or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AT&T (Cingular) mulling iPhone price tweaks, survey reveals
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T (Cingular) mulling iPhone price tweaks, survey reveals

post #1 of 150
Thread Starter 
While Apple has strong-armed wireless heavyweight AT&T for much of their iPhone deal, the subject of pricing in the carrier's go-to-market strategy may still be up in the air, recent discoveries show.

The Wall Street Journal on Saturday published an exhaustive investigation of the iPhone's tumultuous development cycle that exposed the sheer amount of control Apple wielded over the whole affair -- including the touchy subject of prices.

Even though Apple's partner AT&T (recently known as Cingular) has been adamant in the past that it had "bent" the Cupertino firm to its will by signing a multi-year exclusive deal, the Journal's Amol Sharma revealed that the latter had squeezed an immense number of concessions from AT&T, which normally holds all the cards in its negotiations. Some of these are by now legendary, such as the near-total absence of carrier branding and the insistence that the iPhone only sell in the controlled environments of Apple and AT&T retail stores.

Standing out among the claims in the report, however, was the apparent confirmation of a revenue-sharing plan. Apple would snatch a part of the monthly subscription fees for every iPhone sold, Sharma said. This contrasts sharply with the profit-taking deals for other cellphone makers, which often end as soon as their devices reach a customer's hands. Verizon was known to have turned down a similar offer before the AT&T deal had been struck.

The agreement undoubtedly skewed the pricing arrangement in favor of Apple, guaranteeing a steady cash flow from every iPhone buyer that passes through AT&T's doors. What's less than certain is Apple's influence over the final sticker price, according to a PineCone Research survey leaked online.

ATT/Cingular iPhone pricing survey | Source: PineCone Research.

Discovered (and later pulled) by Apple iPhone Review, the now authenticated study showed a sample ad that deliberately lowered prices to gauge customer reactions to different price levels. Surprisingly, the two-year contract prices in the mockup fell to $299 and $399 for the 4GB and 8GB models respectively -- a precipitous $200 drop from the figures given by Apple at the Macworld keynote in January. Calling and data rates were unchanged.

Although far from a confirmation of a new strategy, the leak has uncovered AT&T's willingness to toy with the pricing of what will almost certainly be a cash cow for the provider. It also calls into question the pricing scheme floated by PiperJaffray analyst Mike Wakley, who suggested last month that the carrier wouldn't subsidize the initial cost to protect the iPhone designer's premium reputation.

It remains to be seen what part, if any, Apple has played in the test pricing.
post #2 of 150
$299 would be a lot more tempting. Except it's still friggin' AT&T. I hate them so much I don't think I'd buy it if it was less than $100.
post #3 of 150
Does apple want to force people to get $40 + data planes with the Iphone?
post #4 of 150
LOL@anyone thinking that Cingular won't get their money...one way or another. Apple maybe getting a bigger cut, but rest assured that those cuts will be made up for by us, the loyal Apple fans. As the poster above said, the data plan will be high, or they'll find a way to nickle and dime us one way or another.\
post #5 of 150
iPhone sales are far more critical for Apple than for AT&T.

AT&Tis doing just fine without it, though the intention is to try to gain more customers with it.

If it doesn't sell well, Apple will be screwed. That's the problem when you make something like this the certerpiece of your company, as Apple has done right noe, to the exclusion of almost everything else.

It MUST succeed.

Whatever AT&T does, should be fine, as long as it sells phones for Apple.

Some people decry AT&T's service. That's fine,

But, remember that even the worst cell service has only a few percent of its customers who are not happy.
post #6 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Does apple want to force people to get $40 + data planes with the Iphone?

Without a data plan, few phones these days can be used to their potential.

How do you expect to get onto the internet, or get email, without a data plan?
post #7 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Without a data plan, few phones these days can be used to their potential.

How do you expect to get onto the internet, or get email, without a data plan?

doesn't the iPhone have a wireless card? In which case you wouldn't necessarily need a data plan.
post #8 of 150
I am quite skeptical of this report....... I guess we have to wait a few more months to see how it all shakes out.

Btw, while I agree that iPhone is more important to Apple than ATT, that is perhaps only in the short run. Service providers such as ATT (formerly Cingular) have to be looking to where their future growth opportunities are -- and that is from the next generation of phones such as iPhone that offer much more than voice. They need products such as these to radically expand their own cash flows. While the traditional voice plans have been cash cows, they have been almost zero-growth cash cows. Monthly revenues per subscriber have barely gone up during the past few years (e.g., Cingular's stock price -- now rechristened ATT -- is basically only where it was over five years ago). Also, they are all stuck with major capex commitments they have made (and are continuing to make) in broadband.

I think that, before long, the Verizons, etc will also seek to enter this market aggressively (e.g., with LG or Samsung), but where ATT will have the significant edge will be in the software, and that is thanks to Apple. Not one mobile phone provider has so far been able to get its software to work well for non-voice applications (and even in voice, they regularly frustrate their customers): In the longer run, ATT is getting so much more than just voice and data plan revenues from this deal.
post #9 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWAL View Post

doesn't the iPhone have a wireless card? In which case you wouldn't necessarily need a data plan.

It doesn't have a wireless card, it has WiFi built-in.

That is no guarantee that that it will be usable to get onto data services. There are ways of limiting this. It could be tied to AT&T's services. We don't know yet.

Remember that there are ways to limit just what you use the WiFi connection for, as well as the other phone based data services.

An example is the question of why can't anyone who has an internet enabled smartphone go to iTunes and buy tunes?

Why can't a data service phone be used as a model for your laptop?

Why does the cell provider have to agree to that?

Why can't the Zune go onto the internet? Could someone write a browser for it?

I know that some people assume that this can be done with the iPhone, but I'm not so sure at this time. Neither Apple, or AT&T, has been clear on this.

I'm not saying that it can't be done either. But, it's not a done deal.

If one doesn't have a data plan from AT&T (though it might be required when getting the iPhone, I didn't look at AT&T's site plan for this.), or one discontinues the service, the WiFi could be effectively disabled in software, or its functions limited. It can be done.

Would it be? No one here can know that now, no matter what they may say.
post #10 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am quite skeptical of this report....... I guess we have to wait a few more months to see how it all shakes out.

Btw, while I agree that iPhone is more important to Apple than ATT, that is perhaps only in the short run. Service providers such as ATT (formerly Cingular) have to be looking to where their future growth opportunities are -- and that is from the next generation of phones such as iPhone that offer much more than voice. They need products such as these to radically expand their own cash flows. While the traditional voice plans have been cash cows, they have been almost zero-growth cash cows. Monthly revenues per subscriber have barely gone up during the past few years (e.g., Cingular's stock price -- now rechristened ATT -- is basically only where it was over five years ago). Also, they are all stuck with major capex commitments they have made (and are continuing to make) in broadband.

I think that, before long, the Verizons, etc will also seek to enter this market aggressively (e.g., with LG or Samsung), but where ATT will have the significant edge will be in the software, and that is thanks to Apple. Not one mobile phone provider has so far been able to get its software to work well for non-voice applications (and even in voice, they regularly frustrate their customers): In the longer run, ATT is getting so much more than just voice and data plan revenues from this deal.

You know the old story about MS's products: They aren't always "good", but they are "good enough".

This is the problem Apple always has. So, the iPhone MAY be in advance of other products, in some ways, but for how long?

Thwere are several other phones with screens just as large that have now come out. Some with lower rez, but other with the same Rez. Their screens can be upgraded.

Others have touchscreens, one with feedback, which Apple doesn't have.

How many of these phones will be "good enough"?

How many people buy copies of clothing, watches, and other goods? Plenty.

I also see some kids buying Zune's because they are NOT Apple products.

Apple has a headstart, but they need to keep moving forward quickly, or they will find their sales impacted by others.

Apple has made a mistake, for example, by not also having a secure mail service, instead of just going with Yahoo. Most people who need the kind of mail that Blackberry offers, and now Apple and AT&T will be offering, are corporate. Apple has locked itself out of that entire market.

By not having 3G, Apple has caused itself problems as well. The excuse Jobs gave was very lame. Hopefully, the finished unit being tested by the FCC will include it, though it will be more expensive.
post #11 of 150
Im still locked in with Sprint a little while, unless someone knows how to get out of their contracts
post #12 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Im still locked in with Sprint a little while, unless someone knows how to get out of their contracts

Until when?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Im still locked in with Sprint a little while, unless someone knows how to get out of their contracts

I'm also with Sprint. with my Treo 700p, I'm in no rush to leave.

Why don't you wait until this phone is out, has been in people's hands for a while, and you can properly evaluate it, before you think of jumping?
post #14 of 150
Will you be able to purchase the iPhone without signing up for service, i.e., to just use the iPod? Not interested in going with ATT cellular service as I'm happy with my T-mobile service. While I know the phone and related data services will not work, I just would like to have the device for the iPod features and any others that dont require phone connectivity. Any word on whether they will allow you to purchase and whether the price will be jacked up even higher than the current advertisement?
post #15 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveRex View Post

Will you be able to purchase the iPhone without signing up for service, i.e., to just use the iPod? Not interested in going with ATT cellular service as I'm happy with my T-mobile service. While I know the phone and related data services will not work, I just would like to have the device for the iPod features and any others that dont require phone connectivity. Any word on whether they will allow you to purchase and whether the price will be jacked up even higher than the current advertisement?

As far as we know now, no.

If you just want the iPod features then this is a lousy purchase.

Why don't you wait to see what Apple does about incorporating the non-phone features into later iPods?
post #16 of 150
I can possibly see myself jumping for those prices, even though I don't need a PDA yet, my current one is still fine.

I can see the originally given prices prevailing for several months, to soak the early adopters, with a couple reductions staggered every three or so months. I think the original large iPod Photo went for $550 or $600, and its price was dropped a couple times to $500 and then $400, with a few months between.

The image could be completely fake, made by anyone, even Cingular, as a ruse to convince Apple to capitulate on some things, or by others in a campaign to deflate the hype and interest in the device. I really don't think that the Cingular name will appear anywhere on a real ad once the device is released.
post #17 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I really don't think that the Cingular name will appear anywhere on a real ad once the device is released.

And why would that be? I can't imagine Cingular/ATT not being displayed prominently in advertising. Steve just doesn't want the name on the case, is will be in the software and wherever else will sell them...
post #18 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by artse View Post

And why would that be? I can't imagine Cingular/ATT not being displayed prominently in advertising.

I get the impression that the Cingular name is going away, that's why. The ATT name would be what I would think it would be when it goes live.

Quote:
Steve just doesn't want the name on the case, is will be in the software and wherever else will sell them...

I don't know what Steve really wants regarding the branding, but Cingular's name is currently on the case on Apple's current prototypes. It is on the bezel, on the upper left corner.
post #19 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know what Steve really wants regarding the branding, but Cingular's name is currently on the case on Apple's current prototypes. It is on the bezel, on the upper left corner.

It is in the UI's top left, though. So that's where "AT&T" will be. The Cingular brand is dead, yep.
post #20 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

It is in the UI's top left, though. So that's where "AT&T" will be. The Cingular brand is dead, yep.

Oops, you are right, I had misinterpreted the image that I looked at some time ago. I'm not sure what it will look like, I'm thinking the "Death Star" swirl logo will probably be there.
post #21 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post


By not having 3G, Apple has caused itself problems as well. The excuse Jobs gave was very lame. Hopefully, the finished unit being tested by the FCC will include it, though it will be more expensive.

And say bye bye to any battery time the phone had? I think not, unless El Jobso have made some major innovation in the battery business. But perhaps they counted on 3G being in the phone when they calculated battery time.

Anyway, least dropped calls? I never had a dropped call over here, unless you somehow find yourself in an area completely without coverage. What gives?
post #22 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can possibly see myself jumping for those prices, even though I don't need a PDA yet, my current one is still fine.

I can see the originally given prices prevailing for several months, to soak the early adopters, with a couple reductions staggered every three or so months. I think the original large iPod Photo went for $550 or $600, and its price was dropped a couple times to $500 and then $400, with a few months between.

The image could be completely fake, made by anyone, even Cingular, as a ruse to convince Apple to capitulate on some things, or by others in a campaign to deflate the hype and interest in the device. I really don't think that the Cingular name will appear anywhere on a real ad once the device is released.

It isn't so much to soak the early adopters, as it is to pay off the R&D. The R&D is always taken off the top end, that is, it's figured into a certain number of units sold within a certain time (for tax reasons among others). After that, the price can come down, sometimes by a large amount. After that, price reductions usually reflect larger manufacturing savings obtained from paying off the start-up costs for the device.
post #23 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

And say bye bye to any battery time the phone had? I think not, unless El Jobso have made some major innovation in the battery business. But perhaps they counted on 3G being in the phone when they calculated battery time.

Anyway, least dropped calls? I never had a dropped call over here, unless you somehow find yourself in an area completely without coverage. What gives?

I would be more concerned about battery life with the current WiFi chipsets than for 3G service.

And don't forget that Jobs did say that it will be getting 3G. He just didn't say when.
post #24 of 150
it's bigger than the above suggests, the iphone being part of the montrous hit ipod is giving att huge huge buzz, and people will walk into the store and if they don't buy iphone that will creat tremendous traffic which puts the advantage to att not verizon, i bet V is kicking themselves in the b...lls, to allow a competitor to gain this kind of industry control and buzz. att could lose on every iphone but they win win win with more and more customers. it's also a prestige thing, they can say they have the best. it's catch up for all manufacturers and big V, it also humiliates V because they already have a rep for crippling their phone feature set.....
what's great about this is that with iphone it's pushing more power to the manufactures and customers, i would rather have a system like europe where you buy the phone and it works on all networks and then pick the best plan for your needs.
networks know that growth in voice revenue is matured, now it's data data data and more and more plans. this iphone tells people hey i don't want just a regular phone i want a smart phone, a brilliant phone as one analyst stated, so those avg bills and plans $$$$$ go up up up, which is where the profit is
that's why att is actually doing this, even though they have that old bell foggy ways, this pulls in the youth market to smart phone plans. it's now hip to have a smart phone, and the other manufactures are caught with their pants down allowing apple to get 18 months of momentum.

other manufactures could have done what apple did but they didn't have the ipod as the push.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #25 of 150
Quote:
Apple has made a mistake, for example, by not also having a secure mail service, instead of just going with Yahoo. Most people who need the kind of mail that Blackberry offers, and now Apple and AT&T will be offering, are corporate. Apple has locked itself out of that entire market.

That's difficult to say. People assume iPhone will not support MS Exchange because Jobs did not say so specifically. A this point its difficult to say for sure. Apple may be building its own open source system with Calendar Server.

Quote:
By not having 3G, Apple has caused itself problems as well. The excuse Jobs gave was very lame. Hopefully, the finished unit being tested by the FCC will include it, though it will be more expensive.

What mistake? How was his excuse lame? Its not as though the general consumer is clamoring for 3G in the United States. ATT may be working on improving EDGE and I also see several new phones that use EDGE.

The big mistake I see Apple making is in storage. I'm beginning to agree with those that 4GB and 8GB are not enough. Thinking about loading software, e-mails, documents, contacts, appointments, pictures. What room is possibly left for very many songs or video. If Apple does go with this as internal they should also offer a micro SD slot. I imagine Jobs thinks fooling around with SD cards is not the most elegant solution.

The perfect solution would be to offer more storage. Apple could cut some exclusive deal with Samsung to get its new 32 GB flash drives at a discount for the iPhone.
post #26 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's difficult to say. People assume iPhone will not support MS Exchange because Jobs did not say so specifically. A this point its difficult to say for sure. Apple may be building its own open source system with Calendar Server.

I don't mean Exchange. I'm talking about the push mail service of Yahoo, that is similar to the one the Blacberry uses, except that it's not secure, as the one RIM has.

Quote:
What mistake? How was his excuse lame? Its not as though the general consumer is clamoring for 3G in the United States. ATT may be working on improving EDGE and I also see several new phones that use EDGE.

Other smartphones that have 3g are being sold, and bought, by AT&T users, despite the fact that their 3G rollout isn't complete. to give that as a reason for not including it, was lame.

High end phone users are demanding it, or at least the 2.5 G services. The iPhone will have neither.

It won't fly in Europe or Asia, and rollout there isn't going to be that far away. Europe by the end of December, at the latest, and Asia, sometime in 2008, likely early, rather than late.

Quote:
The big mistake I see Apple making is in storage. I'm beginning to agree with those that 4GB and 8GB are not enough. Thinking about loading software, e-mails, documents, contacts, appointments, pictures. What room is possibly left for very many songs or video. If Apple does go with this as internal they should also offer a micro SD slot. I imagine Jobs thinks fooling around with SD cards is not the most elegant solution.

The perfect solution would be to offer more storage. Apple could cut some exclusive deal with Samsung to get its new 32 GB flash drives at a discount for the iPhone.

I think that storage is fine for now. People also thought that the Nano's would bomb, having less storage than the Mini's, but they didn't. Most people simply don't store that much stuff on the machines. I don't think that will change much.

You can think of the 4 GB model as equiv. to the 2 Gb Nano, and the 8 GB model as equiv. to the 4 GB Nano. That leaves enough storage for whatever else is needed. Most emails take up little space, and won't be stored long term on the phone anyway. There won't be much software to buy for some time, so that's out. How much video do you really think people will have? Not much, I'm sure.

32 GB is vastly too expensive for now, will use even more power, and Samsung won't give any special discount. Apple will have to negotiate for it. It will still cost far too much. The current prices for the phone are based on discounted memory now.
post #27 of 150
It is too bad the deal with Verizon or perhaps Sprint didn't work out. Did you see in the keynote how slow the internet was on the phone during jobs presentation. Verizon or Sprint are so much faster. This phone will be limited in the speed department.
post #28 of 150
Quote:
Other smartphones that have 3g are being sold, and bought, by AT&T users, despite the fact that their 3G rollout isn't complete. to give that as a reason for not including it, was lame.

The choice came from either having a wireless network that was fast but not everywhere. Or having a wireless network that was slower but more ubiquitous. But too all of this could be changed by June.

Quote:
It won't fly in Europe or Asia,

Which likely points to the fact we will have a 3G iPhone sooner than later.

Quote:
People also thought that the Nano's would bomb

The Nano's don't store video.

Quote:
That leaves enough storage for whatever else is needed. Most emails take up little space, and won't be stored long term on the phone anyway.

I agree 4GB/8Gb is plenty for e-mail, contacts, calendars appointments and so on. But not enough for that and music, pictures, and video.

Quote:
There won't be much software to buy for some time, so that's out.

We really will have to wait and see what Apple decides about software. Certainly there will be no shortage of developers and apps for the iPhone. Will Apple only play the gatekeeper allowing anyone who wants to develop to pass. Or will Apple only allow specific apps it chooses. I imagine it'll be the later first and loosen restrictions later.

Quote:
How much video do you really think people will have? Not much, I'm sure.

For having an online video store they are not giving you much choice.
post #29 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The choice came from either having a wireless network that was fast but not everywhere. Or having a wireless network that was slower but more ubiquitous. But too all of this could be changed by June.

The other phones have both 3G and EDGE. No reason for Apple to be different. And, they WILL have 3G, they said so.

Quote:
Which likely points to the fact we will have a 3G iPhone sooner than later.

Yes, as I said. So, there is no reason to have to have more than one model out there, one with 3G and one without.

Quote:
The Nano's don't store video.

I know people who put music video's on their Nano to transfer elsewhere.

Quote:
I agree 4GB/8Gb is plenty for e-mail, contacts, calendars appointments and so on. But not enough for that and music, pictures, and video.

I don't agree. People will not put more than a very few video's on these little devices. You watch a video once, and remove it. It's not like music, and there is plenty of room for music.

Quote:
We really will have to wait and see what Apple decides about software. Certainly there will be no shortage of developers and apps for the iPhone. Will Apple only play the gatekeeper allowing anyone who wants to develop to pass. Or will Apple only allow specific apps it chooses. I imagine it'll be the later first and loosen restrictions later.

There will be a shortage of developers and apps, if Apple has its way.
post #30 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I would be more concerned about battery life with the current WiFi chipsets than for 3G service.

And don't forget that Jobs did say that it will be getting 3G. He just didn't say when.

It will definitely have 3G in the fall when it goes on sale in Europe. It will also have a sim card for the provider of choice. Apple will sell the phone and the buyer will choose the service provider, unless the provider locks you in for a contract period to recoup any discount they offer the user.
post #31 of 150
I think it's rather asinine to assume that the iPhone has enough storage. 4-8 gigs IS enough for a nano because it's a music player primarily, and that's what it's good at. No one would watch video on a nano screen due to the sheer size of it, so, other than transporting, there's little reason to have video on a nano. Apple knows that, that's why the nano sizes are what they are.

Anyone who wants video will buy iPod with video whose screen is just large enough to watch videos for a short amount of time without a bit of eyestrain. Those iPods come with massive hard drives for a portable music player because of the fact that Apple knows people use this model to view video. Not movies, mind you, because most people don't watch movies on their iPods. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some do, but most people would rather not stare at that screen for 90 minutes or more. That's why television shows are so hot at the iTunes Store. 20 minute shows with no commercials is the perfect amount of time for most of us to stare at the iPod's screen without eye strain.

But this problem is solved with iPhone. 3.5 inches, as small as it sounds, is actually a pretty good size to watch full-out movies when you're on the go and waiting. Apple knows this. This will be the perfect portable video device by itself as an iPod, never mind everything else they put in it. 4-8 is NOT enough unless.... Yea, I'm sure Apple thought of this, too.

The real Video iPod. iPhone with the same screen without iPhone.app or the radio. Keep wi-fi ability for access to the web and google, widgets, etc when you're at a hot-spot. (Many homes have wifi, as do work-places and even malls.) HUGE hard drives in here. Apple has 5.5 gen iPods with 80 GB drives and that's a good place to start.

Suddenly, the recent inclusions of movies on iTunes makes sense. People will want to buy content, and this Video iPod will be the perfect way to view it to go. Of course, AppleTV will take that same file to your HD TV.

I think the strategy is rather smart. It really corners the market.
post #32 of 150
Heh...at the end of the article I was thinking "Hey it would be nice to see this Cingular ad" when it was right in the middle of the article and my eyes just skipped over it so completely I didn't notice that it WAS the Cingular iPhone ad.

Anyone else do that or am I the only one that ignores web ads so completely?

Vinea
post #33 of 150
Wait...the annoying add in the middle had something to do with the article ....ohhhhhhhhhhh!
post #34 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Heh...at the end of the article I was thinking "Hey it would be nice to see this Cingular ad" when it was right in the middle of the article and my eyes just skipped over it so completely I didn't notice that it WAS the Cingular iPhone ad.

Anyone else do that or am I the only one that ignores web ads so completely?

Vinea

Second
post #35 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Second

Yeah, but don't publicize it. We might have to start subscribing with $$ if online advertizers realize we don't pay attention.

Actually, I have noticed the pop up adds that cover the articles make me NOT want to see the movie they advertize or buy their product. I just find them so annoying. But I guess they do that to make sure that we see them...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #36 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm also with Sprint. with my Treo 700p, I'm in no rush to leave.

Why don't you wait until this phone is out, has been in people's hands for a while, and you can properly evaluate it, before you think of jumping?

I for one will be glad to dump my Treo 700p in a heartbeat when the iPhone comes out. I'm tired of all the freezes and restarts I have to perform.

What makes the iPhone compelling, and what is going to blow away the phone community, is multitouch. While lots of phone makers are adding larger screens, none of them to date, except for Apple, have anything as exciting and innovative as multitouch.

Having owned a smartphone for quite a while, I can say that ease of use is everything when you're dealing with a handheld device. If it does what you want, but takes too many steps to get to it, it won't prevail in the market. The iPhone will do many of the same things that I already do with my 700p, but much better: the web browser is lightyears ahead of the awful browser in the 700p.

The same goes for the other apps in the iPhone. So far as guys trying to buy an iPhone without a data plan, I seriously doubt that will even be possible.
post #37 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

And say bye bye to any battery time the phone had? I think not, unless El Jobso have made some major innovation in the battery business. But perhaps they counted on 3G being in the phone when they calculated battery time.

Anyway, least dropped calls? I never had a dropped call over here, unless you somehow find yourself in an area completely without coverage. What gives?

My understanding is that 3G will be added once there's enough coverage in the U.S. to justify its inclusion.

Remember, this is just the first version. There will be countless refinements and improvements to the iPhone, just like there have been for the iPod.

Take a look at the first version of the iPod and then compare it to what we have now--the difference is amazing.
post #38 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by longterm View Post

I for one will be glad to dump my Treo 700p in a heartbeat when the iPhone comes out. I'm tired of all the freezes and restarts I have to perform.

What makes the iPhone compelling, and what is going to blow away the phone community, is multitouch. While lots of phone makers are adding larger screens, none of them to date, except for Apple, have anything as exciting and innovative as multitouch.

Having owned a smartphone for quite a while, I can say that ease of use is everything when you're dealing with a handheld device. If it does what you want, but takes too many steps to get to it, it won't prevail in the market. The iPhone will do many of the same things that I already do with my 700p, but much better: the web browser is lightyears ahead of the awful browser in the 700p.

The same goes for the other apps in the iPhone. So far as guys trying to buy an iPhone without a data plan, I seriously doubt that will even be possible.

I'm with that, my Treo 650 is not so stable. However, It does have a feel-able keyboard with quick dials stored to various keys, that I can use without looking. Hopefully the iPhone has better headset ability , otherwise a flat, screen-only phone could be a major pain in the a**.
post #39 of 150
Quote:
The other phones have both 3G and EDGE. No reason for Apple to be different. And, they WILL have 3G, they said so.

Well you are the one who initially said its a big mistake for Apple to leave 3G off of the iPhone.

Quote:
So, there is no reason to have to have more than one model out there, one with 3G and one without.

I agree. But the iPhone will sell either way.

Quote:
I know people who put music video's on their Nano to transfer elsewhere.

That's totally different. I'm talking about video you can actually use on the device.

Quote:
I don't agree. People will not put more than a very few video's on these little devices. You watch a video once, and remove it.

How would you know this for sure? With the ability to get almost anything from P2P, I would more believe people carrying around video is becoming more common. Especially people under 25.

Quote:
There will be a shortage of developers and apps, if Apple has its way.

Well I mean if Apple nourishes a developer community there will be no shortage of apps. And how do you know Apples way? Steve never said they would allow no third party apps. He said they would control what software can be added to the iPhone.
post #40 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post

I think it's rather asinine to assume that the iPhone has enough storage. 4-8 gigs IS enough for a nano because it's a music player primarily, and that's what it's good at. No one would watch video on a nano screen due to the sheer size of it, so, other than transporting, there's little reason to have video on a nano. Apple knows that, that's why the nano sizes are what they are.

Anyone who wants video will buy iPod with video whose screen is just large enough to watch videos for a short amount of time without a bit of eyestrain. Those iPods come with massive hard drives for a portable music player because of the fact that Apple knows people use this model to view video. Not movies, mind you, because most people don't watch movies on their iPods. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some do, but most people would rather not stare at that screen for 90 minutes or more. That's why television shows are so hot at the iTunes Store. 20 minute shows with no commercials is the perfect amount of time for most of us to stare at the iPod's screen without eye strain.

But this problem is solved with iPhone. 3.5 inches, as small as it sounds, is actually a pretty good size to watch full-out movies when you're on the go and waiting. Apple knows this. This will be the perfect portable video device by itself as an iPod, never mind everything else they put in it. 4-8 is NOT enough unless.... Yea, I'm sure Apple thought of this, too.

The real Video iPod. iPhone with the same screen without iPhone.app or the radio. Keep wi-fi ability for access to the web and google, widgets, etc when you're at a hot-spot. (Many homes have wifi, as do work-places and even malls.) HUGE hard drives in here. Apple has 5.5 gen iPods with 80 GB drives and that's a good place to start.

Suddenly, the recent inclusions of movies on iTunes makes sense. People will want to buy content, and this Video iPod will be the perfect way to view it to go. Of course, AppleTV will take that same file to your HD TV.

I think the strategy is rather smart. It really corners the market.

It's also asinine to assume that it doesn't have enough storage.

It will have enough storage for most people who want one. Those who want more storage can either keep using their iPod for a while longer until flash comes down further in price, or just go and buy another phone that can play music as well as this, as well as videos, that has the 32 GB of storage they are insisting upon.

Which device will that be?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AT&T (Cingular) mulling iPhone price tweaks, survey reveals