, maybe it is just me, television for me is about information not mind numbing nothingness, but hey, each to their own, and again sorry for any insult you may have taken, it was not intended.

end rant
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #52 of 97
If you are interested at all here is a link to a blog at the Sydney Morning Herald regarding quality of current commercial television.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/newsblog/arc...ay/009673.html

My personal favourite quote from there is below:

My preferences, in the order in which I'd prefer to watch them:
- ABC
- SBS (only lower than ABC since they began putting ads in the middle of shows)
- TVS
- The "snow" caused by switching to an untuned channel
- Paint drying
- Grass growing
- My viscera being torn out with a blunt fork
- 7, 9 and 10
- Foxtel (same shit, except now you have to pay for it)
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #53 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Sorry Sunil

I do tend to take most things very seriously, I absolutely meant no offence to you and have much enjoyed reading your rants over the years, in particular you humour. But commercial tv in this country just gives me the sh@ts no end.

People seem to watch whatever is thrown at them with little regard to quality.
The latest and greatest out of the US doesn't seem to equate with qulaity in the least.
Our commercial stations here are so hooked into what ever is cheap to produce or what ever the contracts they sign make them show, bahh humbug, maybe it is just me, television for me is about information not mind numbing nothingness, but hey, each to their own, and again sorry for any insult you may have taken, it was not intended.

end rant

Cool thanks. I'm probably too sensitive sometimes \ ...and somewhat hooked on the AppleInsider community and what I'm able to get away with.
Clearly you have strong views on commercial TV in Oz. We got Foxtel for a few months, and as you probably know, if you think 7, 9 and 10 are bad, oh boy, cable TV..........
post #54 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

If you are interested at all here is a link to a blog at the Sydney Morning Herald regarding quality of current commercial television.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/newsblog/arc...ay/009673.html

My personal favourite quote from there is below:

My preferences, in the order in which I'd prefer to watch them:
- ABC
- SBS (only lower than ABC since they began putting ads in the middle of shows)
- TVS
- The "snow" caused by switching to an untuned channel
- Paint drying
- Grass growing
- My viscera being torn out with a blunt fork
- 7, 9 and 10
- Foxtel (same shit, except now you have to pay for it)

..............
Heh.
...............
post #55 of 97
Boy am I out of the loop. They're showing ads in the middle of SBS shows now???
post #56 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

w000t!! Arnie stuff!!! 8) ... and "Rambo"... heh. Didn't know LionsGate was carrying those, for an "Indie" film distributor.

But it has to do with Carolco as the original producer and going bankrupt.

Carolco holds the rights to the original "StarGate" - that was cool, the original movie series before the endless endless endless TV series of SG1 and SG1:Atlantis........ And when the Gau'ld voice had still some intrigue/fear cachet.

Look forward to Terminator2, TotalRecall, Stargate. Some classic SciFi.

With regards to Melgross and Ireland, without saying or supporting one way or another, check out this Wikipedia entry and the fracking MESS international film (not to mention TV) media distribution is in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolco_Pictures

"The assets of Carolco were later sold off to other companies, most already sold during Carolco's existence. Today, the ancillary rights to a majority of Carolco's library are held by French production company StudioCanal, while CBS Paramount Television holds the television rights, and Lions Gate continues to hold the US/Canadian home video rights (via a new output deal with StudioCanal), while the international home video rights are held by a different company for each country—for example, the UK rights are with Momentum Pictures (a subsidiary of Alliance Atlantis), and the Australian rights rest with Universal Studios. The only Carolco films not included in the deal are Cliffhanger, Aces: Iron Eagle III, Last of the Dogmen, and Showgirls; the rights to these have been retained by their original theatrical distributors (TriStar Pictures, New Line Cinema, Savoy Pictures/HBO, and United Artists, respectively)."

Mmm... So for Terminator 2, let's see, there's like at least 5 companies to deal with. For about 3-5 countries. Fun.

Mmm... I bet the people working at Apple iTunes Store, I think that's where the friggin new Apple buildings are going to hold -- all the people trying to sort out these deals with all this variety of companies.

Licensing is so complex. When I was doing commercials in the good old days of money flowing like water 70's, we would try to get music for a shoot. If the music had been around for a bit, we couldn't always track down all of the copyright holders, and so couldn't use it.

The same thing happens to tv shows. If anyone here has gotten any old tv shows, they may notice that the music isn't always the original from the series. That's for the same reason. So they record new music for the DVD's. It may sound like it, but you wonder why it doesn't seem right. Then you think that it's your memory. It's not (that's an assumption. It could be that too!\ ).

With copyright being extended around the world, I predict that some day it will become so complex that NO older music will ever be re-released.
post #57 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I want to watch Top Gear in the Us but unfortunately The Discovery channel decided to stop showing the U.k. version and make their own. I know Clarkson hates Americans but I still miss the big dope.

I like Top Gear, but Clarkson can be a bit of a pig.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #58 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Lord forgive their melodramatic ways. Apple opened their first store in the US in 2001, and still to this day England is the only country in Europe with Apple stores. Give me a break.

My impressions based on what I've heard from other people is that Mel is right on this. Expanding to other countries is anything but a trivial task. Getting a business to work in one country doesn't mean transferring that business' system to another will work without a lot of changes.
post #59 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Look forward to Terminator2, TotalRecall, Stargate. Some classic SciFi.

Wow, that's disturbing to see those movies called "classics." Not that I don't actually enjoy all 3 of them, but I'd only consider T2 as a classic...and the other's as just shut-off-the-brain-and-enjoy flicks (despite Total Recall being based off a Philip K. Dick story, it becomes hokey rather fast).

Unfortunately, I much prefer the extended version of T2 that isn't available on iTunes. And I much prefer my movies in 5.1 digital surround, which also isn't available on iTunes either.

I'm really at a loss to see any value in buying movies from iTunes. Lower quality video, lower quality audio, no bonus features, no subtitles, no alternate audio languages. No ability to burn it to a become a regular DVD video. Especially using these 3 movies as an example; they are all readily available at local retailers like Walmart or Target for less than the $9.99 they'll cost on iTunes. Inferior product for a higher price, what a wonderful concept!
post #60 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I like Top Gear, but Clarkson can be a bit of a pig.

I think that is part of the reason that I like the show. Since it is funded by the government Top Gear is much more brutal and honest then any add supported show can be in the U.S. I have only been to the U.K. once so I do not consider my self an expert but the U.K. seems like much more of a Pc type society then the U.S and I am amazed that Clarkson is allowed on the air.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #61 of 97
Quote:
I'm really at a loss to see any value in buying movies from iTunes. Lower quality video, lower quality audio, no bonus features, no subtitles, no alternate audio languages. No ability to burn it to a become a regular DVD video. Especially using these 3 movies as an example; they are all readily available at local retailers like Walmart or Target for less than the $9.99 they'll cost on iTunes. Inferior product for a higher price, what a wonderful concept!

If price is the only issue, tell me why people shop as Best Buy? Right, convenience (and a bit of sadomasochism). Why pay $3.99 for oil at a quickie mart? Convenience (and lack of a clue). Sure, those movies are at WalMart, but "they're at WalMart!" Our culture is so 'I need it now' these days, and Apple is cashing in. I'm glad to see them finally riding the wave, instead of sinking.

I'd never buy a movie from iTS, but, I won't get in anyone else's way--nor would I ridicule them when they support one of my favorite brands.
post #62 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Wow, that's disturbing to see those movies called "classics." Not that I don't actually enjoy all 3 of them, but I'd only consider T2 as a classic...and the other's as just shut-off-the-brain-and-enjoy flicks (despite Total Recall being based off a Philip K. Dick story, it becomes hokey rather fast).

Unfortunately, I much prefer the extended version of T2 that isn't available on iTunes. And I much prefer my movies in 5.1 digital surround, which also isn't available on iTunes either.

I'm really at a loss to see any value in buying movies from iTunes. Lower quality video, lower quality audio, no bonus features, no subtitles, no alternate audio languages. No ability to burn it to a become a regular DVD video. Especially using these 3 movies as an example; they are all readily available at local retailers like Walmart or Target for less than the $9.99 they'll cost on iTunes. Inferior product for a higher price, what a wonderful concept!

When you're a youngster like Sunil, or have forgotten much of your life do to drug use (like Sunil ), anything more than a year old seems like a classic.
post #63 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I think that is part of the reason that I like the show. Since it is funded by the government Top Gear is much more brutal and honest then any add supported show can be in the U.S.

It's not funded by the government.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #64 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius

...((Terminator2, TotalRecall, Stargate. Some classic SciFi.))...Wow, that's disturbing to see those movies called "classics." Not that I don't actually enjoy all 3 of them, but I'd only consider T2 as a classic...and the other's as just shut-off-the-brain-and-enjoy flicks (despite Total Recall being based off a Philip K. Dick story, it becomes hokey rather fast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

When you're a youngster like Sunil, or have forgotten much of your life do to drug use (like Sunil ), anything more than a year old seems like a classic.

Heh. I'm speechless. Too much life experience to remember it all, Mel...

When do we get Alien and Alien2? Tell me those ain't classic SciFi.
Of course, not *quite* Alien3, the pretty yucky Alien4 and the writeoff that his Alien vs Predator.

Throw me a frickin' bone here, people.....!!1!1!!!
post #65 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

There was certainly an issue of scifi wanting to pay less than MGM wanted to charge - and neither backing down. (The ratings have been pretty good.) And that's the way capitalism works


Agreed - there are so many countries with their own sets of distributors, and the number of companies makes it very difficult. I was responding to bigdaddyp, who said other countries had more complicated setups internally. Anyway - we have 20million (not sure why I need to multiply that by 30!?) and it sure is a less appealing place to invest Apple's time.

And as I said - Apple haven't even setup iPhoto album printing here (though a couple of enterprising printers have some options) and that is a far easier task.

30 was just an approximate number to represent all of the people outside of the US where there are iTunes stores, and about the number of different itunes stores.
post #66 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Sorry Sunil

I do tend to take most things very seriously, I absolutely meant no offence to you and have much enjoyed reading your rants over the years, in particular you humour. But commercial tv in this country just gives me the sh@ts no end.

People seem to watch whatever is thrown at them with little regard to quality.
The latest and greatest out of the US doesn't seem to equate with qulaity in the least.
Our commercial stations here are so hooked into what ever is cheap to produce or what ever the contracts they sign make them show, bahh humbug, maybe it is just me, television for me is about information not mind numbing nothingness, but hey, each to their own, and again sorry for any insult you may have taken, it was not intended.

end rant

It's very expensive to produce shows with good production values, to name just one aspect of a show. When the local market is small, the money isn't there. As to the quality of the shows from an entertainment perspective other that the production values, it's hard to say. US shows seem to be very popular around the world. There must be a reason.
post #67 of 97
Oops

never mind, found it

I quite like Resurrection

Scott
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #68 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's very expensive to produce shows with good production values, to name just one aspect of a show. When the local market is small, the money isn't there. As to the quality of the shows from an entertainment perspective other that the production values, it's hard to say.


US shows seem to be very popular around the world. There must be a reason.

In this country there is legislation that dictates how much locally produced content has to be aired each week, (can't quite remeber the numbers at a the moment). So the local FTA networks, there are only 3, spend as little as possible on local content, in almost all cases it is reality tv or game shows.
The networks then spend the rest of the programming budgets on supposed news and current affairs (mostly just irritainment as someone earlier nicely quoted).
Most the rest of the programing money goes on American content.
If an FTA chaneel wants to buy say Lost, they negotiate deals that give them the rights to that one particualr show but also ties them into buying dozens of other BAD shows that that must also air or they do not get the rights the next time they are negotiated.

I am sure there is a reason, and certainly they are the best of the bunch that our networks purchase, but these shows make no differences to people lives, they do not educate or inform, they simply numb away the time for a mostly listless population who could not be bothered to look for anything else.

Generalisation, sure, but also fairly accurate in much of the world I believe.

Lowest commen demonitaor stuff, glossed up with fancy editing and camera shots with the aim of nothing in particular.

My my I do go on don't I.
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #69 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

In this country there is legislation that dictates how much locally produced content has to be aired each week, (can't quite remeber the numbers at a the moment). So the local FTA networks, there are only 3, spend as little as possible on local content, in almost all cases it is reality tv or game shows.
The networks then spend the rest of the programming budgets on supposed news and current affairs (mostly just irritainment as someone earlier nicely quoted).
Most the rest of the programing money goes on American content.
If an FTA chaneel wants to buy say Lost, they negotiate deals that give them the rights to that one particualr show but also ties them into buying dozens of other BAD shows that that must also air or they do not get the rights the next time they are negotiated.

I am sure there is a reason, and certainly they are the best of the bunch that our networks purchase, but these shows make no differences to people lives, they do not educate or inform, they simply numb away the time for a mostly listless population who could not be bothered to look for anything else.

Generalisation, sure, but also fairly accurate in much of the world I believe.

Lowest commen demonitaor stuff, glossed up with fancy editing and camera shots with the aim of nothing in particular.

My my I do go on don't I.

Some people have the wrong idea about entertainment.

They believe that it should inform, and teach.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Entertainment, by the very word that is used to label it, is just that, something to occupy your time with interesting and enjoyable folly. It certainly doesn't have to be useful in any other way. It's a filler.

The fact that so many countries feel as though they must legislate a certain amount of locally produced programming shows that the local programming isn't entertaining the local population. The reason why is only important to those who produce such things (and the frustrated governments, the "protectors" of the local culture).

Mindless shows do serve a purpose. They take people's minds off their daily drudgery, or boredom, on the job, and in their social life.

The fact that locally produced shows are what they are is because those producers have given up trying to compete with what is imported. Again, it's all a matter of money. This goes back decades. The situation that exists now is just the long term result of failed local competition from long ago. They gave up, and don't seriously try any longer.

The question, as we see it in France, the supposed bastion of European culture (and as far as they are concerned, of the entire world), that local people aren't impressed enough with their own culture to make works based upon it profitable, or even watchable. Ergo, few in France want to watch French programming, so Canal is paid for by the government, for the most part, and the French won't allow anyone to buy it who isn't French. If Canal disappeared, as it would without that government requirement, there would be almost no French programming, and the French people would be happier for it.
post #70 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Some people have the wrong idea about entertainment.

They believe that it should inform, and teach.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Entertainment, by the very word that is used to label it, is just that, something to occupy your time with interesting and enjoyable folly. It certainly doesn't have to be useful in any other way. It's a filler.

The fact that so many countries feel as though they must legislate a certain amount of locally produced programming shows that the local programming isn't entertaining the local population. The reason why is only important to those who produce such things (and the frustrated governments, the "protectors" of the local culture).

Mindless shows do serve a purpose. They take people's minds off their daily drudgery, or boredom, on the job, and in their social life.

The fact that locally produced shows are what they are is because those producers have given up trying to compete with what is imported. Again, it's all a matter of money. This goes back decades. The situation that exists now is just the long term result of failed local competition from long ago. They gave up, and don't seriously try any longer.

The question, as we see it in France, the supposed bastion of European culture (and as far as they are concerned, of the entire world), that local people aren't impressed enough with their own culture to make works based upon it profitable, or even watchable. Ergo, few in France want to watch French programming, so Canal is paid for by the government, for the most part, and the French won't allow anyone to buy it who isn't French. If Canal disappeared, as it would without that government requirement, there would be almost no French programming, and the French people would be happier for it.

Well put mel and I do understand that which you say, althught you put far better than I, I just find it a shame that most, so called "Entertainement" , in this country anyway is so unworthy of the title.
I would also state that entertainement is far, or at least can be, far more than that, it can be entertaining to be informed and learning can be entertaining.
Wishful thinking I know, but I do not see why said entertainment has to be of the lowest form available, ie - big brother, biggest loser and all the other, lets say below par, programs that hit our screens.

I believe people watch itsimply because it is all that is offered buy money hungry newtorks more interested in advertising that in their audiences. And yes I understand they need to make money also.
Most of the recent shows made locally in Australia are made by independent groups/companies and shown on Pay TV because the FTA networks are simply scared of change.

On a side note, do you currently reside in France or the US, if you are in France, don't drink the beer!
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #71 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

...Mindless shows do serve a purpose. They take people's minds off their daily drudgery, or boredom, on the job, and in their social life...

Heh. Sad truth, but need it be so sad? People work hard and have problems and shite, and sitting down to a bit of BattlestarGalactica, or Lost, so be it. But I understand the frustration, especially recently with expanded cableTV (Foxtel) in Australia, sampling things like TryaBanks Show, Maury, the infamous JerrySpringer(still going on and on and on), ProjectRunway( I'm the greatest designer, OMFG, bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch), and I swear if I saw Dr. Phil on the street....... I don't know if I could contain my irritation. 8) BUT, different strokes for different folks, and DifferentStrokes wasn't too bad a TV show if I remember. Oh, Bikerdude, and I saw Humphrey the Bear LIVE in person at a Melbourne Manningham Council "Carols by Candlelight in the Park"... Usually the Children's TV shows are quite fun because they have a cute 18+ legal girl to host different segments and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

The fact that locally produced shows are what they are is because those producers have given up trying to compete with what is imported. Again, it's all a matter of money. This goes back decades. The situation that exists now is just the long term result of failed local competition from long ago. They gave up, and don't seriously try any longer.

In so far as where there are similar languages and culture spoken, "local content" is yeah, tough. Australia is triple-f*kced because there's US, UK, and globalEnglish shows. Leaving a small niche to meet the "local content" quota... With, Home&Away, Neighbours, TodayTonight, BigBrotherAustralia -- mmm.. Kryptonite to Bikerdude. Which, BTW, WTF is up with Smallville? It just drags on and on and somehow all the characters seem to magically forget all the crazy sh1t that went on the previous episode and go on like it didn't happen, and each episode is yet another new crazy wacky zany adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross

The question, as we see it in France, the supposed bastion of European culture (and as far as they are concerned, of the entire world), that local people aren't impressed enough with their own culture to make works based upon it profitable, or even watchable. Ergo, few in France want to watch French programming, so Canal is paid for by the government, for the most part, and the French won't allow anyone to buy it who isn't French. If Canal disappeared, as it would without that government requirement, there would be almost no French programming, and the French people would be happier for it.

Without Jean Reno or less so nowadays (Jean Reno is cooler), Gerard Depardeeeuuu, French TV and film media would be fuXX0red.,,, I think...... But that'as all I know about Canal+ and French media. Jean Reno. He is da man...!!11.

More food to feast your hungry forum-rant desires on. Munch away!!!
post #72 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

On a side note, do you currently reside in France or the US, if you are in France, don't drink the beer!

He's in NYC. We just need to warn him not to drink Fosters...! (???)
post #73 of 97
Heard something today where 9's Eddie Mcwanker is considering dumping Humphry,

Aggred about some of the young lasses, although my kids do like Humphry and Playschool.

Smallville, MY WIFE LOVES IT, I find it funny as f^^% for the reasons you mention, also like the way they give Lex such continuing, beautiful beatings without any consequences, other than he is evil of course.

And please forgive my rants on local tv, guess I have been going on and on and on now.

No more rants from me on this subject, unless, unless, unless .....awwww ... everytime I try to get out, they just pull me back in....
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #74 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

...Eddie Mcwanker....

Heh. Australia in-joke, in case other forum viewers are wondering.
*sniff* I'm going to miss Australia.
But, I guess I need to find a new City to live in to add to my list.
post #75 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

...Lex....other than he is evil of course....

A conflicted, Shakespearean character, almost. Ooops, now I've really done it, comparing Smallville to Shakespeare...
post #76 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Heh. Australia in-joke, in case other forum viewers are wondering.
*sniff* I'm going to miss Australia.
But, I guess I need to find a new City to live in to add to my list.

Come and try Sydney mate, beautiful women, beautiful beaches, wonderful trafic jams, public transport that gets you where you need to be ( a day late), just make sure you have lots and lots of money, unless you like the simple life, as I do, and do not require food, clothes , any kind of life that costs anything.
Shiny Side Up
Reply
Shiny Side Up
Reply
post #77 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Come and try Sydney mate, beautiful women, beautiful beaches, wonderful trafic jams, public transport that gets you where you need to be ( a day late), just make sure you have lots and lots of money, unless you like the simple life, as I do, and do not require food, clothes , any kind of life that costs anything.

LOL. It's already on my list. 2 years. How do you think I ended up with 2 maxxed out credit cards, no money, burnt out of work, can't remember who or what or when I partied/ hooked up with, and had to come running back to mummy and daddy 2 years ago....???
post #78 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude View Post

Well put mel and I do understand that which you say, althught you put far better than I, I just find it a shame that most, so called "Entertainement" , in this country anyway is so unworthy of the title.
I would also state that entertainement is far, or at least can be, far more than that, it can be entertaining to be informed and learning can be entertaining.
Wishful thinking I know, but I do not see why said entertainment has to be of the lowest form available, ie - big brother, biggest loser and all the other, lets say below par, programs that hit our screens.

I believe people watch itsimply because it is all that is offered buy money hungry newtorks more interested in advertising that in their audiences. And yes I understand they need to make money also.
Most of the recent shows made locally in Australia are made by independent groups/companies and shown on Pay TV because the FTA networks are simply scared of change.

On a side note, do you currently reside in France or the US, if you are in France, don't drink the beer!

I'm a US citizen.

Entertainment CAN be useful for learning, etc. But it is difficult to produce such a thing AND make it entertaining at the same time.

The problem is a truly sad one. Pop culture has slid a long way since WWII. It used to be that movies, broadway plays, and books were of a higher class than they are now.

But, one would be hard pressed to find such things making money today. What we would see in mainstream venues, is now produced as "art". Sad, isn't it?

People no longer have the attention span to learn enough about something difficult, unless it's a video game, and even there, as a report that just came out shows, as one gets older, starting in the mid 20's one begins to lose interest in complex video games as well. This is why "casual" gaming is now the biggest category of games.

It's also why classical music, and even jazz, has almost disappeared from the recording scene.

An example of a movie that was a big hit, but which would never see the light of day today, was "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?". A great film, but too talky. There are others like that.

Broadway today is the provence of such crap as "Cats", and other big, expensive musicals, which are produced for the tourist trade, rather than for the more intellectual New Yorker, who has diminished in number in the past two or three decades.

I could go into a lot about that!
post #79 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's also why classical music, and even jazz, has almost disappeared from the recording scene.

Aren't those genres partly responsible for that? At least for classical, I've seen several people point out that the average tempo of classical performances has slowed down alot from a century ago.
post #80 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Aren't those genres partly responsible for that? At least for classical, I've seen several people point out that the average tempo of classical performances has slowed down alot from a century ago.

Not really. Tempo is generally up to the conductor for large scale works, or to the performer, if they are featured. In the past, while we had Toscanini, we also had Klemperer.

It's the effort required to understand what these works mean, and to listen for it during the performance (and live performances are doing just fine) on the recording.

As much as I like rock, I have to admit that it displaced other forms of music faster, and more thoroughly, than any other pop music in the past had ever done.

The same thing is true for films.

Values have changed as well; distrust, lack of respect for what has come before, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Lionsgate films now available on Apple's iTunes Store