or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars

Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars

post #1 of 113
Apple Inc. will use Sunday's Academy Awards show to air its first television advertisement for the iPhone, according to Macworld.

The spot is described as a "teaser advertisement" that was created specifically for the awards show. However, no further details were reported.

The Academy Awards, popularly known as the Oscars, is the most prominent and most watched film awards ceremony in the world, drawing 38.59 million viewers from 26.57 million households in 2006.

The 79th Academy Awards telecast will air on ABC this Sunday at 8 p.m. Eastern.
post #2 of 113
In which of the four and a half hours of the Oscar telecast should we be expecting this commercial?
yeah, I'm on Google Talk! dimplemonkey@gmail.com
post #3 of 113
Dont worry. We will get a link here in the next 24 hours.

If Apple is truly starting to promote a product that won't be out for another 3 months, it shows that they plan on selling millions right off the bat.
post #4 of 113
I guess I just don't understand advertising. It seems more logical to me to advertise AppleTV, which will be shipping later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Insider

The Academy Awards, popularly known as the Oscars

Finally a article that mentions that the award show is actually called the Academy Awards. My faith in AI is restored.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimplemonkey View Post

In which of the four and a half hours of the Oscar telecast should we be expecting this commercial?

before the same usual gaggle of miscreant's begin to spew their tripe of political statements and the Oscars loose close to half their audience!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #6 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

before the same usual gaggle of miscreant's begin to spew their tripe of political statements and the Oscars loose close to half their audience!

are we somehow referring to the dixie chicks?
or just political madness in general
(are the chicks nominated for something?)
post #7 of 113
It seems a little pointless to me to show just a teaser when Steve spent 2 hours going over all the features at Macworld.
post #8 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It seems a little pointless to me to show just a teaser when Steve spent 2 hours going over all the features at Macworld.

For us, yes; but most people didn't watch the keynote or check out its features on apple.com/iphone.

It still makes more sense to me to advertise the AppleTV at the Academy Awards.
post #9 of 113
Popularly known as the Oscars?

Thanks, I had no idea what you were talking about.
post #10 of 113
Apple TV is surely more connected to the movie industry, agreed. But a commercial of the iPhone is gonna be more powerful. It's cool, groundbreaking and easy to present. The Apple TV is not, it's just convenient.
post #11 of 113
i wonder if its the same comercial they played at the super bowl
post #12 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Yeah because the people who watch the Oscars are the same audience who've viewed the Keynote. Apple needs to sell a whole load of iPhones to non-MacZealots.
post #13 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Yeah because the people who watch the Oscars are the same audience who've viewed the Keynote. Apple needs to sell a whole load of iPhones to non-MacZealots.

I agree with bdkennedy. Most people heard about the iPhone after Jobs' keynote, whether they watched the actual keynote or not, due to press coverage. And I don't get advertising it so long before people can buy it. But I guess if you've got 10 billion in cash to burn, who cares?
post #14 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

are we somehow referring to the dixie chicks?
or just political madness in general
(are the chicks nominated for something?)

If you are there to receive an award and your name is called out, receive it, give thanks and move on... but to state any views other that that, is what turns some people off. Fortunately, those at home watching on their tv's are NOT a captive audience and simply can turn the channel.

But I mean, you wouldn't want Steve Ballmer or Bill Gates to introduce the Universal version of MS Office for the Mac at MacWorld and then go on to tout Window's "Vista" as the best OS to date. You'd have a riot at the Moscone Center...

You wouldn't tout the benefits of an aggrarian economic lifestyle that can only prosper with the use of slaves at a NAACP convention...

You wouldn't sell Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kemp" at a Holocaust Museum bookstore...

I mean, there just are some things, if you had any sense, you just wouldn't do. It's not, I hate to say it, PC!

I mean, you wouldn't vote a highly qualified new commander who wrote the book on insurgencies to head the forces in Iraq and then tell him his plan sucks and the troop increase this new commander requested is meeting with every road block politically possible, but the politicians wish him all the best in his new assignment and er, oh wait, the newly elected democratic party majority, did just that. Scratch that AND "Here's your sign!"

post #15 of 113
Well, what did everyone think?
post #16 of 113
Wow I can see this information sponsered by the Oscars to get the geek group watching the Oscars
post #17 of 113
The ad just aired about 2 seconds ago

"hello"

what do you guys think?

new style
post #18 of 113
I just saw it!!!!!!

Pretty pathetic.
www.myspace.com/windowchicken <---i think they are finny =p.
www.myspace.com/windowchicken <---i think they are finny =p.
post #19 of 113
Hello
post #20 of 113
"hi im an iphone"
"and im a sony ericsson"
gravity sucks.
gravity sucks.
post #21 of 113
Just saw the ad. Basically clips from several movies of people saying "hello" on their telephone. Then says "Hello" shows the iphone then says "coming in June". Definitely an ad that will only be shown during the Awards.
post #22 of 113
Didnt like it...
post #23 of 113
Aw, I thought it was good.
So many classic films. Simple, yet very Apple.
post #24 of 113
that was a cool ad.
Panda Panda
Panda Panda
post #25 of 113
It's a bummer that it will only be shown at the Oscars because it is pretty catchy.
post #26 of 113
It should be on Youtube in about 20 minutes.
Panda Panda
Panda Panda
post #27 of 113
Eh. Would have like to have seen more phone.
post #28 of 113
I liked it!
post #29 of 113
Some people may not know what the iPhone is or what it does
post #30 of 113
Anyone else notice Jobs in the beginning of the show? He took a call, came back on.

Was that the iPhone? Looked a little clunky to me.

Thanks, DVR, for allowing me to preserve the anticipated ad.

And, PLEASE don;t let the quick flash in the intro to the show to be the roumered ad. I will be greatly disappointed.

If the rumor IS just a marketing campaign, it worked - I am watching, and never would otherwise.

____late edit____

Just read up - apparently, everyone but me has seen the ad now. Now I hate DVR.
post #31 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

Some people may not know what the iPhone is or what it does

lol... i have a feeling that the people that are stupid enough to not know what an iPhone is are the same people that rushed out to upgrade to vista
post #32 of 113
Sitting here watching the Oscars in HD.

It was the 2nd commercial in the first break.

The most brilliant thing was every commercial so far has been in SD.

Apple runs the iPhone ad in full HD - go Apple!!!
Best,
-mullman

[CENTER] addict since 1989
unibody MBP 2.53|dualcore PMG5|Cinemas|iPhone|iMac G5s & G4s|TV
FinalCutJunkie|Nikon|Leica|Sony HDV/AVCHD[/CENTER]
Best,
-mullman

post #33 of 113
hello?
post #34 of 113
Ayone of you people who DVRed it willing to upload it to YouTube?
post #35 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can get it out of my HD-DVR in SD but not HD.
Sony limits input into their HDV camcorders.

Either way I'll work on it...
Best,
-mullman

Best,
-mullman

post #36 of 113
meh...it was movie themed but hardly showed anything about the iPhone. Was it meant to be a teaser or just to start getting the name out into the open?
post #37 of 113
Quote:

By the time someone does, it won't show up until tomorrow anyway. They'll be a better version available from Apple soon enough.
post #38 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post

I can get it out of my HD-DVR in SD but not HD.
Sony limits input into their HDV camcorders.

Either way I'll work on it...

If you upload it to YouTube or Google Video you'll lose any decent quality anyway. I think we'd all be much obliged if you can do it. If you don't have an account with these services or a website to use you can always send it to me and I'll upload it for you.
post #39 of 113
yeah, ill take shitty quality over nothing any day. Apple usually has everything on their site anyways.
post #40 of 113
Quote:

If you upload it to YouTube or Google Video you'll lose any decent quality anyway. I think we'd all be much obliged if you can do it. If you don't have an account with these services or a website to use you can always send it to me and I'll upload it for you.

You did see the various links at http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/25/...during-oscars/ , right?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars