[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1044433]Apple chief executive Steve Jobs lashed out at teachers unions during an education reform conference on friday, claiming that no amount of technology in the classroom would better public schools until principals had authorization to fire bad teachers.
Speaking alongside Dell founder and recently reappointed chief executive Michael Dell at the Austin, Texas-based conference, the Associated Press reports that Jobs focused on comparing schools to businesses with principals serving as CEOs.
"What kind of person could you get to run a small business if you told them that when they came in they couldn't get rid of people that they thought weren't any good?" he asked. "Not really great ones because if you're really smart you go, 'I can't win."'
Jobs said the problem with U.S. institutions is that they have become unionized to a point where ridding public schools of poor teachers is prohibited. "This unionization and lifetime employment of K-12 teachers is off-the-charts crazy," he said.
Although Jobs drew enthusiastic applause at various intervals, he acknowledged that his raw criticisms were unlikely to be as well-received by the local school board.
"Apple just lost some business in this state, I'm sure," he said.
Dell, who reportedly sat quietly with his hands folded in his lap during Jobs' tirade, responded by saying that unions were created because employers were treating his employees unfairly.
"So now you have these enterprises where they take good care of their people," he said. "The employees won, they do really well and succeed."
OK, JUST LISTEN UP "educational village" :
For 9 years now, I've been using Mac laptops in
my classroom and encouraging the kids to buy Mac as they see how easily I project to my home-made screen with a Toshiba digital projector; how I can summon and anotate, any image imaginable, with the ancient and abandoned AppleWorks; present QT clips of real-life math in the news, historical facts, etc.
THIS GEAR MEANS SURVIVAL & EFFICIENCY
• I pinch pennies to upgrade my system for them.
• I use the projector to get around the continuing hassle of borrowing, securing, and documenting AV equipment from the school.
• I use AppleWorks to save tons of time not looking for markers that are dry out of the box, chalk that scratches the board, boards that skid chalk and are vandalized ; graph boards that are scarce as hens' teeth; manipulatives and demo gear that is always in need of repair or otherwise crippled; etc. ad-nauseam : schools are always ripped off by companies on the District's approved purchasing list. Everyone marvelled when they saw my 12" Powerbook G4 + Digital projector + Wacom graphics tablet in action. No more acetates to get wet or dirty, no more lost packs of slides ... just a pdf file set in a folder ---- reproducible and transmissible via ad-hoc network WI-FI.
At the receiving end of this, a crowded classroom of children...
• CROWDED because only 3/4 of the student body fit in the building at any one time. So we have 4-track revolving door schools. BECAUSE criminal, fat, cigar-sucking biiiizzzzznnezzz millionaires don't pay the people here enough to have a good property tax base and allocate wealth to schools instead of liquor stores in every corner.
The book covers we just gave our kids depict photos of sweat-drenched, scowling , b-ball thugs. Sometimes it's a bullying Mr. T charcter,
other times it's Army recruitment crap for the poor to go be dismembered to save the rich folk's bacon... compliments of fat, cigar-sucking criminal ceo's probably raking a tax break for "helping inner-city, at-risk youngsters" ... horsesh_t! ( That's a fill-in-the-blank item right there.)
• Ninety plus percent of students have had it demonstrated to them that they need NOT learn math REGARDLESS OF THE TEACHERS' QUALITY because they will pass to the next grade socially. ** subtract one of my incentives for them to pay attention **.
• Instead we get to enjoy way too many smirking punks who regularly spit at teachers, insult them, attack them, kick a pregnant teacher in the abdomen, steal your Mac in a New York minute, etc. *** thank you attorneys out in the land for intimidating teachers and ruining them if they hand Jr. the swift kick in the ass he needs to start him acting like a man instead of a worm***.
If Jobs thinks that Principals are a higher form of life with more morals than teachers have, he really needs to get back in a real classroom ASAP. The ceo/Principal he wants to hand so much power to is likely a classroom escapee who WAS the lousy teacher he refers to. Many will tell you themselves that they could not teach and could not stand the kids and so went for an admin credential. I have a very nice Principal now. But before him we had one who almost emptied the school of all the best teachers by acting like a little bullying idiot who imagined she was talking to 16 year-old stock clerks at K-mart. The less you know about real kids and what will solve the schools' problems, the higher you climb in the power structure.
• A whole industry of charlatans with cult-like methods of implementing their BS instructional programs : "teachers of teachers teaching teachers to teach" have infested the nation's schools... more classroom escapees... more horseshit ! just parasites.
• We have parents who, mostly due to greedy, criminal, cigar-sucking CEO's can't earn enough, with two jobs each , to pay the bills and free time to rear the kids well : these kids learn to admire thugs ( I mean music industry marketers of thug images, arrogance, misogyny, violence, and other rat behavior ).
Very often a parent can't come to the phone because she sleeps 4 hours per night and Jr. is keeping the baby quiet in the next room with the TV set --- no homework.
*** take away the need for a parental conference --- why bother***
• We have too many parents who only show up to their brat's school when they smell a law suit opportunity or to complain about a teacher whom they have never met and for whom they never returned a phone call. I've had many parents show up the last 20 minutes of the school year demanding to know why Princess is failing and can't go on stage for the foto-op that seems to trump learning throughout the previous 8 years. Many of these harbor little hatreds from back when they themselves were assholes in the classroom they disrupted non-stop. They sit around the living room chugging a cool one and bragging to their kids of how they used to piss off their teachers. Then they top that with a perfunctory admonition to "not do as I did -- do as I say" ---- more horseshit !
Hey Steve'o, you know what happens with the few kids who do a reasonable amount of homework, are reasonably convivial in the classroom, and pay attention to the teacher ???
You really want to know ? Well, they are classified as "honors students" in Honors Math.
And they perform just fine in the CST, STAR etc. tests. It is a joy to keep company with them, even if they have a few misbehavior incidents that I consider part of the job ( not the grinning thugs in the "regular" classes or the totally un-schooled arrivals from below the Frontera who, through no fault of their own, can hardly count past 90 and are expected , in one year, to use an Algebra text written in English and edited by pleistocene moronodons.) It is heart-breaking to see these kind-hearted, generous, respectful country kids begin to put on the punk over the next three years.
You know what Steve Jobs? .... You and the rest of the "village it takes to educate a child" ... the village that is almost entirely hiding in the bushes all year long..... all of you can kiss my teacher ass and start teaching your own kids : that is if you know anything to teach and know how to teach it and can manage to cut the "quality time" crap long enough to spend some QUANTITY time breaking your brats' deformed attitudes and resetting the fracture properly.
BTW, we could use some geniuses as teachers.
Jump in, the water is fine. Do five years with a full workload and no millionaire priviliges, assistants, fart catchers, etc. Do it in L.A.
Be subject to admin mandates, time wasters, idiocy, fetters, threats, arrogance, injustice, etc.
Schools don't need to emulate corporations.
Schools don't need to emulate hospitals.
Schoold don't need to emulate armies.
Schools don't need to emulate computer companies.
Schools aren't any of these things.
So tuck you ego back in your trousers and respect your teachers.
Schools have their own culture, professionals,
skills, and techniques suitable to their own unique situations. Schools have their own language ( student, book, lesson, teacher, mom, dad, kid, screwing up, sassing, spitball, test, passing, failing, drinking water, etc.) We don't need student contracts, media, behavioral issues, projectiles, hydration, facilitators, etc. ad-nauseam.
And we don't need teachers-of-teachers-teaching-teachers-to-teach ..... put these back in with the kids : let them "model the behavior" for us.
And we sure as hell don't need ceo's pretending to be teachers.
If the average CPU chip behaved like the average school kid, Mr. Jobs would assemble fewer than eight iMacs per year and he would quit before the first batch graduated.
Hey VILLAGE PEOPLE ... if you won't help us, then just go to hell.
*** Are there any questions so far ? ***
: * ] AAAAaaaRRRrrrFFFFff !!!
: * ] AAAAaaaRRRrrrFFFFff !!!