or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › How do I convert .swf to .avi/.mpg???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I convert .swf to .avi/.mpg???  

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Hi There,

I wonder if anybody knows how to convert flash files (swf/fla) to one of the standard files for video as in .avi, .mpeg or even .mov.
I have exported via Flash 8, but the probrlem is: It doesn't keep the vectors function. so I have only a video with all flat images and no movement at all. It's just the program creating a bunch of jpeg and joining them all to create a movie effect... Not really good, IMHO!!!
So, if there is anything out there for Mac, please let me know... and if it's a freeware... hey.. it's a plus, isn't it?

Well, if anyone can shed some light, that would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks all
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
post #2 of 29
If you have the FLA file, publish as a quicktime movie. If not, recompile, touch up and THEN publish.

Works for me

-tj
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomozj View Post

If you have the FLA file, publish as a quicktime movie. If not, recompile, touch up and THEN publish.

Works for me

-tj

Hi Tomozj,

Thanks for your help...
I actually publish as a quicktime movie, but it discards all the vectorial movements I add to the project...
The solution I found now, was through a program called iShowU, and it records everything on the screen and saves as a video file...
I really was hoping there was an easy/free way of converting it...
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
post #4 of 29
Yes. Using Perian (google, a bunch of quicktime components) you can open FLV files in quicktime. So you could use quicktime to convert, and perian is free so this is a free solution.

But if what you've got is good enough then cool.

-tj
post #5 of 29
Have you tried iSquint? I don't know if it takes .swf or .fla; but if you can export to .flv, iSquint does the rest.
post #6 of 29
Ah yes, I use iSquint. VisualHub would probably be a better solution, because iSquint was created for iPods, and VisualHub for general converting.

All of these converter apps usually use the quicktime engine, so as like as QT works with a file, everything else does

-tj
post #7 of 29
iSquint does have some advanced settings; but now that you've mentioned it, I have looked at VisualHub, and it seems to be really great. It's not free, but it might suit the OP's needs. Granted it is compatible with his export format, of course.

And I have to disagree with you on the converter engine. iSquint uses ffmpeg; or at least that's what's hogging my CPU when iSquint is at work.

To OP: You could also have a look at ffmpegX.
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

Thanks a bunch for you help... I will try every possible way you guys mentioned here... I tried ffmpegX already, but it does not recognise the swf/fla/flv formats...
I will let you know the outcome of my neverending quest!!! :-)

Cheers!!!
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulhunter View Post

Hi all,

Thanks a bunch for you help... I will try every possible way you guys mentioned here... I tried ffmpegX already, but it does not recognise the swf/fla/flv formats...
I will let you know the outcome of my neverending quest!!! :-)

Cheers!!!

I don't know about SWF or FLA, but ffmpegX support FLV. You should be able to convert a FLV video into a .avi/DivX or .avi/XviD video. The ffmpeg libraries have supported .flv files for a bit. It's even found it's way into the latest version of VLC.
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr3 View Post

I don't know about SWF or FLA, but ffmpegX support FLV. You should be able to convert a FLV video into a .avi/DivX or .avi/XviD video. The ffmpeg libraries have supported .flv files for a bit. It's even found it's way into the latest version of VLC.

mmm interesting!!! I will give it a shot... I might be wrong, but I guess I couldn't svae the file in .flv...
I don't have my mac close to me at the time... (I am at work )... Will try this as soon as I get home..
Thanks!!!
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
post #11 of 29
There's one tool, but it's for Windows:
http://www.pizzinini.net/projects/swf2avi/

This will convert your swf, and will respect animations in movieclip timelines as well. It does a sort of realtime capture. It works very well (I used it for DJ animations) but I recommend setting your Flash file to 1 FPS and the capture speed to 1 FPS as well, because it is CPU intensive.
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

There's one tool, but it's for Windows:
http://www.pizzinini.net/projects/swf2avi/

This will convert your swf, and will respect animations in movieclip timelines as well. It does a sort of realtime capture. It works very well (I used it for DJ animations) but I recommend setting your Flash file to 1 FPS and the capture speed to 1 FPS as well, because it is CPU intensive.


Hi, Thanks a lot for your help... I am afraid I am a Mac fan... ;-)
So Windowze is a no-no for me!!! I s'pose I could install it to run this application... but I still prefer to struggle a bit more to find out how to do it on a mac...8) 8) 8)
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
post #13 of 29
Hi, soulhunter.
Excuse I know some converters only for windows . Probably you can try to search in a Google for mac.

Good luck in decision your problems!!!
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumzz View Post

Hi, soulhunter.
Excuse I know some converters only for windows . Probably you can try to search in a Google for mac.

Good luck in decision your problems!!!


Well.. thanks a lot for all the support..
I ended up getting a screen capture called iShowU.. and it's working like a charm... great quality...
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
post #15 of 29
Try MPEG Streamclip. I use it for importing .flv video downloaded from YouTube for conversion to .mp4 for iPod. It is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squared 5

"MPEG Streamclip is a powerful video converter, player, editor for Mac and Windows. It can play many movie files, not only MPEGs; it can convert MPEG files between muxed/demuxed formats for authoring; it can encode movies to many formats, including iPod; it can cut, trim and join movies.
MPEG Streamclip can also download videos from YouTube and Google by entering the page URL.

MPEG Streamclip is a converter for QuickTime files, MPEG-1/2/4 files and transport streams (.ts and .m2t). It provides high-quality conversion of movies and MPEGs into several useful formats. It is compatible with most editing applications and DVD authoring tools. More details are available in the download pages.

Supported input formats

MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO, DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV, REC, VID, AUD, AVR, VDR, PVR, TP0, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3..."
post #16 of 29
I'm trying to convert swf as well. I'm an educator looking to adapt some small Flash files from the web to my lectures.

Using iShowU promises to be a very useful tool with more applications than just my current conversion dilemma.
Thanks to all for the questions and solution recommendations!

This forum always has good dialogue.
post #17 of 29
Thread Starter 
Hi All...
Thanks, thanks, thanks... alot for all your help... As I mentioned before, iShowU is doing the job well...
That is so weird that no one ever thought about making a freeware application for this. If only I could program... perhaps I should give it a shot!!!
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrlove View Post

I'm trying to convert swf as well. I'm an educator looking to adapt some small Flash files from the web to my lectures.

Using iShowU promises to be a very useful tool with more applications than just my current conversion dilemma.
Thanks to all for the questions and solution recommendations!

This forum always has good dialogue.

Hi jdrlove,

If you are using firefox, you can visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390 and download this little extension that allows you to save the videos to your hard drive... and then you can use it for whatever... hope this helps.
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
***Whoever said happiness cannot be bought, was either poor or was in the wrong shop!***
post #19 of 29
Thanks mucho soulhunter! I'm on Safari but more and more i'm seeing greater advantages to firefox...the add-ons etc...are just too useful and numerous.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulhunter View Post

Hi There,

I wonder if anybody knows how to convert flash files (swf/fla) to one of the standard files for video as in .avi, .mpeg or even .mov.
I have exported via Flash 8, but the probrlem is: It doesn't keep the vectors function. so I have only a video with all flat images and no movement at all. It's just the program creating a bunch of jpeg and joining them all to create a movie effect... Not really good, IMHO!!!
So, if there is anything out there for Mac, please let me know... and if it's a freeware... hey.. it's a plus, isn't it?

Well, if anyone can shed some light, that would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks all

Goodmoning I prefer to use Macvide FlashVideo Converter.It`s convert any Adobe (Macromedia) Flash (*.swf, *.flv files) to video movie mp4 (iPod Video), MOV, 3GP, ASF/WMV, mpeg files.
I like this program, I hope I helped you
post #21 of 29
I decided to test one program...it's Macvide FlashVideo Converter
You know, it's very nice and now I use it always when I need to create my own video with friends)))
post #22 of 29
Sheesh, what is it about converting video that draws the spammers like flies?
post #23 of 29
What did you mean?
I am not a spammer, I'm real user of this program, whos says own opinion.
This theme is actual for many people and me, because I download many various movies and films from internet and watch them on my PSP and I forced to use the converter very often.
I wished to help some people, which don't have experience in it and recommend this prog, because i tested it and it arranges me in all
And to useful it for you or not - your choice
post #24 of 29
I need to convert SWF to a movie format...
I have Jing for movie screen captures and it saves to SWF. I do not have Flash either.
I would like to publish these files to YouTube, but, well, YouTube can't handle SWF, and I'm not up for spending (I don't have a credit card).
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mother MIA View Post

Goodmoning I prefer to use Macvide FlashVideo Converter.It`s convert any Adobe (Macromedia) Flash (*.swf, *.flv files) to video movie mp4 (iPod Video), MOV, 3GP, ASF/WMV, mpeg files.
I like this program, I hope I helped you

Hi! I must say this programm can be used for different purpose: create new videos or convert your favourite flash movies. And the same you can do with games (convert to your mobile devices).
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism10 View Post

I need to convert SWF to a movie format...
I have Jing for movie screen captures and it saves to SWF. I do not have Flash either.
I would like to publish these files to YouTube, but, well, YouTube can't handle SWF, and I'm not up for spending (I don't have a credit card).

I've encountered this same problem, using JING to capture my screen but failing to publish the SWF files on youtube. adobe media encoder didn't take the SWF files, MacVide Flash Video converter failed as well. you ever find a solution to convert ur SWF?
post #27 of 29
I'm sorry for writing in this rather old thread, but I've found it while googling. I had the same question as the thread starter. Thanks to everyone for the links to various converters. I've tried several of them. I had some troubles using iShowU - the output files doesn't have sound! As for Moyea converter, it reduces the quality of the original video too much, I know, that there's always a loss in quality when converting video into flash, but in this case it was too significang. Macvide FlashVideo works fine, has different options of output that can be set by the user, so this converter I liked most of all. The only drawback - it's not free
post #28 of 29
I suspect you need Mac SWF Converter for that, if at all possible... you can go to google.com to search for get it
post #29 of 29
Spammers are just going to keep bumping this thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
This thread is locked  
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › How do I convert .swf to .avi/.mpg???