or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple may see royalties from Cingular subscriber growth

Apple may see royalties from Cingular subscriber growth - Page 3

post #81 of 87
We know that a simple piece of plastic won't work with the iPhone. I don't know why - does the touch-screen detect warmth? gsr? what...????

Anyway, I would guess that if you really wanted to use a stylus, there would be a way of making one work. It wouldn't be a 10 cent plastic stick - but a stylus connected/powered by the iPhone connector at the base of the phone (pretending to be a very very thin finger!!) and working ANYWHERE on the screen would be far more appealing to me than an add on wacom-like tablet.

That said... I don't know that I'd ever use one myself.
post #82 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The problem is your confusing % of market with # of customers. No one, including Apple, is claiming that this first iPhone will dominate the market. I believe they are looking at 1% of total market. This will not happen if the target market is 'just' the smart-phone market, which is my point. With this first iPhone Apple would be quite happy with the type of market you're assigning to 'Mac fanatics'.

Oh, i agree with you but did you read the original post?. This guy was not talking about 1% or apple being happy with just having the mac fanatics (which i cannot believe.. apple would love everyone to buy an iphone).
No, he was saying that ease of use would have people flocking to this phone and that is not true. A phone can be the easiest phone but if it does not have desirable features (example, for smartphone, ability to access corporate email, etc) and cost is reasonable, people will not buy. This is a phone, not a computer. Even the worse phones are not that hard to use.
post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

This is a phone, not a computer. Even the worse phones are not that hard to use.

Correction... the worst phones are not that hard to use, IF you're tech-savvy. Joe and Jane Six-pack, however, are a different story.

However, the 'worst phones' for ease of use tend to be phones Joe and Jane SP would never buy in the first place, i.e. high-end smartphones. Joe and Jane usually wind up with a low-end camera phone, and are tickled pink that they can make calls AND take pictures. They think they've found the Swiss-army knife of electronics, there.

Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
Cut-copy-paste, MMS, landscape keyboard, video-recording, voice-calling, and more... FINALLY
To the 'We Didn't Need It' Crowd/Apple Apologista Squad : Wrong again, lol
Thanks for listening to your...
post #84 of 87
Quote:
Teno, that's what this is all about. It won't!

So you don't think that Apple can use Inkwell in the iPhone much the same way its used on the Mac? What empirical knowledge do you have of that fact?

The difficult part is if Apple does not allow this functionality we will never know for sure if could have been used.

Quote:
It doesn't. Not if you have to add another device to do it.

You have to add another device to the Mac to have writing and drawing capability. It also doesn't come stylus ready like a Palm.
post #85 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Correction... the worst phones are not that hard to use, IF you're tech-savvy. Joe and Jane Six-pack, however, are a different story.

However, the 'worst phones' for ease of use tend to be phones Joe and Jane SP would never buy in the first place, i.e. high-end smartphones. Joe and Jane usually wind up with a low-end camera phone, and are tickled pink that they can make calls AND take pictures. They think they've found the Swiss-army knife of electronics, there.

I think we'll discover soon which of us is correct. I think i am correct based on my experience (i've never bought a cool phone that did not meet my needs).

We shall see, shall we not?
post #86 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

We know that a simple piece of plastic won't work with the iPhone. I don't know why - does the touch-screen detect warmth? gsr? what...????

Anyway, I would guess that if you really wanted to use a stylus, there would be a way of making one work. It wouldn't be a 10 cent plastic stick - but a stylus connected/powered by the iPhone connector at the base of the phone (pretending to be a very very thin finger!!) and working ANYWHERE on the screen would be far more appealing to me than an add on wacom-like tablet.

That said... I don't know that I'd ever use one myself.

Wierd. Given the limitations you'd think they're using FTIR but not on that size.

Vinea
post #87 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Oh, i agree with you but did you read the original post?. This guy was not talking about 1% or apple being happy with just having the mac fanatics (which i cannot believe.. apple would love everyone to buy an iphone).
No, he was saying that ease of use would have people flocking to this phone and that is not true. A phone can be the easiest phone but if it does not have desirable features (example, for smartphone, ability to access corporate email, etc) and cost is reasonable, people will not buy. This is a phone, not a computer. Even the worse phones are not that hard to use.

I tried, I really did, but I'm couldn't figure out what the 'original post' was. That aside, I don't think it quite came across that I was referring only to the FIRST iPhone (this one). I do think that people will flock to what I believe will come to be the iPhone line which will be based primarily on ease of use, not featuritus (sp?). This, I believe, is the sea change that Apple is bringing to the mobile phone market. As I've said in other threads, one only has to go look at the comments made on the introduction of the original iPod to see the parallels. 'It's far too expensive', 'It has to have an FM radio.' 'It has to have voice recording.' Non of these were true because it 'Just Worked' with iTunes. The iPod was rejected but the tech-savvy as too simple, too reductionist. What did it do???.... It created a new market.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple may see royalties from Cingular subscriber growth