or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars

Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars - Page 2

post #41 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

You did see the various links at http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/25/...during-oscars/ , right?

Thanks, Chucker, that is all I wanted.

HERE is the ad on Google Video.

Now we wait for some super-Apple-(slash)-movie-fanboy to list every actor and movie from the commercial.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 113
Ummm, I did not care for it. :Hello" IMHO was a bit lame, did not show anything about its capabilities.
post #43 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Ummm, I did not care for it. :Hello" IMHO was a bit lame, did not show anything about its capabilities.

pretty sure you know what it does already. This was about exposure to the general public. Prolly not for posters on Apple Insider.
post #44 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

You did see the various links at http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/25/...during-oscars/ , right?

Followed this link to various versions of the commercial. I believe it was the #5, the HD version, I checked out cuz it was nice, clear and big. I see at the end when they show the iPhone that the carrier designation next to the signal strength bar now reads at&t (the old Cingular)

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #45 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I mean, you wouldn't vote a highly qualified new commander who wrote the book on insurgencies to head the forces in Iraq and then tell him his plan sucks and the troop increase this new commander requested is meeting with every road block politically possible, but the politicians wish him all the best in his new assignment and er, oh wait, the newly elected democratic party majority, did just that. Scratch that AND "Here's your sign!"

You would if his Commander-in-Chief and the former ruling party screwed up the last 4 years so badly that 70% of the democracy felt the need to make their views known through their elected officials.

Ooops, I guess only some folks expressing political views are miscreants. BTW, most ex-military (like Generals Zinni, Clarke and the hundereds who protested the Rumsfeld strategy) and those who I know admit honestly that the soldiers in Iraq are not babies, they do their job and are fine with the fact that politicians do theirs even if they debate the way the war is being run. The new commander will get everything he needs to prove his plan, just not a blank check.

... and now for best supporting actor ... oh, man I missed the ad while typing this mini rant.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #46 of 113
i think this made a great teaser commercial. expect a better commercial in june.
post #47 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Followed this link to various versions of the commercial. I believe it was the #5, the HD version, I checked out cuz it was nice, clear and big. I see at the end when they show the iPhone that the carrier designation next to the signal strength bar now reads at&t

yeah, Cingular was acquired by AT&T a while ago.
post #48 of 113
They just aired it again.
post #49 of 113
I think it was great! Why, because it DIDN'T detail any of it's features. It did what the the iconographic "hi!" did for the original Mac. Of course they probably couldn't actually show the word "hello" on the screen of the iPhone because that wouldn't have been a true representation of the graphic capabilities of the device, but i bet that was the metaphor.

Feature sets will come later ... this is 1984 all over again ... at least to Steve.
post #50 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They just aired it again.

Pathetic ad..... not up to Apple's usual standards.

(In fact, here I was, wondering where the ad was, went over to Ai to see if there is a link, and it came on just as I started to type!)
post #51 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

yeah, Cingular was acquired by AT&T a while ago.

As I recall, Cingular acquired AT&T wireless and then chaged its name to AT&T. It was the Monday after the iPhone's annoncement that the name "officially" changed to AT&T.
post #52 of 113
Just saw it, great ad. These kinds of simple commercials are so much more effective than other phone makers ads. I mean the business world knows what it can do...they know what the Blackjack and Q does. They know the feature list, and everyone else doesn't care. So how is the blackjack marketing to the people that want a cool phone? They aren't.

Apple on the other hand, seems to know the business world will know what their phone can do, and they market to the larger group of people...the family who wants a nice looking, working, lasting phone. That is innovative enough that they can tell Mr. and Mrs. Smith across the road that they have this new amazing piece of technology.
post #53 of 113
Such a great Ad. So smart.
post #54 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Pathetic ad..... not up to Apple's usual standards.

It was spot on for it's intended purpose and audience: a teaser ad during the Academy Awards.
post #55 of 113
Quote:

As I recall, Cingular acquired AT&T wireless and then chaged its name to AT&T. It was the Monday after the iPhone's annoncement that the name "officially" changed to AT&T.

o ok, it was kinda confusing to me. Thanks for clearing it up.
post #56 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Feature sets will come later ... this is 1984 all over again ... at least to Steve.

THAT captures the essence of the two major problems with the iPhone..... a little too much "later" and a little too much "Steve."

I am already tired of this product. Unless the June intro is a major step forward from what was promised in Jan, I am waiting for the next gen (my guess, pre-Christmas).
post #57 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

Just saw it, great ad. These kinds of simple commercials are so much more effective .......

Simple? Effective? An ad that strings together a bunch of cliche Hollywood actors, pandering to a night of/for Hollywood actors?

Nah.... it screams to the average consumer, "you're not worthy of this product."
post #58 of 113
yeah, I'm on Google Talk! dimplemonkey@gmail.com
post #59 of 113
Quote:

I am already tired of this product. Unless the June intro is a major step forward from what was promised in Jan, I am waiting for the next gen (my guess, pre-Christmas).

WOW, you're hard to please!
I mean, since SJ announced it, only two commercials have aired and only about 20 reviewers have even been able to touch it. Everyone says its not simply the features that make it outstanding, but how it all works.
How can you possibly "Meh" it already.

I can't see myself running out to drop $600 when it (finally) arrives, but I'm keeping an open mind to be impressed...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #60 of 113
I popped it up on my .Mac site if anyone missed the commercial in widescreen: Click here
post #61 of 113
Quote:

Simple? Effective? An ad that strings together a bunch of cliche Hollywood actors, pandering to a night of/for Hollywood actors?

Nah.... it screams to the average consumer, "you're not worthy of this product."

I hate to be contrarian, but I don't see that either.
This is an add that will be seen mostly by movie buffs based on the venue. If they are like me, they will have an emotional connection to many of those clips. After the first 10, I was totally hooked and excited to see which actors/movies would show up next. By the time the iPhone showed up, it was the perfect TA DA! My positive emotional attachments to those movies were immediately tied into that phone. Meanwhile, it was all strung together with the simple greating "hello" or some variant.

It gave me a welcoming vibe.
Im not sure what issues you must have to come away thinking "I'm not worthy"
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I hate to be contrarian, but I don't see that either.
This is an add that will be seen mostly by movie buffs based on the venue. If they are like me, they will have an emotional connection to many of those clips. After the first 10, I was totally hooked and excited to see which actors/movies would show up next. By the time the iPhone showed up, it was the perfect TA DA! My positive emotional attachments to those movies were immediately tied into that phone. Meanwhile, it was all strung together with the simple greating "hello" or some variant.

It gave me a welcoming vibe.
Im not sure what issues you must have to come away thinking "I'm not worthy"

"Issues?" Oh, I have none..... indeed, not even any "positive emotional attachments" or "emotional connections" to inanimate objects!
post #63 of 113
Thanks Cake. Your version was super !

Did like the ad.

Henry Ledgard
post #64 of 113
For those of us living outside the US, thanks for the posting of the vid...

I think the ad was a perfect teaser; short, simple, using lots of familiar characters in quick sucession to catch the people trying to dash off for a quick cup of coffee and then showing them the product and giving a date. Anybody, no matter how strong the call of nature to visit the littel room down the hall, would have watched through to the end of the ad, which is just what they wanted.

No need to bore anybody with specs or anything else; people's minds are already 1000% focused on the OScars, and any specs would not be retained in memory. The trick is to get people's interest up, then give 'em more later.

Bet Apple's site gets an increase in hits tonight.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #65 of 113
Quote:

Now we wait for some super-Apple-(slash)-movie-fanboy to list every actor and movie from the commercial.

Thanks peoples, I watching video now. Heh. Not bad, not bad at all. Looks like Apple IMHO "gets" the iPod and iPhone advertising. They're just jinxed with the Mac advertising .

Nice ad though ...Of the top of my head - Big Lebowski, Incredibles, BackToTheFuture.... LucilleBall....
Good one for the movie buffs.
post #66 of 113
Quote:

"Issues?" Oh, I have none..... indeed, not even any "positive emotional attachments" or "emotional connections" to inanimate objects!

Awww, h3ll, didn't mean to imply that I didn't have issues!

I'm a computer nerd, a movie freak and even a commercial geek. I love 'em all (when done well)! This commercial was hitting on all three of these things.

I didnt mean to get personal back there. (Its not like you were harshing on my Dixie Chicks...)

(Rot'nApple--I'm just kidding there. Don't really have time for another fight...)
--e.e.c.
--e.e.c.
post #67 of 113
Quote:

I'm working on it:

Lucile Ball
Jackie Gleason
Humphrey Bogart
???????????
Jerry Lewis
Marilyn Monroe
Clark Gable
Peter Sellers
???????????
Richard Dreyfuss
Burt Reynolds
Betty Rubble
Robert Redford
Michael J. Fox
Harrison Ford
???????????
Audrey Tautou
Kevin Spacey
William H. Macy
Dustin Hoffman
Will Farrell
Sara Jessica Parker
Jeff Bridges
Billy Crystal
Cameron Diaz
Samuel Jackson
John Travolta
Robert Di Niro
Ben Stiller
Michael Douglas
Bob Incredible
John Appleseed
post #68 of 113
Just wondering: are all of the movies used in the ad available on iTMS?

Sorry if this has been covered...

post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongold View Post

I'm working on it:

Lucile Ball
Jackie Gleason
Humphrey Bogart
???????????
Jerry Lewis
Marilyn Monroe
Clark Gable
Peter Sellers
???????????
Richard Dreyfuss
Burt Reynolds
Betty Rubble
Robert Redford
Michael J. Fox
Harrison Ford
???????????
Audrey Tautou
Kevin Spacey
William H. Macy
Dustin Hoffman
Will Farrell
Sara Jessica Parker
Jeff Bridges
Billy Crystal
Cameron Diaz
Samuel Jackson
John Travolta
Robert Di Niro
Ben Stiller
Michael Douglas
Bob Incredible
John Appleseed

The people are easy - name the TV shows and films.
BTW, Marlon Brando, Steve McQueen and John Cusack
post #70 of 113
Thanks.

Lucile Ball
Jackie Gleason
Humphrey Bogart
Marlon Brando
Jerry Lewis
Marilyn Monroe
Clark Gable
Peter Sellers
Steve McQueen
Richard Dreyfuss
Burt Reynolds
Betty Rubble
Robert Redford
Michael J. Fox
Harrison Ford
John Cusack
Audrey Tautou
Kevin Spacey
William H. Macy
Dustin Hoffman
Will Farrell
Sara Jessica Parker
Jeff Bridges
Billy Crystal
Cameron Diaz
Samuel Jackson
John Travolta
Robert Di Niro
Ben Stiller
Michael Douglas
Bob Incredible
John Appleseed
post #71 of 113
The main point of their ad was to give it some "Hollywood relevance" (and if ever there was an oxymoron, I think I just invented it) for the Academy Awards... that is all (in best Radar O'Reilly impression).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #72 of 113
I liked the ad.

I love that the call is from "John Appleseed"

Spread those seeds, Johnny
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #73 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongold View Post

Thanks.

Lucile Ball
Jackie Gleason
Humphrey Bogart
Marlon Brando
Jerry Lewis
Marilyn Monroe
Clark Gable
Peter Sellers
Steve McQueen
Richard Dreyfuss
Burt Reynolds
Betty Rubble
Robert Redford
Michael J. Fox
Harrison Ford
John Cusack
Audrey Tautou
Kevin Spacey
William H. Macy
Dustin Hoffman
Will Farrell
Sara Jessica Parker
Jeff Bridges
Billy Crystal
Cameron Diaz
Samuel Jackson
John Travolta
Robert Di Niro
Ben Stiller
Michael Douglas
Bob Incredible
John Appleseed

You mean Colin Farrell, not Will Ferrell.
post #74 of 113
Its on Apples website now

I thought it was good, themed towards film and the old way of making a phonecall, shows it as being something that is a part of human life

http://www.apple.com/iphone/hello/
post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

You mean Colin Farrell, not Will Ferrell.

No, I'm pretty sure it's Will Ferrel, from Anchor Man.

Here is what I have seen. The rest I don't think I can identify. Anyone else??

Lucile Ball
I Love Lucy

Jackie Gleason
The Honeymooners

Humphrey Bogart
Key Largo

Marlon Brando

Jerry Lewis
The Bellboy

Marilyn Monroe
Some Like It Hot

Clark Gable
It Happened One Night

Peter Sellers
The Pink Panther

Steve McQueen

Richard Dreyfuss
American Graffiti

Burt Reynolds
Boogie Nights

Betty Rubble
The Flintstones

Robert Redford

Michael J. Fox
Back to the Future!
Harrison Ford
The Fugitive

John Cusack
High Fidelity?? Seen it like 5 times but just not sure.

Audrey Tautou
Amélie

Kevin Spacey

William H. Macy
Fargo

Dustin Hoffman

Will Farrell
Anchor Man

Sara Jessica Parker
Sex In the City ???

Jeff Bridges
The Big Lebowski

Billy Crystal
When Harry Met Sally

Cameron Diaz

Samuel Jackson
Jackie Brown

John Travolta

Robert Di Niro

Ben Stiller
Zoolander

Michael Douglas

Bob Incredible
The Incredibles

John Appleseed
MacWorld Keynote
post #76 of 113
You missed the phone at the beginning - just a guess, but I think it's Dial M for Murder.
post #77 of 113
I thought it was really good, it wasn't technical at all, so it could reach a broader, albeit more oblivious, audience. I thought it felt sort of reminiscent of the past, and then brought it all to the near future.
All I have to say is "Wow"! lol

Quote:

I thought Cingular acquired AT&T Wireless, and then sometime last year, AT&T bought SBC, so Cingular became part of AT&T.
post #78 of 113
The initial phone that is seen, I believe is from "Dial 'M' for Murder"

Lucile Ball
I Love Lucy

Jackie Gleason
The Honeymooners

Humphrey Bogart
Key Largo

Marlon Brando
Streetcar Named 'Desire'

Jerry Lewis
The Bellboy

Marilyn Monroe
Some Like It Hot

Clark Gable
It Happened One Night

Peter Sellers
The Pink Panther

Steve McQueen

Richard Dreyfuss
American Graffiti

Burt Reynolds
Boogie Nights

Betty Rubble
The Flintstones

Robert Redford
All the President's Men

Michael J. Fox
Back to the Future!

Harrison Ford
The Fugitive

John Cusack
High Fidelity

Audrey Tautou
Amélie

Kevin Spacey
A Time to Kill (?)

William H. Macy
Fargo

Dustin Hoffman
Meet the Fokers (?)

Will Farrell
Anchor Man

Sara Jessica Parker
Honeymoon in Vegas (?)

Jeff Bridges
The Big Lebowski

Billy Crystal
When Harry Met Sally

Cameron Diaz
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

Samuel Jackson
Jackie Brown

John Travolta
Face Off (?)

Robert Di Niro
(Anybody's Guess!)

Ben Stiller
Zoolander

Michael Douglas
The American President

Bob Incredible, aka Mr. Incredible
The Incredibles

John Appleseed
MacWorld Keynote
post #79 of 113
The tell that Sarah jessica Parker's clip is from Sex in the City is the PowerBook G3 on the bed.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
post #80 of 113
Anybody know the song in the background?

And who is this "John Appleseed" character?

Is it the trender way to say "John Doe"

edit found the song:

Inside Your Head by Eberg
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars