or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › widgets on desktop

widgets on desktop

post #1 of 8
i feel like an idiot asking this but how can i get my frontrow widgets to stick to my desktop (i.e. not havng to tap f12 every time)?

i used yahoo! widgets on my pc and got used to having the option. i feel like there's a tick box for frontrow i just can't find anywhere

if this isn't possible with frontrow feel free to relieve me of my stupid feeling
post #2 of 8
I will assume that by "Front Row" you mean "Dashboard." If so:

Open up Terminal. Type in this:

defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES

Now log out and log back in again. Once you log back in, you should be able to bring up Dashboard, and then while you are dragging a widget around, hit F12 to close dashboard, and you should still be dragging that single widget around, and it will stay on your desktop, even when the rest of Dashboard is gone.

That work?
"How fortunate are you and I.."
"How fortunate are you and I.."
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirho View Post

i feel like an idiot asking this but how can i get my frontrow widgets to stick to my desktop (i.e. not havng to tap f12 every time)?

i used yahoo! widgets on my pc and got used to having the option. i feel like there's a tick box for frontrow i just can't find anywhere

if this isn't possible with frontrow feel free to relieve me of my stupid feeling

Set Dashboard to open when you move the mouse to a certain corner. Then you don't have to hit any function keys at all.

The only possible reason I could see for having a widget active outside of Dashboard (what people refer to as "on the Desktop") is to copy and paste from it, or to read information while typing into another application.
--Johnny
--Johnny
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Set Dashboard to open when you move the mouse to a certain corner. Then you don't have to hit any function keys at all.

The only possible reason I could see for having a widget active outside of Dashboard (what people refer to as "on the Desktop") is to copy and paste from it, or to read information while typing into another application.

Or to see it without opening Dashboard.
post #5 of 8
frontrow? *slaps self*...i meant dashboard

well i used to use widgets all the time on my pc, cause they were on the desktop......but i havent used them once since having to tap f12 or use active corners.....think i'll just download yahoo widgets for mac
post #6 of 8
My favorite way to activate Dashboard is to use the mouse. The lower portion of the Dashboards & Expose control panel is called 'Keyboard & Mouse shortcuts.' The pull-down menus on the left side are where you select which key stroke activate dashboard, etc. However, the pull-downs on the right side are for mouse buttons. The kool thing about this is that you can hold a key modifier (e.g. shift) when you pull down the menu. This allows you to assign the expose function to a mouse key + modifier.

For instance, I have Dashboard set to shift+Right Click. Expose All Windows set to shift+Middle-Click....and so on. Its very handy.
post #7 of 8
Thanks for the info guys I was wondering how to do it too but didn't have the time to go looking
post #8 of 8
The only problem with the "dev mode" trick is that your widgets stay floating over all your applications. If you don't have huge screen, then that can be a pain. Another solution for widgets on the desktop (which doesn't have this problem because it lets you choose the window level for each widget on the desktop) is the shareware app ($10) Amnesty Singles.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › widgets on desktop