or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What are we Reading?

What are we Reading? - Page 4

post #121 of 146
Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Great auto biography.
White MacBook.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM (two sticks of 512)
120GB HD
Mac OS X: Leopard 10.5.6.
White MacBook.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM (two sticks of 512)
120GB HD
Mac OS X: Leopard 10.5.6.
post #122 of 146
Wrt the British naval adventure series I was beginning to read:

I finally finished the first book, The King's Coat, and now I understand 'why' I had never heard of the author (D. Lambdin) before.

I guess it might have something to do with the fact that those rousing sea battles, where the British navy is slaughtering the enemy and burning their ships, sometimes have the American Continental Navy as their adversary. \

So those slaughtered sailors are Americans, during the war of independence from Britain.

Somehow, having the destroyed foe be one's own countrymen tends to put a strange edge on those particular battle scenes in the novel.

The 'other' British naval series I had enjoyed so much mostly took place during the Napoleonic Wars, with a different set of opponents altogether.

Speaking of the Napoleonic Wars, I also read the entire series of Sharpe's Rifles, which dealt with the British 'army' during the same time period. Also some great and highly addictive stories.
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
Much have I seen and known...yet all experience is an arch, wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades forever and forever when I move. - Tennyson
post #123 of 146
I'm finishing up The Scar by China Mieville. This book moves a lot faster than Perdido Street Station and is a lot more exciting.

Next up is Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I've always liked his comic book work, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Then Iron Sunrise by Charles Stross...oh shit , I just found out this is a sequel to his earlier book Singularity Sky. Oh well, I've got time to look around for the other book. \
post #124 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Next up is Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I've always liked his comic book work, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

That is a pretty good book, but it's not as good as Douglas Adams' earlier take on the same concept, in "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul."
"How fortunate are you and I.."
post #125 of 146
I'm still reading Clive Barker's Imajica, because I got distracted from reading during my commute for a while by a new toy.

What an incredible piece of literature.

Most people find it odd talking of literature and fantasy in the same breath, but that's what makes Clive Barker unique amongst his peers. His prose is gorgeous, and his character development unmatched even in the greatest classical epic. Combined with his brilliant, grotesque imagination and descriptive skills, the result is nothing short of astounding.

The book is political, religious, feminist, humanist, horrific, erotic... it's got everything.

One of the amazing things about this book is how each and every one of the villains' motives are displayed. Not only do we follow what the evil dopplegagner of Sartori does, we know exactly why he chooses to do it. Even minor villains have their motives clearly explained, and we are able to understand those motives, and even empathize with them, if we can pretend we're coming from within the same mindset. Did anyone know why Sauron did what he did? No, Tolkien never explained it. He was just a villain.

Meanwhile the line between good and bad is constantly blurred, with heroes taking innocent lives, and villains showing mercy and sensitivity; not a breath of fresh air... but a breath of real air against the usual black and white of literary conflict.

If anyone has not read Clive Barker, start now.

Weaveworld is simply amazing, but Imajica is nothing short of a masterpiece. Barker's latest creation, Abarat, follows in a similar vein, but is a little more innocent and less refined, entertaining and stunning in visual imagery (helped by Barker's paintings) as it is.
post #126 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Did anyone know why Sauron did what he did? No, Tolkien never explained it. He was just a villain.

I have added some Clive Barker to my summer reading list. Your passionate enthusasim is too much to resist.

But there was no reason to take a shot at Tolkien

Admitedly Tolkien did not spend time trying to get you to empathise with all the characters--good or evil. I wouldn't call that a defect but an artistic choice. Nevertheless, if you want to know the whys of Sauron, Tolkein did spend time with character development and motivation of Sauron as well as many of the other characeters in the Lord of The Rings trilogy--just not in the LOTR itself. You can go over to the Silmarilllion. As I understand it, Tolkein intended to publish that work allong with LOTR, but the publishers balked.

Nevertheless, you set a high bar. I expect Clive to kick some Tolkien @$$...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #127 of 146
Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
A friend will help you move, but a REAL FRIEND will help you move a body.
post #128 of 146
Now I'm back to David Mitchell. I've read all of his books except Ghostwritten, his first, which I'm now half way through. Awesome.
post #129 of 146
Just finished Dangerous Visions by Harlan Ellison. Great anthology of disturbing sci-fi stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard.

Scientology?
post #130 of 146
Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins. Classic sarcasm at it's best! Only for those who are into fiction.
post #131 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimela View Post

Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins. Classic sarcasm at it's best! Only for those who are into fiction.

Wasn't too impressed by Catch 22, if that's what you mean by classic sarcasm...

And I bet I'll get a lot of response to that comment.
post #132 of 146
Falling Man by Don DeLillo.
MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

MacBook Pro 15" (Unibody)/2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250GB HD/SuperDrive
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB...

post #133 of 146
I've finished Ghostwritten and it was great. Maybe not as good as Number9Dream or Cloud Atlas, but still awesome.

Now I'm reading something I've wanted to read ever since I got addicted to the old game for Mac Plus called "Bandit Kings of Ancient China". It's the Chinese classic "Outlaws of the Marsh" (also referred to as "Water Margin"). So far it's fantastic! Especially since I'm already familiar with the characters from the game.
post #134 of 146
I didn't see any point in starting a NEW thread ... so maybe this one will continue.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/fool...67417447?mt=11
"Fool Me Twice" by Shawn Otto

Very interesting read ... in some ways, a bit of a treatise on why our politicians are failing us.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #135 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

A great classic is Catcher in the Rye by Salinger. It pertains to what life is about.
post #136 of 146
i'm reading SWAMPLANDIA
post #137 of 146
"Genius: The Life and Scienc of Richard Feynman", by James Gleick
post #138 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

"Genius: The Life and Scienc of Richard Feynman", by James Gleick

Loved that one! Read it twice... His autobiography is good too ("Surely You're Joking...") but it was the main source for Genius, so there is quite a bit of overlap...
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #139 of 146

Heroes of olympus, have finished both books so far awaiting next book in series, have also read Time Riders series but I keep on forgetting the author.

I have also read "The messenger of truth" and "An irish countrymen doctor" by Patrick Taylor.

Edited by macbook pro i5 - 8/24/12 at 7:05pm
post #140 of 146

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins... I know I'm way behind to read this trilogy... but still, better late than never... :)

post #141 of 146

I like to read the "Fifty Shades of Grey". But, I am only done with the chapter 1... I really find it cute and romantic though people labeled it as some erotic story.

post #142 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlaque View Post

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins... I know I'm way behind to read this trilogy... but still, better late than never... :)

I haven't read that story but someone told me that it has a nice plot.

post #143 of 146

Just started reading Game of Thrones. Hard to get into.   :)

post #144 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Catch-22 is a satirical and historical novel by the American author Joseph Heller. I have read the synopsis and i agreed with you!

post #145 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post

Catch-22 ... I have read the synopsis and i agreed with you!

Read the whole story before you make your judgement... A "synopsis" is NOT the story the author wrote.

(even if you still don't like it, you'll have broadened your intellectual horizons.)
post #146 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Read the whole story before you make your judgement... A "synopsis" is NOT the story the author wrote.
(even if you still don't like it, you'll have broadened your intellectual horizons.)

If i find the synopsis boring then what will i expect for the whole story??? I won't waste my time for that. Synopsis is the best way an author let the people read their stories.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › What are we Reading?