or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars - Page 3

post #81 of 113
Nice work at getting all of the clips (stars and roles)!!! And THAT is why it is a really good, not great ad, everyone who watches it and doesn't hang out at AppleNerd sites will be looking to identify a new person every time it airs.

Thus it will be successful.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
Reply
post #82 of 113
I don't think that scene is from SEX IN THE CITY, not only does SJP look younger, but she also has a different style, plus it looks like she is in a hotel room. Also the PowerBook is definitely not a G3 - it looks more like a PowerBook 145. -- EDIT: An additional viewing says I could be wrong. It does look like a bedroom too. The only other thing is that the cordless looks dated and older than 1999 (the year SEX premiered).

I believe the Spacey scene is a clip from GLENGARRY GLENROSS.
post #83 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrjl View Post

I don't think that scene is from SEX IN THE CITY, not only does SJP look younger, but she also has a different style, plus it looks like she is in a hotel room. Also the PowerBook is definitely not a G3 - it looks more like a PowerBook 145. -- EDIT: An additional viewing says I could be wrong. It does look like a bedroom too. The only other thing is that the cordless looks dated and older than 1999 (the year SEX premiered).

Watch season one.

Different powerbook, indeed in the first episode SJP has a clunky PC on her desk then she changes to a PB 1** series. Then The G3 later on. I suspect that footage is from Sex.
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
trevorM

- Apple Dual 1.85Ghz Power Mac G5, 2Gb, 80Gb, Superdrive, Bluetooth, Airport.
- Apple 30" Cinema HD
- Apple 800Mhz Powerbook G4, 512Mb, 40Gb, Combo drive, Airport
Reply
post #84 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorM View Post

Watch season one.

Different powerbook, indeed in the first episode SJP has a clunky PC on her desk then she changes to a PB 1** series. Then The G3 later on. I suspect that footage is from Sex.

Thanks. That is why I said I wasn't sure.
post #85 of 113
Nice Ad, and nice positioning in the Movie/media world.
- and a great front-page for apple.com


- pity it's not out until June though!


- and I hope they upgrade the camera before it comes out!
post #86 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

- and I hope they upgrade the camera before it comes out!

yeah, im real disappointed that i cant shoot raw with my CELL PHONE
post #87 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

yeah, im real disappointed that i cant shoot raw with my CELL PHONE

You mean:
"revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod with touch controls, and a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email, web browsing, maps, and searching"
post #88 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

You mean:
"revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod with touch controls, and a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email, web browsing, maps, and searching"

true. But at the end of the day for me its still a cell phone. I dont take alot of pictures on my phone so I dont care about the camera that much. How many mp's were you looking for?
post #89 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimplemonkey View Post

The initial phone that is seen, I believe is from "Dial 'M' for Murder"
Cameron Diaz
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

MacWorld Keynote

Hmmm, actually I think it is from the first Charlies Angel movie, in the tower, the call from the boyfriend.

Sorry .... so sad.
post #90 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimplemonkey View Post

The initial phone that is seen, I believe is from "Dial 'M' for Murder"
Samuel Jackson
Jackie Brown

Robert Di Niro
(Anybody's Guess!)

MacWorld Keynote

I also think the Samuel Jackson movie is Shaft.

Robert Di Niro movie could easily be Jackie Brown.
post #91 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG View Post

Robert Di Niro movie could easily be Jackie Brown.

I think it's one of those later "nicer guy" ones like the one with Billy Crystal and stuff.
Or Meet The Fockers??
post #92 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

true. But at the end of the day for me its still a cell phone. I dont take alot of pictures on my phone so I dont care about the camera that much. How many mp's were you looking for?

You're right, it probably doesn't make too much difference for the main type of usage this product is aimed at, but if I was Apple, which I'm not(!), I would slip in the latest spec 3.2MP or 5MP Camera module
- if only to keep up with the likes of Nokia, Sony, Samsung etc
- and to save having to defend a preceived weakness
\
post #93 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

You're right, it probably doesn't make too much difference for the main type of usage this product is aimed at, but if I was Apple, which I'm not(!), I would slip in the latest spec 3.2MP or 5MP Camera module
- if only to keep up with the likes of Nokia, Sony, Samsung etc
- and to save having to defend a preceived weakness
\

Defending a perceived weakness? Mac users have been doing that for over a decade. I say bring out the 2MP camera and let iPhone users "defend" it by saying stuff like "Oh but the pictures look more artistic..." or "Sure it's only 2MP but it doesn't have a buffer overflow flaw in it unlike the Nokias and WindowsMobile PDAPhones which get exploited and virus infected if you take a picture of a really bright light..." or" Yeah, but the CCD engine runs on OSX/ AltiVec..." or... Well, y'all get the picture (hah, picture, get it... w9ooooooooooooooooooo
post #94 of 113
The song in the background is REALLY annoying.
+ the whoosh-ding at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
post #95 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Defending a perceived weakness? Mac users have been doing that for over a decade. I say bring out the 2MP camera and let iPhone users "defend" it by saying stuff like "Oh but the pictures look more artistic..." or "Sure it's only 2MP but it doesn't have a buffer overflow flaw in it unlike the Nokias and WindowsMobile PDAPhones which get exploited and virus infected if you take a picture of a really bright light..." or" Yeah, but the CCD engine runs on OSX/ AltiVec..." or... Well, y'all get the picture (hah, picture, get it... w9ooooooooooooooooooo

True!

post #96 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

Anybody know the song in the background?

And who is this "John Appleseed" character?

Is it the trender way to say "John Doe"

edit found the song:

Inside Your Head by Eberg

Nope. Google Johnny Appleseed.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #97 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

yeah, im real disappointed that i cant shoot raw with my CELL PHONE

I won't buy one unless it comes with an excellent GPU. .....
post #98 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I won't buy one unless it comes with an excellent GPU. .....

Yeah, all those other phones can run UT2007 at like 5 billion frames per second.
WHY DOES APPLE HATE POWERFUL GPUS? WHY OH WHY?
post #99 of 113
It did't do it for me. I know they wanted to use famous actors and clips due to it being the award night, but it was annoying. I wonder did they just use the people without permission like they did in the "Here's to the crazy ones..." ad.
post #100 of 113
I thought I heard that there wouldn't be any carrier branding on the phone. But, fwiw, I believe the merger senerio is that Cingular aquired At&t wireless then SBC aquired At&t and decided to assume the At&t name becuase it had better public recognition and then later aquired Cingular.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #101 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I thought I heard that there wouldn't be any carrier branding on the phone.

No branding on the phone/hardware. On screen branding is a different story, as I understand it...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #102 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Simple? Effective? An ad that strings together a bunch of cliche Hollywood actors, pandering to a night of/for Hollywood actors?

Nah.... it screams to the average consumer, "you're not worthy of this product."

How do you figure it screams "you're not worthy of this product"? People watch movies to escape, and some watch them because they identify with the plot and the characters. Most people do not watch a movie and analyze the actors on the spot.

Think about it. The word "Hello" is one of the most common words of the English language. Next time you pick up the phone, tell me you will not be thinking of the ad...at least the first few times.

That's why I think they should replay the ad. It's catchy.

As soon as I saw Bob Incredible, I knew it had to be an Apple ad
post #103 of 113
I thought the ad was fantastic. So simple, smart and really got the proverbial juices flowing. Too many people complaining about the lack of iPhone details in the advert, but do Apple really need to spell those out yet? No they don't. They didn't even say it was a phone. We all know it's the iPhone, because we're that way inclined, but for the general populous, it kind of looks like an iPod. Then you're brain thinks.. hang on.. is that an iPod phone?!

I'm sure as times goes on we'll be graced with more teasers and when release day comes, we'll have ads with far more information about the iPhones features. Don't forget, it's not a phone, it's an iPod, a phone and an Internet communication device. We may even see teasers themed for each of the iPhones many faces.

Nice one Apple.
post #104 of 113
Quote:
And who is this "John Appleseed" character?

Johnny Appleseed, born John Chapman (September 26, 1774–March 18, 1847), was an American pioneer nurseryman, and missionary for the Church of the New Jerusalem, which is based on the theological writings of Emanuel Swedenborg.

He introduced the apple to large parts of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois by planting small nurseries. He became an American legend while still alive, portrayed in works of art and literature, largely because of his kind and generous ways, and his leadership in conservation.


wikipedia.com
post #105 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I thought the ad was fantastic. So simple, smart and really got the proverbial juices flowing. Too many people complaining about the lack of iPhone details in the advert, but do Apple really need to spell those out yet? No they don't. They didn't even say it was a phone. We all know it's the iPhone, because we're that way inclined, but for the general populous, it kind of looks like an iPod. Then you're brain thinks.. hang on.. is that an iPod phone?!

I'm sure as times goes on we'll be graced with more teasers and when release day comes, we'll have ads with far more information about the iPhones features. Don't forget, it's not a phone, it's an iPod, a phone and an Internet communication device. We may even see teasers themed for each of the iPhones many faces.

Nice one Apple.

Actually I think most of the general populous has heard of the iPhone already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox

Being an Apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.
Reply
post #106 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah, all those other phones can run UT2007 at like 5 billion frames per second.
WHY DOES APPLE HATE POWERFUL GPUS? WHY OH WHY?

I wont buy one unless it has a dedicated graphics card.
post #107 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorlsciact View Post

Actually I think most of the general populous has heard of the iPhone already.

What makes you say that? I had to tell most of my friends about it, some of them even being Mac users. Not everyone is interested in being the first to know about these things, the iPhone didn't even get much media coverage out side of the US with only a few specialist mags getting excited.

America is not the world, not the general populous!
post #108 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

As soon as I saw Bob Incredible, I knew it had to be an Apple ad

I agree 100%.

I didn't much care for the rest, that's all.
post #109 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

How do you figure it screams "you're not worthy of this product"? People watch movies to escape, and some watch them because they identify with the plot and the characters. Most people do not watch a movie and analyze the actors on the spot.

Think about it. The word "Hello" is one of the most common words of the English language. Next time you pick up the phone, tell me you will not be thinking of the ad...at least the first few times.

That's why I think they should replay the ad. It's catchy.

As soon as I saw Bob Incredible, I knew it had to be an Apple ad

Yeah, it was shown/known to those following the Oscars in general. Which is big in the US, and huge globally as well.
Movies are and have always been one of the USA's biggest exports, certainly a cultural export. Most people when they first visit the US they feel like they're in an "American movie". Like in SanFrancisco or NYC tourists seeing the steam rising from a manhole cover, and that instantly triggers, like ZOMG just like in the movies!! Also, you know, hanging out in say Venice beach and a few blocks away from the beach, some LAPD cars hurtling down a small lane. Then of course, those that work in California and other states that have very "liberal" hiring/firing policies, you get to see the "You're Fired!" or "I QUIT!" scenes of your co-worker, the very same day that happens, packing his stuff in a plain cardboard box. Daily life in the US, films being art imitating life, and so on, and a big cultural export around the world.

The best part of the ad? It can be targeted to various markets very easily. Cantonese --- "Wei??" ... Japanese --- "Konichiwa" (I presume) ... Mandarin --- "Ni Hao" ... Spanish --- "Que passsa amigo" (I presume... I really only know English).

I think most definitely they have had to clear all the clips with the studios. Shouldn't have been a problem because they're all tiny tiny clips of movies. But they would have had to clear the clips --- some just the movies, some using the image of the celebrity and the movie, depending on the whole rights usage stuff.
Even for the US-only audience, I felt "Hello" and the movie clips of people saying "Hello", in a chronological fashion, mostly, was cute, on message, on target audience (educated, male/female movie/celebrity enthusiasts, etc. etc.).

I would have preferred a bit more weighting of the ad on the actual product shot and the "Apple iPhone" words, but generally for the US audience, I think the product shot, "Apple iPhone" words, and logo, had sufficient airtime for a teaser for something to come really, 4 months away which is a LONG time.
post #110 of 113
Oh, and Cars lost to Happy Feet. Maybe it was an environmental thing. Gas-guzzling, polluting anthropomorphised vehicles as opposed to cute little furry things facing the death sentence of global warming. ... I dunno... I watched Cars but not Happy Feet.
post #111 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Gas-guzzling, polluting anthropomorphised vehicles as opposed to cute little furry things.......



Yup, exactly like those cars and planes that Mr. Gore rides around in, delivering those uplifting global warming speeches. (I kinda like him, btw; at least, he sounds intelligent).
post #112 of 113
Well, it's not a one time deal. I just saw it run again during The Daily Show. I assume it's probably been around network TV tonight too.

I'm guessing they'll run it for two or three weeks.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #113 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

You're right, it probably doesn't make too much difference for the main type of usage this product is aimed at, but if I was Apple, which I'm not(!), I would slip in the latest spec 3.2MP or 5MP Camera module
- if only to keep up with the likes of Nokia, Sony, Samsung etc
- and to save having to defend a preceived weakness
\

I wonder how the quality is of the higher megapixel camera models is. David Pogue has covered this, and the upshot is that higher megapixels in a camera phone may not mean higher quality because the sensors have to be smaller to fit with the form factor. For details, see:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C0A9619C8B63

I know Steve would rather give us a good camera than an unusable camera with good specs.

That being said, it seems like most smartphones popular in the US have pretty weak cameras. The BlackBerry Pearl, for example, has a 1.3 megapixel camera. The T-Mobile Sidekick III has the same. So do most Palm Treo models, and the only exception is even worse, at VGA resolution. The Cingular 8125, which seems like the device most competitive with the iPhone(*), has a 1.3mp camera.

I know there's a Nokia N95 somewhere that blows everything out of the water spec-wise for something like $700, but I haven't been able to find it or anything similar on Cingular's site.

So if we're talking about existing smartphones, it looks to me like those 3+ megapixel phones are unavailable in the US, and are certainly not part of the mainstream market here. 2MP seems like a very good spec for a smartphone that's on sale in the United States.

I certainly would like to see a better phone camera, but my impression is that the optics are awful for most of them anyway, and so there is a limit to how good quality can become. I'd certainly keep an open mind on this, but let's just say that i'm not getting rid of my DSLR any time soon, for ANY phone camera.

D

(*) The 8125 uses that ghastly Windows Mobile OS, but in its defense I was able to browse the web fairly well. However, the mechanisms for scrolling around web page content were downright pitiful, especially compared to the iPhone. The display is also a lot smaller. However, the phone is $250 with contract ($499 without).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars